Before Should As Strangers We Meet- JA repost Epilogue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Healer_Leona, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I know, perhaps for some of you, been here, done this '. Still in order to stay inspired in writing the current story I'm working on, it was suggested by my dear friend Mouse to repost this as it hasn't seen the 'Before the Saga' board. I suppose it couldn't hurt to catch a couple new eyes in the process :D :D

I'm editing and tweaking as I go along as this story was originally written right into the 'post' box without spellcheck, betaing or much of anything and I've learned so much since 1999 when I started it.

Okay, enough of the excuses for why I'm doing it... here's a bit to start...

SHOULD AS STRANGERS WE MEET

Obi-Wan could feel victory in his grasp. He had been locked in battle well over four hours now and could finally sense a touch of weariness in his much older opponent. All he had to do was continue to wear the man down. Time and the stamina of youth were on his side. With energy to burn the young Jedi somersaulted over the tall man, swinging down with his lightsaber as he passed overhead.

His blue blade clashing with the green of his Master?s, frozen in a struggle of power and strength. Using this leverage, he angled his landing far out of reach of the elder Jedi. Obi-Wan twirled his lightsaber, a glowing arc of blue spread out in front of him as he advanced.

Qui-Gon, ever the serene master, eyed his apprentice appraisingly.

Outwardly the young man appeared calm and controlled. The only sign of physical exertion was the way sweat caused his short hair to stand up in spikes. Healthy and strong at nineteen, Obi-Wan was well on his way to being the powerful Jedi Knight he was to become.

The Force flowed from the Padawan in waves and with it Qui-Gon could read a combination of emotions that lingered beneath the calm exterior. Through their bond Qui-Gon wasn?t surprised to feel the strong desire that whirled in the boy?s mind, spurring him on.

Inwardly, the Jedi Master smiled, though not a hint of it crossed his face. This feeling, this desire of Obi-Wan?s had been steadily growing over the last few years and was always strongest during their lightsaber practice. More than anything Obi-Wan was consumed by the burning passion to defeat his master in swordplay. Even now, his face set with concentrated determination, Qui-Gon could feel the emotions of this ancient rite of passage surging through him. As he probed Obi-Wan's mind through the Force a vision was suddenly flashed into his own head.

Exhausted and sweat-soaked Qui-Gon lay flat on the floor, empty handed and helpless. His apprentice stood over him looking down in triumph, a booted foot weighted firmly on his chest, while the blue lightsaber planted a stinging kiss to his neck.

A look of things to come. Obi-Wan sent across the bond after feeling his master's prying fingers in his mind.

An almost imperceptible raise of an eyebrow was the Jedi Master's only response to this bold challenge.

Obi-Wan allowed a small smirk to flit across his face as he strengthened his mental shields, blocking his master from his mind.

Attacking with a vengeance, he engaged Qui-Gon full force. Slashing and jabbing, he pushed forward. Qui-Gon countered each motion with a defensive move born of the Force. Both combatants continued their graceful and fluid dance. The small cargo hold filled with the essence of the Force and the bitter scent of ozone as the blades met again and again. They circled each other warily, each vying for an opportunity to expand upon a weakness of the other.

Beep, beep, beep, beep, a soft twilling sounded through the ship. The ship's autopilot announcing they had reached their destination.

Too late the young Jedi realized his mistake. For the briefest of seconds the alarm had caught his attention. Seizing the moment, Qui-Gon spun around low, sweeping one long leg out in front of him. He connected with his apprentice's legs, knocking them out from under him.

"Argghh..." Obi-Wan blurted, falling heavily to the floor before knowing what hit him. The air was
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    ::Nearly faints.:: Whoa, talk about a cliff-hanger, talk about a stunning action of first post. Loved Qui-Gon's teasing of Obi-wan, but the way his relationship buckles down to loyalty when it counts.
  3. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Thanks Ish. sighs in relief You've no idea how difficult it was to hit the 'post' button. It's been a long time since I've seen my name under the author listing.... very scary! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  4. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yay - I was delighted when you said you were going to repost this story: there's so much I've forgotten! But there's one thing that's very much apparant to me and that is the skillful way you've got beneath the skin of both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Right from the start with the sparring lesson and the way that Qui-Gon singes his padawan's braid! And I love the cliffhanger: it's only the first post but you knew exactly how to end it!

