main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Sherlock] Perhaps It's Elementary (UDC 5 & UDC 4) UPDATED 02/04/2012!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Yes, it is a wonderful character and a wonderful show. [face_love] I'm glad you enjoyed! [:D]

I'm hoping that now I'm on holiday, I'll be able to put out some more drabbles. I am have every intention on finishing the UCD4 prompts, after all, and my Muse is itching to write some Sherlock again. Silly school and rehearsals for getting in the way of that for the past three months! [face_laugh] 8-}

Deb, I'm terribly amused that you had to get an Idri fix! [face_laugh] [:D]

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It?s back!

It?s been a while, but since I just started UDC VI, I was in drabble-writing mode, so I decided to continue the sets for UDC IV. Besides, Sherlock is awesome and I just re-watched the first episode not too long ago. [face_love]

I?m breaking my writer?s block! Wahooo! :D

[blockquote][b]XXIII[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Truth[/b]

John was staring at a partial blogpost when Sherlock entered, heard the clacking of the keyboard, and stepped out again.

One paragraph later, he returned.

?I hate your blog.?

?Good for you.?

?It?s a travesty of facts that parodies the uses of fine English grammar and is, quite frankly, some of the worst writing ever? [i]written.?[/i]

?Thanks for the high opinion, I appreciate it.?

?The truth hurts, John.? He paused.

John waited.

?I would like you to stop writing your blog,? Sherlock said.

John looked up from the screen. ?I?m sorry, Sherlock, but I won?t. The truth hurts, doesn?t it??

[b]Trust[/b]

?No.?

?Why not??

?Definitely not, Sherlock!?

?You?ve been in a particularly passive mood this week. Please hurry up and get over it.?

?There?s nothing to ?get? over ? I just don?t think breaking into a high-security government building is a good idea!?

?Mycroft can bail us out if we get caught ? which, for clarification, we will not.?

[i]?No.?[/i]

Sherlock sighed, clambering over the fence anyway. ?I can believe you still don?t trust me,? he grunted, touching foot on the ground.

A siren went off.

?What did I tell you?? John said, watching Sherlock attempt to scale the fence before security arrived.

[b]Honour[/b]

Under the promise of remaining silent, John watched as Sherlock intensely sorted through file upon file, attempting to find some obscure reference printed over a decade ago.

It was also two o?clock in the morning and the only reason they were still here was because Sherlock had lifted Lestrade?s pass. Again.

?Aha!? he said triumphantly. ?Got it.?

He pocketed the files.

?I?m guessing you don?t have permission to take that.?

Sherlock shrugged. ?Why would I??

?So, you?re effectively stealing from the police.?

?That?s a crude way of putting it, but yes, I am.?

John rolled his eyes. ?God help us.?

[b]Loyalty[/b]

They pulled him back and he gasped, gulping in painful breaths of cold air.

?Please be assured, Dr Watson, this is child?s play.?

He shook, blinking water out of his eyes. ?I?d? like to? catch my breath? before I answer questions, thanks.?

?Where is the location of Sherlock Holmes??

?I don?t know.?

They forced him under the water again.

When he came back up, he spluttered and coughed. ?I don?t know!?

?You?re his friend, are you not? Surely he shares his information with you??

?Actually, he?s been very cryptic this past week. I?ll be of no use to you.?

[b]Love[/b]

It was a blur to him ? blinding, watery darkness, pain and gunshots, and then it was over. That was typically how things went.

?It?s about time,? John said as Sherlock helped him up.

?I agree.?

?You were cutting it pretty close.?

?In my defence, it does take time to set up an appropriate dramatic entrance.?

?Couldn?t you have skipped it??

?Absolutely not! It builds character.?

John stopped walking. ?I hope you?re joking, Sherlock, because if you?re not, I?m going to bloody kill you.?

Sherlock paused. ?I apologise,? he said. ?I haven?t nearly as much experience rescuing people as you do.?

