main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Shifting Sands of the Desert - Obi/Siri/L - Post-ROTS AU - Updated 7/29/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Boomergirl, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomergirl

Boomergirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2005
    Disclaimer: George owns all.

Shifting Sands of the Desert

Chapter One

The awakening was terrible. A strangled howl in the predawn hours that wrenched out cold sweat over Obi-Wan?s body. He felt his heart pounding a savage staccato beat in his chest and felt his breaths come fast and shallow.

Within the mists of the night, the echoes of his dream died away in a fading cacophony of terror and pain, and Obi-Wan sat up quickly.

Jedi don?t dream.

This was not a dream.

A kaleidoscope of jumbled images flashed through his mind as he leapt from his bed and snatched his robe. Flames, howls and savage shrieks. And fear, so much fear. Agony. Images risen straight from the bowels of hell.

But this was not a re-creation of his memories of Mustafar. Too often had those visions haunted his sleeping hours, savagely prodding him with poisoned spikes of his failures and his regrets. This was something different and something far more horrible.

?Go, Obi-Wan! Quickly!?

Even uncertain whether or not the words were part of his dream, the very urgency in his old master Qui-Gon?s whisper spurred him into action, and Obi-Wan strapped on his lightsaber, even as he flung open the door to his house and headed into the desert.

Almost by instinct, he cast about through the Force to check for the presence of the Tusken Raiders. The ubiquitous marauders were savage and sly, but their Force-signatures were as distinctive and graceless as a plodding bantha?s, and after a near fatal attack that had occurred the first week he was on Tatooine, Obi-Wan never again made the mistake of leaving home without sensing for their presence.

He felt nothing in his near vicinity, but the niggling sensation of the Sandpeoples? presence would not leave him. Were they at the Lars? homestead? The thought quickened his pace and he called on the Force to lend him strength as he rushed down into the valley where the homestead lay.

He cleared a low-lying ridge at a sprint and then felt his heart stop in his chest as he saw it. In the clear night, the fire was a terrifying beacon, its flames rising and spiraling and sparking above the low-lying roof of the Lars homestead.

?No!? involuntarily, the word ripped from his chest but barely carried in the still night, and Obi-Wan fought against the squeezing of his heart in his chest as he stumbled across the sand toward the besieged homestead. As he neared the burning household, he began to see the figures of Tusken raiders intermingled with that of humans as they battled each other amidst the wreckage of the burning farm.

A spurt of anger co-mingled with fear that surprised him in its very strength and suddenness went through his system. His breath caught in his throat momentarily, and he pushed away the dark emotions, trying desperately to clear his mind. The urgency he felt now seemed to outstrip any more base or petty emotions, and it made him stop in his very tracks.

Using the Force, he cast about for the presence of the Larses, but the chaos and disarray before him made it impossible for him to know if they were alive or dead. He swallowed quickly, trying to draw saliva from his dry mouth. Cupping his hands over his mouth and pursing his lips, he howled into the night.

The eerily savage shriek echoed and re-echoed within the valley and the surrounding hills and canyons, and the Tuskens startled, halting in their tracks in fear and confusion. The pause lasted less than a heartbeat before the craven marauders fled, leaping on the backs of their banthas and screaming out into the desert night. The men remained, although Obi-Wan could sense their fear as they looked about for the presence of the krayt dragon that had made the disembodied call.

The homestead continued to burn relentlessly as Obi-Wan made the last final dash that brought him to within yards of the inferno. At least of score of men and women were now scurrying about madly trying to release the valves on the homestead water tanks to fight off the fire, and Obi-Wa

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooh, nice twist Boomergirl. Loved the insight into Obi-Wan and his first encounters with the Tusken Raiders. And yay Qui-Gon for helping!!

3. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

Thank you, Leona! I'm glad you like the way this is starting off :)

Any other takers?

4. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Me! :eek: I'm very intrigued about what will happen next. :D That was very well done - Obi-Wan's panic, the attack ... reminds me of the fact that in AOTC, the farmers banded together to fight off the Tusken Raiders. [face_thinking]

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    wow, this is a very intriguing twist. I wonder if ObiWan is now going to have to raise Leia?

6. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I agree, very nice twist ;) Looking forward to more :)

7. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
  8. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

obaona: Thank you! Glad you like it! And, yes, I was thinking of those stories of the homesteaders too :)

JediLiz: Yes, Obi-Wan and Leia's future will be in the next post :)

serendipitaey: Thank you for reading! Glad you like it :)

LucidLady: THanks! Glad you like it :)

9. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

Chapter Two

Obi-Wan had never had much to do with small children. He barely remembered his own childhood as a crècheling and later as an initiate in the Agri-Corps. Only the years in which he served as Qui-Gon Jinn?s padawan seemed to stand out in his memories of his youth. The brilliant, charismatic and unconventional Jedi had often seemed larger than life, and he effortlessly dominated Obi-Wan?s training and his life as Kenobi?s mentor and the father he?d never had.

