main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ships / Vehicles/ Tech of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i love that weird new shuttle. it's great.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I think we seen enough spaceships in the previous Star Wars movies.

The franchise is getting over saturated with this fantasy imagery and Lucasfilm should be working to make it more grounded and realistic....

.... wait...

[​IMG]

3. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    A low-angle shot of the X-Wing...from the same side of the glass case

[​IMG]

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  5. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Sure wish somebody out there could give us a lighter-in-contrast image of Episode VII's new Star Destroyer design. Is the front of this Star Destroyer akin to that of the old EU's Gladiator Class Star Destroyer? Also is there only one soccer ball-shaped shield generator on top of the conning tower?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  6. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    I never liked the Mon Cal 'flying steel pickle' starships from ROTJ. I prefer the sharp angularity of the Star Destroyer. It is my sincere hope that the Rebel Alliance / New Galactic Republic / Resistance have their own sharply angular Star Destroyers by the time of Episode VII. Or at the very least have liberated a great many Star Destroyers from the fractured Galactic Empire. It would even be nice if the Endurance Class Fleet Carriers and Nebula Class Star Destroyers of the old EU could be cherry picked and brought into the new EU. Here's hoping (raising my glass in a toast).

Shamear and Obill-Wan Cuppobi like this.
  7. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    My first impression is that it's a mix between an Acclamator- and Imperial-class. I also wonder (and hope) if any of the other classic fighters might be in use. Would be nice to see a modified a-wing for instance ;)

Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    Here's the thing about A-wings and B-wings...they are specialized starfighters. Whereas the X-wing is a 'jack-of-all-trades' design by comparison. The refined nature of the T-70 hints at a higher level of standardization in the protagonist military. Yet the need for specialized starfighter designs that put emphasis on a particular trait would still be very much in need. So I'd say A-wings and B-wings (or some other newer designs) exist in the backdrop of the conflict. Give it time...the new films-to-come and the new EU will reveal more I'm sure.

Sarge, Alien Vanguard and Dak Oolron like this.
  9. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    We could very well see new designs in TFA. MSW has described many new ship designs. We've only seen the X-Wings so far, but I think this is deliberate on JJ and Disney's part. They want to give the trailer audience that emotional connection to the OT that only the Falcon, X-Wings, TIE's and SD's can give ( at least to the more casual fan. JC members would most likely get nostalgic over a Twin Pod Cloud Car....I know I would! ). Now that they've successfully achieved their purpose, and given us all that cosy OT feeling, I wonder if they'll begin to introduce newer elements into the marketing in trailer 3? New ships could be part of this.

Shamear, Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    I would not be surprised if the T-70 X-wing is an older design by the time of Episode VII. It might really be the old work horse that the Y-wings were in the Episode IV era. Besides I seem to recall leaks of a J-wing starfighter in Episode VII. If true...the J-wing could be the more cutting edge design. Kind of like the T-65 was back during A New Hope. Have there been any further news regarding the J-wing? Was the leak ever confirmed or denied officially?

11. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't think anything was ever confirmed, but I'm guessing that new ships are likely to appear in the space battle in act 3. As they'd most likely be models (as they would presumably play a secondary role in the battle, much like the A-Wings and B-Wings in ROTJ ), they'd be far less likely to be leaked in set photos, such as we saw with the full size X-Wings on the Greenham Common set.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    I think the leak about the J-wing starfighter described it as a blend of the old Torrent Class Clone starfighter of the Clone War era and the B-wing starfighter. Basically a smaller and sportier B-wing without the gyroscopic element. Or was this just a fan created idea? Anybody? (crickets chirping)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
  14. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I agree. Very intriguing, this new Star Destroyer is!

EDIT: Oops, looks like I already mentioned my fondness for Interdictor Cruisers in a previous post. :p

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  15. Mungo Baobab

Dec 2, 2014
    Interdictors would be very cool, this is true.

Alien Vanguard and Dak Oolron like this.
  16. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    ..and Gunboats.. *cough*

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's just an Imperial class with an extra few decks of superstructure and a ram at the bow isn't it? Where did you get the Acclamator part of the mix from?

18. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    You're right that it mostly looks like the Imperial class but the somewhat flattened front made me think of an Acclamator for some reason. It's probably just the angle of the shot that's toying with me.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  19. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    I've studied the image long and I agree the bottom and back (that we can sort of see) are like a larger version of the old Acclamators bottom and back. Perhaps this is a Super-Acclamator (LOL).

20. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    Hopefully we will see more of a variety of ships, including completely new designs; I don't mind seeing an occasional x-wing or tie fighters as used relics, after all 30 years or more have passed between ROTJ and TFA. I don't see too many cars on the street from 1985 or earlier. I do have a soft spot for the Millenium Falcon though, to me it is like an old pick up truck from back in the 70's or 80's that's been maintained and upgraded to keep up with the times, and still runs well despite having been driven almost 500,000 miles.

The prequels did a great job of establishing their own iconic and unique ship designs; the sequel trilogy should do the same.

Shamear, dekaneas, Iron_lord and 3 others like this.
  21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that's what i'm saying. Hey i like me some 80s cars....but i also don't want to go buy a new one that's unchanged.

22. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    Well put.

23. Obill-Wan Cuppobi

Obill-Wan Cuppobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2014
    Look at it this way, many countries still use MiG-21's, a plane from the sixties. Some places still use the MiG-15, from way back in the Korean War. I'm not against seeing older craft, especially if the Resistance is just that, a resistance and not a highly centralized government entity. That said, I love the new X-Wing design, but wouldn't be against seeing B-wings/A-wings/etc.

Sarge, dekaneas and Iron_lord like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Florian B @DarthSpiriah 7h7 hours ago
    "Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Stickerscapes" will be released on Force Friday and introduce TFA vehicles.

TK327 likes this.
  25. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

The USAF still uses the B-52 Stratofortress...which has been flying since 1955.

And I at least want to see an A-Wing featured in TFA. Having a B-Wing shown as well would be a bonus!

dekaneas, Sarge and Obill-Wan Cuppobi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.