main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Shores Yet Untrod (AU; Kyp, OCs, post-TUF; A/N - on hiatus, 3/19)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Onderon1, Mar 5, 2011.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I can just imagine Kyp doesn't like coordinating stuff :p It was nice seeing Luke's end of things and haha! I wonder who he's gonna send?

2. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Yay! Update! [face_dancing]

"Yeah ... anything I can do, or would I be an extra pair of hands?" Kyp asked. He might have to hide inside the ship, but he'd be karked if he was just going to sit around - or worse, meditate. He wasn't cut out to be one of those kinds of Jedi Masters.

Never going there! :p

He left the circuitry bay, poking his head in the main engineering hold, and watched for a bit as a pair of stubby, brown-furred legs kicked every so often while sticking out from underneath the main deflector shield generator.

That sounds funny. I'd like to see that.

No less important. If she doesn't calibrate the shield input/output ratios right, we could blow the entire generator up instead of just singing a few individual components, Kyp realized.

I like how they gave the kids great responsibility, too.

When did I stop being Kyp Durron, butt-kicker, and start being a ... a Jedi Master?

[face_laugh] Kyp is definitely doing a lot of un-Kyp-like things on this trip.

Technically gifted, Kolir was apprenticed to Lusa, the Chironian Jedi who was now in charge of the Ossus Praxeum's technological resources.

[face_dancing] [face_love] :* Thank you so much for letting Lusa live!!! [:D]

Luke wasn't going to miss any more time with his family than he had to, now that the Vong War was over.

Good decision!

"Very well, Master Skywalker, thank you. The Galactic Alliance security fleet you asked the government to send has proven most helpful in preventing further incursions by rogue Yuuzhan Vong," Nali Toleth said, smiling a little. "And I've been able to get more rest as the Abrion Sector's security situation stabilizes."

Yes! Glad to hear there isn't any danger of a Vong attack anymore and that Nali is getting some rest. Btw: The scene where Kyp sang her a lullaby was soooooo cute! [face_love] I loved that one.

Luke nodded, letting Ben lay his head on his shoulder as he thought. "Maybe it would be wise to remind that portion of the galaxy that we Jedi aren't laying down our lightsabers. Nali, we'll be in touch - if you'll excuse me," he said, and Kolir looked at him with surprise as Nali signed off.

I'm a little surprised how quickly (abruptly) Luke ended the call, but it seems he "has a bad feeling about it".

"Ask the Council to gather, please, Kolir - I'll check with Master Jade-Skywalker, see how she's doing with our daughter, Hope.

Aww, they've got another child? How cute. And a great name.

A 2-month-old can be a handful, and so can an 18-month-old," Luke said, laughing as Ben looked at him with a frown, then giggled.

"Da silly," Ben exclaimed, and Luke just shrugged while Artoo followed them out of the communications room.

[face_laugh] Ben understood him? :D Such a smart kid!

Well, Kyp's not alone. And I have an idea of who to send to help him ...

CORRAN HORN! :D [face_laugh] Okay, that would be a punishment. Then again, CorSec is highly competent. And it would mean that Kyp will hurry up to get his assignment done - so that he won't have to work with Corran anymore. :p

But Jaina is a more likely choice. In that case, I forsee a couple of shouting matches and girl fights between her and Dalonera...

=D= Great update!

3. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Jade_eyes: Yeah, Kyp's feeling a little left out of the loop. That won't last forever, though - the next chapter's going to move things along, as Kyp and Co. finally reach Socorro. :)

As for whom Luke will ask to help out, there'll be quite a few familiar faces, and some (IMHO) showdowns that we should've been able to see in canon ... [face_thinking]

For a week when I'm supposed to be on vacation, it's been unusually busy ... [face_blush]

Indeed not. :D Kyp's going to get back into the butt-kicking mode very soon. ;)

I had this image of an Ewok working on the underside of a car, and it sort of came together from there. :p

And I wanted to be sure the kids had a role as well. As Kyp points out, the faster they can get off of Tatooine, the better.

Yeah, Kyp's getting plenty of practice in as far as patience. :p He'll get a chance to vent soon, though.

And you're welcome. :D I didn't like Lusa's (IMHO) needless, off-screen death in the NJO.

Yeah; there was a lot of emphasis in The Unifying Force about Luke needing to rest after being poisoned by Shimmrra's amphistaff. I wanted to be sure that, since this 'fic is set right after this timeline's TUF, that it at least addressed what Luke was going through. Also, he and Mara had been separated from Ben for long enough already, and Mara did give birth, here, just two months earlier.

Part of Kyp's role is to not just assess how each praxeum is doing, but also to offer help where it's needed. On Ukio, at least, he was able to. :)

And Luke's learned to trust his instincts, as well as the Force. Daala and her erstwhile allies are about to learn that messing with the new Jedi Order is a losing proposition ... [face_mischief]

I've written more with Hope in other 'fics - she's quite the handful, but she means well. :)

And given the brains that Mara must have to have accomplished all she did, I'm pretty sure Ben's up there in intelligence, also. [face_thinking]

[face_laugh] Corran's busy. But another Horn might be making an appearance, soon. [face_whistling]

And there will be a discussion between Jaina and Dalonera. Set anti-snark shields to maximum ... :p

Thanks for reading, [face_peace]
    Onderon1

4. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Yub. Wire strippers.

One of the best lines I've read in a long time. THat could just be the weirdo in me coming out, though. ;) Great update! Nice to see Luke and family again.

5. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: RL's being a schutta - again [face_frustrated] - so I haven't been able to do proper plot work for this. But I do want to get at least a small update out there until I can get the next long one together. [face_peace]

This includes a bit of Kyp and Dalonera's backstory ... and introduces another of the bad guys.

-----------------------------------------------
    24 ABY: Jedi Praxeum, Yavin 4, Gordian Reach,
    Outer Rim Territories:
    -----------------------------------------------

The first time they met was when Death Watch attacked.

Looking back, Kyp would later muse that it was harder to believe that Mandalorians hadn't attacked the praxeum sooner, than it was hard to believe that Mandalorians would attack at all. Between Tionne's discoveries on Ossus and the holocrons recovered from Palpatine's vaults on Coruscant, the restored Jedi had a much greater idea of just how many problems the kriffing armor-clad maniacs had caused the Order's forebears.

We'd gotten too used to Fett keeping a low profile, Kyp thought, nodding for Miko Reglia to watch his back as they chased a squad of Mandos through the underbrush. The students, thank the Force, were safe - Kam was ferocious in protecting the younglings, while the Solo twins and their crowd were clearly competent with all their misadventures. And Luke had the Massassi temple secured, so all that was left was to round up or drive off the riff-raff.

Kyp? Miko called through the Force, prompting a nod from Kyp and a few hand signals. Combat sign language wasn't Kyp's strongest suit, but he'd picked up some basics from Kyle, and Miko was attuned enough by now to Kyp that he got the gist of what his Jedi Master wanted him to do.

Flank the murglaks, and I'll take them from the front, Kyp "said." Miko nodded, unusually grim, and slipped through a thicket as Kyp shook his head. They'd lost a couple of Miko's classmates to particularly opportunistic Mando gravel maggots, and despite Miko's airs of youthful arrogance, he was really quite introspective and sensitive.

