main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should any genre be off-limits?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Loupgarou, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    SW Anthology can make an erotic thriller and then play it non-stop on Cinemax.

cwustudent and MrMojoRisin like this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sy Snootles doing her best Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct.

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Or "Dexter Does Dantoone."

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Like Jonipoon mentioned a while ago, I wouldn't mind seeing a film centering on some sort of racing. Either podracing, perhaps spanning several planets and focusing on one character, or some sort of space racing, similar to what Han was presumably doing during some of the time leading up to TFA.

5. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    How about a space race film that combines the qualities of The Great Race, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, The Great Race, Cannonball Run, and Wacky Races? Competitors are required to travel a certain route, stopping at certain planets along the way to pass through checkpoints to prove they're not illegally jumping ahead or taking shortcuts. There could be all sorts of hijinx along the way, especially when competitors are on the same planet at the same time...... scenes at diners and cantinas while ships are getting refueled and maintained or repaired.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The only thing that should be off limits is boring film.

Nibelung likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

That's a decent description of a tabletop RPG I ran years ago. As soon as I find it, I'll post a link to a website where I was posting game notes.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gigoran Monk and Siphonophore like this.
  9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Sarge, that is pretty much how a Star Wars space race should be. Nicely done. Sounds like it was a lot of fun to play. It could be a film, but it could certainly also be a great live action Star Wars TV series. I nominate you to be the race architect in the story group, if Lucasfilm pursues such a project.

Gigoran Monk and Sarge like this.
  10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Adult, comedy and musical. Star Wars has pretty much crossed into every other genre already.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You didn't see the Rebels episode Double Agent Droid, did you?

12. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've only seen one episode of Rebels.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well if you ever plan on watching another one make sure it isn't that one. You'll never be able to sleep again. It's that terrifying!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    I don't think there should ever be a slow, cerebral art film in the Star Wars franchise.

I'm talking about movies like Baraka, Enemy, Under the Skin, Upstream Color, Melancholia, most of Terrence Malick's filmography, etc. I love films like those, but I just can't see them fitting into the Star Wars aesthetic.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

I think a Malick-esque Star Wars film would be visually glorious. Quite possibly the most amazing work of art produced in fantasy and sci-fi cinema.

But such a thing will never be made because films like that make very little money, and Star Wars costs a lot of money to make.

Artoo-Dion and GregMcP like this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    An entirely visual and musical Baraka, Koyaanisqatsi, Samsara movie... Just images of the Star Wars Universe to a powerful soundtrack. Phillip Glass? Two hours of Gareth Evans filming scenes without bothering with a plot. Just showing you the Galaxy in all its glory.

An extended Rogue One BTS trailer essentially.
    Ahh. Yes. I'd love it.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

I'd have the thing constantly playing in the background for the rest of my life.

18. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017

Oh man, I'd love an Under The Skin-type of Star Wars film. Just as an aesthetic pleasure of simple, unspoken narrative, it would be magnificent.

Upstream Color, that's another step or three into the mists. I enjoyed that film quite a bit, but it's far too esoteric almost even for its own good, so yeah, I don't think that Star Wars should go there (and can't imagine that anyone would want to, really).

19. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Wow really? A Jawa or Ewok animated movie would do really well with the children. If Disney did an animated Jawa movie between the PT-OT I would take my kids to see it. Personal I'm a war and gangster movie fan. I want to see a Clone Wars movie really bad. I don't know who they could cast as the Clones though. No one from the PT films, Go with a new actor. Make the battle droids be menacing. They don't have to be like Roger Roger B1 droids. I want that Hamburger Hill, Saving Private Ryan, Fulmeta Jacket type of feel in the Star Wars universe. Another genre would the mob, gangster, cops and robbers. The Hutts, Black Sun, The Pikes, bounty hunters, smugglers and pirates side of Star Wars. No Jedis at all. I'm thinking about scenes from Jabbas Palace, the Pod Race industry, the Cantina, Dex Diner, the nightclub Zam was chased into. Characters like Zam, Jango, Bib Fortuna, Aurra Sing, The Hutts, Watto, Sebulba, Elan Sel Sabagno and Dexx could feature in a great gangster movie.

cwustudent and B3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.