main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shmi's headstone--does Luke see it?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by I_Am_Not_A_Committee, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

I_Am_Not_A_Committee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2003
    In AOTC, Shmi is buried at the Lars' homestead.
    We all know Luke grows up in the care of his Uncle Owen. Was Luke aware that his grandmother was buried right behind his house? And if so, couldn't he have found out her name (presumably, it's on the headstone) and done some research to find out she was once a slave, with a son named Anakin?

2. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    If I'm not mistaken (not all too hard) I think there are some shots during A New Hope of the place where the headstone was, but apparently someone took it down in the time between AOTC & ANH. Right? :confused:

<[-]> Saber

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Correctamundo! </Pulp Fiction>

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

I_Am_Not_A_Committee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2003
    Can you tell me where the shots in ANH are, showing where the headstone once was? I have never picked up on this before. Thanks.

5. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I_Am_Not_A_Committe: Owen and Cliegg put up the grave right outside that domed hut going underground--and that area was repeatedly shown when the Jawas Sandcrawler arrived to barter with the family. :)

Therefore, I'm guessing they took it down to help not stir Luke's curiosity. ;)

<[-]> Saber

6. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know. I always thought it was there. I always saw 3 headstones in ANH, and 3 in AOTC after they bury Shmi.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Owen removed the tombstones sometime later so Luke wouldn't ask questions.

8. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    How do you know? Maybe it's still there? Or are there 2 in ANH? I'm not sure. I can't watch that part because I have to go to work in a few minutes. Someone please watch it and tell me if there are only 2 or 3 headstones.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There are no tombstones in ANH.

Read Tatooine Ghost, and all will be explained.

10. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    Even if Luke found out that Shmi had a son named Anakin, what does that mean? He probably knew his daddy's name anyway.

I doubt there was a detailed record of the Empire's rise in a local library, citing Anakin's turn to evil...though, if there was, that scene should've been in the movie. Luke's reading then he gets to that part and just stares, then closes the book really fast and stares out the window, thinking...then a little tear comes down his face.

But, alas...NOPE.

11. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    Yep, good book.

12. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Yeah, well did you ever think that Lucas didn't originally have it in his original idea that Shmi would be burried right there? ;)

Why not instead assume Lucas didn't have that in mind at the time and then they decided to do that in EPII, but now has to figure out how it's not in ep4 by putting a section of plot into EPIII when Owen woul step out for 5 seconds to Beru and say, "We need to remove this headstone. We don't want to stir Luke's curiosity when he gets older." and then turns to wink at the camera.

Hahahah!!! At least that's got to be what it adds up to.

13. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    I buy the fact that Owen could take it down in order to not stir Luke's curiosity.

Who knows, though. Maybe a sandstorm destroyed it. *shrug*

The most obvious answer though, as pointed above, is that Lucas didn't concieve this until years after ANH was filmed. :p

14. RRS-1980

RRS-1980 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2003
    Just another proof for the lack of continuity between OT & PT.

"I find those lacks of continuity disturbing."

15. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Tatooine Ghost aside, the shot that shows the headstones in AoTC is a wider shot than in ANH, thus the stones could still be there in ANH, just out of frame.

But I guess thanks again to the EU for explaining every detail away down to the nth degree, robbing us of every bit of mystery in SW, leaving nothing to the imagination.

16. oren_monash

oren_monash Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2003
    Any idea who the other headtones were for?
    Haven't read Tatooine Ghost. Whats' it about?

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Tatooine Ghost takes place shortly after Han and Leia get married. They go to Tatooine together to bid on this piece of Alderaanian art that contains a Rebel code; Imperials are also trying to bid on that art so they can break the code.

While on Tatooine, Leia meets some of Anakin's old friends like Kitster and Wald, and also some of the Podracer pilots who survived Boonta Eve. She finds Shmi's diary, and she learns quite a bit about Anakin's past. Since the diary is old, there are a lot of "skips" in the data pages, which is a handy way to step over any potential continuity errors that may result in Episode 3. We learn a lot about what Shmi did while Anakin was away, including how she was freed from Watto.

I believe the book does explain who the other two tombstones were for, but I don't remember.

The book is a great way to link the PT with the OT and post-ROTJ EU.

18. Master_Sidious

Master_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2003
    Just another proof for the lack of continuity between OT & PT.

But I guess thanks again to the EU for explaining every detail away down to the nth degree, robbing us of every bit of mystery in SW, leaving nothing to the imagination.

Funny how some people hate the fact that there is "lack of continuity", yet others rip the EU for taking care of the same "lack of continuity".

That amuses me.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It amuses me too. I guess they can never be satisfied.

20. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Leaving aside the actual 'Tatooine Ghost' explanation, I reckon the stones are under the treads of the Jawa sandcrawler. :p The Jawas wouldn't care, and it saves Owen a job ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Nah, the Sandcrawler didn't roll over the spot where the tombstone was. Watch the location in AOTC carefully, then compare it to ANH.

22. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I was only joking Bib ;) It'd have been a bit sick of Lucas to retroactively put the graves where the Sandcrawler parks up :p

:D {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23. vaughanskywalker

vaughanskywalker Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2003
    1980 - What about the lack of continuity between ANH and TESB, all of a sudden Vader is Luke's father. These things have to evolve over time, or else it's far too restrictive.

Anyway, Rock On.

24. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Actually, why not let Luke know? I mean, d'uh, he probably knew Owen was his step-uncle, and all that, so what's the harm in him knowing about Shmi?

25. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I wonder what they would call a 1/4 pounder with cheese on Courscant.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.