main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Short story of the week (3/22-29/00)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Lost in Coruscant, Mar 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    Once upon a time...
    In a galaxy far, far away...

There lived a man named Wes. Wes thought himself very, very smart. But his friends thought he was...not stupid, but 'special'.

Wes was a very good pilot. All his friends were pilots too, and since none of them were dead, they were good.

One day, Wes decided to take his ship out for a spin. His superior, Wedge, didn't want him to.

He said, "Wes, there are bad guys out there. You could get shot."

But Wes wouldn't listen. "Wedge, I'm a good pilot. I'll just zig when they zag, and they'll never get me."

Wedge shrugged, and told him that he couldn't fly anyway, because his ship was New Republic property, and Wedge was in charge.

Shrugging, Wes went to the galley to get some food. Runt was there, painting the floor with some R2 droids.

"Hello, Lieutenant. Can we help you?"

"No, Runt, I'm just gonna get myself something to eat." Wes turned towards the door to the kitchen, and almost stepped into a bucket of paint!

"Sithspit! Runt, what are you doing?!?"

"We are painting with droids. Would you like to help us?"

"No. We would like to get some food, since we cannot fly today."

Runt stared at him for a moment. "Are you a Thakwaash, Lietenant, or do you mean to be sarcastic?"

"I'm sarcastic, Runt." Wes sighed, and grabbed a bucket of paint. "I guess I'll join you."

They painted for an hour, then Runt left to get cleaned up. Wes remembered what Wedge said about Runt...something about him being insane, and decided to get changed as well.

When he returned, he found out that Runt had set up a beautiful dance for them! Hours later, he returned to his room, and colapsed onto his bed.

And he dreamed...

He dreamed about Wedge. He imagined what the unit would be like if he were in charge, instead of Wedge. He decided that he would be able to fly anytime he wanted, and would never paint the floor to the kitchen.

In his dream, Wedge came up to him, and asked if he could have a piece of Corellian rice cake.

Wes said no, and ordered him to eat his boots. Wedge complied, happy that Wes had given him the order.

Wes smiled. It was a lovely dream...

A loud beeping noise woke him up. "Wes! get up! someone raided the kitchen last night, and I need you to find out who did it while I write the reports!"

"Yessir, I'm on my way sir." Wes stood up, and got dressed. He did not envy Wedge filling out reports. Maybe it wasn't so bad to be second in command after all.

2. Lost in Coruscant

Mar 31, 1999
    Would you like to do the short story of the week?
    If yes, please email me at mailto:chocake@mailcity.com">chocake@mailcity.com

I'd like this to be organized, and not have authors vying with each other on who gets to do it.

Necessary requirements to the story:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>The short story of the week must be under 2,500 words.

Story background (ie, planet, time in the SW universe) must not be completely foreign to the books (meaning, you cannot create a new planet, or delve into what goes on 2000 years from ANH).

You may put people from this forum into your story. With their permission, please.

Story must be done by one person. Not two. One.

The author cannot have posted his/her story previously at this board, or any other. It must be original.

Author must have emailed Lost in Coruscant informing me that they would like to do it.</UL>

I'd like to keep this organized, so there can be a story every week. If enough people don't sign up, I'll change it to one story every 2 weeks.

People who sign up for this may create their own characters, and can say that noone else can use them. If you wish, you can allow people to do that, and have a bi-weekly serial, revolving around your own characters.

[This message has been edited by Lost in Coruscant (edited 03-27-2000).]

3. Lost in Coruscant

Mar 31, 1999

Oh, darn.

It doesn't have to be like my story! I mean, short and stupid is fine (Like mine), but longish and creepy is good too!

4. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    I'm interested. Now I just have to think up something that fits the requirements you've outlined.

Igraine

5. Lost in Coruscant

Mar 31, 1999
    I've revised the story requirements to under 2500 words.

I only have one other person lined up to do this. Right now it looks like it'll become bi-weekly.

6. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I've revised the story requirements to under 2500 words.

That'll make it lots easier... (time for set up!)

7. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    What do we have here? Shameless self promotion of course!!! I've updated my shoe review with a new review, Clay's New World Order!!! For those of you who are scratching your heads and thinking "What's a shoe reveiw?" it's a site that reviews Star Wars fan films. I'll be doing a review on everything I can get my hands on. 3 down, 250+ more moview to go!!!
    http://www.crosswinds.net/~theshoereviewwww.crosswinds.net/~theshoereview

SZ

8. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    you guys got to read this- it's great

9. GilesP

GilesP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zayn:
    you guys got to read this- it's great

Jennifer mentioned would be you, hmmmmmmmm?

-Brian "Fuzzy Green Guy" Gefrich
    Producer
    Jedi Legends

P.S. Great review. That's the funniest thing I've ever seen come off the bottom of a shoe. Well...except that one time, that thing with Richard Nixon...oh, nevermind...

10. Ejan Jerthrid

Ejan Jerthrid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 1999
    Actually Giles, Zayn is a different Jennifer than the Jennifer in The New World.

