main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ships / Vehicles/ Tech of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I would say Kylo's ship was awesome because of the way it made it's grand entrance

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I tend to think it's awesomely stupid :p

3. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    I for one loved it. It looked like it suited him just fine. I hope it makes a return in VIII and XI.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    With Kylo's theme playing, which makes it even better.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I liked his ship. And the fact that he had one. Only I wish we could see it more when the wings are fully extended in V form. It seems we really only saw it as its wings were in the middle of contracting, while on landing approach. I know that's a really picky detail, but I don't really like how it looks flying with the wings fully vertical.

I actually would've liked it more if the wings descended and swept backwards-that would be interesting to see! That would be cool if we see him using that ship in VIII, and perhaps the wings could sweep that way when it goes to hyperspace...

Ricardo Funes and Sarge like this.
  6. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001

Yep, the whole package made it awesome. I loved it, design and all.

Ricardo Funes and Dagobahsystem like this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Couldn't even remember what it looked like off the top of my head. Having looked it up, it's quite bland.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I thought his landing shuttle was fine... very similar to the Lambda shuttle without the central fin or vertical stabilizer....so a bit lazy in design.. but then again.. its effective, looks good.. and I'd rather have something similar to the lambda than just ridiculous looking... it also kept in style with the times

9. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    In my opinion, borrowing designs from previous films and putting a new twist on them is not a bad thing. It helps to keep the ships looking like they belong in Star Wars.

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Personally, I found it to be rather stupid, and impractical, as well. With wings like that, it would not be able to fly in atmosphere. Wind resistance would cause constant looping of the space craft. Landing would be nearly impossible, not to mention the massive turbulence that would result.

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

Ok, so what do you say about the peripheral vision of the TIE fighters? :)

It seems clear that in the SW universe, in-atmosphere craft do not rely on aerodynamic lift. I cite every takeoff scene, whether it is the Millenium Falcon, an X-Wing, or Padme's golden astro-hotrod; the craft lifts off the ground, maneuvers into position, and only then engages the main engines. So lift and low-speed maneuvers are handled by some kind of antigravity device or EM-drive, and aerodynamics is largely irrelevant even in-atmosphere.

Kylo's command shuttle is an Upsilon-class Command Shuttle. As all SW starships, its wings are used to host sensors, radiators and weapon systems.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Upsilon-class_command_shuttle
    The distinguishing feature of the Upsilon-class shuttle was its advanced sensor suites and military-focused design, making it more than a mere pleasure craft or luxury starship. The shuttle featured extensive sensor suites in its upper wings, while the lower wings were equip with efficient shield projectors and sensor jammers, which were aided with a jammer modulation node. Its upper wing housed its primary sensor node, along with several passive-mode sensors and a long-range scan-mode sensor array. Additionally, an installed heat sink extended the expected lifespan of sensor systems. For communications, a subspace communications antenna andhyperwave comm scanner were equip within the craft's upper wings.[1]
    While in flight, the ship's wings would swoop upwards and retract to half their in-flight height, encasing the long-range sensor arrays of the upper wings within the ship's protective durasteel armor. Powerful gears and shock springs additionally protected the sensors and wing structure from damage, especially when the shuttle's wings slanted outwards when in flight to maximize sensor spread.[1]

Master of None and Sarge like this.
  12. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    I thought when he landed on jakku, it was sufficiently impactful and sinister. It had this heaviness to it, I definitely wasn't thinking "who's this clown". that may have been the music and the angle though. Especially now that I've seen it in flight, it looks like the stick figure drawing of a bird that they use in cartoons

13. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I don't generally hold SW to high standards of "real science" but I think the OT especially looked to stick to designs that looked "practical" rather than overtly fantastical as a way of bringing realism/gravitas to the universe. Kylo's ship definitely seemed to go against that for me, I thought it worked quite well in the opening seen in a more atmospheric way but less well seen in the light of day latter on.

Honestly I felt the same about quite a lot of the design on TFA, things shifted more towards "style" rather than trying to evoke realism. The ST's minimalist designs, SKB looking like a giant evil eyeball, the aliens tended more towards cartoonishness, etc.

I think it kind of plays into the differences between the way the FO and the Empire are used as well, for me the Empire in the OT very much gave the feeling of being "the establishment/the man". It has more overtly evil characters at the top but most of the system felt closer to the "banality of evil" concept, people just doing what they were told in a dispassionate fashion. The FO though dispite fins turn gives much more of an impression of top to bottom evilness including the more stylised designs that hint at it, more like the Nazi's in Indian Jones where as the OT feels like as much a reflection of new wave anti establishment feeling post Nam.

Sarge likes this.
  14. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I didn't like it, but the concept of having wings that halfway retracts is cool. The design should have been refined.

15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    loved it. it looked like a raptor. i always liked this (this style was in the OT too), and i approved of them playing it up. does somebody need to compensate for not feeling as awesome as darth vader? yes, he does.

16. squallwesker

squallwesker Jedi Padawan

Jan 12, 2017
    Since the theme only seems to play when the shuttle is landing I've come to just calling the music "Kylo's Shuttle's Theme". Maybe one day Kylo will get a theme of his own.

MeBeJedi and Darth Rozic like this.
  17. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    It's awesome. I hope we can see more of it in EVIII, perhaps inside to.

Grey Matter likes this.
  18. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    I was much more bothered by the stupidity of the front opening Stormtrooper LST's. Seriously? Hey Lucasfilm guys: no beach. You do not need to expose disembarking troops to direct front fire (even though they won it is still a dumb design).

But on topic: a dark winged predator from the sky with glowing eyes? Awesome. Intuitively obvious practicality of design for a ship traversing space? Stupid. Having said that, the glowing eyed winged predator thing definitely tips the scale for me in the context of the movie.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Sarge like this.
  19. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Kylo's shuttle is awesome IMO
    I read EVIII as evill:p

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  20. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Kylo Ren's ship is Stupid Awesome.

21. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    That was my first though when I saw that. I was like, "Have you guys never seen any D-Day footage?"

Sarge and Dagobah Dragonsnake like this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The answer is no. The First Order did not see any D-Day footage, as D-Day happened a long time in the future, in a galaxy far, far away.

23. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Seemed pretty similar to other Imperial shuttles. Nothing to write home about but it def wasn't bad by any means.

24. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Stupid, if the wings started frantically flapping like a bat's. However folding and retracting is cool.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Kylo's ship is awesome!

Ricardo Funes and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.