main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Shipping Episode 7 predictions

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ridley/Boyega

cwustudent likes this.
  2. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I have a sense that the victorious Rebel Alliance will not overtax the shipping lanes. Perhaps as an overreaction to the Imperial control of trade (see Han Solo's remarks about Imperial bulk cruisers), the new government will deregulate interstellar trade far beyond even what the pre-TPM status quo was. Maybe a new Trade Federation will emerge to monopolise control over the shipping lanes without a strong government to regulate it. Alternatively, the lack of Republic-guaranteed political stability will force the galactic shipping business to be split between atomised smaller entities. If the Republic hasn't been reformed, the individual star systems may have the means and motivation to impose protectionist trade policies, chartering their own trade companies and keeping a tight grip on shipping to and from their territories. With the Empire and the TF no longer in the dominant position, a vast plethora of smugglers may rise from out of the underworld to become the new shipping magnates...

Oh, you meant 'shipping, not shipping. :p

Word of advice: even Fanfiction.net, that 'shipyard of doom, does not permit real person fics. Most of these actors have significant others. Some of them may not feel the most comfortable knowing that SW fans are already using their names for their IU 'shipping fantasies. I already find it bizarre.

I'm beginning to favour use of acronyms for each of the unknown characters:

Daisy Ridley's character = DRC
    John Boyega's character = JBC
    Domnhall Gleeson's character = DGC
    Adam Driver's character = ADC
    Oscar Isaac's character = OIC
    Max Von Sydow's character = MVSC
    Andy Serkis' character = ASC
    Lupita Nyong'o's character = LNC
    Gwendoline Christie's character = GCC

Yes, there's a few converters, compilers and failed states in there, but it might be better than using the actors' names for this sort of speculation.

rdhight and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I want Oscar Isaac's character paired with someone. I don't know….there's something about him. I think he'd make a very appealing romantic lead/interest. Maybe stick him with Lupita's character? I don't know….could be hot.

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Hetero-wise, I can see Isaac and Brienne making a good couple

5. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

In my mind the Star Wars Christmas Special will always be canon. :p

6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    So is it just people arguing about which characters should get together?
    IE:
    'shipper A: Han and Leia should be a couple
    'shipperB: NOO! Lando and Leia should be a couple
    {fight commences}

I would google this for more info but I'm slightly terrified what might come up while I'm at work.

7. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    It's more like:

'shipper A: Han and Leia should be a couple.
    'shipper B: Np, Lando and Leia should be a couple and anyone who thinks otherwise is just the worst!
    'shipper A: Oh yeah? You are a terrible human being and I hope you get in a fiery car crash and die!
    'shipper B: YOU ARE A WORSE HUMAN BEING THAN HITLER

etc, etc, etc.

There are perfectly reasonable, sane people out there who are shippers, please don't get me wrong. There are a bunch of us here who ship Han/Leia and everyone has been delightful and courteous. But some shippers are just hardcore to the extreme and when there is a triangle involved, things get messy fast and fans start attacking each other personally, not just the fictional characters.JK Rowling described it as "cyber gang warfare," though to be fair, her books had the worst ship wars imaginable.

For more info, check out this TV Tropes link and if you ever want to have some fun and feel very well-adjusted and stable, google "Harmonians."

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    don't forget

'shipper A: well, you're worst than the devil
    'shipper B: well, you're racist for shipping the white couple and not Lando and Leia

9. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, I've been spared ever being exposed to "shipper wars" although I have heard of them through other friends. If I'm not wrong, I think the Buffy/Angel vs. Buffy/Spike got pretty intense back in the day? Luckily for me, Han/Leia seems like a pretty stable fandom niche. But imagine if the Internet was around during ANH-ESB? I'm sure there would've been some Luke/Leia-Han/Leia battles back in the day if that were the case….

10. JediJJGeorge

JediJJGeorge Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014
    We alreadt have the Kanan/Hera shipping for Rebels. It would start to heat up after the movie comes out, and we find ouy who the characters are.

