main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Short Stories (JA) *updated 08/06/02*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Firedrake88, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firedrake88

Firedrake88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi! I just wanted to say thanks for the FB and I'm glad you liked the story. :)

2. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Okay, so there I was, working on one of my longer stories, called "My Place Is At Your Side", when a pesky little troop of plot bunnies attacked me, tied me up, and forced me to write this! Man, at this rate I'll never finish my other stories!!

Title: The Most Important Thing
    Rating: PG
    Summary: When Obi-Wan falls ill during critical negotiations, he attempts to keep his condition a secret from Qui-Gon so as not to distract him.
    Time Frame: Obi-Wan is 15
    Spoilers: Um...I don't think so...
    Category: That's a good question! I guess I'd have to say h/c, angst, and non-slash
    Note: I refer to this a couple of times in a story I'm working on now (My Place Is At Your Side), and although there are many times when I mention something that never actually happens in one of my fics, I got inspired to write this, so here it is. =)

Things enclosed in < >'s are <telepathic> communication through the Master/Padawan bond.

The Most Important Thing

Qui-Gon:

Wearily, I let myself slump down onto the comfortably cushioned couch that sat in the middle of the luxurious quarters my Padawan and I had been assigned for the duration of our stay. I wanted nothing more than to sink into a blissful sleep but I knew that something far greater than my physical fatigue would keep me awake long into the hours of the night. My temples ached persistently and my eyes stung from the forced strain of keeping them open, but it was my worry that wouldn't let me sleep.

This session of negotiations between the two warring tribes of Prescots had lasted fourteen hours and the disgruntled leaders were still no closer to coming to any sort of agreement. If anything, things were looking worse than ever. I had tried by best to draft a treaty that would satisfy both sides, but the datapad had been brushed aside in favor of useless arguments. Finally, when it became overly apparent that all the people present, save myself, were more interested in starting a brawl than anything else, I had called a one day recess to consider my options.

Prescot Prime was home to two distinct tribes of people with very different beliefs. What had started two years earlier as a minor disagreement over whose property a certain piece of land was had escalated into something very serious indeed. One of leaders, Marso, had kidnapped the daughter of the other leader, Kerson, hoping to force the latter into handing over possession of an island with incredible amounts of natural resources. Now the situation was very fragile. It was possible that at any moment Kerson might order his troops to attack Marso's compound and rescue his daughter. If that happened, a war would certainly result.

It was my duty to prevent any such thing from occurring, but if I couldn't even get Marso and Kerson in the same room without them getting into an argument, I would surely fail. And up until this point, all they had done was throw insults back and forth. If I wasn't careful, hundreds of thousands of people could die and I would have to live the rest of my life wondering if I could have done something different and stopped it. Right now, I was at a loss as to how to proceed.

Sighing, I rose to my feet and headed towards the bedrooms. I would accomplish nothing if I was too exhausted to think straight - which I seriously believed was the case. Before going to bed I would meditate on calming my mind. Even if I only got a few hours of sleep, it would be worth it. Then, the following morning I would consider my options.

Pausing as I passed my Padawan's room, I lingered momentarily by the doorway to observe him sleeping. His room was completely dark except for one streak of moonlight that fell through the window to gently illuminate his face. Recently, as we traveled from chaos filled planet to chaos filled planet, his features had been marred by worries no one his age should have to bear. Now, in sleep, he looked like the y

3. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    *KG is reduced to a happy pile of goo*

Mush! I'm glad you're back, Firedrake! I've definitely missed your nice short stories. And longer ones coming? Cool!

Looking forward to more!

KenobisGirl :p

4. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Another wonderful shortie Firedrake88

You portrayal of emotions makes me envious :) You write both Qui and Obi so well. Can't wait for more from you.

As for the changes--Did you go back to your first post for that thread to edit? To change the subject line as it appears on the boards you have to go to that first post. Good Luck.

5. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Lovely, Firedrake. You always do such good angish and mush. :D I look forward to all your stories. Glad you're back and hope to see more.

~Swede :p

6. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Can't help you with your question but I can tell you I enjoyed your story.

I had been feeling that something was missing on this board and now I know what,One of your stories.I hung to every word, anxious just to get to the next sentence.

Thanx for posting.Only problem is it puts mine to shame but I sooo dooo love reading them!!!!

PEACE Ewen

7. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi!!! :) Thanks for the FB!!

