Should AOTC AHve Gotten A PG-13 Rating?

Discussion in 'Cleveland, OH' started by JediKnightPasJoDacle, May 22, 2002.

?

Should AOTC AHve Gotten A PG-13 Rating?

Poll closed May 30, 2002.
Yes 3 vote(s) 33.3%
No 6 vote(s) 66.7%
No, It Should Have Been G Rated 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
  2. DarthZome Jedi Master

star 4
    It would have if I directed it. I would have put a lot more of Jules into Mace Windu.

"This party's over, b****"
  3. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, 90% of the audience for this movie is teens and adults; I've seen it twice and can only recall one child at the theaters. George's strange refusal to make a movie geared towards the majority of his audience baffles me.
  4. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    Why should it have. It's not like there was anything worth 13 in it.
  5. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, here's what I meant. Clones, as it is, should be PG. However since the overwhelming majority of the audience is teen or adult I think Lucas should have increased the violence and sexuality to PG-13 levels. It would have been a better movie. Look at the complaints, "not enough romance," "the fights are too short."
  6. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    The movie as it stands should be PG, that is true. I don't think AOTC should have been made with a PG-13 rating. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the scenario:

Mace: "What is stamped on the side of this saber, Jango?"
    Jango: "Bad Muthaf" (well you know the rest).
    Mace: "That's right, 'Bad Muthaf'."

Or to see Anakin use the Force to conveniently undo Padme's zippers, buttons, or whatever they used to keep her costumes on.

But the truth is, Star Wars IS for kids as much as you would like to think otherwise, Don. My brother did go to see AOTC, he is 9, and I don't think my late mother would have wanted me to take him to it if it were PG-13. And you were at the premiere with me where there was that little Padme look alike, and a kid in a Count Dooku outfit, both who appeared to be under 13 to me. And more importantly, GL wants to keep the whole saga consistent, and I think that would include ratings. I say "PG for Episodes II and III."
  7. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe Lucas wanted CHILDREN to see it without their parents getting angry. It started out for children, it should end for children not adults who think it was for them and them alone. Let the new generation feel what the adults felt without you being sour about it.
  8. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think I'm being sour, I just think making a movie cut to kids levels of violence, when the vast majority of the audience isn't a kid anymore, is foolish. That's all. Like I said, I only saw one child at either of the two shows I went to, and she was at the midnight one.
  9. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah but if Lucas did have it cut like this you or any of us may not see most of the shows where the kids are. When I went on Sunday there was tons of kids there.WITH LIGHTSABERS! So George may have wanted that young innocence audience instead of adults as the main one.
  10. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
    I can see it now
    "Mommy can I have a real lightsaber, I wanna be just like Yoda!"
    "Sure, honey, here ya go"
    "Yippie!"
    Humm...brzzzapp
    "AHHH! I poked my eye out"
    [or]
    "AHHH!! I Lost a hand!"

sabers and kids do not mix...stop the violence...hehehe
  11. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
  12. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure there were more kids there when I saw the movie, I wasn't really looking. And I can see why Lucas wanted a PG movie, I guess I'm just saying what I would have done.
    When you get to the point in life where fantasy movie violence doesn't phase you, you kinda loose sight of the fact that it does bother some people and most of the people questioning the level of violence are parents with small kids. In fact I should know better, my sister and brother-in-law actually saw Star Wars to make sure it wasn't too violent for me and my niece to see. Wow, I totally suck on this topic, don't I?
  13. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I think PG-13 is a decent rating for what is in AOTC, let's face it...there are alot of peolpe dying in this movie. And while we as SW fans sometimes see just the nobility of the Jedi fighting for the Republic, to an outsider...it's a war movie! There are plenty of parents who don't want their kids exposed to violence on TV in movies to the point where seeing people die is nothing special, and I can respect that. We're a de-sensitized culture...nothing shocks us anymore; and that shows up in everything (including movie ratings).