Obi-Wan remembered occasionally training with other initiates and padawans in the first years before moving on to take missions almost exclusively with Qui-Gon. He remembered how he?d always gravitated toward the older members of the Order, the established Jedi Knights and Masters, trying to listen to their stories or trying to learn what they knew. But he almost never went near the crèche where the younglings were reared, and he almost never spoke to the younglings except on rare occasions when one of them crossed his path. He knew nothing of children and had never had much interest in them.

So, if there was ever a man less well equipped to handle a young infant, that man was Obi-Wan Kenobi. When he brought young Leia Skywalker out of the Lars? sandstorm cellar he knew only a sensation of unreality that brought him back across time to the day three months before when he?d first brought little Leia to the Lars? to be raised. As he reached the top step of the ladder he looked down into her face.

This was Anakin?s daughter. The knowledge both pained and comforted him as did the young infant?s Force signature, which was startlingly powerful for one so young. An unbidden memory of Obi-Wan?s first meeting with Anakin years ago came into his mind. The young slave-boy had this same powerful, rich Force-signature. It had almost been like listening to a fine symphony to feel that Force-signature, and Obi-Wan knew that the rarity and the power were what finally convinced the Jedi Council that Anakin was the Chosen One.

Anakin. I failed you. I was your master, and I taught you everything I knew. But I failed to protect you. I loved you, my brother and my padawan and my friend. But I failed to understand you. I tried to help you. But I only succeeded in destroying you.

You are no longer. There is only Darth Vader now. Even the name seems to be an insult and an abomination to the memory of the bright star that was once Anakin Skywalker.

The baby shifted again in Obi-Wan?s arms and whimpered once before settling into sleep, and Obi-Wan felt his heart strings give an unexpected tug. The child was so beautiful, so innocent with so much dazzling potential. But I cannot fail you like I failed your father. You and your brother are the last hope for the future.

The remaining neighboring moisture farmers who had answered the Lars? alarm were waiting when Obi-Wan and Leia emerged from the cellar. They wore varying looks of pity and disapproval on their homely grime and sweat streaked faces, but stood silently as Obi-Wan walked past them. From the few women, he could sense concern for the infant?s well being, but the men seemed to regard him with an almost superstitious fear and dislike.

Obi-Wan sighed. He hadn?t known what to expect when he found Leia, and his first thoughts were only of relief that she had survived. But now he realized that possession appeared to be nine-tenths of the law and the homesteaders appeared to take on faith that he would be the one to care for Leia or at least find an appropriate home for her. Obi-Wan knew that Owen had no surviving kin. He thought of asking Beru?s people, the Whitesuns, to take her in, but they knew nothing of Leia?s heritage, and he felt loathe to involve them in the intricacies and dangers of the situation. Thoughts of Padme?s family came to mind, but Obi-Wan feared it would be too easy for Vader or Palpatine to trace the infant to the Naberries. And as he stood facing the small crowd that had gathered around the storm cellar, he resigned himself to the idea that he was left

10. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I really like this! :D I wonder what is going to happen to Siri? I and I really like the twist of Leia being with Obi instead of Bail.

11. Amelia

Amelia Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    Oh! I'm so intrigued as to where you're going with this! Is is safe to assume that Luke is with the Organas? Ah! I can barely imagine politician!Luke and FarmGirl!Leia. :) Please continue, I'm really looking forward to more.

Amelia

12. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

SenatorLeia73: As for what's coming with Siri...I'm making this up as I go along. Glad you're enjoying and thanks for reading!

Amelia: Yes, Luke went with the Organas, although he won't be in the story much if at all. That's really background information. Thanks for reading.

13. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    You got me reading too!
    It's a very intriguing start! I can't wait for more!

14. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm loving this story so far. First of all, because I don't think I've ever seen an Obi-Wan and Leia story, and you're to be congratulated on the rare originality. But beyond that, I really like your writing style. It just flows so well.

15. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

NeoPaladin: Thanks for reading!

TrinityDay: Thank you for reading and I'm so flattered you like the writing :)

16. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Ben with Leia is so endearing, and written beautifully. I'm really curious where this is going, and I just can't wait for Siri to pop up ;)

17. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Whoops! I didn't catch that you'd updated. [face_blush]

He remembered how he?d always gravitated toward the older members of the Order, the established Jedi Knights and Masters, trying to listen to their stories or trying to learn what they knew.

I heavily sympathize, as that's always been something that I do - at least in the sense that I tend to get along better with people older than I am. :p As a result, and also being the youngest of my family, I know nothing about kids ... I tried helping out with the kids in my church for a few weeks, and I swear, they're like alien beings! How do you deal with them? :p

I just loved how he and Leia got close, though. There was something so sweet and adorable in how you described it, in the fact of it. [face_love] I like the ... slow pacing, the way you go over this transitional thing without rushing, going here and there in the experience he's having. It's actually soothing to read. I adore it.

