main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should all the episodes in Season 6 be apart of an arc?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How do you want Season 6 to be? Like Season 5, with all episodes being apart of an arc.

Or...

Like the first four seasons where some episodes are standalones and others are arcs.

I prefer the later.

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Seeing the same plotline would be pretty boring.

Plus, how are they going to start a Thyrsus story arc when the writers are all focusing on only one arc?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If there are going to be any arcs, they should be two-parters, three at the most. And some episodes should just be standalones.

Inblackestnight and Team Padme like this.
  4. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    The only arc this season that needed 4 episodes was the Darth Maul arc(and that one should have had 1-2 more episodes), all the other arcs were over long in comparison to the stories they were telling. In s6 I hope they reserve the four parters for stories that need them, this season they seemed to do it just because they could.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait so you're saying keep the episodes apart with arcs? :p

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hmmm... I'm tired of back to back four part arcs. Those should be once or twice a season, anytime there is enough material for them. Really if there is enough material I could get behind 5 and 6 part arcs. I think the Maul arc could have had two additional parts. Seasons should have a mix of arcs and stand alone episodes to keep things moving. Season 5 has felt so short and we have only covered a few stories compared to the past. It would be a good idea to do some arcs the way "Massacre", "Bounty", "Borthers", and "Revenge" which almost don't seem like a four part arc. Really I could get behind whole season arcs where everything is connected together while the stories play out.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Some standalone episodes would be good

8. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The 3-part arcs seem to be more concise and stream-lined than the 4-parters. That being said, the Maul arc was pure genius, but it was not 4 parts back-to-back. Maybe they could interweave arcs. There have been great stand-alone episodes as well.

9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Honestly, they COULD go serialised and make a 20/22-episode storyline that takes a core group of characters across planets. But they won't. :(

10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I like Season 5 (well, most of it, anyhow...), and for Season 6 we won't see a long arc because of three things we are pretty sure are coming up, but I would love if they continue their trend of tying things together and introducing new plotlines out of those ties like they have done this season.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I like seeing stand alone episode, some of the stand alone ones are actually the best of the series like Lair of Grievous. But I would also like to see some arcs, but not as many as season five.

12. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    A large number of standalones, two three parters, and perhaps one four parter is my preference.

Trilogies still seem like the golden number for Star Wars, though I have liked past arcs with the 4-ep format. Mainly I want to see more standalones that can deal with certain concepts or characters in an interesting and brisk manner. You could say I'm nostalgic for the days of Season 1 where nearly every week felt like a new adventure and the three part arcs were always something with an epic underlying conflict or plot element.

I feel like Season 2 had the right balance, actually, between standalones and large arcs. Use that model and I'll be very happy.

13. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Season 1: 1, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 1
    Season 2: 3, 5, 2, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3
    Season 3: 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2
    Season 4: 3, 1, 2, 4, 3, 4, 4
    Season 5: 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

I believe that's correct...

Zabrak 2, CaptainRex115 and Seerow like this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    You can also look at that as S5 had 6 stories while S2 and S3 had 10 stories to tell

15. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Of course we should be getting a mix of 1,2,3 and 4 or more part arcs in this series. I mean look at this season, we got cheated out of two clone wars episodes because of the stupid 4 part arcs.

Im sorry but they're is no way Onderon, Younglings, and Droids arcs deserve four episodes. That's so insane. Here's how the season should have been.

1. Front Runners
    2. The Soft War
    3. Tipping Points
    4. The Gathering
    5. A Necessary Bond
    6. Pre Revival Maul/Savage episode
    7. Pre Revival Maul/Savage episode 2
    8. Revival
    9. Clovis episode
    10. Eminense
    11. Shades of Reason
    12. Shades of Reason pt 2
    13. Lawless

Changes:

Onderon Arc - Merge Front Runners and A War on Two Fronts

Youngling Arc - Could have been done in two episodes. 1 Episode about getting the crystals and Ahsoka getting captured. Second episode about freeing Ahsoka and battling the droids

Droid Arc - Delete. Completely useless and wasn't good. They could have made a Gregor/Republic commando episode and put that in somewhere.

Maul/Savage/Mando Arc - This is where the fun begins. Add in two episodes about Maul and Savage's journey in between Revenge and Revival. Show them battling Jedi, possibly a crimelord or two. Just Brothers doing cool stuff. Then do the rest of this Arc the same until Shades of Reason. That should be split. One episode about Death Watch taking over Mandalore and the second episode about a power struggle between Vizsla and Maul.

Thats my perfect plan. That still leaves Eleven empty slots for more episodes. Maybe a Mace Windu episode or a Boba Fett episode. Possibly some General Grievious episodes. Or anything. Anyways, Back to the original point. Yes there should be shorter/more arcs in a season. Being completely honest... Not much has happened during this season compared to stuff that has happened in other seasons. The droid ard was the biggest waste in history.

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Season 5 was more: 1, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4...

But the point still stands. ;)

Seerow likes this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Still 6 stories.

18. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yep. The key to making successful 4-parters, I feel, is to make the audience really feel they've been on a journey. That they're in a very different place now than they were after the first episode. And I think to maintain that feeling, you need standalones in between to keep that feeling going.

Season 4's set-up is perfect. A standalone, a duology, two trilogies and three 4-parters. Mixing up the scale of the stories keeps the series feeling fresh.

Seerow and QuangoFett like this.
  19. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Season 5 lacked since it overused the 4-part story concept (heck, there's only been 4-part episodes). The episode layout should be more like in the earlier seasons; in other words, have more variation. Not only should there be more standalone episodes, but more 2-parters as well; some of the best stories on the show has been two-parters (Saleucami, Zillo Beast and the S3 finale).

20. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Well done, though you forgot "A friend in need" in s4

21. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    More arcs, please.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Arcs are good, as long as the stories within them sustain the arcs. Sadly, that is not always true.

23. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I think the best balance of standalones vs. arcs was achieved in season 3. Sure, the first half was pretty shaky but they were short, self-contained stories that didn't drag on for weeks so I could forget them and move-on. The way they're airing arcs now it's pretty impossible to forget how crappy an episode was when the continuation of it is going to air for the better part of the coming month.

(...I still wonder to this day what genius writer thought WAC and frogger deserved four episodes. :oops: )

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Interesting topic I can see merits on both sides of, but ultimately I care far more about the quality of each individual episode than how/whether they structure arcs. They could my least favorite thing with the arc structures and if the episodes are all good, it will be better than if they did my ideal arc structure scenario with inferior episodes.

Seerow likes this.
  25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I agree with an emphasis on individual stories. With most of the arcs except for Umbara, Rako Hardeen, and Maul. I tend to pick my favorite episodes out of them and watch them only. With those three I like to watch straight through. The three exception have in common that they are strongly character driven by good engaging characters and have a balance between humor, badass action, and pulling on my feels. They also break the mold the farthest from being the standard formula TCW followed in its earliest seasons that make it so easy to pick episodes from an arc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.