And yes, it was a very favorable review (I'm surprised you didn't pick on the dialogue, SZ...)

11. Subject Zero

Mar 13, 2000
    The dialogue wasn't that bad actually. It's original and not some rehashed line from the movies. Besides, I was screaming "GET TO THE FIGHT!" too loud to hear what you guys were saying!

LOL

j/k

SZ

12. Xander28

Xander28 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2000
    "The new shoe reviieeeeew....coming right at you!"

Ok not original.
    My first trip to the site was enjoyable! Cant wait for more reviews!

Patrick

13. Zayn

Aug 1, 1999
    yeah Im the jen from SotS (which you will know about in like 1001 years...)

14. Subject Zero

Mar 13, 2000
    Slowly but surely, my little fan base begins to grow!

:p

Next up on the review will be Kevin Villars' Jedi Jr. trilogy! I'll keep you notified.

The site may go under an incredibly small change, nothing to big though.

SZ

15. Zayn

Aug 1, 1999
    yeah sz groupies untie!

16. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    I said it once.....

That is sooo cool!

17. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Believe it or not, this is under 2500 words (2027, to be exact). Hey, for me, that's short...

-----
    Extreme Action
    a (for once) short story by JediGaladriel

The Empire regrets that it was forced to take extreme action against the rebellious world of Alderaan.

The words, broken and static-filled, coming across the holonet in Governer Tarkin's clipped, arrogant voice. He'd been gone for three years now -- only a matter of days after making that announcement -- but still, Ivva Japui heard those words, playing in the back of her mind in a constant feedback loop.

The Empire regrets...

She'd been on Chandrilla at the time, at boarding school. Celebrating a successful mathematics exam. And then, the news, the holos, her whole family at home. There was no question of anyone being "all right." They'd all been working extra hours to put her through school, and no one was traveling off-world.

...forced to take extreme action...

She'd returned to her dormitory, curled into a ball at the corner of her bed, and stayed there, almost non-stop, for five days and six nights. The counsellors had eventually talked her out of the room, gotten her eating again, and, finally, put her back into classes. Friends had unobtrusively begun inviting her home with them on holidays. She did not feel that her life had been miraculously restored to her, or that she'd "adjusted," as the counselors put it, but she had achieved some new kind of normalcy. She planned to join the Rebellion, but they didn't exactly have recruiting booths at the career fairs, and the strained shape of her life made her too tired to track them down.

Later. She would join them later.

The Empire regrets...

"Hey!" A hand waved in front of her face, and her friend Faidrah Kei slumped down into the chair across from her. They were on holiday, at Fai's house in Cloud City on Bespin. Her parents owned an interest in a gas mine ("Just, for heaven's sake, don't mention the Mining Guild," Fai had warned her, with an exaggerated roll of her eyes), and they lived very comfortably in the upper echelons of the outpost. Ivva felt positively spoiled here. "You're zoning out again, Iv."

Ivva reached into the top level of comfortable lies -- Faidrah wasn't a close friend, so she didn't get the truly convoluted stories -- and said, "Just worrying about my paper for Mid-Rim Lit."

"I had that last year. Talk about an identity crisis and the deep symbolism of the river. You'll ace it easy. Now, you're on holiday. And we're going out for rishasa.."

"Rishasa?"

"It's a specialty here. Rice from Chandrilla -- "

"We just left Chandrilla!"

" -- stewed in Corellian tiri-spice, samli milk, and -- this is the best part -- Anoat jevrish leaves."

"In other words, the galaxy in a bowl."

Faidrah smiled pleasantly. "Welcome to Cloud City, where everything shows up eventually."

Ivva allowed herself to be led out of the house, into the sumptuous corridors of the city. Beyond the transparisteel windows, she could see the sunlight playing gracefully over the clouds. It was as alien a sight as she could imagine, and she knew that it was objectively beautiful, but when she thought of beauty, all she could see was the outline of the hills behind her parents' house, reflecting pure and clean in the waters of Lake Melara.

forced to take extreme action...

Fai stopped suddenly at the mouth of a corridor, and looked over her shoulder with a grin. She wiggled her eyebrows. "Baron Calrissian is out there," she said, pretending to fan herself with her hand. "Mmm... Prettiest sight in this outpost, if I do say so myself."

As she had said so herself, many times, Ivva was a bit curious. She leaned to one side, and looked around her friend.

The Baron was walking in the midst of a group, at the far end of the corridor, coming from the landing docks. Ivva had to admit, he cut a fine figure his extravagantly made cloaks and shimmering shirt. His face was aristocratic, but a bit --

Her heart stopped.

Calrissian was walking beside another man -- Ivva supposed he was handsome, too,

18. Lost in Coruscant

Mar 31, 1999
    Yes.
    As long as it originally posted here, for the first time, then you can do whatever you want with it!!!!!!!

That was so cool JG!!!!

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Great stories, LiC and JG!

Cool idea too, LiC. I'll see what I can come up with.

20. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Come on... did we run out of weeks so fast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.