The dream is very intriguing. :eek: And worrisome. [face_thinking] I couldn't help but think of the consequences of Anakin's dreams, either. [face_worried]

18. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Obi-Wan and Leia make a very strange mix, btu I can't say I'm disappointed. It's not something you usually see,w hich is nice. And it's well written, so doubly good! :)

19. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

Cool beans! More replies!

serendipitaey: Just a little while longer. Be patient ;)

obaona: I always gravitated to adults, too :) And thanks! I'm glad you like the way the relationship is developing between Leia and Obi-Wan :)

Kazzy: Welcome to the story! Thanks for reading!

More right away!

20. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

Chapter Three

Obi-Wan powered down the speeder and bent over to unbuckle Leia?s seat belt. As usual, she reached over to play with the controls of the speeder, and Obi-Wan laughed indulgently, ?What did I say about driving? Not until you?re older.?

?I?m big!? Leia insisted, still grasping the wheel of the speeder with her chubby toddler?s fingers.

?Aye, you?re a big girl?all of two,? Obi-Wan countered gently. ?But no driving until you?re a lot older.? He got out of the speeder and then reached forward to pull Leia out too. She relinquished the controls and turned to put her arms around his neck, snuggling against him with a contented sigh.

?Baba, hungwy,? she said.

?All right, I?ll fix you something to eat,? Obi-Wan answered, glancing toward the horizon where the first of Tatooine?s two suns was starting to set. He set the child down near the doorway of his house where she scampered toward the little play area he had set up for her, and then he went into the house to start making dinner.

As Obi-Wan moved about the tiny kitchen chopping and cutting food, he watched Leia through the windows. She sat in her play area with her toys about her and slowly levitated a doll that she?d been given for her second birthday just a month ago. She?d first done this a few weeks ago, and Obi-Wan found the potent display of Force abilities in one so young to be both astonishing as well as disquieting. He suppressed a shiver.

?She?s very powerful,? Qui-Gon said.

Obi-Wan turned and faced his former master?s ghostly apparition. ?Master, I wish you wouldn?t do that!?

Qui-Gon smiled mischievously. ?This would not be a surprise to one who was more attuned to the Force.?

Obi-Wan nodded his head. ?You?re right, Qui-Gon. I have no excuse other than fatigue.? He placed the cut vegetables and meat into a pot and began to cook a stew.

?Understandable. I know this life is not what you expected when you made your promise to me to train Anakin, but I actually commend you for your adaptability.?

?Well, once I did think that I would end up with a career in the Agri-corps,? Obi-Wan smiled. He looked out past where Leia was sitting toward the planting sheds in the distance. When the Lars? died their lawyer contacted Obi-Wan to tell him that they had left everything to Leia with Obi-Wan as trustee. Obi-Wan sold the Lars? moisture farm and used the proceeds to start a small agri-farm. For himself, he would have been happy to live simply doing odd-jobs to get by, but he decided early on that this hand-to-mouth existence was not the right way to raise a little girl, thus the agri-farm, which turned out to be a much more profitable venture than the doomsaying neighbors had predicted, much to their surprise and consternation.

Obi-Wan focused his attention back on Leia and sighed. ?She?s got so much of Anakin in her,? he said.

Qui-Gon nodded. ?Yes. This worries you.? It was not a question.

?I failed so terribly with Anakin?and I loved him like a son or a brother. But Leia?I?ve raised her almost from birth. Were I to fail with her?it almost makes me want to forget that I?m a Jedi, forget that my duty is to raise her as a Jedi. It makes me wish that she could be allowed to grow up like a normal girl?makes me wish that I didn?t have to condemn her to one day facing Vader or the Emperor.?

?Obi-Wan, you must guard yourself against this. This is why attachments were forbidden?why Anakin failed! He placed more importance on the ones he loved than he did on duty, his duty to the Order and to the Senate and to the Republic. And in the end he betrayed them all. You must never do this with Leia.?

?I know that. How I know that!? Obi-Wan sighed, fighting against the sense of disquiet that was brewing in his chest. The tenor of Qui-Gon?s voice, as well as the seriousness from someone so well known to be a maverick worried him on an elemental level, and he took a deep breath to steady himself. He looked down at the pot where he was stirring the dinner stew. ?You know I?ll do my duty.?

?Do I?? Qui-Gon asked. ?Then you need

21. Senator_Leia73

Senator_Leia73 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Cool! Baba awwww little Leia is so cute :D Could Siri be in Mos Eisley? ;)

22. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

Senator_Leia73: Well...you'll have to tune in to find out ;)

Ups!!

23. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    I'm really liking the way you're writing little Leia. Especially since kids can be so hard to write, in my experience.

24. BA-Kenobi

BA-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Kudos this fic is briliant. Oh by the way baba in urdu means farther. Did you do this delibrately?

25. Boomergirl

May 18, 2005

TrinityDay: Thanks! I have a five year old and a one year old, so I'm surrounded by child-speak ;)

BA-Kenobi: Welcome to the story! And I didn't know baba meant father in Urdu (learn something new every day!), but I know it means father in some other languages, so it was intentional :)

Up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.