Can't wait to rediscover the rest! :) :) :)

5. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Well, I've never read it, I believe, so I get to discover it on my own! YAY!
  6. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ahhh great! Loved the sparring! hehehe Poor Obi! Didn't win this time! Must be more mindful instead of being easily distracted by 'beeping' sounds! *srnk*

Uh oh... cliffy indeed! Nasty creature gonna squash/claw Obi! Hurry Qui!!

Great job! :D :D Can't wait for more!
  7. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Great start, Leona! Can't wait for more soon...hint, hint. :D

Shaindl
  8. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well I haven't seen this one before! So I'm thrilled to see it posted here! Wonderful, wonderful start! The end was an evil cliffie though. I would have read the next post anyway, LOL!

Reaching its intended victim the monster rose up on its hind legs, now well over nine feet tall. Bellowing harshly, its trunk held high, it displayed a large cavernous maw, deep with ragged teeth.

Fighting a losing battle against the darkness trying to claim him, the last thing Obi-Wan saw as his world blackened was the grotesque creature poised to kill him.

I would think this story would be VERY inspiring! It was for me! Great work, WOW!

9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Jemmiah- hopefully it'll be even better this time around. It's amazing how quickly this has brought back the joy of writing and posting. LOL!

Ish- it's awesome to get new readers as well as old!

Kynstar- Glad you enjoyed the sparring, it amazing how somethings flow so easily, that was one post that did the first time around.

Shaindl-- Thanks... I'm hoping to get a post up every couple days... though already with the next I've discovered all sorts of typos and just things I can improve on.

VaderLVR64- Thanks, I'm thrilled you're enjoying it. Yes, it is inspiring to work on my current story too now. Funny how quickly the joy of positive reinforcement comes back... I really missed it.
  10. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Of course I feel it Padawan. Qui-Gon silently voiced, but it's indistinct and may have nothing to do with our mission. And yes, I know, you have a bad feeling about this.

How does he do that, Obi-Wan thought

Very excellent start Leona! I haven't seen it before either so I look forward to reading it :D The characterizations were wonderfully done and the action was very well written also. Post again soon! :) That was an evil cliffe to leave!

Edit -- send me a link along with the Author, Title.. etc etc information so I can update the new stories index :)
  11. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Excellent start, Leona. I could really visualize Obi-Wan's cocky behavior and how it led him to lose to Qui-Gon in that fight. And the banter between them was comfortable and quite in keeping with their characters!

Then the dreaded cliffhanger. I assume it comes out right in the end!

Good job. Keep going!
  12. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    I vaguely remember this oen and what I remember is enjoying it quite a bit.
  13. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't remember this one-

I found a treat :)
  14. DreamOfKenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm also very new to these boards, so it is a real delight to find a story of this caliber. Hooray! I can't wait for more.
  15. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Layren--Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying this. I'll send a link and info along to you shortly.

dianethx--Then the dreaded cliffhanger. I assume it comes out right in the end! , But of course... unless he walks into another sticky mess. [face_mischief]

Lilith- It'll probably come back you. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

PadawanKitara Yay, new readers are greatly appreciated!!

DreamOfKenobi--Welcome to the boards DOK and thank you for such high praise.

16. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    It feels so good to see this posted. All that persuasion yesterday nearly wore me out. ;)

I love the way you write the relationship between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. They have such comradeship, but with the Master/Padawan relationship. (Did that nake any sense?)

Anyway more please! Evil cliffies tend to freak me out if not resolved soon! :D ;)
  17. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    Huzzah! I never got to read this one! I'm looking forward to it!! :D

Excellent start, Leona! Ouch.... not even one minute off the ship and they're already in trouble. But hey, it can't get any worse for them now. ;) Right?

Right?
  18. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Mouse-- pretty sad how much it really did take huh?? [face_blush] Again many thanks for the support and confidence.

Miana-- Welcome and thanks. But hey, it can't get any worse for them now. Right? Um... yeah of course... heh, heh [face_devil]

Okay, on with a bit more.

It happened so fast the Jedi Master could do nothing but watch in horror as the creature attacked. With no time to move, Qui-Gon whipped a Force stream into the creature's primitive mind. He sent the only thoughts and images he believed would save his Padawan.

