Shining Light #2 Freedom From Fear

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by imzadi, Dec 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi everyone! Just thought I'd post the intro to my new story to guage reactions. (In other words I need some encouragement *g*) This is a prequal to my fic "The Cave." Which can be found here:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1269895

Title: Shining Light #2: Freedom From Fear
    Author: Imzadi
    Email: s361318@student.uq.edu.au
    Rating: PG

Summary: Five year old Obi-Wan ventures to the Senate with his Master, and things definitely do not go to plan.

Spoilers: none
    Warnings: There is a small mention of minimal violence
    Disclaimer: Mr George Lucas owns all Star Wars characters and information. No copyright infringement is intended, this is for fun and I make no money from it.
    Archive: Early Years, anyone else please ask.
    Authors notes: This is the second in the Shining Light series, set about one year prior to ?The Cave.? However they both can be taken as individual stories. A big thank you to Jane Jinn, Kalypso, and Yoda Fan Dave for beta-ing! You're a great help!

I'll start posting in a few hours!
  2. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope you enjoy!

?Obi-Wan, come back to your seat please. There is something I want to show you,? Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn called to his apprentice who was busy looking out one of the viewports on the opposite side of the transport. Immediately the young boy hurried back to his seat next to his Master. Qui-Gon regarded him for a moment and smiled at his eagerness. Qui-Gon wondered how long that would last.

Obi-Wan had only had his fifth birthday a few months ago, and was soon expected to start classes. Even though the small boy had only been Qui-Gon?s apprentice for a few months, he was already beginning to grow rather attached to him. Although he would not admit it, even to himself.
    ?See over there Padawan?? Jinn said, pointing out the window at the Senate Building. ?That?s where we?re going,? he explained. Obi-Wan made no response, but simply pressed his nose against the window and stared out with wide green eyes.

The transport began its descent from the traffic filled skies of Coruscant. ?Padawan, the Senate is very busy, so I want you to hold my hand at all times. If by some chance we get separated I want you to stay where you are and I?ll come get you straight away,? Qui-Gon instructed his Padawan, who was now listening to him intently.
    ?Okay?? Jinn continued.
    ?Yes Master,? Obi-Wan responded. Truthfully Obi-Wan was growing worried by his Master?s words of caution. Obi-Wan had only been out of the Jedi Temple on a few previous occasions. ?But we are only visiting Master?s friend, it?s not like I have to do anything,? Obi-Wan thought, trying to convince himself.
    ?All passengers for the Senate Building please disembark here,? a recorded voice informed them via the ship?s intercom.
    ?Ready to go?? Qui-Gon asked, holding out his hand which Obi-Wan immediately accepted. Together they exited the ship and approached the entrance.
  3. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    A little bit more *g*

The area was bustling with activity. People from every corner of the galaxy were present. As the pair entered and made their way to the Senate offices, they were met by several curious glances. It was not uncommon to see Jedi within these halls, however not everyone had met a Jedi, let alone a Master holding the hand of a very small Padawan.

This was something that concerned Qui-Gon greatly and he hoped Obi-Wan would understand. It was very unusual to be apprenticed at such a young age, and people they encountered might find it odd. Obi-Wan was quite gifted in the force, never the less he was still only a child. One who had lived within the relative safety of the Jedi Temple all his life and had not yet grown accustomed to large crowds that were forever present across most areas of Coruscant. A fact that was reinforced when Qui-Gon felt Obi-Wan tighten his already tense grip on his hand. Qui-Gon squeezed back reassuringly.
    ?We?re almost there,? Jinn said as he looked down to his Padawan. Obi-Wan was looking every which way with his characteristic curiosity. However his grip remained firm. They continued their journey through the halls, the booming voices from within the Senate arena constantly in the background. Obi-Wan thought he had never seen so many people in his life.
    ?Here we are,? his Master said as they arrived at his friend?s office. Nodding to his assistant, they waited as he contacted the Senator to inform him of his arrival. Obi-Wan once again reaffirmed his grip on his Master?s hand. The assistant was looking at him strangely. The small boy began to feel increasingly uncomfortable under the man?s gaze. His Master had explained to him that people were curious about the Jedi. That however did not make Obi-Wan any more comfortable. For the most part Qui-Gon ignored the odd looks, so Obi-Wan decided to do the same.
    ?You may go in now,? the man informed them curtly. With a nod Qui-Gon acknowledged him before heading for the door, still leading Obi-Wan by the hand.
    After knocking, they slowly entered.
  4. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent start imzadi! I don't want to be greedy, but I want more soon!
  5. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    I went off for a few minutes and you posted again... Now, could you keep doing that?