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I have missed these! (And a shout and a squee! for the bygones of writer's block! :D)

Truth: Oh, I am so glad that you took the banter route for this week. We have been sorely bereft of the Sherlock banter as of late. :cool:

Trust: That was a mental image to cherish! Oh, that would have been a fun call to Mycroft. :p

Honour: I love how the best criminal detective to speak of has no conscience of his own. [face_laugh]

Loyalty: [face_laugh]!! You know . . . past the whole torture and very bad badguys. :p

Love: So, does the prompt for the drabble go for their epic bromance, or Sherlock's love for flash and show? [face_laugh] Watson's pique was perfect here, as was Sherlock's bafflement. Classic.

Wonderfully done, as always. =D=

~MJ @};-

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    So, I kind of went on a mini writing spree after a Sherlock kick while I was on vacation. The writing juices are flowing, once again, for this fandom and I finished off the rest of the UDC 4 prompts. I?ll be posting one set a week, for your reading pleasure. ;)

I also wanted to say thanks to those who nommed this series for the awards! :* [:D]

[blockquote][b]XXIV[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Gaze[/b]

When you first met him, you couldn?t help but let yourself be captivated. His manic mode of speech was intriguing, his intelligence mystifying, his appearance enigmatic. He could be kind ? a flattering word there, a sugared smile here. A man of Byronic appeal.

That was until you realised the only reason he was speaking to you was because he wanted something. Once you gave it to him, he was quick to crush any self-esteem you had and felt free to continue to pester you whenever he desired.

Sally was determined to never have any illusions about Sherlock Holmes ever again.

[b]Wink[/b]

She could have sworn he had winked at her the first time she saw him. She had so many butterflies in her stomach that afternoon. She never caught the attention of any men ? let alone a man like Sherlock.

Molly knew better now. For years he had torn her down only to flatter her back into smiles and giggles and hopes. She was tired of it. She deserved to be treated better, and she was determined to prove it.

She had, after all, just slammed the mortuary door closed on his fingers. The obscenities that followed were delightful to hear.

[b]Distance[/b]

There was an unspoken agreement between them that John would come to her flat. She would only visit his if it was absolutely necessary, or if Sherlock was out of the country.

It wasn?t that she didn?t like him; she had only deep respect for the man. However, that did not mean she wanted to be embroiled in his lifestyle. It was enough that he pulled John into his dangerous adventures. As she felt her presence gave John some semblance of a regular life, Sherlock didn?t need to have the pair of them.

Sarah doubted he would want her, anyway.

[b]Cold as Ice[/b]

She never knew the name of the man she was forced to speak to. Her life was in his hands, placed in his ability to solve the puzzle his nameless, faceless hunter had laid out for him. But when he spoke back, his words meant for another, the only thing she could think of was how cold his voice was, how impassive, as if he could not understand that human lives were at stake.

She sobbed, her hands shaking, but she was desperate not to drop the pager lest she cause [i]them[/i] to blow up the car.

[i]Save me. Please.[/i]

[b]Eternal Flame[/b]

Some mornings, she awoke to the smell of burnt toast, others to a screeching violin. Then there were the disturbing mornings when she smelled the foulness that was formaldehyde (or so Dr Watson had informed her) when she got up to use the loo in the wee hours. Those were the times when the desire to kick Sherlock out almost became a reality, but she could never do it.

After all, Mrs Hudson didn?t know what she would do without him. He was practically a son to her ? a thoroughly irritating, yet endearing, son who had never truly grown up.

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Idri!! [:D][face_dancing]

I am so glad to see new material from you here! It has been too long. :D

Gaze: A wonderful insight into Donovan's character. I especially loved the Byronic comparission, oh, with a coat like that, who could disagree. [face_laugh]

Wink: Molly! Poor adorable Molly, shutting the door on his fingers. That was priceless! :D This was probably my favorite of the set, but then again, I am a wee bit biased. ;)

Distance: Can't say I blame Sarah for her thoughts. :p

Cold as Ice: Oh, this was a POV that I didn't think to hear from! The desperation and the anguish here was perfectly portrayed.

