main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Short Fic: The Padawan and the Peas

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jane Jinn, May 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Some of you may have seen this at the Jedi Temple Library, but those of you that missed it:

"But, master, I hate peas," Obi-Wan moaned, moving the little green legumes around his plate with a reluctant fork.

Qui-Gon, who had finished up his dinner long ago and was still waiting for his apprentice to do the same, sighed in exasperation. "How do you expect to grow up to be a big strong Jedi if you don't eat your peas?"

"Well, master, if that's the secret to growing big, then it's obvious that Master Yoda
    never--"

"Padawan!"

The fork in Obi-Wan's hand jerked spasmodically at the sudden interruption and two
    peas went flying off to land on the floor. Under his master's stern gaze, Obi-Wan leaned down to retrieve them. He knew that if he did not find them soon, they would get mashed and be that much harder to clean up later. He had barely located them, however, when something black and furry moved into his vision, inspected the peas with a quivering nose, and ate them both. The cat then glanced up at him with shiny, pleading eyes.

Clamping down his shields to keep his exuberant mental shout of "I'm saved!" from
    reaching Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan pulled himself back up to a sitting position and glanced
    sneakily at his master, then launched two more peas over the edge of the table. He
    could see the cat moving happily to intercept them, and hastily flicked a few more in her direction.

He was just about to scrape his fork again when Qui-Gon looked at him abruptly, and he froze, using all his Jedi training to keep his guilt from showing.

"Obi-Wan, if you want to have light saber practise this evening, I suggest you get on with it," Qui-Gon said.

"Yes, master," Obi-Wan replied dutifully, thinking of all the wonderful things he could do to peas with his light saber.

The cat was still at his leg, waiting patiently as befitted a Jedi pet, and as soon as his
    master had glanced away again, Obi-Wan sent a little avalanche of peas off the side of
    his plate to land at her feet. Stabbing one pea on his fork, Obi-Wan lifted it to his lips,
    pretended to eat it, then dropped his hand to his side and gave it a little shake. The pea had barely hit the floor before the cat pounced on it.

There were about ten peas left. Obi-Wan moved his fork around them in different
    patterns, shooting them to the cat one at a time. He'd worked his way down to the last one when Qui-Gon suddenly stood up. "Obi-Wan Kenobi, are you throwing those peas on the floor?"

"Master!" was all Obi-Wan could exclaim. "I--uh--you can look! There aren't any peas on the floor!"

Qui-Gon came around the table and glanced down, his face simply radiating suspicion. But Obi-Wan was right, there was not a single green ball on the floor. The cat, however, gave Qui-Gon her best begging look, and after a moment, Obi-Wan saw the mistrust fade from his master's face, to be replaced by sheer fondness as he regarded the animal. Sighing mentally in relief, Obi-Wan slumped back in his chair.

"There's still one left on your plate, Padawan," Qui-Gon observed, sitting down again.
    Obi-Wan moved the pea to the back of his mouth as quickly as he could and swallowed it without chewing or even tasting it. "All done, master! Saber practise time!"

As they stood up, Obi-Wan congratulated himself mentally on his successful strategy
    until Qui-Gon said, "We will have peas again to-morrow, Padawan, and while we eat,
    the cat will stay in the other room."

The End

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I like peas.

3. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Too funny Jane!

Sounds like you know from experience! :)

4. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Me too. But what a great story! I have kids who have taken a dislike to the colour green in food, for years on end. I can so sympathise with Qui-Gon here.

Good story Jane, although I confess I was kind of expecting some terrible pun to finish that story off. It sort of read like a shaggy dog... er... cat tale... :)

That was neat though: I'd love to read more of this sort of thing.:)

*Derisa*

5. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
  6. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
  7. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    HAHAH!! This is great Jane!!!

8. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Hilarious! [face_laugh]

9. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    ROFLOL! Rumbled!!! Green isues are very close to Qui-Gon's heart after all!

10. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Great Jane! Loved the line about Yoda! :D

11. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    LOL! :D Too cute, I loved this. Got anymore?

12. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    That was cute Jane :D :D

After the day I had yesterday I really needed something to put a smile on my face and this did the trick.... so thanks!!!!

13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh Jane! That was hilarious! Very good, I'm going to be grinning all day today while I am doing my assignments!

Kithera

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I have read this somewhere but it's always a gift to see again. Thanks Jane.

15. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    This needs a lift.

This short story is too funny to drop.

16. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    How on Coruscant did this one slip by me?! What a delightful little story! Great work, Jane!

17. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
  18. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    :D :D :D :D :D

I'm glad this got upped because I missed it the first time too! That was funny and sweet, Jane. So Qui-Gon knew what Obi was doing all the time, hmm? ;)

Reminds me of the time I wouldn't eat my peas when I was little- and was given the same peas, cold, for every meal until I /did/ eat them. Peas on toast for breakfast, anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.