Little Obi, big crowd, lots of possibilties.
  6. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    More little Obi with Qui-Gon....Yippee!!!

Love how Obi holds tight to his Master's hand...that's so cute. Now we know he's going to do everything that Qui-Gon tells him right??? LOL

Post often, post soon.

(You know I love saying that. It means the beginning of another great story!)
  7. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    More Imzadi! Don't stop now!
  8. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh yay! I didn't think anybody read it cause I didn't get a notification! Thanks guys, here's an extra long one!

?Qui-Gon!? Come on in!? A stout man called excitedly as he rose from his desk to meet them. He extended his hand which Qui-Gon accepted, in the process momentarily releasing Obi-Wan?s small hand. When his Master?s hand returned to his side, Obi-Wan immediately reached up and took it once again in his own.
    ?Hello Deran, it?s good to finally see you again,? Qui-Gon smiled.
    ?It has been too long,? the Senator replied. Looking down to the small form at his friend?s side the Senator flashed Obi-Wan a friendly smile.
    ?And who might you be, little one?? He asked, knowing the child would most likely not answer.
    ?This is my Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Padawan this is Senator Pomade,? Qui-Gon introduced them. Jinn was pleased to see Obi-Wan bowed in traditional Jedi fashion, although it looked a little odd as he continued to hold his Master?s hand.
    ?It?s a pleasure to meet you young man. As long as we are doing introductions, this is my daughter Ivy,? he said gesturing to a small girl half hiding behind her father?s desk. With a reassuring smile, he waved her over. She joined them, albeit shyly.
    ?Ivy, this is Master Qui-Gon and his apprentice Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan this is my daughter Ivy,? he introduced them.
    ?Hello,? Jinn said in a friendly tone.
    ?Ivy, Obi-Wan why don?t you kids go play,? the Senator suggested. Reluctantly letting go of his Master?s hand, Obi-Wan joined Ivy sitting at her father?s desk where she had already spread out several sheets of flimsiplast.
    ?I?ve got some pencils too,? she said shyly, offering a packet to Obi-Wan, while retaining one for herself. The pair began to draw, occasionally chatting.

Across the room, the to elder men sat reminiscing. Occasionally Qui-Gon would glance over at Obi-Wan, and the Senator would do the same to Ivy. They were in deep discussion when quiet giggling interrupted them. They both looked over at the children and smiled.
    ?I didn?t know you had taken a Padawan,? the Senator commented.
    ?I only did a few months ago,? he replied still looking at Obi-Wan. He had almost entirely gotten over his nervousness.
    ?So how are things going? He?s rather young isn?t he?? he continued.
    ?Yes, it?s uncommon for an initiate to be apprenticed so early. He?s very talented,? Jinn explained.
    ?So? how are things between you?? Deran asked with a smile.
    ?Quite well. I haven?t really had any problems,? Qui-Gon answered. ?Yet,? he added for good measure.
    ?So how are things with you?? Jinn asked.
    ?Oh fine, Yefan just started high school. Little Ivy will start school next year. I think we?ll be sending her to Coruscant Grammar. Rema has just started a new job at in the research department. And well, I?m still doing the same, obviously,? Deran updated Qui-Gon on the activities of his family. Their conversation continued for a few minutes when Qui-Gon suddenly stopped talking. Across the room Obi-Wan jumped, dropping his pencil.
    ?Qui-Gon my friend. Is everything alright?? Pomade asked concerned by his odd behaviour.
    ?There?s a disturbance,? he explained. Deran had known him long enough to understand what he meant. ?Padawan?? he called.
    ?Yes Master,? Obi-Wan replied immediately.
    ?Did you feel that?? Jinn asked gently, looking at his apprentice he could tell that he had. Obi-Wan was still too young to fully understand. Obi-Wan came and stood at his Master?s side.
    ?Yes Master,? Obi-Wan admitted hesitantly. His green eyes were clouded with confusion. Qui-Gon scooped Obi-Wan up onto his lap and held him reassuringly.
    ?It?s nothing for you to worry about,? Qui-Gon explained not wanted his apprentice to worry. He himself was worried. Several people had just died close by. The disturbance had left the young boy shaken. They sat together for a few minutes while Obi-Wan calmed down.
  9. qoataza Jedi Knight

