main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Ship of Fools Dance

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by DrHaggis, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Come on out to the Ship of Fools dance, a Calgary Science Fiction and Fantasy Society Con-version fundraiser.

Date: Saturday, April 1, 2006
    Time: 7:00pm till 2:00am
    Location: Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Centre 1320 - 5 Avenue NW
    Cost: $10 ($5 for members of the Calgary Science Fiction and Fantasy Society)

Prizes for those in costume!

Refreshment Tickets (Food and Drink) $3 Each, 2 for $5 or 10 for $20

www.con-version.org

2. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    DrHaggis and I will be there!

This will be a great way to kick-off the convention. I think it is important for fan groups (like the Fan Force) to show our support of the CSFFSociety by attending events like this en-masse. They're helping us bring Mr. Bullock in this summer, and it is only benefitial for us to show our gratitude.

They will require volunteers for set-up and tear-down, as well as manning ticket tables, etc... This is an excellent chance for us to contribute to the convention by not only attending the dance (which is sure to be an absolute blast, in true Con-Version style!!!) but by volunteering in any way we can.

If anyone is interested in volunteering at this event, please get in touch with me.

3. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    If this dance is going to be Con-style, does that mean that there will be nudity at some point in the evening?

4. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I think this'll be great fun! [face_dancing] I plan on attending. Hubby doesn't care much for dressing up, but hopefully that's not a big deal. I'm inviting a bunch of friends too.

I hope we can all get a table together!

5. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    I can't confirm any nudity, but if you show up at 5:00 there will be a performance by The 404s Improv Comedy Group. http://www.the404s.com/

6. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    I might check it out.

7. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    [face_batting] Sounds like fun...I will try to come as well.

8. veritate

Oct 25, 2004
    This is just a reminder that the Ship Of Fools dance is tomorrow night! (Saturday)

Again, they'll need volunteers for various jobs throughout the night:

Working the bar, set-up, tear-down, ticket takers...

Set-Up is at 4:30pm
    Tear-Down a 2:30am
    and everything else in between

If you're able to show up for Set-Up, please do so, and let them know you're there to help out. Kent and I should be there around that time.

ALSO: Important to note - they will be selling memberships (registration for the convention) at the dance, so if you want to buy your membership there, instead of dealing with Paypal and things like that, you will be able to do so.

9. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Awsome.. Thanks for the info. I should be going and I would be able to help while I am there.

10. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Can't make it but somebody take pics please I've gotta go out of town tonight and Sunday. Hope everyone has a great time.

11. veritate

Oct 25, 2004
    This was fun! I'm glad so many of you could make it out!

The hilight of the night would have to have been getting to meet the "Furries" and seeing their costumes. They'll be attending Con-Version (and hopefully the Comic & Toy Expo, too!). We look forward to getting to know them better.

HUGE, TREMENDOUS thanks to Yrol, Nicole, Jack, and Jay for helping out so much! The planning committee sincerely appreciated your help, and they asked that I pass that along.

12. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    :) I am glad I went and was able to help. I had fun as well it was great to see some neat costumes ...including the furries.

13. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    "You've just entered a new larger world".

Can someone tell me, "what are the furries?". My co-worker said, they were featured on an episode of CSI. Is it some kind of fur-fetish group. This sub-culture, within a subculture is crazy. This is what I get for joining a SW fan club.

Really thought, they were from "The Flaming Lips".

14. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Poor Furries... that CSI episode is all most people know about!

The way I understand the Furry part of fandom is that they are fans of animal-based stuff, especially when those animals are sorta human-like. I suppose it's true that includes some who get aroused by people in furry costumes, but it doesn't have to. Same would be true of any hobby or interest - I'm sure there are SW fans out there who are aroused by Jedi costumes, but that certainly isn't the focus of SW fandom. It's the perception that furry subculture is more adult-oriented than other SF/Fantasy fandoms and maybe it's true in reality - but I don't know firsthand.

A classic piece of 'furry' literature is Watership Down - one of my favorite books in fact. The Redwall books would be an example of very popular young adult furry literature. Fan of Bugs Bunny or the Roadrunner? Technically, that makes you a furry. :)

So many layers to being a geek:
    http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html

Jen

15. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    "Furries" are fans of anthropomorphic art, fiction and characters. They are a passionate and fun loving group. Most are also fans of a broader range of Sci Fi including Star Wars, so be prepared to see some new faces at the next meeting.

The "kinky Furry" cliché is as played out as the "no friends, living-in-moms-basement Star Wars fan."

16. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Cosmic simultaneous posting in defense of our furry friends!

17. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Of course arousal isn't the focus of fandom, but it's always nice to have a Slave Leia around.

18. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    (*edit)
    -The Fandom United Will Never Be Defeated-

19. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    O:) Well I had a great time at the ship of fools event. I feel they are nice people to work with and it was awsome that they gave us such a warm welcome. As well Kent and Raelyn please pass on to them a big thanks again for the cool prize I won from the costume contest. I also thought it was great to meet new people including the furries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.