main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ships / Vehicles/ Tech of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The toys for Kylo's shuttle are baffling. Sometimes they are black and sometimes they are white. Does it perhaps have a cloaking device that will give the ship a white sheen in the film? Because we've seen it in two trailers, and in both cases, the ship is black.

TK327 likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

the 4 engined ship we've seen in concept art and now being blown up in a tv spot is called "the quad jumper" and is also featured here in disney infinity as a vehicle.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if we'll see Y-Wings.

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  5. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    They must have updated versions of at least one more classic craft. I admit to being disappointed if they don't.

6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    They'll have the updated B-wing that we've seen in Lego form, most likely...

7. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    I was slightly disappointed at the limited number of spacecraft varieties in TFA. The familiar designs of the T-70 X-wings and TIE fighters were great to see, but I was hoping other ships like the successors to the OT Y-wing, B-wing or the A-wing would make an appearance. I don't think we saw any TIE variants either. I know they wanted to draw from the OT era aesthetic, but is really too much to ask for completely new designs alongside the familiar ones? Even ANH had more varieties of fighters than we saw in TFA. I was also hoping to see some Resistance capital ships.

Were you pleased with the designs of the ships? Would you have liked more designs or brand new designs?

Mav Edit: Thread merge.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    We saw some Republic capital ships for about 2 seconds before they were obliterated :)

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, the First Order's Walkers were cut out along with the Speeder bikers. The Rebel Transport is a recycled B-Wing combined with pieces of other vehicles, the Resistance is on a limited budget. Perhaps the New Republic has better stuff, but they seem anti-military but they were supposed to have a Fleet. Which apparently was destroyed along with the Capital. The First Order's new Star Destroyers are twice the size of the Imperial ones and they're breaking the treaty they had signed by creating such vehicles.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  10. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Definitely a disappointment. First that there were so few designs in general, and second that they were pretty much all rehashes.
    Falcon is the same except for new dish
    Tie fighters basically just have the colors reversed, and the special forces adds some red an attenae and a turret
    T-70 xwings are basically the same just with slightly different engine/wing configuration.
    Star destroyer was sort of different at least, but not that much.

Only real new designs were the troop transports, leia's ship, rey's speeder, and han's freighter. They were all fine I guess, but nothing that impressive.

At least with the arc-170 in the prequels for example, you could tell it's a precursor to the x-wing, but still looks pretty different as well.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    The black x-wing is cool but also meh.

The black tie and Kylo's ship are BAD ASS

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    One thing I noticed from the toys and the Incredible Cross Section book is that Kylo Ren's command shuttle has wings that retract in and out like a knife from a sheath. However in the movie the wings extensions appear to rest side by side with their bottom wing instead of retracting. When it takes off the wings appear to magnetically slide up and connect at the end of the bottom wing to form the full extension.

First I'm not sure how this is suppose to work, and what the in universe explanation is for how it works, and second since the current in universe explanation from the cross section books contradicts what's in the movie I wonder why this was changed.

13. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I think the most forgiving way of looking at this is that maybe Snoke was setting both the First Order and New Republic up for destruction. The NR loses its best five planets and the FO its superweapon, and they both seem to lose some ships as well. Then a Sith Empire fleet or something equally nuts comes in from beyond the edge of the galaxy. The FO and Republic don't get many new ships because they'll both be defunct by the time VIII arrives.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    To be honest I never thought about it during the film as I was more interested in the characters and what was happening with them on screen. They immersed me in it more than any variety of vehicles can. So its not something that I'd mark down as a negative for me.

The 2 new FO ships looked good (troop transports and Kylos shuttle). The villains and heros had the archetypal 1 ship design each in the battle, but the lack of variety didn't bother me too much. Also I personally think its not a negative either that ship designs of certain vehicles hadn't altered drastically in the years since ROTJ.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think the point is that they are a splinter group with a very limited budget. So they've got X-Wings, trooper transports, and no capital ships. 3PO even notes that the Resistance is "doomed" because the Republic Fleet was destroyed. That's where all those other ships were!

16. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    What do you guys think of Kylo Ren's ship? Do you think the design looks too stupid or is it awesome?

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
  18. CounciloftheSith

CounciloftheSith Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2016
    It's unusual, but i like it.

-Jedi Joe- and HellasLEAF-Jedi like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it;s great. it's like an evil demon bat.

Dagobahsystem, TX-20, Avnar and 7 others like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I concur. Liked it alot.

21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    The design doesn't impress me at all because it's derivative (Lambda-Class shuttle from ROJ) and apparently designed with a "bigger and badder" philosophy in mind.

And what practical purpose do these oversized "wings" serve, other than requiring a hangar large enough to accommodate this kind of shuttle and providing extra space your adversaries could shoot at? (I didn't find any explanation in the TFA cross-sections book)

I understand that Kylo somehow needs to compensate for his little ego (or else) and the upcoming visual contrast in Episode VIII should be interesting, but I still don't like this design.

Mod Edit: No spoilers for VIII in this forum

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There is no "it's okay" option here. I was neither overly impressed nor disappointed with it.

23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    neither stupid, nor awesome

Conkhead_12 and Darth Basin like this.
  24. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Is it the only one so they know it's his?

Strikes me he needs to only use it sparingly, I think it deserved to be shot down much more than Starkiller Base deserved to be blown up and SKB had the weapon of mass destruction!

If they can blow up the Enterprise in every movie, Kylo can stand to lose his personal shuttle!

AstroDroid88 likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    In-universe, my characters refer to the fins as ridiculously long.

But remember, we have had a thirty year jump. Maybe wings stretched a bit every so often, and the shuttle market likes long wings. Or this design bombed, and like the Alliance before it, the First Order is using cast-offs.

HellasLEAF-Jedi and Lt. Hija like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.