Sometimes, Miko had gotten in trouble for sitting on the Praxeum roof and staring at the stars. Not so much these days, what with Octa Ramis dragging Miko off (sometimes literally), but nevertheless, Miko had a big heart. He wasn't so cynical as Kyp sometimes got, and Kyp didn't want to see the kid get hurt.

I'm getting soft ... Kyp mocked, shaking his head - then, he felt someone on the edge of the dark side.

Actually, two someones - both Force-sensitive, with the red-tinged hunger of combatants who were too used to going full-tilt. Whoever they were, neither was Mara; she got cold when she was fighting at top form, and saved her furious moments for Luke, actually.

There were recurring stories among the mechanics in the droid pool that Artoo had colorful holos of what went on in the Skywalker quarters ...

Ick. Ick ick ick. Bad mental images, Kyp gagged inwardly, focusing. He shook his head, projecting reassurance to Miko at the youth's confused Force-call, and they moved closer to where the Death Watch scum were apparently arguing -

PYEOOWWW!

"KARK!" Kyp snapped under his breath, diving aside as a Mandalorian fell within centimeters of his hiding place. A scorched hole high on the male Mando's armor, combined with the sudden void in the Force, confirmed that someone had a high-powered blaster rifle and a taste for killing Death Watch members. Normally, Kyp would've applauded.

Trouble is, are we being helped or is this just an internal scuffle? Kyp wondered, reaching out and trying to find the shooter with the Force. He'd been burned too many times by treacherous "allies" to trust unknowns, and he made sure to tell Miko to stay down until -

There! None too subtle, either, Kyp realized, watching the shooter leap from a tree, shouldering her rifle and drawing a wicked-looking vibroblade. It was a female humanoid in gold-plated armor over a black bodysuit, a Mando helmet - minus the Death Watch crest - confirmin

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed the action and back story :D

7. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Yay! A long one! Ond'ika, I had so much fun reading this! =D= [face_dancing]

kriffing armor-clad maniacs

[face_laugh] Oh man, reading this chapter from Kyp's perspective is amazing! I love his snark.
    Is it a bad that I like the "kriffing armor-clad maniacs" and think lightsaber weilding ones would be particularily awesome?

Combat sign language wasn't Kyp's strongest suit, but he'd picked up some basics from Kyle, and Miko was attuned enough by now to Kyp that he got the gist of what his Jedi Master wanted him to do.

Combat sign language seems like a very handy skill and something I can see Kyp picking up.

Miko nodded, unusually grim, and slipped through a thicket as Kyp shook his head.

This is before the Vong War, correct? Nice to see Miko get some action. He only got a small part in profic.

Sometimes, Miko had gotten in trouble for sitting on the Praxeum roof and staring at the stars. Not so much these days, what with Octa Ramis dragging Miko off (sometimes literally), but nevertheless, Miko had a big heart. He wasn't so cynical as Kyp sometimes got, and Kyp didn't want to see the kid get hurt.

Great to see they get along so well and it's touching how protective Kyp is. Miko seems like a nice chara.

I'm getting soft ... Kyp mocked, shaking his head - then, he felt someone on the edge of the dark side.

Yes, you are.

Whoever they were, neither was Mara; she got cold when she was fighting at top form, and saved her furious moments for Luke, actually.

I like the description of how Mara feels and it makes sense to me. But poor Luke. [face_laugh]

Ick. Ick ick ick. Bad mental images, Kyp gagged inwardly, focusing.

Yes. That's not a way you want to be thinking about your teacher.

Except that she's more graceful, Kyp allowed, watching the female duck and dodge two more of the Death Watch attackers. She slashed at one's throat, then stabbed the vibroblade between two plates of the second attacker, dropping both, and she aimed some kind of wrist-mounted weapon on her left gauntlet at the remaining assassin.

Great action and Dalonera is amazing!

The remaining Death Watch member - in light-blue armor over a grey bodysuit - spat something in Mandalorian; the whole language sounded to Kyp like either a dirge or someone gargling with rancid Corellian ale, to be honest.

[face_laugh] I'm sure any Mando'ade would object to this description of Mando'a.
    I find this part especially amusing because we know that Kyp learns some of the language later on and gets to appreciate the culture.

It was bad enough that Death Watch had decided to exercise their historical dislike of Jedi, but Force-sensitive Mandos were just unfair.

Yes. But seriously bad-ass if they are on your side!

Well, as familiar as a white-outlined, black-bladed lightsaber with an oddly-shaped blade could be.

:eek: Wow. I could imagine a lightsaber with a black blade, but not with the colors inverted. Interesting idea. That lightsaber smacks of trouble, though.

"Durron. Oh, this is too good. Not only do I get to put down this copikla do-gooder and her disgusting mingling of Mando and jetiise traditions, but I get to butcher the most annoying of Skywalker's students," the Death Watcher snarled, blocking Kyp's feint with that weird lightsaber. "Like my toy? It's a family heirloom."

Oh great, a family of Jedi-hating, almost-Sith Mandalorians. :(

How comes he knows Kyp? (Is he that popular already?)

"Welcome. So, you're the dreaded Master Durron. Not so dire as Master Hamner tells me. I'm Dalonera Milthiad," the 20-something woman said, letting Kyp shake her hand

[face_laugh] Thank goodness she has only talked to Hamner. Would have liked to hear Corran's opinion of Kyp. :p

"Killed two of your students, Alor Hamner. And that chakaar Morgax Viszla has the Darksaber. That thing's thousands of years old and it's k

8. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks for reading. :D

Thanks, Chilla. :D This update actually came together surprisingly quickly; sometimes they gel, and sometimes they take longer to figure out ... [face_thinking]

It's not bad at all. [face_mischief] And I agree - combat sign language would be most useful, especially to someone like Kyp who's both charming and able to kick butt. :D

Yeah - poor Miko. :( From what little we know of him, he was a deeper thinker, and more sensitive, than I think a lot of fans believe a Padawan of Kyp's might be like. Certainly, Octa Ramis loved Miko deeply, so he had to have something positive going for him. And I can see Kyp looking out for his students. :)

[face_laugh] Ah, Kyp and real emotion. The twain shall meet, whether or not Master Durron likes it. :p

Mara, at this point, wasn't yet as quiet as she seemed to be in DNT and the early part of LOTF. I think maternity had something to do with that - she was focused on protecting Ben - but I also think that Mara got too far off course for a while. A mom can still kick butt with the best of them, especially when protecting her kids. :)

And poor Kyp. [face_laugh] Yeah, he's probably not a 'shipper ... :p

(bows) I wanted to write Dalonera as competent, but not as a Mary Sue; at this point, she's still more used to non-Force-combat. And tbh, the Death Watch punks she took out were redshirts. [face_laugh]

As for Kyp's arrogant disdain, Dalonera may have had a hand in "correcting" his attitude. [face_mischief]

Fortunately for Kyp, Dalonera was, in this case. :D

[quote-Chilla]:eek: Wow. I could imagine a lightsaber with a black blade, but not with the colors inverted. Interesting idea. That lightsaber smacks of trouble, though.