star 3
  10. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Wooohoooo! I'm so glad to see that you started another Qui and lil' Obi story, imzadi! It's off to a very awesome start! You've made my day!! :)
    And now what just happened? Several people just died close by?! Eeep!
    Post again soooon, please!! :)
  11. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the replies! Aww, you guys! Here's some more:

?Excuse me Master Jedi,? his aide interrupted from the doorway. ?There is a call for you sir. A Master Windu I believe. He said it was urgent,? he explained, glancing oddly at Obi-Wan who was still huddled on his Master?s lap.
    ?Thank you,? he responded before glancing at his friend who nodded and smiled. ?Obi-Wan why don?t you stay here and play for a little while. I?ll just be a few minutes,? he explained. He could tell Obi-Wan was still a little upset. He also knew that if he heard the communication from the Temple, it could do more harm.
    ?Yes Master,? the small boy responded, slowly getting down off his Master?s lap, and rejoining Ivy at her father?s desk. After Qui-Gon left, Pomade decided to let the children play in peace and returned to a report he had been writing. Across the room Ivy looked at Obi-Wan in concern.
    ?Are you okay now?? She asked in a small voice.
    ?Yeah,? Obi-Wan responded, not really wanting to talk about it.
    ?Why do you call him Master?? Ivy asked innocently.
    ?Hmm, I think cause it?s his um, title. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn,? Obi-Wan responded emphasising his words, somewhat grateful for the change of topic.
    ?Oh, is he your dad?? her questioning continued.
    ?No, but I think it?s sorta the same. I live with him, he looks after me, and teaches me stuff,? he answered slowly, unsure of how to answer.
    ?I guess it?s sorta the same then,? she agreed returning to her drawing.
    ?Excuse me Senator,? the aide?s voice filled the room once again, this time via the intercom. ?They?ve recalled a full Senate. Apparently there?s some kind of emergency,? he continued urgently. Walking over to his desk, Deran pressed a button of the intercom.
    ?I?ll be right out,? he replied.
    ?I want you both to stay here until Master Qui-Gon or I come back, okay?? he said, looking each of them in the eye. When they nodded, Pomade grabbed his coat and swiftly left. The children looked after him for a moment, before turning to each other both wearing concerned expressions.
    ?Must be something really bad. Daddy wasn?t supposed to have to meet today,? Ivy said, her brown eyes wide with worry. Not knowing what to say, Obi-Wan simply nodded in understanding. The pair soon returned to their drawing, but they were both still concerned by recent events, especially Obi-Wan. He was beginning to have a bad feeling about their visit to the Senate.

Comments? :)
  12. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    Even more posts, yippie.

