main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY SheVaCon 2011 Report

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    You probably noticed I was pretty quiet this weekend. That's because I was on the road visiting the in-laws in Abingdon Va and attending SheVaCon in Roanoke. SheVaCon was great! The hotel was super nice...nice restaurant(s), indoor pool, hot tub and very up to date gym. The Con itself was very well run and there was a lot to do. The con was very fan group friendly and any group you could think of was represented. The fan groups also had their own joint parties Friday and Saturday night. Everyone was very friendly. The joint 501st/RL area was the best I've seen with the exception of Celebration. I took part in 2 panels (Meet the Rebel Legion and Rebel Costuming) and did my table shift of course. The girl scouts were there with a table selling cookies and I got some regional cookies you can't get here. I picked up some great deals at the Charity Auction (a $60 Sandtrooper backback??) and Art Auction (original Matt Busch paintings!). The costume contest was only so-so. Twelve entries but 3 of those shouldn't have even been allowed in (cat ears and a tail is not a costume). Next year they're promoting Jeremy Bulloch, Randy Martinez and Denise Vasquez as guests. If we're not working Mrs jedimika and I plan to be there!

The pics I took are here...
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/SheVaCon%202011/?start=all

Oh, and you could have your photo professionally done and green screened for a donation to Make a Wish.
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/jedimika/SheVaCon%202011/dsc_0457a.jpg]

That's me and R2-KT. For those that don't know R2-KT her story is here...
    http://www.r2kt.com/

2. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002

That is awesome! I would love to be able to do that...I might have to go once I finally get something figured costume wise. Unfortunately, that will be well into the future due to all the financial stuff going on right now.

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Remember you don't need a costume to enjoy yourself at a con. In fact sometimes it's a hinderance.

4. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Looks like a really great con! I am definitely interested in going next year if I can. What Matt Busch paintings did you get?

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I got an original Angelina Jolie and a Six/Baltar painting. I also picked up several signed prints.

6. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    Sorry I'm late in posting, but because of a project I'm working on for the Dark Empire, I've been pretty dang busy myself. By the time I'm done there, the last thing I wanta do is go to another site. LOL!! I've slowed myself down there tho... I need to spread my attentions closer to home. Home is where the heart is ya know. [face_love]

First I want to thank you again Mika for sending those folks to the Dark Empire. They joined the boards and hopefully they'll have a costume before long.

GREAT photos! This Con looks like it's definitely worth attending. Can you PM me with some good hotel choices, etc? And should I book early for next year? I might even have a table for the Dark Empire. Depends on how long the drive is. [face_batting]

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    The hotel the con was at was fine, no reason to stay anywhere else. Nice rooms and facilities. It's probably about a 7 hour drive? I'm not sure because we stopped overnight at the in-laws. It was about 5 hours to their place and then another 2 hours past that but we may not have went the shortest route. I wouldn't worry too much about pre-registering just yet. I reserved my room and badge in December and Mrs jedimika got her badge at the door no problems.

8. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    Seven hour drive huh? Well, I guess that leaves a Dark Empire Table out. I wouldn't want to drive to an event by myself and have to deal with loading and un-loading all the props, swag, and things.

So far as a room and such, I'll take your advice and wait till later. Thanks Mika. [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.