Oh great, a family of Jedi-hating, almost-Sith Mandalorians. :(

How comes he knows Kyp? (Is he that popular already?)[/quote]

The Darksaber is actually from The Clone Wars: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_%28lightsaber%29 It fell into the hands of Clan Vizsla at some point during Mandalorian conflicts with the Jedi - my money would be on Shae Vizsla, the Mando bounty hunter from The Old Republic, looting the Darksaber during the Sacking of Coruscant. [face_thinking]

And Morgax doesn't know Kyp personally. Kyp's just got a rep already for taking out underworld thugs. [face_mischief]

The follow-up flashback will have at least one Corran scene. :p

And Vizsla (which I misspelled the first ti

9. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Nice update! I love the backstory here, I'm glad you're filling me in. I get the impression I missed something when those two first met in the story. :D

Good stuff, keep it coming when Darth RL cooperates. :)

10. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Another short update; RL's been hectic ... blush This'll finish the backstory between Kyp and Dalonera, and answer just why she left the Order ... peace

-------------------------------------------------
    24 ABY: Yavin 4, Yavin System, Gordian Reach,
    Outer Rim Territories:

The Death Watch crowd had already made orbit by the time Kyp, Dalonera and other combat-trained pilots had scrambled. Dalonera had a YT-2400 freighter she called Akalenedat, or "hard contact," meaning heavy combat in Mandalorian, and she led the charge as the rough crowd of about 14 ships chased the Death Watch shuttles.

"Can't say I approve of attacking shuttlecraft, even if they're carrying murderers," Kyp warned Dalonera via com. He could sense her frustration - no, desperation, almost as if ...

Kyp toggled on a private com-channel, signalling for Dalonera to do the same. She appeared in his XJ-2's holoproj, frowning a bit, and said, "You'll get a real target soon enough, Durron. Check your long-range scanners for an Endurance-class fighter carrier. If Vizsla's up to his usual routine, he's ordered it hidden behind the gas giant."

"I'll do that. In the meantime, though, do you have any history with these Death Watch goons?" Kyp asked, ordering his astromech Zero to start the scan.

Dalonera's faint amusement, tinged with bitterness, rolled back through the Force. "Morgax and I ... let's just say, the old line about 'a woman scorned' and all that. I should've listened to my mother when she told me Vizslas are irredeemable shabuirade, but I was young. Now let's focus on not getting vaped - that carrier's got ion cannons, so tell your friends to watch their backs," she warned, cutting the channel.

Well, that certainly explains a lot. And ion cannons - yeah, an Endurance-class carrier should have a variety of weapons. But if we can bring the fight in closer to them ... Kyp thought, switching back to the open channel.

"Miko, Octa, split the rest of the squadron into four threes and stagger the attacks. Two threes watch for fighters, the other two prepare for a bombing run on the carrier. I'll watch our visiting Mandalorian's back," Kyp called, and the others in the loose group called "the Dozen and a Half Avengers" formed up as they came around the red gas giant which Yavin 4 orbited.

"THERE! 148 mark 26," one of the other pilots yelled. Kyp looked, nodding and frowning as a long, delta-winged cruiser with a rather fat command bridge stuck atop its rear pylon appeared in visual range, surrounded by shuttles and familiar-looking snubfighters.

"Headhunters, closing fast. I count at least a dozen," another of the pilots warned. Kyp double-clicked his com, then called Dalonera again.

"Tell the two threes assigned to fighter screen to concentrate on drawing the Headhunter formations apart. They like to brag about their kills, so they'll be sloppy, trying to kill our pilots. If we can take out the carrier's bridge or engines, we might have a chance of keeping it in-system," Dalonera advised, determination growing within her.

"Makes sense. Which do you prefer, engines or bridge? Either one's fine by me," Kyp pointed out.

Amusement turned to annoyance in Dalonera's Force-presence, but Kyp hardened his shields and added, "Look, I'm not letting you suicide in a head-on attack against any capital ship, even a lesser-armed one like an Endurance-class. You need a wingman."

"... fine. Just keep up. Zobox! Top guns! R-3! Recheck the shields, we're going in hot!" Dalonera ordered - evidently to her crew. With that, the Akalenedat lunged forward into the teeth of the enemy, Kyp's Dozen-and-a-Half close behind.

"Boss ... be careful," Octa called, and Kyp projected confidence and gratitude to the young Knight before following Dalonera's freighter.

"Always, Octa. Keep Miko safe. I'll see you both on the other side. May the Force be with you," Kyp called, refocusing - he was a good pilot, but he wasn't so good that he could afford distractions at a time

11. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    "Morgax and I ... let's just say, the old line about 'a woman scorned' and all that. I should've listened to my mother when she told me Vizslas are irredeemable shabuirade, but I was young."

That explains a lot!

Amusement turned to annoyance in Dalonera's Force-presence, but Kyp hardened his shields and added, "Look, I'm not letting you suicide in a head-on attack against any capital ship, even a lesser-armed one like an Endurance-class. You need a wingman."

Well, well, how convenient for Kyp. :p

Some meditate sitting cross-legged. I meditate in a cockpit, Kyp thought, half-closing his eyes.

[face_laugh] That's Kyp, right there! I think you're doing an amazing job of keeping him in character. =D=

It was almost pretty, if it hadn't run the risk of being lethal.

Like this sentence.

Whatever the cannon was, it belched a massive, golden bolt of energy that tore directly into Dalonera's freighter. Kyp peeled off, watching in horror as the blast ripped through the YT-2400's shields ... and main hull.

:eek: Woah, that's some nasty gun! Makes me think of the big gun with the 3 barrels in Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End.

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO FIND HER ALIVE? OR IS THIS JUST A PARTICULARLY STRENUOUS MATING RITUAL? YOU ORGANICS, ESPECIALLY YOU, SEEM TO GO TO ILLOGICAL EXTREMES WHEN PROPAGATION OF THE SPECIES IS AT STAKE.

[face_laugh] Okay, I can see clearly why Kyp had this droid replaced!

None of them, however, were Verpine. Dalonera closed her eyes and sent a wish to the manda, breathing, "Rest easy, Zobox."

:( Poor Verpine and poor Dalonera.

Dalonera looked at him, curious - what would drive him to be so willing to aid a woman he barely knew?

Lol... I'm sure she'll figure it out soon!

"Can't you try and save the galaxy without chasing after me like a nek puppy?"

[face_laugh] Kyp = puppy. Oh yes, she knows what's up.

"Master Corran Horn. I'm assisting in security around here," the guy said with a Corellian accent. Dalonera tried not to roll her eyes; Corellians always acted like they had something to prove, and it got old fast.

[face_laugh] That seems to be a common trait of Corellians!

"Look, I grew up on Vorpa'ya, splitting time between there and Desevro. I've got relatives on both planets. I hate dark-side osik, I really hate Death Watch, and yes, that scumbag Morgax Vizsla is an ex-boyfriend of mine. No, I'm not his friend. And you can take the suspicious attitude and stiff spine and walk on out of here if you're going to give me grief, OK?" Dalonera rambled.