That was creepy how Obi felt the deaths, creepy but cool.
  13. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh wow, another post! I'm glad I checked this again! Thank you thank you, imzadi! :)
    So Obi and Ivy are alone now, while something bad is going on?! Eep! There's more trouble a comin' I'm sure! Hee hee, I love that lil' Obi is already having "a bad feeling about this," and he's only five! Getting an early start, aren't we Obi? ;)
    Can't wait for more! This story is awesome! :) :)
  14. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Wow, thanks for the multiple posts imzadi.

I liked the way Obi-Wan relaxed after a bit with the Senatorand his daughter, definitely realistic. Now I fear that trouble may be on the way with the kids by themselves.
  15. Abbi_Cee Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, I checked in expecting to see just one or maybe two posts and get a whole slew of them! Great! :) I have a real weakness for young Obi stories and this looks to be as good as your first. I shouldn't be greedy and ask for more, but... uh... ;-)
  16. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks!!! Here's a little bit more. Ooh and just a quick warning for a single bad word. (It's not really bad though).

After walking the short distance to the communications terminal Pomade?s aide had directed him to, Jinn activated the terminal and opened a link to Master Windu at the Jedi Temple.
    ?Qui-Gon, there has been an accident with on of the Senate transports,? the Master began without preamble.
    ?I?ve sensed the disturbance, how many were killed?? He asked neutrally.
    ?They don?t know yet, although they suspect sabotage,? the Master continued.

?Hmm, we need more flimsy,? Ivy said, realising their pile had run out. ?Daddy keeps some in that cabinet over there,? she said pointing to a tall filing cabinet, which was far too tall for either of them to reach it on their own. Ivy was already pulling her chair over in front of it.
    ?I can get it,? Obi-Wan offered.
    ?Nah, it?s okay? Ivy she said, before climbing up onto the chair. As she climbed up the chair wobbled and almost toppled over. Ivy let out a small cry of surprise, but Obi-Wan gripped the back firmly to steady it.
    ?Thanks,? she said as she began rifling through the folders looking for the one her father kept spare flimsiplast in. All of a sudden the door flew open, at the door stood the Senator?s aide, Ritan.
    Seeing what they were doing he raced in, his temper flaring.
    ?What the hell do you think you?re doing?? he shouted angrily, grabbing the files out of her trembling hands.

TBC
  17. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    ut-oh somebody's in trouble.

So what's in those files, that meannie isn't going to kick the kiddies out of the office now are they?
  18. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's more, this should answer a few questions Jodiwent. *g*

A short distance away while communicating with Mace Windu, Qui-Gon sensed a spike of concern, confusion, and fear from his apprentice. ?No doubt he?s heard,? Jinn thought to himself. He tried to speed along his conversation with his friend so he could return to his Padawan as soon as possible.

?I?m sorry. I didn?t mean to,? Ivy said close to tears.
    ?You shouldn?t be sticking your nose in where it doesn?t belong, brat!? the man said gripping her arm and shaking her violently.
    ?Don?t do that!? Obi-Wan said bravely. ?She didn?t mean to,? Obi-Wan explained again.
    ?Didn?t mean to?? Ritan mocked angrily, still holding onto Ivy?s arm. ?Why don?t you shut your trap little Jedi!? he taunted. Letting go of Ivy he turned his attention to Obi-Wan.
    ?Not so tough without your Master, are we little Jedi? Tell me where it is!? Ritan demanded, grabbing Obi-Wan as he had Ivy moments earlier.
    ?We didn?t touch anything!? Obi-Wan cried as the man shook him. His arms felt like they were being crushed.
    ?You didn?t touch anything,? the man repeated much to the children?s astonishment. Obi-Wan realised what he had done. He had never used the mind trick before and now it had worked without him even trying. Regaining control of his mind the man once again squeezed Obi-Wan?s small arms.
    ?If you say anything, I swear?? he threatened leaving the rest up to the children?s imaginations. Letting go after a final shove, the man grabbed several files and swiftly went to the door. With a final menacing glance, Ritan left, leaving the two stunned children in silence.