Does GL write these movies geared towards kids...yes; but many don't realize when the OT came out, we were the kids...so it was OK. Now, people b*tch and moan about GL writing TPM as a "kiddie movie" but in reality nothing has changed...except us.

"making a movie cut to kids levels of violence, when the vast majority of the audience isn't a kid anymore, is foolish."

Don, but isn't that kind of a "don't do as I say, do as I do" mentality towards SW. We were the kids when OT was released. And after hearing fans like us talk about SW being the "timeless myth" that gets back to the innocence of the Saturday morning serials; wouldn't the worst thing be to change the style of the movie? SW is for kids, whether you are 5 or 25 (or older) and to change would be a insult to both new and old fans.
  14. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    In AOTC you can't see half of the dead Jedi. So what is the point of calling it PG-13 if you don't see it. Just because you have a war moive doesn't mean you have to see the blood or dead. Star Wars doesn't have to be Saving Private Ryan to be a war movie. Most of the movie is not of war, it is about the love story and the end of the Republic. The very end is the only war part. It doesn't have to be bloodly to be a good war scene.
  15. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
    I say PG-13 because tehre are so many graphic scenes and gun use. I mean, anikin alone slices genosians litterally IN HALF! and get's his arm choped off. There is a lot of gun play, yes it's laser guns, but I remember people making a big stink about all the gun play in the matrix(yes, I know this is slightly different but the princible is still the same) and there are a few scarry sceenes in the movie.

The fact that there is no blood shouldn't be a factor for deciding a rating, that's the problem with the rating system. And I think the whole rating system is bs now anyways. Originally, the MPAA Rating system was set up as just a WARNING/SUGGESTION. So if you wanted to see a R movie, you could still go see it if you were 15. It was set out as saying ok, this is whjat's in the movie so we suggest that it's not appropriate for people under 17. But now people have pushed it soo far that now your are RESTRICTED from going to see certain movies because of their content. If this is not BIG BROTHER TAKING CONTROLL I DON"T KNOW WHAT IS! WHERE IS MY FREEDOM TO GO SEE A MOVIE? WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT I CAN NOT GO SEE WHAT I WANT TO SEE?(by the way, I am 19 so yes I am allowed into R movies.)
  16. Padawan92 Jedi Master

star 4
    I too think the rating is bad, but for me the movie didn't seem to have enough violence to call it a PG-13.
  17. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin slices Geonosians in half and the camera cuts quickly away. (No pun intended). You can't see any blood or anything, and it's not that graphic. However, Mace giving Jango a really bad hair cut was PG-13 level. You really couldn't see any Jedi die, and when Obi-Wan checked the pulse of the one, he was already dead. Losing hands or forearms in Anakin's case isn't anything new to SW. And I would say that there is a huge difference between the clonetroopers guns and the Matrix lobby scene. The Matrix totally glorifies war, but SW doesn't show much, and the Matrix was R, SW is just PG. As for you Jon, what parts were scary? My bro only said he was scared of Zam when she changed into Clawdite form. I could see how some kids would be scared of Shmi's death, but I don't think there was too much scary stuff in it. And while I agree that we have become desensitized as a society, on A & E last night, there was a movie called "The Lost Batallion." This movie had soldiers shooting the heck out of everything and stabbing each other with bayonets. This was horrifying to me, it made war look awful. However, since SW is fantasy, most kids realize that the probability of laser guns and lightsabers being used as weapons is non-existent (well, for now at least). That's why I think it can get away with a little more. And with the exception of the barely visible blood spray coming out of Maul in TPM and the stubs of lightsaber wounds, when do you see blood in a SW movie? Never. The violence in SW is done tastefully, and it is a necessary vehicle for the plot. You should know going into see a movie called Star WARS that there will be WAR! So basically, I'm sticking with my position of PG rating. But this seems like one big rant to me, and now you guys can see why I am Random, cut there's no real direction to this post. :)
  18. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
    "it made war look awful"

ummm....war is awful.
  19. TheRandomMenace Jedi Master

star 4
    I know war is awful. All I'm saying is some films glorify war. The Lost Battalion didn't.
  20. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.