Wooot! [face_dancing] =D= Go, Dalonera! [face_laugh] I like Corran, but sometimes his suspicious attitude is too much.

Dalonera blushed deeply, mortified, and added, "Tell me that was the painkillers?"

[face_laugh] No such luck, I'm afraid.

"Oh, I really like you now," Kyp snickered, and Dalonera glanced at Master Hamner for an explanation.

Just one more reason for Kyp to like her. :D

She looked at him closely, and added, "You would've made a good Mandalorian."

And here's a reason for her to like Kyp....

He's really kind of cute if I can make him blush, she realized, enjoying as Kyp scrambled to get her some water.

Awww! [face_love]

For Kyp, the time was a whirlwind of learning Mandalorian, listening to stories of Dalonera's crazy ancestors, and the occasional round of ... fun. They were both adults, and enjoyed each other's company, and ...

Yepp, he learned his Mando'a from her.

Can I say that I really like this couple and the small love story here?

Kyp's eyebrows rose when he heard the other person speak - Jaina Solo.

Yay! It's Jaina! Both Dalonera and Jaina are incredibly headstrong - this will get ugly.

"If you'd weaved better, relied on your own Force-senses, you might've kept up."

One relies too much on the Force and one to

12. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    (nods) I had this idea that Dalonera might've been not as choosy as she should've been about boyfriends when she was younger. :oops: She should've listened to her mother. :p

And Kyp does know how to work an opening. [face_laugh] Thanks, too - I'm glad my interpretation of Kyp is on target. :D

(bows) Thanks. It's strange, how some scenes can be violent and yet contain some beauty.

I'd thought of defining the "mega-turbo-laser" as a plasma cannon, but George Lucas recently confirmed that all blasters fire plasma in SW. [face_thinking] Then again, to borrow a quote from KOTOR, "Mandalorians do not make a habit of being subtle in their warmaking." :p

And Zero ... yeah, he was never the most personable droid. :p He was just plain philosophically weird in Dark Journey, and I wanted to be sure to be true to the timeframe for the flashback.

Zobox went down fighting, at least, but yeah - this incident had more of an effect on Dalonera than she liked to admit. Then, or in the "present." [face_thinking]

And Dalonera's sharp, too. :D

She's not one to take any guff. [face_mischief] I feel bad now, though, what with all the grief I've put the Horn clan through in some other 'fics ... :(

I'm glad this part had the intended effect. :) Dalonera takes after her many-times great-grandmother, Redona, but Kyp's no Torman Marnis - he's much more realistic than Torman was ... [face_thinking]

(bows) Thanks. :D Whether they'll reunite ... is still up in the air.

I wanted to be careful with this confrontation - at this point, Jaina is nowhere on Kyp's radar, other than as the daughter of a good friend. [face_peace]

Jaina, being 15, and Leia and Han's daughter, and Mara's student ... well, I can see her being a bit territorial about another quick-witted warrior woman on the campus grounds. :p Whether Jaina had any feelings for Kyp at this point, in this AU ... who knows.

Oh, Dalonera's very much like Mara and Jaina. She might settle down someday, but as of 24 ABY ... well, it wasn't going to be then.

And thanks - I was aiming for a realistic separation, here. [face_peace]

13. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Another great update! I love the backstory, it makes this even more interesting. :D

If that was a short post, I'd hate to see a longer one though. [face_laugh]

Keep 'em comin!

14. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008

A/N: Blergh. Been a LONG week ... I-) However, here's an update. :D

28.3 ABY: freighter Atin, registered to
    Dalonera Milthiad, Docking Bay 49, Mos Eisley,
    Tatooine, Arkanis Sector, Outer Rim Territories:

"Freep-tweet?" Qewpee chirped curiously, helping Ejen check the underside of the Atin for any leftover damage from the Star Destroyer attack. The last day had gone by fast, and the freighter was almost ready to go, Captain Milthiad'd said.

"Nah, just thinking. Thanks, Qewpee," Ejen said, trying to smile a little and focus. Master Durron and Yaja'torva were able to keep on target, but it was tough for Ejen - he was still thinking about everyone he'd left behind when he'd left Molavar.

What'll the Ghosts do to Jamor? He could be a jerk, but he's still my brother. And being a Jedi ... I'm getting it, but not fast enough. Well, I don't think so ... Ejen worried, looking for scorch marks and cracks in the durasteel.

Everyone was really great, and Ejen was glad to get a chance to start over. He just didn't know if he was really good enough to be a Jedi, so he tried a centering exercise like Yaja had shown him. The Twi'lek girl was really kind ... and pretty, Ejen had noticed.

I don't want t'mess that up, though. What do I even say to a girl? 'Specially a Jedi girl who lost her dad? I might not ever see her again after we drop her off on Socorro ... wake UP, Rask. Focus, remember? Ejen thought, trying to let the Force flow through him.

When he tried to listen to the Force, he finally noticed them - minds, sneaky but not mean, greedy, he knew the type from street operators he'd met back on Molavar.

Scammers and thieves! Ejen thought, opening his eyes and spinning around. He pulled the stun blaster Norbok had given him, instead of the training lightsaber on his belt - Ejen didn't want to give away that he was a Jedi learner - and looked around, trying to find where the thieves were.

ZRRAPPPP!!

"FREWEEEPPPP!" Qewpee cried out, and Ejen turned, looking for his friend. The R2 unit had been really kind to him, and Ejen wasn't going to let anyone hurt the droid.

He felt awful when he saw Qewpee fall over, blue lightning crackling around her - and four or five little figures in dark brown robes picking her up, chatting.

Jawas! Ejen realized, yelling aloud, "HEY! Leave my friend alone!"

The Jawas panicked, and started making a run for it, but Ejen wasn't gonna let them get away. He tried to fire a few stun shots, running after them, and yelled into his comlink, "Master Durron! Jawas are stealing Qewpee!"

----------------------------------------------

"WHAT!? Ejen, wait - do NOT pursue, wait until we can get - EJEN!" Kyp yelled into the comsuite in the Atin's cockpit. He could sense the kid's panic and fear, and understood how Ejen felt, but this was exactly the situation Kyp had feared.

Ejen's on the edge already, losing his brother and leaving Molavar. If he loses a friend while he's still in the early stages of training, he might do something he'll regret, take a step he shouldn't ...

Kyp leapt up, running into the main hold as Dalonera, Yaja'torva and Norbok gathered. "I felt Ejen cry out in the Force. Master Durron, what's happened?" Yaja'torva asked, her head-tails twitching with concern.

"Jawas nabbed Qewpee. We're not leaving either Ejen or Qewpee behind - Dalonera, I need your help. Jawas can be sneaky, and I need someone to watch my back while I calm Ejen down. The kid's Force-strong enough that he might be a handful if he's too on edge," Kyp said.

"Sure. I'm not vaping Jawas unless I have to, though. They're scavengers, opportunists, not evil," Dalonera replied, checking her weapons.

"Agreed. I don't want to hurt anyone either. I've got some credits; maybe we can just buy Qewpee back. Norbok, Yaja'torva, get the Atin's pre-flight checklist done. I want us ready to bl

15. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Just when I was gonna hire some Mercs to go and search for you. :p

Zero is actually the droid in Dark Journey? Oh, I remember him now! Funny, I thought you had made Zero up.