Please reply! *g*
  19. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
  20. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    I take it you don't like Ritan, Jodiwent? lol.
  21. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay, two more posts!
    Grrrrr! Too bad Qui didn't walk in while Ritan was shaking Obi, then he could have kicked the man's BUTT! Nobody does that to sweet little Obi and gets away with it!! I'll come after him myself! GGRRRRR!!!
    *Ahem* Anyway, great posts imzadi! Ritan now has me highly suspicious, just what is he up to, anyway? I'm eagerly awaiting more, I love this story! :)
  22. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Bastet! I'll post more in a few hours *g*.
  23. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    I caved :( *g* Here's some more. Remember, feedback is appreciated!

?I have to tell my Master,? Obi-Wan declared after a few minutes of just staring at each other. Even though he was frightened he knew it was the best thing for him to do. He knew his Master would protect him. However he also thought his Master would be mad that not only had he obviously done something wrong to upset the man, he had used the mind trick without his Master?s permission. And now, he was afraid.
    ?No you can?t,? Ivy implored. ?My daddy would be so mad, and Ritan will come back and hurt us!? she cried. Obi-Wan tried to convince her that it was the best idea but was unsuccessful. In the end her fear if nothing else convinced him to stay quiet.

?But wait. I can?t lie to my Master. He?ll know!? he argued.
    ?You don?t have to lie if he asks you, just don?t tell him!? she countered, wringing her little hands with worry. She was so afraid. Obi-Wan knew what he had to do.
    ?Okay, I won?t say anything unless he asks me,? he reluctantly agreed. The matter decided, the two scared children set about tidying the room, which had been thrown into disarray during Ritan?s tirade.

Just as they had finished and sat back down at the desk, both Pomade and Master Qui-Gon came rushing inside. Their sudden appearance startled the already nervous children.
    ?Ivy, quickly get your things,? her father instructed her, assisting her. Obi-Wan looked up at his Master with worried eyes. Did they know? His thoughts were cut short when his Master spoke to him.
    ?Padawan we have to leave,? was all he said as he gripped Obi-Wan?s hand once again, albeit much more firmly than before. Waiting for Deran, who was also now holding his daughter?s hand, all four left the office together.

The halls outside were in chaos. The entire Senate was being evacuated due to the concern over further sabotage. Obi-Wan had thought the area was busy before, now people were running in every direction. Some were carrying folders, while others were empty handed. As the crowds increased, Qui-Gon lifted Obi-Wan and began to carry him, his head nestled against the elder Jedi?s neck, while his little hands grasped firmly onto his tunic. Pomade followed Jinn?s example, and they both made their way through the swarms of people.

The trip to the transport pad took muck less time than before as the group rushed their way there. As they reached the bay, a transport was already waiting for them. When the crowds thinned Qui-Gon set Obi-Wan down on the ground and crouched before him.
    ?Padawan I want you to go and wait on the transport,? he said sternly.
    ?But?? Obi-Wan began but was cut off by his Master.
    ?I have to make sure everyone leaves safely. Now go with Ivy and her dad. I?ll be there in a minute, there?s no need to worry,? Qui-Gon continued leaving no room for argument. What he said was true. He just wanted to make sure everyone was alright. With a final look, Jinn quickly strode back into the building for a final check. Deran, reached down with his free hand and grasped Obi-Wan?s small hand in his own. Reluctantly the young boy allowed himself to be led back into the transport. As soon as they were seated, Obi-Wan looked out the window, searching for his Master.
  24. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    This is not good. The sittuation that is. The story is great.
  25. Yodafan Jedi Padawan

Wow! I really like this story! I can't wait to see what happens next!!! What will Qui do when he finds out what really happened to Obi?? And what's going to happen to the mean guy??? I hope he gets in big big trouble!! Hmm... the desire for revenge isn't very Jedi-ish of me, is it? Oh well.

This is a great story, Imzadi. You're a terrific writer, even if you did get that name of yours from Star Trek. *shudder* Keep up the good work!

Dave
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.