Claws poised for a killing blow, the beast stilled, cocking its head, then suddenly letting out a high-pitched squeal.

No! Qui-Gon anguished. It didn't work! His heart skipped a beat as he stood motionless watching the creature lower itself closer to the unconscious Obi-Wan.

It's long, prehensile trunk reached out and gently prodded the still form, a soft mewl escaping it.

Qui-Gon released a hitching breath, unaware how long he'd held it.

The animal whirled around suddenly, reacting to the natural sounds in the forest. Its large head twitched nervously seeking the source of the many sounds.

The Jedi Master remained perfectly still, knowing he was now the one in danger.

Presently the beast wrapped its trunk around Obi-Wan. Lifting him off the ground, it trudged down the road, carrying the limp form away.

Reaching for the Force, Qui-Gon searched out his apprentice. Relief spread through his body as he touched the young man's mind. Unconscious and injured, he was still alive. He could feel the boy's energies focused on healing and added his own through the bond.

**Don't worry, I'm here. All will be well.** he sent, comforting himself along with his Padawan.

As he lost sight of the creature around a bend in the road, Qui-Gon quickly ran to the sight of the attack and pulled Obi-Wan's lightsaber out of the bushes. Stealthily he pursued the wild creature and its precious cargo, his mind filled with concern for his apprentice.

Obi-Wan Kenobi had been his Padawan learner now six years. Probably the most grueling six years of the boy's life. Reluctant at first to take on another Padawan in general and Obi-Wan in particular (he was head-strong and hot-tempered) he had begrudgingly relented when the Force threw them together. Cool and distant at first, unable to allow himself drawn again into blind sentiments, he trained the boy dispassionately. All the while the young apprentice labored strenuously in seeking his approval. It had been the boy's greatest test as a Padawan learner, breaking through his elder Jedi's hardened heart to create the bond they now shared.

Obi-Wan had long ago dispelled the black shadow of Xanatos, his former apprentice. It was Obi-Wan's persistence and unfailing heart that showed not only the incredible worthiness of the boy, but also the error of the elder's belief that it was in some way a failing on his part that Xanatos turned to the dark side.

Even with the same strong desire to become Jedi Knights, he was able to see the differences in what drove each boy to that goal.

Xanatos had been filled with pride and longed for the power he saw Jedi Knights wield. It was after seeing another kind of power, the kind not earned after hard work and dedication, but that coveted by the greedy, the envious or the evil that began his transformation to the dark side. It was this power he saw his father have that angered Xanatos beyond reason, completing his fall.

In contrast, Obi-Wan's aspirations were driven by a pure heart and the desire to do the work of the light side and yes, the quest of approval from his master.

The thought of now losing Obi-Wan was more than he could stand and he pushed his fears aside and followed the creature as it left the cover of the forest.

Out of the dense foliage, the creature headed for a trail that lead up the side of the adjacent mountain.

Casting for Obi-Wan and feeling the still unconscious young man
  19. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ahhh how sweet! That was touching! Loved how Qui instilled the thought of Obi being her little one! That was sooo cute!!

Good to see he isn't hurt to terribly bad!

Great chappie! Hurry guys, before mum does return!
  20. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    *Snatches first response* Actually I think I might HAVE read this -- but from what I remember it was very good ;) You've done an excellent job portraying Qui-Gon. Following Obi-Wan and managing to convince the creature that Obi-Wan's an offspring. Yep that's him alright ;) Good job! I look forward to more ..

=D=

Edit-- hey no fair Kynstar, *I* was going to be first ...
  21. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In contrast, Obi-Wan's aspirations were driven by a pure heart and the desire to do the work of the light side and yes, the quest of approval from his master. The thought of now losing Obi-Wan was more than he could stand and he pushed his fears aside and followed the creature as it left the cover of the forest...

Awww...*sniff* I love Qui-mush: not so much overly slushy but rather a quiet and fatherly pride in his padawan. I love how you write Qui! Especially his anguish when he thought his attempt to save Obi-Wan had failed! :) Well done! :D

22. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    LOL, is it quite awful that I find it funny that Qui-Gon passed Obi-Wan off as the offspring? ;)

Wonderfully written, Leona! I cannot wait for more! :D
  23. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That was adorable that Qui-Gon had the monster think that Obi was her baby. Very cute and made perfect sense. And I'm always a sucker for Qui/Obi mush. I liked that he was willing to accept Obi-Wan back into his heart.