What'll the Ghosts do to Jamor? He could be a jerk, but he's still my brother. And being a Jedi ... I'm getting it, but not fast enough. Well, I don't think so ... Ejen worried, looking for scorch marks and cracks in the durasteel.

I like Ejen. I keep mixing him up with Tiegan, though. [face_hypnotized]

The Twi'lek girl was really kind ... and pretty, Ejen had noticed.

Uh-oh....

"FREWEEEPPPP!" Qewpee cried out, and Ejen turned, looking for his friend. The R2 unit had been really kind to him, and Ejen wasn't going to let anyone hurt the droid.

UTINI!!! But woah - trying to steal somebody's astromech right under their nose? That's kinda bold.

Ejen's on the edge already, losing his brother and leaving Molavar. If he loses a friend while he's still in the early stages of training, he might do something he'll regret, take a step he shouldn't ...

Hadn't thought about it that way, but makes sense. Hopefully that won't happen. [face_worried] But makes me glad Kyp is there. Because of his past, he's the right person to deal with such a situation should it happen.

"Sure. I'm not vaping Jawas unless I have to, though. They're scavengers, opportunists, not evil," Dalonera replied, checking her weapons.

I like her even more.

"Plan's changed. Grab Ejen NOW! I have to activate the rest of the plan!" Orfax ordered, switching to the wider operations channel. To the rest of the Ghosts, he called, "Run interference - keep those Mandalorians off my back until Durron is dead!"

Don't you dare scratch a hair on Kyp's head....

He was within striking distance, but he wanted Durron to know who was killing him - and why.

Wow. Someone has issues with Kyp.

*sighs* Kyp, how do you always manage to be so *popular*?

Qewpee kept quiet, even as her systems cleared. Somebody had shot her with an ion blaster, and she wasn't happy at all about that.

[face_laugh] I love QP! And reading this scene from her POV was so much fun!

Ejen's eyes were leaking water, and he leaned on her for a second before he tried to smile.

[face_laugh] His eyes are malfunctioning.... I just love the way this ^^ is written.

But it was still Jamor. And Ejen wasn't a scared little kid anymore.

I'm equally proud of how Ejen faces him and sad that the brothers can't get reunited.

He took his helmet off, and Ejen looked at the Mandalorian, who had blond hair slicked back, and cold blue eyes. The man looked like the kind of guy who'd kill someone just because he wanted to - Ejen had seen people like him on Molavar.

:eek: [face_worried] Oh no!
    Good choice giving us the background story to this before this update. Now we can fully appreciate the trouble Ejen is in.... :p

"Dalonera. I'd wanted to draw you out, but this is a little inopportune," Morgax said, putting his helmet back on.

Oh. So for once, not everyone is after *Kyp*.

"The GHOSTS!?" Ejen gasped - how they'd get HERE?!

Seems everyone is here now. Well, the more the merrier!
    Actually, scratch that! Ond'ika, this is total mayhem! :D I love it!

"Now - get ready to DIE."

*snorts* They've never fought Mandalorians before, have they? o_O

Whuathekriff?! Kyp wondered, rolling. Something like a buzzsaw - a metal disc about the size of the average adult human hand, with four blades sticking out of it - flew past his head, and back into the hands of a middle-aged man with a Ghost bodysuit and a brown robe who stood behind Kyp.

Great scene! That disc sounds like trouble!

"You are, by proxy, going to answer for the Jedi Order's crimes against the Zeison Sha."

:eek: (Okay, I have to fully admit here that I had to google the Zeison Sha....)
    But I think it's amazin

16. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Things are entering a busy period at work - I'm trying to stick to weekly updates for this, and hopefully more as things get calmer. :)

And yeah, Zero's the same droid. :D While this is an AU, I wanted to keep what I thought were the best parts of the core timeline. :)

Yeah, their names are a bit close. :oops: Ejen, however, is more worldly-wise than Tiegan, and he's not a bad shot with a blaster - more on that next chapter. :D

As for Yaja'torva's fate, more with her soon. I'm planning one more chapter on Tatooine, then - finally [face_blush] - moving on to Socorro.

Jawas are daring when profit's involved. :p But it might be Tatooine's other native species whom the Mandos and Ghosts need to watch out for ... [face_whistling] ;)

And Kyp's concerns are right on target. We'll see soon whether Ejen can avoid the dark side when confronted with injustice ... and, maybe, some new cast members?! :eek:

(nods) Dalonera definitely has a moral code she sticks to. :)

Orfax probably can't take Kyp in a straight-up fight - he just has a mad-on for Jedi, and Kyp was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Which, tbh, sort of describes a lot of Kyp's misadventures. :p

Thanks. :) I'm finding Qewpee fun to write; she's got this earnestness about her that's endearing, without Artoo's occasional snark. :)

I'm glad this part came across well - Ejen's growing a spine, but he still wants to fix things. As for whether they're never going to patch things up ... *shakes Magic 8-Ball* Can't answer at this time.

(Bows) Thanks again. Morgax is very similar to his ancestor, Pre Vizsla, except that it's unclear whether Pre was Force-sensitive (he held his own against Obi-Wan in Season 3 of TCW, so ... [face_thinking]

And yeah, things are about to get crazy. But Kyp's survived worse ... ;)

Orfax' daughter shares his sense of supremacy ... or maybe that's just arrogance. :p And as you point out, they've been big fish in a little pond on Molavar. The Ghosts may well be out of their league. :eek:

And yeah, the discblade is a nasty weapon. As we'll see, Zeison Sha are reknowned for their durability. [fa

17. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: I'm breaking this into two updates - this first part has an enormous number of cameos, and the Kyp v. Daala showdown is going to need plenty of room. :D

Tahiri's bantha, Bangor, is actually from canon, but his ability to teleport is from an earlier story in this AU ... :D

------------------------------------------------------------------
    28.3 ABY: Edge of the Jundland Wastes, near Mos Eisley, Tatooine,
    Tatoo System, Arkanis Sector, Outer Rim Territories:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tusken Raiders waiting at the edge of the Wastes were getting restless; the fight below was stirring their territoriality, but their leader motioned for a bit more patience.

They would strike ... when everyone finished arriving.

And then, the air rippled with overpressure of displacement as a solid mass appeared seemingly from nowhere, with a unique noise:

BAMF-A!

The leader howled in greeting as his adopted daughter slid down from her very unique bantha, followed by her lifemate, his apprentice, and two strange, near-human warriors. <Child. You've grown. Your friends are taking on more than they can handle, I think,> the Tusken chieftain said, hugging the young blonde woman and nodding at her companions.

<That's our cue, Father. Thank you, all of you, for aiding us,> the blonde said. She smiled mischeviously as she watched her lifemate take a pair of electrobinoculars and look at the fight.

After a moment, he frowned and said, "Kyp. What've you gotten yourself into this time?"

"Yub. Tuskens, Yuuzhan Vong, Jedi, and Ewok to the rescue. What can go wrong?" the apprentice asked, smiling.