Eternal Flame: Great way to apply the prompt. Mrs. Hudson is a trip, and I liked the references to Sherlock's odd slew of activities. :p

=D=

~MJ @};-

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Idri! Oh yes! Great set! Eternal Flame and Distance -- my favorites this time.

[face_batting] Now, can we see some more Tangled stuff from you? :) @};-

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Those were awesome! Sweet and funny and sad at the same time.

My favorite was the second. Go Molly!

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mira
    Yeah, it?s nice to be posting something again. Though I really don?t have time for writing anymore? 8-} Oh well, you do what you do because you want to. :p

I was re-watching the episodes and for some reason, the way Donovan is portrayed and the way she delivers some of her lines makes me think that she once was a little bit like Molly ? until she got smart and bitter. :p The woman in the car was an experiment; I wanted to do a sort of over-all theme for this set ? the theme being the female characters on the show reflecting on the protagonist. :p However, there?s really only Donovan, Molly, Sarah and Mrs Hudson, so I needed to think of a fifth one and eventually settled on that. :p

Jade_eyes
    Thanks! More Tangled stuff, eh? Let me re-watch the film and maybe that will provoke me into finishing UDC6. :p

Nat
    You?re becoming like Mira. ;) [face_laugh]

I?m glad you all enjoyed. :) [:D]

[blockquote][b]XXV[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Steps[/b]

It was impossible to tell if Sherlock wanted to be famous.

On one hand, he took great pride in himself and his work (as evident by his website and the ostentatious way he set about dissecting police investigations). On the other, he hated being around people whom he deemed ?lesser? than him (which was pretty much everyone).

On one hand, he loved being flattered by comments such as ?brilliant? and ?intriguing?. On the other, he was incompetent when it came to social interactions (any witnessed conversation with Molly quickly led to embarrassment on the observer's part).

This argument went nowhere.

[b]Stride[/b]

When he was a child, he wanted to be famous. The world was supposed to revolve around him, but instead it shunned and ignored him, leaving him to watch the other kids with the shiny playthings he could never have.

How foolish his mind had been then, desperate for glittery (but temporary) joys. There was much more sophisticated pleasure to be found in the darkness behind the stage. Now he pulled the strings, watching the world react. He was no more than a phantom to them, but from this vantage point, the world became [i]his[/i] plaything.

And it was glorious.

[b]Stumble[/b]

As a male DI, it took much resistance to embarrassment to admit he had once wanted to be an actor.

Fame?s allure had worn off with time, but he wondered whether it would have been a better life, the actor?s world of make-believe? and then he would walk into a room of journalists, thanking God he had had the sense to ignore that childish need to be seen and appreciated.

But then ? particularly after a day of witnessing the worst humanity could offer ? he would speculate whether it would have been better to pretend, rather than see it for real.

[b]Leap[/b]

It was ridiculous.

But then much of his life after meeting Sherlock had been ridiculous.

His blog hadn?t meant to be much. But as the years rolled on and he continued recounting the idiosyncratic genius of his flatmate and the bizarre, dangerous cases, the number of hits continued to grow until he had thousands of followers from every country imaginable and he was pestered by e-mailed requests from television programmes for interviews and book companies for publishing rights.

After a while, Sherlock said that accidental fame suited him, but warned against getting an ?inflated ego?.

That was ridiculous as well.

[b]Fall[/b]

Jealousy was a purposeless emotion; when it wasn?t harassing him, it was replaced by irritating feelings of resentment for a [i]blog. [/i]

So what if John wrote it? So what if it had more hits than his own website? Hit numbers lied ? most of those people probably didn?t even read it, they probably got there by accident.

These accidental visitors had accidentally made John famous; now people wanted to talk to his flatmate about [i]him.[/i] Why they couldn?t be bothered to talk to [i]him[/i] about himself, he didn?t know?