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    naw, i'm shipping Kanan and Zeb on the DL

12. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I remember the shipping wars for Jack, Kate, Sawyer, on "Lost"; that got really ugly. Of course I don't blame JJ; he left the show, before the Love Triangle really got going. :p

Adi_Gallia_9 and T-R- like this.
  13. JediJJGeorge

JediJJGeorge Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014
    We had Leia/Han, Leia/Luke ship wars in the leters pages of the old Marvel comics, sci fi mags,
    and wherever fans gathered together, we just didn't have anything digital

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  14. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    ALTHOUGH…..now, that I think about it, we did have some pretty zealous Han/Bria fans who would try to stir things up once in awhile. But I think they were mostly just Internet trolls (I mean, really! Only a neo-Nazi would want Han with *Bria*--oh my god, I'm totally kidding.)

15. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Funny I wondered about that today, and I was thinking about how ugly that might have gotten if the Internet had been around during that time, with people squabbling over who Leia would pick. There are of course a small minority of fans who STILL 'ship Luke and Leia as a couple, even with the characters knowing they are siblings. But we won't talk about that.

Yanksfan, how could I forget the Bria wars! What Han and Leia shipper could ever forget that. That got really ugly. But we can all take consolation in the fact that now the EU has gone bye bye, Bria NEVER EXISTED :D

J_Girl and Yanksfan like this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    can I ship Luke and "Mara"?

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  17. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I'm sure if there had been the internet back in the 70s and 80s, the Han/Leia vs. Luke/Leia ship wars would have been intense!

HAH, I'd completely forgotten about that. But yes, I remember those pro-Bria fans too. I believe there was one in particular who went by Glitterbug on these boards. Good times a decade ago on the JC! (WOW I FEEL OLD)

And there are some things I will miss from the EU, but Bria is not one of them.

You can and a lot of people do!

J_Girl, Yanksfan and T-R- like this.
  18. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Of course you can, I'm sure that pairing isn't going anywhere even if she's not in the movie. But I do feel bad for the Luke and Mara fans who so desperately want her recognised as Luke's wife in the sequels, and not knowing what's going to happen.

Adi_Gallia, yes, Glitterbug. Now she was something else entirely. In hindsight I really think she must have been a troll, just trying to stir things up. I can't believe all that was genuine.

Yanksfan, T-R- and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    that's why I put "Mara" in quotes. :p

Adi_Gallia_9 and Claire1976 like this.
  20. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Boyega/Ridley seems the most obvious

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  21. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I'm not going to be happy if the romantic sub plots exceed those of the OT.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Possibilities I see:

Boyega/Daisy

Oscar/Daisy (OT throwback to Han and Leia)

Oscar/Lupita (maybe a "smuggler-meets-bounty hunter" sort of thing)

Gleeson/Lupita

Mark/"Mara Jade"

23. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    "I'm not going to be happy if the romantic sub plots exceed those of the OT. "

The ST has a much larger cast than the OT. It isn't realistic to expect only one romantic subplot throughout. That said, I certainly think they'll be lightly focused upon, like in V and VI.

Revanfan1, Yanksfan and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  24. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

You missed Avatar: The Last Airbender. Christ, the characters' ages ranged from 12-17 but that didn't stop people (and the creators got in on it too). And, just an aside, but part of me still dies every time I see Cumberbatch referred to as Khan. I don't have anything against the guy but Christ is it jarring to see this pasty British guy referred to as Khan Noonien Singh.

I still don't understand the obsessive need to have a romance subplot, though. With the prequel trilogy, yeah, it was kind of necessary to the plot. But most films? Nope. It's utterly nonsensical -- imagine if every film, for some reason, focused on an aunt's relationship to her nephew, or godparents.

My rule of thumb is this: if you can cut out a romantic subplot and nothing about the story would change then you have no reason to include it and it's a waste of time. They also tend to be horrifically written.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Boyega/Lupita

Driver/female baddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.