main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Shocking things people say to you

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Feb 22, 2013.

1. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    As I was taking coffee around for my customers,one older gentleman told me that he thought women were made for serving men.He wasn't kidding either.I was stunned,so I smiled and walked away.What is the craziest thing you've heard from someone?

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have a coworker who genuinely believed in those supposed alien spaceships out behind Mars last year. He told everybody that the aliens were going to be here in November.

3. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    When I brought up Martin Luther King's extramarital affairs to a friend--illustrating the fact that no man is without flaws--his grandfather piped in, "Well, the Blacks do that."

Definitely a WTF? moment.

MrZAP and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    "You should know how to clean that up; you're a woman."

Kiki-Gonn and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  5. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    My old boss' office was right next to my cubicle so I always heard his conversations with people. In one particularly memorable one, he claimed European immigrants were smarter than immigrants from "Southward" because it's cold in Europe so ancient Europeans had to develop technology and build things and stuff to keep warm, where as "the Latins" could just lay in the sun. As proof that Europeans were inherently smarter, he said you should look at the instruments. Europeans invented the harpsichord whereas "those others" play drums.

Another day he told someone they should read Animal Farm because it's terrifying how much like Communist Russia the current United States is. Within two hours he was telling someone else that the current United States is exactly like Nazi Germany.

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's backpack across Afghanistan.

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So he wasn't aware that "the Latins" are Europeans as well? :p

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    A well travelled acquaintance of mine who'd lived in the Middle East and Europe before moving to Australia told our group of friends seriously that he didn't like Indian people at all. It was disturbing to say the least.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "When I first met you I never knew you'd turn out to be such a huge nerd."

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    "There's no gravity at the equator" also "We're girls so we don't know how to do this math"

MrZAP and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  11. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Do you you have that book ' Mein Kampf', but with the big letters? And do you got it leather, I want a nice one.

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Oh, where to begin? Opposing space exploration because it "pollutes" space? Advocating nuclear war between India and Pakistan on the basis that they both "smell funny"? That only Christians should be free from religious persecution? That hurricanes and tsunamis are the Earthmother's retaliation for Amazon deforestation? Peaceful coexistence with other cultures is impossible because "their brains are just wired differently." (this from a nurse)? Mass deportation of anyone of visibly foreign descent "back to where they came from," followed by a policy of strict isolationism? That we should just hurry up and kill off the elderly, the sick, the disabled, and the unemployed because they're not serving any useful purpose anyways? That humans exist because aliens came to Earth long ago and mated with apes to create us? That Hitler "would've done better" if he'd just targeted the type of people who should be massacred?

I could go on and on and on...

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The list of sexist tripe I've heard in my lifetime would be a tl;dr wall of text so I'll spare you.

But here's a good one on a different subject:

"You need to have kids before you're 30." This is when I was 28 or so. (I had my kids at 33 and 35, they're fine and so am I.)

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "Don't you like white guys?" from a cousin, during a trial separation decades ago while dating Puerto Rican.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was with a guy the other day and he unironically used the word "fruit" to refer to a homosexual. I was genuinely shocked. I mean, it strikes me that it's not really PC anymore and even if it is PC, it's not the frigging seventies anymore.

16. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    All your comments are interesting and horrifically funny.

I have some relations that I don't associate with who are racist.The last time I visited them(during my grandmother's funeral week),I was listening to some music and my great-uncle asked me what I was listening to.I said Jay Z.He said,"You listen to Black People music?" I looked shocked and said," Yeah,why not?" He then looked at me funny.My grandmother used to take her clothes to the laundromat and she always washed the washer before she put her clothes in there because the African Americans might've washed their clothes in there.It really weirded me out because my parents are against racism in any form.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "I really do believe that we will be greeted as liberators." [face_plain]

MrZAP, V-2, Kiki-Gonn and 3 others like this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "im at a payphone trying to call home all of my change ive spent on you"

really, dude? its, like, the 2010s. where did you even find a payphone?

"my rooms got rooms!"

naw, jeezy... those are just closets

Arawn_Fenn, AaylaSecurOWNED and Ramza like this.
  19. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've found that the more offensively prejudiced stuff I've gotten over the years have been from people who started the conversation with offensively prejudiced stuff and it would just get worse from there.

Example*:

Person: You know what I like about you, Brian? You're not "angry". You seem to get along with everybody and you stay positive.
    Me: Well, thanks. I try to be positiv--
    Person: Right. That's what I mean. I mean sure there are a lot of racist white people, but you seem to get that not everybody's racist and you treat everybody as individuals. I appreciate that about you.
    Me: Well, thanks again...but...and I'm sure you're not implying anything to the contrary, but just to be clear, I don't think there are too many people who think everybody's racist...
    Person: Oh come on, man. You know you've met the type. "I want my 40 acres and a mule! Affirmative Action this. Affirmative Action that. Give me more welfare."
    Me: *mouth agape* Umm...I think you're conflating different things. Most of the people I know who advocate those policies are actually white...
    Person: Oh, I know. I know. And it's not like Affirmative Action is bad anyway. I mean, let's face it. You wouldn't be here, right?
    Me: ...
    Person: Now don't get all offended, dude. You know I love you and think you're the best. There's not a racist bone in my body. I've had black friends over to my house for dinner. I'm just saying that other people aren't as open-minded as me.
    Me: *whispering* Now there's a scary thought...
    Person: Dude. You're married to a white lady. Do you think I care? I say that's your business.
    Me: ...

*Although mostly paraphrased, this is a real conversation. Yeah...

Edit: Forgot my favorite line in that conversation!

MrZAP, V-2, Kiki-Gonn and 4 others like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my number, call me maybe?"

I didn't call her. I don't associate with people who only speak in rhythmic verse.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you're missing out. that chick is wild

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    "Mission Accomplished!"

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Round two, because the stupid never stops coming.

People with red hair (or any shade that could conceivably be called red in a certain light) are "creepy" and "untrustworthy." "Black people look like gorillas." "It's too bad we can't use the death penalty on children anymore." Everything in life must be seen in moral black or white, otherwise "life would be too complicated." "I don't give to charity because they don't shower me with gratitude enough." "How can poor people stand living in such ugly dumps?" [their homes]. "They can't do that! That's racism!" [from the speaker of the gorilla line]. "Nobody would bother gays if they just kept to themselves." "People with nothing to hide don't need to be afraid of mass surveillance." "We should bring back public hangings."
    Oddly, contrary to what one would usually expect, my grandparents were the only non-racists in my family.

LifeInTechnicolor likes this.
  24. LifeInTechnicolor

Sep 3, 2012
    I get the 'Gingers Have No Soul' line all the time.I'm also left-handed,so that makes me 'sinister' as someone pointed out a few years ago.I laughed at them.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    This is even worse: on the level of actually being disturbed by seeing one on television.