? but he wouldn?t want to talk to them anyway, the dullards.

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These drabbles are becoming a bright spot in my Sundays again. [face_love]

We all can understand hectic schedules! It does make the snippets that make it through that much more enjoyable to read though. ;)

I can totally and a hundred percent see that happening. On that note, I would love to see some more Sally/Sherlock background. [face_thinking] Not to already turn into a pushy reader. :p

Mwaha! My evil plan is working. [face_devil];)

Now, for this week:

Steps: 8-}:oops: All very, very true. The man is a riddle wrapped inside an enigma, and labeled: migraine. :p

Stride: This one! [face_love][face_hypnotized] Your theme for this set is brilliant, and I particularly liked the look at Moriarty's thoughts here. So chilling and very cat-and-mouse-esque. :)

Stumble: You have a knack for writing Lestrade. =D= I liked the punch of this one - I went from grinning at his childhood aspirations, to sobering at the last few lines. Very nicely done.

Leap: [face_laugh] You just have these two down. :p I could totally see John's shy brand of modesty here. :)

Fall: Sherlock, you child! [face_laugh] Seriously, when the man is not busy being brilliant, he reminds me of a sullen kindergartner. :p

Another great set. =D=

~MJ @};-

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very ironic set contrasting the pursuit of fame versus the accidental acquiring of it.

Sherlock does all the brain work but John gets all the props and attention [face_thinking] o_O Each person's talents is the source of the other one's ability to showcase theirs, but the public goes after the one who's more out there. :p

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Well, I like Mira, so I'll take that as a compliment :p

These were hilarious! I love how they circled around and came back to the first idea (Sherlock being famous--or not).

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I wanted to thank everyone who voted for this story in the Best Non-SFF category. I am truly deeply honoured that you guys like this series so much and think it is fitting for such an award. You're the best! :* [:D]

Mira
    Hopefully I can stick to my schedule, then! :p [face_laugh] I was almost tempted not to update today because I didn?t want to be online (let?s just say my life is one big THEATRE EXPLOSION WITH CONFETTI AND LIGHTS! and therefore I?d rather be in a studio working at the moment), but then I had to go online anyway, so I remembered I had to update. :p

When I was re-watching A Study in Pink, there were some ways Donovan?s lines came out that implied, to my whacky brain, that there was something else making her very bitter towards him than simple irritation and annoyance. :p

This set?s theme was fun to work with. Things just kind of rolled out nicely. :)

Jade_eyes
    Yeah, that?s exactly the effect I was going for. Irony is fun to poke at. :p :)

Nat
    I?d hope you like Mira, you mod with her. :p I?m in a circular mood right now. Everything comes back to where it begins. It?s very wibbly that way. (I?ve been watching too much Doctor Who :p ).

Thanks for reading, all! [:D]

[blockquote][b]XXVI[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Gallant[/b]

She folded her arms, brow knitted, her lips turned downwards in a frown.

?Hm,? she said.

?What?? he snapped.

?Oh, nothing?? Her stance did not change, but her expression softened. She looked at him in a very odd manner, as if she was appraising him for some? feminine purpose. He should have been able to tell, but this was not ? as he continually insisted ? his area of expertise.

?I do believe I have fulfilled the societal demands for what we call ?an apology.??

She laughed. ?I?m surprised.?

?Why??

?I wasn?t expecting an apology at all. That?s quite novel of you.?

[b]Filial[/b]

He had always known someone like Sherlock Holmes was out there; he just hadn?t been able to pin a name on him until now.

Even when he was just beginning to toy with the idea of forging a lifestyle out of the humanity?s corrupt nature, he had always felt the presence of someone balancing out the equation. For every crime he established, every mystery he planned, there was another to decode it, breathing life into his art.

It was only natural that they would eventually be drawn together.

He liked to think he was the one who triggered the drawing.

