main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shot of Gungans in the mist and Kurosawa reference?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by ikelleigh, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikelleigh

ikelleigh Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 1999
    I remember years ago, when the Episode 1 trailer came out that someone found a great shot from a Kurosawa film that Lucas obviously borrowed from in creating the Gungans in the mist shot. It was posted here on this site way back... and was wondering if anyone can remember what Kurosawa film that was from?

Thanks for any info.

2. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    Ran.

(it means 'chaos' in Japanese)

It's definately an homage.

3. DarthDork

DarthDork Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    It is an homage to Kurosawa. Kurosawa liked the idea of samurai riding into and out of the fog. Although, if I remember, there is not a scene like that in Ran. Of the Kurosawa films that I have seen, I suppose it most resembles some shots from Throne of Blood.

4. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    It's also a lot like the throne of Blood shot where the enemy is disguised as trees, which ofcouse the main character thinks is a product of his madness.

5. ikelleigh

ikelleigh Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 1999
    Yep, it is Throne of Blood. I did a search for Throne of Blood on the main TFN site and found the exact page I was looking for:

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/under_the_influence_81215.asp

Unfortunately the images are no longer available. Ah well, I was just more curious what movie it was. Probably the only Kurosawa film I haven't seen yet.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.