main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shimrra/Onimi -- Speculation/Spoiler

Discussion in 'Literature' started by von_Drone, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. von_Drone

von_Drone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2003
    Hi guys!

I just finished "Destiny's Way", and the final scene left me, well, quite puzzled. Spending some time pondering over it, I came with the following hypothesis:

What do you think about the following: since the Yuuzhan Vong are not outside the Force (according to Vergere), I suspect that Shimmra and Onimi (or at least one of them) is a Force-sensitive Yuuzhan Vong capable of using mind tricks on the rest of the same species. This explains the capability of the Supreme Overlord to tamper in the minds of his subordinates.

However, the final scene is a bit of a confusion about who actually is the Force user of the two. A side stream of the hypothesis is that Onimi is the Force user (probably due to his Shamed mutations, or something like that), and Shimrra is just his puppet. OR, Onimi is the Master, Shimrra is his Apprentice. By all means, the final scene leaves some hints that Shimrra is under the influence of Onimi -- he wonders/whines "What have I done wrong to anyone", and then after Onimi starts laughing, Shimrra follows in spite of his quite desperate emotions.

What I personally consider most likely is that Onimi is the Master, Shimrra -- the Apprentice.

This will allow -- probably -- the Jedi in TUF to actually sense the two in the Force, and provide both means for a spectacular final fight, and potentially the background for Unification of all life (Yuuzhan Vong included) in the Force. Furthermore, this will fit in the general paradigm of the evolution of the Shamed Ones' Jedi Cult -- they were following a Force user anyway (Shimrra), but he was from the Dark Side (obviously, due to his actions and their results), so following the Jedi (who are from the Light Side) is perfectly fine in the end.

So, what do you guys think? Is there a method in this madness, or writing a PhD in International Relations has made me look too deep into things :)?

Best,
    Drone

2. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    I don't think you're reaching too deep, my friend... Not at all...

My personal theory is that Onimi and Shimrra are, in fact, the same being, however...

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Onimi is the brains, that much is clear.

"Shimrra", on the other hand, is clearly a sentient being with his own thoughts... however pain-scarred and limited. I don't know how significant it is that he doesn't think in obviously "Yuuzhan Vong" terms. But he's obviously needed...

So I suspect that Shimrra may be the actual Force-user, perhaps even a non-YV...

I can see where you're coming from, though, Brett, inasmuch as the 'public' persona of Shimrra seems to be largely Onimi's creation...

I can see a variety of possibilities, but there's a whole level of conspiracy that we've only had that one glimpse into... I swing from thinking that DelRey have been delibarately blindsiding us all the way through to thinking that it's going to be resolved by an unsatisfying PDoUS...

- The Imperial Ewok

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    There is a theory that one of them is using yammosk telepathic biotechnology to fool everyone into thinking Shimrra is an extension of the gods.

5. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Wheels within wheels and all that.

6. Assassin_Caine

Assassin_Caine Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    I think that Omini is the more powerful of the two. I believe that he has a power much like Jacen's vongsense that allows him to screw with other's minds.

Shimmra is under his influence. He can't take over as the head of the government, because he doesn't have the power to affect the whole Vong society. However, he used Shimmra as a tool to rule the Vong.

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yeah, Shimrra's a big huge 3 metre guy. Who's gonna mess with him?

8. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Darth Vader, that's who!

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Damn shame big DV's well and truly dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.