[b]Vexation[/b]

He had become accustomed to being attacked in his drawing room.

Somehow, the certain people managed to send him messages, ones that were usually literally [i]pointed[/i] in some way.

He preferred not to talk about these encounters; they wouldn?t lead to any worthwhile conversations. The visits did, however, usually leave visual marks ? a scuff here, a scratch there, a smashed mirror. When John or Mrs Hudson inquired what happened, he had two excuses.

One: boredom.

Two: a severe case of vexation.

?Your moods make [i]me[/i] ?vexed?,? Mrs Hudson would say, before tramping off to add the damage to his bill.

[b]Sublime[/b]

They offered him a blanket.

No applause, no words of appreciation, just some blanket to designate his ?in shock? status. Every time he tried (politely) handing it back, they shoved it back around his shoulders.

He attempted to look ?in shock? to satisfy them, but he quickly became bored and began speculating multiple methods to sieve money off his brother without Mycroft noticing.

It was a lengthy process. Mycroft was Mycroft ? the only thing he was good for was providing an avenue for time-wasting hypothetical situations when Sherlock had time to waste.

That, and governmental aide, when it was necessary.

[b]Superficial[/b]

?What?!?

(John wondered how many times an argument began with ?what?!?)

?This? isn?t how it should be.?

?I cleaned it.?

?Bravo! Are you looking for congratulations? I won?t give you any??

(Of course not.)

??you hardly deserve it, I can?t find anything now??

(It was best to let the rant run

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Gallant: [face_laugh] Yeah, she wouldn?t :p
    Filial: Moriarty?s creepy . . . and a bit conceited :p
    Vexation: He had become accustomed to being attacked in his drawing room. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Sublime: This was hilarious :D (And so was that scene from the show :p )
    Superficial: [face_laugh] Sometimes I wonder why John puts up with him :p

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I hope the show biz is treating you right! It is good to get these snippets when the stage light can spare you. ;) [:D]

Gallant: [face_laugh] Priceless and sublime interaction. :) I loved Sherlock's 'confusion' over her behavior, and her wry surprise at actually receiving an apology. That's precisely how that would pan out. :p

Filial: Oh, this. [face_love] Great use of the prompt, and awesome twisted Moriarty characterization. :cool:

Vexation: [face_laugh]!!!!

Sublime: [face_laugh] Oh, I totally choked back laughter with this one. I loved the mental image of Sherlock trying to pickpocket, and the expansion of 'the' shock blanket. :p

Superficial: Oh, use of the parenthesis for the win! :cool: Great, great exercise with style.

[:D]

~MJ @};-

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    New Years Resolution ? don?t fall off the writing map. :p

I?ve had the next (many) sets written since August/September, but unfortunately fell into a pattern of not posting when my life exploded. My life is still in the process of exploding (I hear that?s a situation that?s never going to end), so I decided I really should start posting these again anyway.

If I write more following this (highly likely thanks to the second series of Sherlock currently ongoing as of this post), hopefully I can keep the Drabble Muse going this time. ;)

(Wishful thinking, but I like to be positive! :D )

Thanks to all those of you who are coming back to read again. [:D]

[blockquote][b]XXVII[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Arch[/b]

She would have liked to say he changed her life. She would have liked to say he was her other half. Perhaps a couple years ago she would have nestled comfortably against the schmaltzy romantic wording.

The truth was different.

The truth was he changed [i]her.[/i] He had drawn her out, like a hunter and his prey, but instead of slicing her throat, he had wrung her dry until she was shrivelled like a raisin. Then he had painstakingly rebuilt her piece by piece, giving her no choice but to accept this new version of herself.

She was his creation.

[b]Ornament[/b]

She had valuable skills, he said, when she asked why he had chosen her.

?Did you think it was for your winning personality?? he said.

She should have been hurt by that, but she didn?t say anything. She merely continued cleaning her scalpels. They needed more cleaning these days; their pristine quality was something she held on to, as if it were the last shred of her previous life.