<This is Tatooine, furry one. Never doubt that the sands are fickle,> the chieftain advised, while the newcomers climbed back on their bantha.

"Agreed, sir. Better to strike while we can surprise our foes. The rest of our backup are about to approach from orbit," the brown-haired young man said, igniting his purple lightsaber, his smile a faint echo of his father's famous smirk.

<Then heed my daughter's lifemate, Raiders! STRIKE!> the Tusken chieftain ordered, climbing aboard his own bantha.

"SNORT!" the line of banthas collectively sniffed.

And they broke into a run toward the sparring Mandalorians and Ghosts below, as the blonde shouted:

"DO'ROIK VONG PRATTE!!!"

-----------------------------------------------------

The rumble, echoed by the familiar Force-presences, were Kyp's only warning while he and Orfax rushed to reach Ejen and Qewpee.

It can't be - but it IS ... ! Kyp thought, laughing as he Force-leapt the ragged ring of fighters and grabbed Ejen by his collar. With another gesture, Kyp lifted Qewpee telekinetically, then sprung, darting with Ejen through another hole in the fighters and pulling the astromech after them.

"Master, I'm sorry, I just couldn't -" Ejen said, but Kyp didn't yell at him - their backup was about to arrive.

"You were trying to save a friend! It's OK! Now, GET DOWN!" Kyp warned, shoving the boy to the sand beside him and setting Qewpee down beside Ejen.

Then the bantha stampede swept onto the plains, and all Chaos broke loose as Kyp looked up.

A shrieking, dual-wielding blonde bullet leapt off the back of the lead bantha, a yellow lightsaber in one hand and a Yuuzhan Vong coufee in the other. She was followed by a jacket-wearing, brown-haired youth, his purple lightsaber leaving amethyst aftertrails, watching the blonde's back as they weaved a beautiful, semi-lethal dance.

Mandalorians and Ghosts alike started to fall, some screaming, most going down too quickly to cry out. They wouldn't have had a chance to react in any case - they were facing two halves of a whole, a perfectly balanced pair of soulmates.

Tahiri Veila and Anakin Solo had arrived. And they weren't alone.

"YUB YUB!! FOR THE JEDI!" a squeaky voice rang out, and an Ewok in Jedi robes, wielding a green shoto, leapt from the bantha's back.

Ejen looked at Kyp with shock, but Kyp just grinned and said, "Meet Kettch. Never let anyo

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed the J/J cameos ;) and Kyp/Daala showdown :cool: =D=

19. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    And then, the air rippled with overpressure of displacement as a solid mass appeared seemingly from nowhere, with a unique noise:

BAMF-A!

[face_laugh] A teleporting bantha! I have read a lot, but that's a first! Almost as good as the teleporting sofa in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

The leader howled in greeting as his adopted daughter slid down from her very unique bantha, followed by her lifemate, his apprentice, and two strange, near-human warriors.

Yay! Tahiri was reunited with her Tusken family. Makes me happy.

"Yub. Tuskens, Yuuzhan Vong, Jedi, and Ewok to the rescue. What can go wrong?" the apprentice asked, smiling.

[face_laugh] What a great team!

"DO'ROIK VONG PRATTE!!!"

Very nice! Tahiri is still partly Yuuzhan Vong, although that part of her seems to have disappeared in profic. I'm glad you've included it here.

They wouldn't have had a chance to react in any case - they were facing two halves of a whole, a perfectly balanced pair of soulmates.

Greater than the sum of their parts. I just love this scene here! Beautifully written sentence. And it makes me so happy to see Anakin and Tahiri again, both alive and together.

"YUB YUB!! FOR THE JEDI!" a squeaky voice rang out, and an Ewok in Jedi robes, wielding a green shoto, leapt from the bantha's back.

[face_laugh] Kettch?! [face_laugh] That's amazing!
    Thank goodness my tea was still too hot to drink while I was reading this, otherwise it would be all over my screen now.

The furry Padawan was quickly followed by two Yuuzhan Vong, a male warrior and a female Shaper, both in sleek-fitting oozith bodysuits - Kunra, a former Shamed One, and his cross-caste lover, Niirit Esh, leaping off of Tahiri's bantha Bangor.

Nice to see some Yuuzhan Vong make an appearence, and not just as the enemies! =D=

"Yeah? Well, we brought a pocket Star Destroyer and Twin Suns Squadron," Anakin yelled, pointing toward the blaze of the twin suns in Tatooine's sky.

Luke sure knows how to send backup!

Kinda funny: If Kyp can't handle a situation, you will need a Star Destroyer, an ace squadron and several other Jedi to solve it. :p

Morgax whipped off his helmet, revealing a look of complete shock as his flagship started to bear the brunt of an enormous amount of flak.

I don't understand why he took off his helmet. But then again, he's male. They are a mystery at times....

"You know me, Anakin. I'll stick by my friends and my weird sense of honor, even if it gets me in trouble. By the way, thanks. Your timing is astral," Kyp said, unusually sincere as he watched several of the Twin Suns ships land nearby.

Yay! Kyp getting along well with Anakin! Now that's something nice!

The Mando woman just nodded, smiling a little, and Jaina shrugged ... making sure to stick close to Jag when he disembarked from his Chiss clawcraft.

Can't be too careful after that slap....

"Father ... you're Skywalker's eldest daughter, the one from the holos early in the Vong War - Lyska. And this must be your mother, the dreaded 'bodysnatcher' Callista Ming," Orfax mocked, refusing to back down from Callista's grey stare.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! :eek: *faints* Luke has a child with Callista?! Can't say that I'm thrilled. :(
    That reminds of the very weird discussion over at literature if Luke is infertile because he didn't have any children with any of his girlfriends before Mara.

"And even if you had a legitimate claim, letting a kid fall in with a crowd of spice-running criminals would be a massive failure of judgment on our part."

That's true.

D'arsan ... they're Dalonera's cousins, through her Desevran relatives, if I remember correctly.

Yay! More Milthiad descendants!

Kyp facepalmed, hiding a smirk as Valin Horn stepped out of the crowd, flanked by his Jedi Master, a middle-aged Togruta woman with a pair of shotos.

I see you've kept your word about a Horn appear

20. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008

Thanks. :D J/J were together at this point in this timeline, anyway, and I wanted to be sure that was reflected.

And Kyp and Daala will be meeting next chapter ... with a few more guest-stars. :eek:

Glad you liked this version of Bangor. :D He got his powers in a previous piece, set during the Vong War itself, that dealt with the aftermath of this timeline's Myrkr - and how Anakin survived it. :D

(bows) It was hard enough for poor Tahiri when she lost Anakin, but her characterization in canon post-TUF has just been ... well, I disagree with it, let's say. ;) You're absolutely right that so many parts of herself have been lost or ignored, and her turn as a Sith ... :oops:

The cameos here are direct nods to The Suppression Crusades, which I REALLY need to update. [face_blush] Shores was meant to be the companion piece to Crusades, but I've been updating Shores more frequently.

Greater than the sum of their parts. I just love this scene here! Beautifully written sentence. And it makes me so happy to see Anakin and Tahiri again, both alive and together.