Lovely.
  24. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Kynstar-- Always thought a bit of ahh was a good thing. :D

Layren--It's certainly possible to have read this before, I hope you stick around even if you had. :) I'm a big sucker for Jedi mush and have always seen the 'boys' as having gotten close after their rocky start.

Jemmiah-- Qui-mush??? Yeah, well you know me. ;) :D Hey, I had a dream last night that I was in Edinburgh with you, Calam and the Buffy gang!!

Miana- Awful??? Not one bit!!

Diane-- It's funny how certain scenes/ideas come to mind when writing. This was one of those.
  25. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Without further thought, Obi-Wan headed for the tunnel at the opposite end of the chamber. Immersing himself in the Force to guide him through the darkness, he began walking away as fast as he felt comfortable doing.

After a quick glance back to ascertain the progress of mama ele-sharkmouth-tiger, Qui-Gon flicked off his lightsaber and followed his apprentice through the mouth of the tunnel.

With the Force, the two Jedi easily navigated through the blackness, ducking around the hanging stalactites and shirting the upright stalagmites. At one point the tunnel expanded dramatically, revealing a sizable cavern spacious enough for a whole herd of banthas. Dim light filtered through long cracks high in the cavern walls, casting irregular shadows in the darkness.

Obi-Wan stood on a precipice, his eyes greedy for the small amount of light given. Even without light he had known the tunnel ended at a fifteen-foot drop. With the Force there was almost no need for eyes at all, but still it felt good to be able to see again.

Qui-Gon caught up to his Padawan and surveyed the cavern. Below them the cave floor shimmered, reflecting the dim light.

"Water?" Obi-Wan asked hopefully.

"It's possible" Qui-Gon gazed up at the crevices in the walls, "rain may have seeped in and collected."

"Or an underground spring." Obi-Wan remarked thinking how good a cool drink of fresh spring water would be. "Doesn't look to deep." he added.

"After you then, Padawan." Qui-Gon waved him on, a smile on his face.

Obi-Wan returned the smile with a nod and lightly jumped off the precipice to the waiting floor below. Closing his eyes, expecting a wet backsplash, he was surprised by the strange 'plop' that accompanied his landing in something that reached to his knees.

This isn't water, he thought. Pulling his leg up, he observed how the thick, gel-like substance sluggishly dripped in threads, seeming to prefer to cling to his boots.

Overhead, the Jedi Master had walked a few paces back. With a running start Qui-Gon leapt into the air, sailing as elegantly as a Alderrani falcon and landing on a large dry boulder some fifteen meters beyond.

"Oh..this..is..disgusting" Obi-Wan groused. "You knew this wasn't water!" he turned, glowering at his master.

"Actually I thought it was just that," Qui-Gon chuffed, trying not to show his amusement at his apprentice' predicament. "I was just in no mood for a bath."

Obi-Wan began trudging angrily through the mucousy goo toward where Qui-Gon waited. Each step was a struggle as the muck seemed reluctant to release him and it was with great effort that he laboriously made his way to the nearest outcropping rock.

Qui-Gon was watching the young man's progress when his eye caught sight of movement in the muck.

A large swell moved with deliberate purpose beneath the viscid fluid toward his apprentice.

"Obi-Wan!" Qui-Gon called out alerting him to possible danger.

Obi-Wan observed the swell recede as what ever it was disappeared beneath the surface. His senses on high alert, Obi-Wan scanned around him, his lightsaber in hand and ignited.

Suddenly a great wave burst from the slime as a large, tentacled slug rose from the shallows, dripping sludge.

As Obi-Wan swung at a groping tentacle, another lashed out, wrapping itself around his upper torso and pinning his arms to his sides. He grimaced as the muscular appendage constricted, pulling him closer, at the same time squeezing the air out of his lungs. The flattened, triangular tip wormed its way around his neck, tightening in a strangling grip.

He saw his master attempting to make it to his side but the thick slime slowed even the large Jedi considerably.

Black starbursts exploded before his eyes, his brain screaming for oxygen. White noise filled his head and above this he thought he heard the howl of the creature that held him in a death grip.

Qui-Gon had already jumped from the rock to help his suffocating Padawan when his attention was grabbed by a ferocious roar.

Standing o
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.