?I?m grateful,? she said.

He laughed, touching her arm. She had trained herself not to shudder at his touch.

She had ? once.

?You have a long way to go,? he said.

[b]Vault[/b]

Her real self was buried somewhere deep: the question was whether she was climbing away from it or burrowing towards it.

He sometimes got lost in that metaphor; he was a words person. She wasn?t.

(Not anymore. Her now extinct romantic side had been.)

She was all scalpel and analysis, cold mind, cold hands. Pristine precision. Cut, cut, cut. He said she could be far more terrifying than he, with her cool scientist?s detachment.

Life was her playing field, much as people?s minds were his. His honeyed words could persuade them of anything; her precise hands could persuade their bodies.

[b]Bridge[/b]

There were still echoing remnants of her past self, mostly present in the mortuary during the day when she had visitors, when Holmes and Watson came to visit, to make demands of her, occasionally dragging DI Lestrade along. [i]Then[/i] she could be the nervous, giddy girl, the one who smiled tentatively whenever Holmes looked at her.

She could be that, but underneath she wasn?t. Underneath, she was the one helping to turn the wheels, the one seeking to foil Holmes? next action.

Her position was laughably perfect. Holmes never suspected her. She was just the scalpel-wielding coffee girl to him.

[b]Exit[/b]

She wasn?t allowed to revel aloud.

He did. He loved gloating, after all.

They celebrated; sometimes he took her out.

He drank.

He had her drink.

By then she didn?t mind the way his mouth would find its way to hers, the feel of his hands on her body. She relished those hours, though they dulled her mind. Once, the wine made her go a word too far in the wrong direction. He became very calm then, observing her with level eyes.

?Dear Molly, when did I ever say I [i]needed[/i] you?? Jim Moriarty said, honeyed smile washing over her.

[hr]

Yes, Mira, this one was written specifically for you, O Great Creator of the Creepy Molly/Moriarty Pairing. :x [face_hugs]

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I started reading these under the assumption you were talking about Adler. And then I went, "Hold on... wait, what?"

Thank you very much for confusing me. :p

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Your muse went M&M on us, and you waited this long to post the gems that resulted? Shame upon you! [face_laugh]

And, on that note, I started thinking Alder as well with the first, and then by the second I was a complete and flailing OMG but there are scalpels! . . . It was kind of frightening, just how much love just reading that inspired.

Arch: So distant and cold and utterly lovely. I love the new and calculating Molly that thrives with Jim, and I especially loved the references to her prior romanticism, such a juxtaposition. =D=

Ornament: I love how the prompt for this drabble can be taken two different ways. :p Molly cleaning her scalpels is such a wonderful mental image - symbol, even, at that, with all of the added reasons she's had of late to clean them. And Jim's cold mental games are a true delight.

Vault: She was all scalpel and analysis, cold mind, cold hands. Pristine precision. Cut, cut, cut. He said she could be far more terrifying than he, with her cool scientist?s detachment. This, this, this, and more of this. Them, in a nutshell. [face_love]

Bridge: And that is the delicious part of the game, just how much Holmes really does see though her. It really does give her giddy fangirl-ness a reason.

Exit: And you killed me dead. [face_love] Just . . . this. Every syllable of it. I love her silence - like she is a painting or some other look of art, and his gloating, and the dangerous sensuality of it, and the last line.