KenobisGirl: It's good to 'see' you again too, KenobisGirl! I'm glad you liked my mush! No mater how much of that I read/write, I'll never get tired of reading/writing more! And yeah, I hope to have the longer stories done by the end of the summer. :)
    Shanobi: Thanks! I like writing emotions above everything else (my favorites would be angst and then, of course, the resulting comfort...but you probably already figured that out from my stories) so I'm very happy that you enjoy that, and my portrayal of Qui and Obi, whom I love! And THANKS for telling me how to change the subject! I did it and I'm pretty sure it worked! :D
    Swede: Hi! It's good to 'see' you again too! I'm glad that you continue to like my angst and mush! Thanks for reading!
    Ewen: *blush* Thanks for the kind words! And, *sigh*, don't say that it puts yours "to shame"... Trust me, when I first started writing, my stuff was T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E , it really was. However, it got better the more I wrote, and so will yours. And your stuff is good too! :)

Edited to say: I checked and saw that the subject really did change, like I thought it did, so thanks Shanobi!!

8. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Y'welcome :D

9. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    I did it!!!!!!!!!! I finished "My Place is at Your Side"!!! (One of the longer stories I've been slaving away over!) And, to celebrate, I wrote this short fic! I hope you like it!

Title: Would You Like to Buy a Flower?
    Rating: PG
    Summary: Obi-Wan discovers that even the smallest act of kindness can spread a little joy.
    Time Frame: Obi is 16
    Spoilers: None
    Note: This was inspired by a part in "A Little Princess".
    Dedicated To: LunarBlade! You're the best!

Would You Like to Buy a Flower?

Obi-Wan:

"Would you like to buy a flower?" I brushed past the woman without looking at her, and hurried to catch up with Qui-Gon, who was already disappearing into the crowded street ahead of me.

My Master was a tall and, when he wanted to be, imposing man. Usually, he was very easy to spot in a horde of people because even amongst a storm of mayhem, he was a sea of tranquility. With his calm elegance and composure, he had a way of parting crowds and quickly slipping through a teeming mass of impatient beings.

It was a skill I had yet to master, so I usually made sure to keep myself no more than a pace behind him. That way I could easily follow the unobstructed trail he created. Unfortunately, I was tired from the long transport trip, and I had quickly fallen behind him. At first it had been no more than five feet, but after stumbling over the uneven cobblestone street and getting jostled numerous times by thoroughly disagreeable people, I had begun to lag further behind. Now I had to struggle just to keep him in sight.

Perhaps if I had been paying closer attention, I would have sensed the child coming, but with so many people rushing about their business, the Force seemed to be a jumbled swarm of tangled emotions, and I was too weary to try and keep it all straight. That's why, when the little boy appeared, running right towards me, I had no time to step out of the way.

He was a small boy, probably no older than seven, but he was going fast enough so that when he came barreling into me, I was sent falling back onto the hard, wet stones of the street. The impact was not very painful, but the boy's head had slammed directly into my stomach and had quite efficiently knocked the wind out of me. By the time I had gasped a few mouthfuls of breath back into my lungs, he had already scrambled to his feet and run off again without offering so much as a single word of apology. Scampering off to wreak havoc on other innocent bystanders, he left me to be trampled by the merciless crowd of ongoing men, women, and a few members of different species that appeared to be neither.

Everyone was either in too much of a hurry to notice me, or saw me and didn't care if they stepped on my robes, or even fingers, because in the ten seconds it took me to climb back up onto my feet, at least five people had tried to use me as another link of the cobblestone street.

Brushing the dirt and mud off of my chilled robes, I craned my neck and tried to look as far into the crowd ahead of me as I could There were people everywhere. Rushing in and out of stores, they came and went, lugging bags of groceries and the Force knew what else behind them. Swarms of them filled every available space on the street, and in only five seconds I spotted people from at least eight different species. Qui-Gon, however, was nowhere to be seen.

Seeking refuge from the swarm, I pushed my way through it until I found a small gap between the buildings of two stores. There wasn't much room - perhaps a little over a foot - but it was just enough for me to squeeze in and gain a few moments of peace to think about how in the world I had ended up here, and what I should do next.

Just the night before, Qui-Gon and I had come trudging back into the Temple, thoroughly exhausted from seven months of endless, tedious missions. I had never been so relieved to be back in my own room, but as soon as I had let mys

10. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Great Story!! I needed a "feel good" story and that hit the spot! :)

11. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Thanks! I needed to write a "feel good" story too! LoL! I'm glad this one worked for you!

12. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    This is such a beautiful story! I think I got about 7 or 8 copies of it in my mailbox, LOL, but I just wanted to say again how much I love this.

Here's an UP for anyone who hasn't read it.

:)

13. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Cascadia Hi! Thanks for the extra FB! LoL - I guess we're on a lot of the same lists (not to mention the fact that it showed up twice on some of them). Sorry about that!

14. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Two wonderful stories there Firedrake and enjoyable as always :) Post some more soon please!

15. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Yikes! It sure took me a long time to say this, but thanks for the FB Ginger_Jedi!

16. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi! For whoever actually checks this, I wanted to let you know that I've posted a new story. It's called "Time's Arrow".

Time's Arrow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.