main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shmi knows?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mace_Winfield, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace_Winfield

Mace_Winfield Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    When Qui Gon asks who the father is Shmi looks down at the ground. When someone does this it means they are preparing to lie.

And then she says "There was no father" very quickly.

After she says she carried him, birthed him, blah blah, she then says "I can't explain it" to avoid further questions, and then changes the subject with "Can you help him?"

What a liar, she knows who the father is.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    When someone does this it means they are preparing to lie.

False assumption. It also means they are preparing to share something they are not sure will be believed. Or something they think they will be laughed at for. Or something they are not comfortable sharing. Or something they have not shared before.... and so on.

Anakin was conceived by the Force. It's been discussed to death.

3. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Palpatine used the force to manipulate midichlorians to create Anakin.

4. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    i dont think so

5. Darth_Satus

Darth_Satus Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    me neighther, even though it sounds pretty cool, its very unlikely that he made anakin. its pretty clear that it says anakin was made by the force to balance the force. -but i could be wrong.

6. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Although I tend to believe TPM's version of Anakin's creation, it does seem open to discussion now. Even if the Sith manipulated the midichlorians to create Anakin, it didn't necessarily have to be sexual. It could still be a virgin birth. Shmi may have had no knowledge of anything other than that she was pregnant.

7. Darth_Satus

Darth_Satus Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
  8. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Shmi's reaction is fair to however you will to interpret it...which also means that there is no single correct intepretation. Even Lucas has left ambiguity on the subject following Palpatine's dialogue in ROTS. So whatever you want it to be, it can be.

9. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    She looked down to the ground for the dramatic effect of "there is no father".

Good Stuff

10. Xhedias

Xhedias Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    sound anything like virgin mary? didnt have sex but still had a kid... aint that a b!tch.

11. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Good Stuff

12. Han_the_Man_Solo

Han_the_Man_Solo Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    I think George Lucas has deliberately created ambiguity on this one. Apparently Lucas was considering scripting Palpatine in to telling Anakim that he used the medichlorins to conceive him during the Darth Plageious speech. But then de decided against it because he didn't want another "I am your father" moment.

13. DarkSider99

DarkSider99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2005
    i agree with you he probably didnt want to ruin the i am your father part on ESB by putting it in ROTS

14. Jedi-LaserTricks

Jedi-LaserTricks Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    Anakin is a Human-Being right? Then, he has a father. I think that when Shmi said that, she just meant noone that deserved to be called the term "father". Meaning, maybe she was raped or something. I'm not believing this, The Force created Ani crap.

15. Darth_Roadkill

Darth_Roadkill Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    GL Canon, the force created Anakin.

Does this mean the force created anakin to balance itself.

Did the Sith create Anakin to get a super sith?

Either way the force did it.

Also GL Canon, Anakins true origins are to be left up to the fans, believe what you want, for now, GL says he will not confirm or deny, he wants it to stay a mystery.

DRK

16. Master_Vrikk

Master_Vrikk Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    she's not lieing, because there was no father, Anikan was created, by darth Plaiguos. Sidious (his aprentace) said that plaiguos could use the dark side to influence the midi chlorians to create life (then palpatine looks at anikan funny)

Although i know this thrad was posted WAY before Episode 3 came out and every1 probly knows that by now, and no one is ever going to read this ever, ever again!

17. Lord_Garzo

Lord_Garzo Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    Personally, I think somebody used Mind Tricks on her to turn a trick.

18. Darth_Roadkill

Darth_Roadkill Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Again, its up to you to decide, it is impossible for you to be proven right one way or the other, because GL said it is left up to the fans. That means that even the EU is not allowed to explain it, just like Yodas race and origin. We will never know the truth, only what people speculate.

Personally I believe that Plagies created Palpatine with the dark side, so the Force created Anakin to get rid of him.

But I am both right and wrong, and there is no way around it.

Choose your own, or choose someone elses, but dont argue it to death unless its just for fun, and in that case there are threads dedicated to it.

DRK

19. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Maybe it has something to do with the Propchecy of the One. Jinn says that Ani was "concieved by the midi-clorians." Maybe it was his birth and/or conception that made the Force need balancing. The Jedi weren't using the Force to create life. They were using it to deflect blaster shots, save lives, win at gambling, ect. Fairly beign stuff. Then the Sith came along and found a way to use the Force to do things "considered unnatural." So, when Plagius created Anakin, the Force used him to balance itself.

20. PadmeAmidalaNaberrie

PadmeAmidalaNaberrie Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    I think Shmi merely looked down because she was nervous. She was about to tell Qui-Gon that "There was no father", I mean she was probably worried he wouldn't believe a story like that. That he'd label her crazy and take off and the possibility for Anakin to have a future would be lost. But she also realized, I'm sure, that lying to a Jedi master is pointless. Therefore she told the truth. Anakin had no father.

-*Padmé*-

21. SheLeftMeForAWookiee

SheLeftMeForAWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Anakin being fatherless is a parallel to other virgin-birth myths. It is intended to make Anakin seem more mystical than human in origin, duping the jedi into taking him into their fold. He was not created by another person, unless George Lucas says so, or gives someone else permission to say it in a licenced novel or comic. Until then, the mystery surrounding Anakin remains pretty much intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.