If you decided to delve further into this twisted little world, I would not object. :p

~MJ @};-

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mar
    You're welcome. :p When I was re-reading the set, I realised it did kind of sound like Adler. I thought about changing the pronouns at the beginning to make it clearer that it was based on a hypothetical Molly/Moriarty scenario, but then I thought - what the hell? [face_devil]

Mira
    I had a feeling you'd say that, lol! [face_laugh] Yeah... I hid these pretty well from you for quite a long time. [face_blush] I'm glad you enjoyed. They are quite a sinister, deliciously creepy couple to write, aren't they? Most likely hypothetical still (unfortunately) at this point, but that's the purpose of an AU. :p ;)

(I don't have a posting schedule, but I have many of these. What the hell... I'll post them as I feel like it, which will probably coincide with how stressed out I start feeling within the next three weeks [face_laugh] )

[blockquote][b]XXVIII[/b][/blockquote]

[b]A Little Bit of This[/b]

When he was three years old, Mother told him to open his eyes and watch the world. She had said so in an off-hand manner, as she was too engaged in her own work to pay him full attention. His young mind, however, didn?t accept that it was merely a ploy to keep him occupied, and he took her words to heart.

At some point, she must have noticed the change. Eventually, she began to encourage him ? it kept him out from underfoot when she needed to concentrate.

She probably couldn?t have guessed how that encouragement would shape his life.

[b]Anything But That[/b]

She would always be ?Mummy?.

Mycroft enjoyed referring to her as such when they were seen in public together. It was a verbal ploy to highlight to those around them that Sherlock would always be the younger, less sophisticated one ? quicker to anger, quicker to react to Mycroft?s carefully calculated terminology.

Until his brother could leave ?Mummy? alone (which he doubted ? it was too useful a tactic), ?Mummy? would remain, hovering between them, holding them together with an invisible grip.

He had attempted to find a way of using ?Mummy? against his brother, but Mycroft was impervious to her memory.

[b]Not for Nothing[/b]

As he grew up, he always found he was standing in Mycroft?s shadow. Such was the fate of younger siblings; they always had to live up to, and surpass, the standards set by their elders. If they didn?t, some adult somewhere ? teacher, parent, aunt or uncle ? would look down their nose at the unfortunate child and sigh in a disappointed way.

He aimed never to disappoint.

It was an extremely difficult job.

He failed most of the time.

Though that was, he said later, because no one but Mother seemed to see the brilliance in the way he solved puzzles.

[b]Everything Else[/b]

It always surprised people when they learned he had a brother ? he must give off such an enigmatic air that it was simpler for people to think of him without a family. It was a blunt assumption; he had to come from somewhere. Everyone did.

He preferred to keep ?somewhere? swept quietly beneath the table; otherwise, it would come back to bite him at the least opportune moment.

Everyone had their secrets, him included. But unlike others, he knew exactly what to do with his secrets ? hide them, stash them, leave them to rot.

He was better off without them.

[b]What Matters Most[/b]

When Mycroft visited (which was only when he wanted to coerce his younger brother into doing something for him), there was an exchange of the usual pleasantries. ?You?re beginning to nest in here? (accompanied by the contemptuous knocking of an umbrella point on the floor) and ?Your diet?s suiting you well, have you added an exercise routine?? (timed just right so Mrs Hudson would appear with a plate of treats).

But if someone else was present, the game changed. Nothing could escape their eyes, particularly when they had the same target.

It was difficult to say who won those matches.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay, Idri and her drabbles are back!

The M/M set was really creepy!! And fun :D

I liked the Sherlock and Mycroft set a lot, too. It was cool to see their sibling relationship explored.

Can't wait for more! :D

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Three cheers for random posting! I approve. :cool:

Most likely hypothetical still (unfortunately) at this point, but that's the purpose of an AU.

Curses, my evil plot to make M&M canon is so far foiled. :p

A Little Bit of This: That is for certain. 8-}

Anything but That: Ah, siblings. :p And I loved the "Mummy" being explained. Only them.

Not For Nothing: Great family dynamics. =D= I especially loved the last line.

Everything Else: I was one of those who always assumed Sherlock arrived fully grown and brilliant from the thin air, so that is understandable.

What Matters Most: Tag teaming, for the win! This last one was excellent. =D=

~MJ @};-

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Nat
    Yes, I am! And hopefully trying to create a schedule that I can keep to. 8-} I like exploring the relationship between the two brothers; it's a step they took in the second series, which was a blast to watch. Hopefully once I'm done with my currently written drabbles, I'll be able to do more that are centered on it. :)

Mira
    Yay!, random posting!!!