Thanks again. :D I'm a fan of A/T as well, and one of the most enjoyable parts of SW 'fic for me has been exploring what might've happened if they'd both survived the Vong War. :D "Greater than the sum of their parts," indeed. [face_mischief]

[face_laugh] Kettch?! [face_laugh] That's amazing!
    Thank goodness my tea was still too hot to drink while I was reading this, otherwise it would be all over my screen now.

I never liked the claims that Ewoks were unable to be Jedi, when there's plenty of canonical evidence for Ewok Force-adepts. :D And Kettch is the son of an acquaintance of the Wraiths, in this timeline.

(nods) Kunra is a canon character, while Niirit - while also canon - is a little different here than her appearances in Force Heretic. There's a couple pieces I have floating around these boards that deal with how A/T befriended these Vong.

And good observation about the backup. I like to think it's a nod of respect from Luke to Kyp about the magnitude of who he asked to pitch in. [face_laugh]

Morgax is incredibly arrogant, even for a Vizsla, so when someone steps on his fun, he tends to overreact. :p

Canon-wise, I think Kyp thought highly of Anakin, since Anakin was the Solo kid who was willing to fight; there's mentions in Dark Journey that Kyp regretted Anakin's death, and that Kyp saw Jacen as a "spoiled Jedi prince."

Lyska plays a much bigger role down the timeline - some time soon, I'm going to write a 'fic in this timeline that explains just what happened when. Th

21. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: And - at last - the wrap-up to Kyp's Arkanis Sector misadventures ... :p

--------------------------------------------------------------
    28.3 ABY: Atin, registered to Dalonera Milthiad,
    Mos Eisley Spaceport, Tatooine, Tatoo System, Arkanis Sector,
    Outer Rim Territories:
    --------------------------------------------------------------

In her comparatively short life, Val'shira had - generally - tried to stay out of trouble. It wasn't easy, given that she was a Rutian Twi'lek female - blue-skinned, one of the rarest colors of the species, and born on Nar Shaddaa to boot.

I was one of the lucky ones, born to free merchants ... but I was young and wanted more than balancing books and selling tech. So of course, I fell in with the Ghosts, she thought, sipping a juice pack as she rested aboard her new - allies'? acquaintances'? - ship.

Coming of age early in the Vong War, Val'shira had gotten out of Hutt Space while the getting had been good. Molavar hadn't been an ideal place to go to ground, but it'd been quieter than most of the Abrion Sector - and no Vong had ever shown up. A slicer who wasn't picky for whom she worked could make a living on a Rimrock with as many shadowports as Molavar had, skimming off of shadow accounts held by criminals.

It hadn't been cushy, but a Twi'lek didn't stand out on an Abrion world like they might elsewhere in the galaxy, and Val'shira had kept a roof over her head and food on her table. The biggest part of that success had been because Val'shira made a habit of being careful about who she befriended. It'd kept her free from Hutts at first, and later, the Vong. But even her streak of scoundrel's luck had come to an end when she'd run into Orfax Rask.

It wasn't Orfax' mystique with his cloaked "Ghosts," or his Force-powers - although Val'shira was starting to wonder if the spice-runner had had more powers than just his mind-over-matter specialty as a Zeison Sha. Orfax was successful, daring to challenge the Hutts while working within their strictures, and Val'shira had smelled credits wafting off of the human like a particularly alluring cologne.

Stupid girl. I got greedy, and where did it get me? Nearly killed, Val'shira thought angrily, noticing her hands still shaking as she set the juice packet down on the game table. She'd trusted Orfax, respected him ...

And he'd very nearly taken her head off, until his spice-junkie nephew put an end to the big man's arrogance.

Scoundrel's life. I want something safer ... so why the kriff did I agree to help a Jedi and his weird crew? Val'shira asked herself, looking around the hold.

Orfax's nicer nephew - Ejen, Val'shira remembered from the briefings the Ghosts had had during their search for the boy - nodded from where he was cleaning something. The Twi'lek woman smiled politely; she had respect for the kid, standing up to his uncle like he had.

He's a good kid. Deserves that second chance he wants. And the girl - oh, now who does she remind me of? Val'shira thought, hiding a smile at the purple-skinned Twi'lek girl who kept glancing at Ejen. Like the boy, the younger Twi'lek wore plain clothes similar to those of a moisture farmer, with a tunic, loose-fitting pants and boots, and a lightsaber hung on the girl's belt. But the girl was both more and less composed than Ejen, Val'shira thought.

She's trying to be Jedi, but she's still just a kid, crushing so bad that she can't think straight. Good thing our mutual host kept her out of the line of fire here on Tatooine, Val'shira reflected. She smiled friendly enough at the girl, who tried to smile back ... but the girl was suspicious, Val'shira could tell.

Don't blame her. A standard half-hour ago, I was working for the murglak who was trying to kidnap her friend. Here's hoping she keeps those instincts, wherever she's going, she thought, nodding at the younger Twi'lek with respect. The girl smiled a little more, then, and stood from where she'd been cleaning the R2 droid who'd been chir

22. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    The biggest part of that success had been because Val'shira made a habit of being careful about who she befriended.

Smart decision!

She'd trusted Orfax, respected him ...

I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Scoundrel's life. I want something safer ... so why the kriff did I agree to help a Jedi and his weird crew? Val'shira asked herself, looking around the hold.

[face_laugh] Yeah, she's not really safer now.

He's a good kid. Deserves that second chance he wants. And the girl - oh, now who does she remind me of? Val'shira thought, hiding a smile at the purple-skinned Twi'lek girl who kept glancing at Ejen.

[face_thinking] Maybe she knows Yaja or her parents?

Here's hoping she keeps those instincts, wherever she's going, she thought, nodding at the younger Twi'lek with respect.

I like her any how she respects the others.

Yaja'torva got quiet, then, until Durron - wearing shackles on his wrists and ankles - shuffled out of one of the back rooms, smirking. That redheaded human, the Atin's Mando captain named Milthiad, followed ...

*snorts* I figured he'd try that.

Durron looked hurt, but then smirked in a way that made Val'shira stir a bit. Whoa, girl. He's cute, but he's also your boss. Professionalism, remember? Val'shira reminded herself, sparing a glance at Milthiad - who, despite the armor and impressive armaments, wasn't entirely hiding her worry for Durron.

Don't get into a turf war with the lady who's in charge of your ride, Val'shira thought, returning Milthiad's polite nod before looking at Durron and waiting for him to reply.

:D Like this part. Val'shira is smart.

"Should we be keeping an eye out for what this plan involves?" Val'shira asked. "And after we get out of confronting Crazy Imperial Lady - if we do - then what's the next step? I mean, you told me about the mapping, but I get the feeling there's more to this skyhopping expedition of yours than you've let on."

Lol! Kyp can't fool anyone, can he? :p Like how Val'shira sees through it immediately.

"Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila were already borrowing that Remnant Imp-Star - they're supposed to be stepping on the toes of Bothans who are all fired up about the ark'rai against the leftover Vong. Couldn't keep them off schedule for long. And Twin Suns Squadron just hitched a ride out here. From what my cousins told me, Jaina Solo and her pilots are getting called back for a big push to liberate Teyr from that di'kut Kane' Kwaad," Milthiad said, heading toward the cockpit.

