main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ships / Vehicles/ Tech of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You should observe cosplay sometime. They even know how to make a Spiderman costume difficult.

TheBBP and EHT like this.
  2. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    So we know we're going to see X-Wings, TIE fighters, and the Millenium Falcon, and there are some new ship designs, but do we know if there is a space battle at all in this movie?

3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    That would just lead to silly arguments about how big it is. "It's got 8,000 guys!" "No, it's 12,800!" "It's 19,000!" ;)

Luke'sSeveredHand, EHT and Sarge like this.
  4. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I read sometime ago from someone 'in the know' that said that things would be 'scaled back' (whatever that means). Which may or may not be a good thing.

5. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    It could be like ESB then, with no space battles but hopefully a battle of some kind.

6. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    from the PT loved the republic cruiser (opening scene of TPM) queens ship and , grievous fighter.
    i'm gonna get slammed for this but i thought the prequel star destroyers stank, looked like star destroyers with giant guns on top.

Sarge likes this.
  7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  8. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    Hmm. Hard to visualize. Awhile back some of the other rebel ships were sketched- like the 'j-wing', 'c-wing', 'e-wing' and those designs stunk to high heaven. Too angular, awkward, boxy, and utilitarian. They need to think outside of the box and not feel beholden to McQuarrie's out of date designs. Things need to be shaken up a bit. More svelt and sleek designs would do. They still can keep it 'Star Wars' without the need for a flying refrigerator with an angular cockpit and two flimsy triangle-shaped 'wings' pointed in different directions.

dekaneas and starocean90 like this.
  9. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    what sometimes ends up in the sketchbooks as pre-designs i often wish we would see on screen

10. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003

I dont consider his stuff out of date at all. his stuff still looks better than anything ive seen recently. i consider it sci fi design and very modern. i think star destroyers and tie fighters are sexy little things.

When you say svelte and sleek its almost as if you are referring to stuff like naboo starfignters? Could you clarify/expand on that expression?

I rather like the tri fighter idea, as a child i melted 2 more wings onto the tie ball and called it an O fighter despite it was more square. it was awesome if i say so myself.

StrikerKOJ and starocean90 like this.
  11. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    How about a cruise liner in space getting hijacked? Just a thought.

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

Great idea. Tell us more....

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  13. DELTA62

DELTA62 Jedi Padawan

Apr 25, 2011
    Don't know if you call this a spoiler but maybe a guess? I have noticed something when I was watching star wars rebels episode gathering forces when the imperial Sentinel-class landing craft landed on the clone base and opened up to release the inquisitor and his troops. We get a gimps of the inside that has a resemblance to the shots of the imperial stormtrooper lander in the force awakens trailer. Could they be inside a sentinel-class landing craft?

Here are links to the images for the comparison. what do you think? Just guessing. :D

The trailer shot by shot: http://geekdad.com/2014/11/shot-by-shot-star-wars-trailer/

Gathering forces: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/11/star-wars-rebels-recap-gathering-forces/

14. DELTA62

DELTA62 Jedi Padawan

Apr 25, 2011
    just realized i posted it in the wrong thread, feel free to move it. sorry, my bad. :confused:

15. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Should go in this thread.

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread redirect and merge

18. Mike Morgan

Mike Morgan Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2015
    I loved the customs corvette on pg 1 of this thread. That looked cool. I actually liked the Republic Attack Cruisers, and I wanted to include them in this Article, but my editor said "No!" Ah well.

http://whatculture.com/film/10-awesome-spaceships-star-wars.php

The article had more details about TIEs and the Falcon originally too, but at least I got something about ships up. I'd like to do a follow up about the best fan ship designs, but I'm not sure about copyright: I guess I'd need the actual fans to say it was OK. Some of these designs in this thread need a bigger audience.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'll have to see those tri-wings in action. My geometry-lacking brain is failing to grasp the concept even with fan made concept art.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The Fox body is okay with me, i'm with you on the Mustang II.

21. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    The tie fighter has evolved.

TheBBP likes this.
  22. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    'Out of date' is probably the wrong words. Maybe 'old school' is better suited for what I meant. I guess what I'm looking for are for the new starships to be stunning in the way the ships of OT initially were. Nobody back in the day were accustomed to seeing something like a Star Destroyer or the Falcon or X-Wings. I'd like the new ships to still be 'Star Wars-y', but have them still pushing the envelope for new and stunning designs. I have nothing against McQuarrie's designs, I'd just like the new group of people designing the next generation of spacecraft to 'think outside the box'. As for sleek and svelt, I suppose the Naboo starfighters would fit the description. Or something along those lines. Frankly, I wouldn't mind a mix of 'old school' and new designs. Just a real good variety of stuff. We'll see what J.J. has in store for us...:cool:

23. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Big wedge shaped ships
    big cylinder shaped ships
    smaller blocky shaped ships

24. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    What distinguished the Rebel fleet from the Imperial one was its variety. I suspect we'll see that continue here. Hopefully we'll be seeing better versions of the Mon Cal cruisers along with a lot of new and old ships mixed together. There's no particular reason they have to get rid of all the old ones. After all, the Blockade Runner showed up in both the PT and the OT. But it shouldn't be focusing on these old ships (apart from the Falcon of course). One thing I would like to see is a new Rebel-exclusive capital ship. If they're all using Mon Cal cruisers for their big ones then it'd seem a bit of a waste. One thing I really hope is that we see more than just X-Wings in this film. Even ANH showed the Rebels having more starfighter designs than that!

In terms of ships from the EU I'd like to see them import (not impossible: look at the Outrider and the Juggernaught) it'd be nice to see dreadnaughts on screen. I know they were supposed to be from the Old Republic, but they were a cool design. Interdictor Cruisers would be great, not so much because they're so cool looking but because of the awesome plot opportunities that they create. One did show up in concept art, so there's a chance of this happening. I absolutely loath the comics, but the Eclipse Star Destroyer was pretty cool. The Lancer Frigate and the Carrack Cruiser were also cool designs. But in general I don't think the old EU had very good capital ships. They mostly reused old ones from the films since they were easier to visualize. The new ones that appeared were either a little lame (assault frigates) or just mild variations on the existing themes (Victory Star Destroyers). What they did have, and where I'd like to see the ST draw from, is some pretty cool fighter/transport designs. The Outrider has shown up before but it could use more screentime/focus, the E-Wing looked pretty cool, the Z-95 was great, the Skipray Blastboat, the Wild Karrde, the Marauder Corvette, the Moldy Crow, etc. But the one I reeeeeeeally want to see, above all others, is the Lady Luck. You know why? Because that means we're getting Lando. And Lando trumps alll starships in my book. :D

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]X-wing sketches, Beautiful! Definitely Yavin! Almost looks 3D.. Almost,,.

DaddlerTheDalek and Grilled Hutt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.