main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Shocking things people say to you

Discussion in 'Community' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    (On the day DADT was repealed) "Well, that's it. Our military's ruined." Said by the same boss who made the delightful comments about immigration

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    1) Women have smaller brains, so LandothesourGrapes is correct. They cannot be funnier by SCIENCE.

2) KMFDM, huh? 1995 called and is super glad you discovered it's music.

(No, but seriously, I remember them and FLA fondly from my industrial days)

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Because she reaches out to the same "tinglies in my giney means true love" demographic as the Twilight franchise.

EDIT -- And the Jonas Brothers.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1995 called 3 years late.

Mortimer Snerd and harpuah like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Pfft whatever Vivec. I was listening to industrial in 1995, when it more or less peaked as a genre. When Rhys Fulber produced Fear Factory's seminal work, Demanufacture. When kids thought they liked NIN because of the chorus to Closer... Nailbomb! Nailbomb, Vivec.

Don't give me this revisionist rubbish. I was there man. The future was grim and dystopian!

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    They became mainstream in 1995, if that's what you mean by peaked. They've been together and releasing albums since 1984.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Industrial really went mainstream in 1995 because, largely, of NIN's Downward Spiral and Ministry's Psalm 69. Yes, Downward was 1994 but Closer blew up after that, and whatever Reznor is now, Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, 57N and the rest are industrial. 1995 was also when Filter broke out with Hey Man Nice Shot and their debut Shortbus. People know them for "Take a picture" but their debut was softer industrial.

So, um, yeah. Crazy times, those 1990s.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    They're not my favorite, though. I prefer more electro-industrial over industrial metal. Stuff like God Module, The Retrosic, Grendel, etc.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The fact that NIN is being discussed in a conversation about real industrial music is making the rivetheads cry. Post industrial metal, sure. Nothing more than that. Now go listen to some throbbing gristle and think about what you've done.

10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    If you guys want to revisit what industrial music really was, you'd do well to listen to some of the WaxTrax bands like Pailhead, Foetus, early Front 242, Lead Into Gold, and just about anything KMFDM produced before Nihil.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Thirlwell + Watts + Cabaret V + TG are pretty much the essentials.

edit: And Einsturzende.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    HAMBURGER LAAAAAAADY

13. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Fun fact: Last night I woke up at 2:00 am in a small fit of cough, got some menthol **** to calm the cough down and read the above exchange on my iPhone before going to sleep again. Next I had a dream about Vivec selling out all of his nerdy stuff (books, dvds, action figures, you name it) in some old library building and I went to check out, there I found some old college friends. We hung out and met Vivec's sister (whether he has a sister IRL is irrelevant) and got to ride a giant robot on the parking lot. Then at night we went to sleep it some lounge room, blissfully unaware of the fact that there was a giant monster/demon in the basement that would come out after dark and perhaps we'd have to fight for our lives. I don't know what happened next because I woke up, hopefully it will be continued.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    To be fair, and to put this into context, he considers Metallica and Megadeath to be good metal.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Old Metallica and Megadeth are good metal.

16. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Good gawd man...they are not. Especially Megadeth.

You need to cleanse your brain. Start with Volbeat...work your way up to Amon Amarth. Avoid all commercial radio stations at all costs, and if you've got Pandora, create a station entitled "Slayer."

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I like Amon Amarth and Slayer too. :p

18. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    All is not lost. Huzzah!

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Was it ever confirmed whether KMFDM did or did not stand for "Kill ****** ******* Depeche Mode"?

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, that's a [really dumb] urban myth.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid (no pity for the majority).

21. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    That's a very old rumor. It stands for "Kein mitlieb fur die mehreit" or something similar. It means "No pity for the majority."

Edit: Goddammit Kristie. That's twice you've ****blocked me with an answer to a query inside of a month.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Dave... we're twinkie old farts.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ahh, good to know. Thanks.

24. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Goodness, this thread has taken an interesting turn. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.[face_thinking]

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My favorite thing ever is when people try to disguise blatant racism as statistics with a sprinkle of personal anecdotes.

"Hey, I'm not racist; it's a fact that 80% [blacks/jews/romani/hispanic/asian] are [lazy/thieves/unintelligent]. One of them [stole my car/ate my cat/looked at me weird], so I know what I'm talking about."

Bonus points if they add: "I don't hate them because they are [blacks/jews/romani/hispanic/asian]; i hate them because they are [lazy/thieves/unintelligent]"

MrZAP, JackG, Summer Dreamer and 3 others like this.