Too bad they're gone. But makes sense that they have other duties they can't abandon.

It was strange, this kind of ... casual friendliness with a stranger. But Val'shira had to admit, it felt a little good ... like she'd forgotten it along the way, somewhere. That was both a little troubling to consider, but also a little reassuring, to find she could still enjoy a basic conversation.

Really like the girl talk here. I hope Val'shira will befriend them. She seems very lonely.

I also liked reading this part from Val'shira's POV.

Daala had no issues working with nonhumans, but she had little patience for the prissiness of protocol droids.

[face_laugh] Does anyone get along well with protocol droids?

Daala asked, her instincts prickling - there wasn't a sign of any ysalamiri in the holo, and Durron was no weakling as far as Force-power.

Too bad Daala's smart, too.

Durron at least had the grace to look saddened, but he drew Daala's ire when he replied, "I'll have to live with Carida for the rest of my days, Daala. You don't seem too upset about your own body count - Dantooine, Mon Calamari, Khomm."

He's right.

"I appreciate your looking out for me, Jaran. But I'm asking the crew to put themselves at risk allowing that monster aboard in the first place. After all the soldiers I've lost by asking them to fight the Jedi menace for me ... no. I respect y

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed the scene with Val'shira getting better acquainted with Yaja and Dalonera. :)

But woot! Kyp with Daala and help from Brandl - o_O - cool stuff!

You portrayed Daala's self-righteous strutting perfectly ;) =D=

24. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Chilla: Yeah, Val'shira's not particularly in a safer line of work at this point. :p But at least her employer won't try to kill her. :D

And Kyp is going to have to pay her. Labor negotiations could be ... interesting. :p

Val doesn't actually know the Torva clan; she was seeing her younger, more idealistic self in Yaja in that scene. I was trying to capture Val's cynicism melting a bit. [face_thinking] She isn't however, so jaded that she can't respect others' skills - she saw Dalonera fight, and as a survivor herself, applauds such trends in young people. :)

Poor Kyp. :p He's on a ship full of sentients who can - by and large - see right through him. [face_laugh]

(bows) Thanks. :) I wanted to be sure that before this went any further, I introduced Val thoroughly. There's still more about her to reveal, but on a quest for second chances, it's important to differentiate between all those looking for redemption, IMHO.

[face_laugh] Only astromechs, evidently, and even then, that's prickly. :p

When she's not losing her temper, Daala really can be dangerous. It's just that she tends to destroy her own chances at success ... :oops: Just as Kyp pointed out - she lashed out as often from petty vengeance as from tactical issues.

One of the few redeeming things about Daala is her concern for her soldiers/staff. I really wanted to be sure I captured that - thanks. :)

And yeah, I've seen bits and pieces of that list. [face_laugh] If more villains adhered to it, fiction would be in worse straits than it is ... [face_worried]

(bows) I had to work for some time on how to fit Brandl in here. It's not what I had first planned, but I think it turned out OK - I remember my surprise when The Essential Atlas revealed that Trulalis was so close to Tatooine. :)

Daala v. one of the most infamous and skilled Imperial Inquisitors of the age? Not even a contest. [face_mischief]

Kyp isn't dying for a long, long time, AFAI'm concerned. :D And it'd take more than Daala to do the deed.

As for Liegius, he's still alive. It's just a little hard for him to keep Natasi at home when she gets support from ...

Well, there's a Big Bad, to borrow a Buffy-ism, w

25. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008

28.3 ABY: Socorro System, Kiblini Sector, Outer Rim
    Territories:

"Wow," Ejen said softly, looking up from the holo of the system that the modified gameboard was projecting. "It's ... not much, but there's so much going on."

"That's part of why the Socorro system is such a successful series of shadowports. Middle of nowhere in the Outer Rim, red giant star in its old age, one habitable world that's itself a barren dustball - Socorro - and a barely warmed-over iceberg in an eccentric orbit, called Neftali. But smugglers have made a lot of success on both rocks - adaptation works," Kyp said, not looking up from the datapad he was reading as Dalonera and Norbok handled the approach to Vakeyya, Socorro's capital.

Yaja'torva was trying not to pace and fret, while Qewpee tweedled in a compassionate manner. Kyp didn't fault Yaja'torva for being nervous - her aunt, Ban'torva, was the headmistress of the Socorro Praxeum, and had quite the reputation.

Dual-wielding mistress of the Jar'kai lightsaber form; before the Order, she was an abolitionist raider on Ryloth. Ban'torva became a Jedi Guardian, and she was already a survivalist ... didn't suffer fools gladly, either, according to Kenth's records, Kyp considered, hiding his concern. It didn't help that Yaja'torva hadn't told her aunt she was coming to Socorro.

Still, with Yaja'torva's temperament, I can't see her being a great Consular, not without a LOT of work on her part. A Guardian's more her speed ... I just hope she's not going to be hurt if her aunt's not what she expected, Kyp thought, sensing the Atin start to decelerate more. The kids strapped in, while Qewpee braced herself against a bulkhead, and Kyp reached through the Force to look for Val'shira.

The Rutian Twi'lek walked in from the main corridor, feeling - not exactly nervous, as such, but anticipatory. She found a seat and strapped in, sparing Kyp a smile as she said, "Just hoping I don't run into anyone I know."

"Pretty doubtful, unless the Ghosts were making a spice run. Which, since Socorro's a stop on the Llanic Spice Route anyway, is possible," Kyp allowed. He felt a little guilty when Val'shira winced at the mention of the Ghosts, but she also sat up straight and nodded - clearly, she was determined not to let her past overshadow her second chance.

Two similar flares of frustration came from Kyp's left, and he raised an eyebrow as Ejen and Yaja'torva looked at him. "Master Durron, Val'shira's not a Ghost anymore," Yaja'torva pointed out.

"But I was for a long time, Yaja. It's all right; I can't run and hide every time a mention of my past comes up. I never used spice, or dealt it directly, but I handled number-crunching and tech repairs for the Ghosts, and fixed their protocol and astromech droids. I still helped the Ghosts," Val'shira said, looking away for a moment.

"Well - you're helping us, now. We don't want to be jerks," Ejen said, blushing a little when Yaja'torva smiled at him. Kyp and Val'shira traded a knowing glance, and the Twi'lek female nodded as Kyp thought hard.

I'm the last person to criticize attachments, but I hope Yaja and Ejen are just having a first crush. If the girl really thinks deeply of Ejen, and we leave - and her aunt winds up being as hardcore as Kenth's file suggests ... Yaja could have a hard time of it here, Kyp worried.

Still, she had a year's worth of Jedi training under her belt, and she was determined - and could hold her own in a fight. Those three things could make a world's worth of difference, regardless of how old someone was.

"Coming through the Socorran atmosphere now, folks. Vakeyya's straight ahead - transmitting clearance codes," Dalonera called over the intercom, stirring Kyp from his reverie.

He pressed the reply button and said, "Thanks, Dalonera. I'll send out a call on the encrypted channel, try to get a response from the Praxeum. Maybe we can keep from completely surprising our friends