"Shield of Lies," by Michael P. Kube-McDowell [Bantam, 1996]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Jan 25, 2004.

?

"Shield of Lies," by Michael P. Kube-McDowell [Bantam, 1996]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 1 vote(s) 5.6%
9 2 vote(s) 11.1%
8 4 vote(s) 22.2%
7 3 vote(s) 16.7%
6 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
5 (Average) 2 vote(s) 11.1%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 1 vote(s) 5.6%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 5 vote(s) 27.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Shield of Lies by Michael P. Kube-McDowell

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/bfct_sol.jpg]

Synoposis

As Leia must deal with a new threat to the fragile alliance that binds the New Republic, Lando becomes a prisoner aboard a runaway spacecraft of unknown origin. Luke continues his quest to learn more about his mother among the Fallanassi, where his every belief about the use of the Force is about to be challenged. And while Leia ponders a diplomatic solution to the aggession of the fierce Yevethan race, Han pilots a spy ship into the heart of Yevethan space and faces a vast fleet of warships under the command of a ruthless leader--a fleet more than a match for the New Republic's forces. . .
  3. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I gave this book a 7 mainly due to the Luke scenes.

I liked the entire concept of the Vagabond especially since Lando and Lobot were key characters!

The political and military spectrums were also very well written and were the best parts of the book.

Luke? Well, this is probably the only series where I wished Luke would keel over and die. Or at least turn to the dark side and kill Akanah.
  4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I give it 10/10, despite the horrendous Luke sections. Leia's and Lando's parts more than made up for it.
  5. GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    1/10.

We know from the beginning that Luke's not going to find his mother, so why bother writing a book about it? This whole trilogy was pointless.
  6. darkladyhannasolo Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I give this book a 8/10. My best parts were the Luke and Leia. I skipped most of the Lando stuff. It was too boring.
  7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    We know from the beginning that Luke's not going to find his mother, so why bother writing a book about it? This whole trilogy was pointless.

That's called dramatic irony. We (the audience) know about Amidala, but Luke doesn't.
  8. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    We know from the beginning that Luke's not going to find his mother

Now we know, but not at the time it was published(at least I didn't know).
  9. ReconSEAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    it was ok 7/10. The Luke scenes were horrible, but the villans made up for it. "Black Fleet Crisis' was better IMHO
  10. Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Pacing, pacing, pacing. I can't say it enough. The book really suffers from a poor editing decision to split it into three parts. The lack of intercutting between scenes makes Lando's 90-odd pages totally unreadable, and Luke's very annoying. Leia's section is the only one worth reading, and even then is a bore after nearly 100 pages.

11. upchuda Jedi Youngling

Not good at all. Luke's story doesn't fit his character at all, and Lando's and Leia's storylines are very boring. It goes well beyond the typical bridge syndrome that some trilogies suffer from. Even worse is the way the novel was split into three seperate stories. This made it incredibly hard for me to get through it.
  12. neeldawg66 Jedi Master

star 8

This book suffers a little more from the Luke scenes than the rest of the series IMHO, but it's still a good read.
  13. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.