Family dynamics... who doesn't love them? :p

So, I'm taking a scriptwriting class right now and my prof asked us to submit some writing samples. Naturally, I went ahead and unloaded a whole bunch of fanfic on his head. He didn't seem to have any objections, which was good, though I did have to say that I didn't really care about objections, since the point of the samples was to see how I write. Anyway, for good measure, I threw in some Sherlock drabbles. He liked them. Yay! So this series is now professor-approved. 8-}

[blockquote][b]XXIX[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Necklace[/b]

?This isn?t the right necklace.?

The jeweller frowned, taking the pearls from Sherlock?s hands. ?Of course it is,? he said, sliding it under the light to take a second look. ?I examined it myself.?

?Then your examination was faulty,? Sherlock said.

?But they come from the right dealer, they?re the right age, the right shape, the correct kind of clasp.? The jeweller was going red in the face, looking flustered.

?Yes, indeed ? however, that necklace has never been worn. It?s obvious if you look at the clasp.? Sherlock smiled. ?You wouldn?t happen to know anything about that, now would you??

[b]Earrings[/b]

?Earrings? What do ? Sherlock!?

He was already in her room, searching.

?When hiding in plain sight, one must dress accordingly. Will these do??

[i]?That?s[/i] costume jewellery, dear.?

?Is it? It?s hard to tell.?

He [i]could[/i] tell. He could probably tell her exactly which party she?d bought them for.

?Why can?t you get your own??

?Mrs Hudson, you?re the only woman with whom I am currently on decent enough terms to borrow jewellery.?

?I doubt there?s any woman with whom you are on decent enough terms to borrow jewellery.?

He stared at her.

?These will do nicely. Have a nice day!?

[b]Watch[/b]

There was the expression ?wearing your heart on your sleeve?.

He?d always thought it more appropriate to say ?wearing a watch beneath your sleeve.? There was much to be said about watches ? adult watches, pocket watches, no watches. He could tell half a person?s life story just by looking at their watch. Economic status was the easiest, written in the watch type. With an antique, the family relationship was there. With a dead battery, personality traits began to show.

He had sworn off wearing watches. It was easier to check his phone, anyway ? which no doubt said something about him.

[b]Belt[/b]

John told him he needed to eat more. He said he didn?t eat when he was working. It interrupted his thinking; too much energy was put into digestion, when he needed it for his brain.

Recently, he had been doing a lot of thinking ? it was evident from the way his clothes refused to fit. Everything was too big now; it was getting difficult to run around London with his trousers threatening to slide down.

John told him to eat.

He argued eating was for his brother.

John gave up and offered him a belt to solve the trouser problem.

[b]Ring[/b]

They argued about the ring.

By then he had already seen it; curiosity had gotten the better of him, even though he had no interest whatsoever in the superfluous societal function that was marriage. But he felt John needed to show it to him in person, so he brought the topic up and weaselled the ring out of him.

It was pretty, as far as rocks went. Diamond and gold, simple and modern. Nothing out of the ordinary.

In other words ? dull.

John didn?t think much of that comment.

?Well, then it?s a good thing I?m not proposing to you.?

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Another fun set! And Professor-approved at that! Look at you go! [:D]

Ring was definitely my favorite of this set - the constant quips about Sherlock and John's not-a-relationship always crack me up. :p

But this:

John told him to eat.

He argued eating was for his brother.

Just made me giggle. Such a Sherlock thing to say. The child. :p

As a whole, a fantastic insight on his character - again. Well done. =D=

~MJ @};-

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Very cool!!

He had sworn off wearing watches. It was easier to check his phone, anyway ? which no doubt said something about him.

I think it does :p

Great set!! I love Mrs. Hudson :D And aww, John's proposing!