main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Should As Strangers We Meet- JA repost Epilogue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Healer_Leona , Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    hehehe Obi gambling ;) that was great! hehehehe Poor kid though... he feels the resentment.

Great work! Loved their first meeting *snrk* and the lil bit there at the end with Qui reading his mind hehehe!

This is going to be quite interesting indeed! :D

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Leona I'm 53 so I'm a lot older than you. Qui's mine! LOL.

I liked this post quite a bit. You've given Obi-Wan a good background, clear and logical. Still kept his basic personality but it morphed a bit with his experiences. I really liked how the two interacted. Poor Qui-Gon must be very unhappy about this Obi-Wan having such a life. Plus there really isn't anything he can do (like take him as apprentice) since he'll be going back to his universe.

Wonderful. I look forward to more with great anticipation. But Qui's still mine... [face-grin]

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Kynstar- Thanks, glad you liked it.

Diane-- that's why I stated board age... heh heh. I've been playing with him longer in all manner of ways... first come first served... possession is 9/10ths ... okay, *grumble, grumble* maybe we can share .. :D :D

4. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    What fun! Heehee, I really like the characterization of Obi-Wan. I can see him being like that if he weren't chosen. Haha, Obi-Wan gambling, Qui-Gon can't be too disapproving, though a little more wisdom wouldn't be a bad thing, especially around big dangerous aliens. Somewhat interested to see about this friend of Obi-Wan's. Loved the space-gypsy Obi-Wan. ;)

5. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I keep thinking about this story and how just one turn of events effects so many people. The fact that Obi is so bitter towards the Jedi, and who wouldn't be? But I keep wondering what happened to everyone else? [face_thinking]

Like what would have happened to Dex? Would he be as angry as Mace? Then it hit me... No Obi being chosen by Qui, no Obi and Qui saving Jemmy. Kind of just hits you in the gut doesn't it. Where would Rela be? Jay, Simeon, and everyone else?

Fabulous Leona! Looking forward to more!

6. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I love this story. You show very well what could happen to an apprentice who wasn't chosen and thus practically abandoned by the Jedi. But through the anger and bitterness, he's still so typically Obi-Wan. Great characterisation. And I can just imagine Qui-Gon acting the way he does here. Very well written and I can't wait for more. :)

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It looks like Qui stumbled into a mission after all

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sheesh... I didn't know Yatzee could be a gambling game... *ponders trying it sometime*

Excellent chapter. Hmm.. Obi's quite the sarcastic dude now... :)

Well done!

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    AthenaLeigh - Thanks, we should be seeing Obi's 'friend' coming up soon.

Mouse - Wow, I don't think I even thought of all that... and it would be a much sadder galaxy without those wonderful characters.

Indra - Thanks, I glad even though the boys may be a bit different, well, Obi-Wan at least, that I'm able to keep them in character.

Kitara - Yep, the Force moves in mysterious ways.

Miana - I had no idea how sabacc was played at that time so Yatzee is exactly what I based it off. Kinda like bar dice, which I've never even played. :D

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Argh! I got behind. So sorry, I've been horribly distracted lately. This story gets better and more interesting with every post and the bar was set pretty darn high to begin with! Lovely work, truly a joy to read!

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Such kind words [face_blush] VaderLVR, thank you.

Time for more.

With that decided, Qui-Gon followed an anxious Obi-Wan to the outskirts of the city and the Terrian's camp. Passing the camp's perimeter, Obi-Wan whistled loudly, imitating the call of a wild animal. Instantly in response, answering cries could be heard off to either side as the duo continued walking to where a large fire blazed in the center of the commune.

Exiting one of the small dwellings that surrounded them, a tall figure approached.

Qui-Gon noted the stiff, cautious strides, the way the man's hand hovered over his side, betraying the weapon hidden there. He saw Obi-Wan flick his hand at his side as if brushing something off his trousers.

At the gesture, the approaching man visibly relaxed. Pausing and looking past them, the Terrian motioned with his head and the four men Qui-Gon had already sensed hidden in the shadows stepped out into the flickering light of the campfire. As they reached the still man, Qui-Gon could feel the man's appraising gaze on him.

The Terrian was tall, though not as tall as Qui-Gon. Thin, though his rolled up sleeves showed hard, sinewy muscles. Deeply tanned, his face was lined with tiny wrinkles giving him a much older appearance than the spark in his dark eyes alluded to.

"Obi," he said, his steady gaze never straying from the stranger, "oomi says an there's evil omens in the wind and we must leave this place." his tone ominous and full of concern.

"Is tomorrow soon enough Efrem?" Obi-Wan asked with a smile.

The Terrian's eyes jumped in surprise to the young man. "You have it then Obi, you have brought the money?" The man's face lit up with hope.

"No, Efrem" Obi-Wan said with confidence, "I brought something even better, my friend. I brought a Jedi Master. Efrem Chaboska, meet Jedi Master Jinn."

"Ah, a Jedi" Efrem bowed in respect, "we've heard much of the Jedi from our friend Obi. You've come to help us free our Danni?"

Danian Chaboska sat on the hard bench meant to be used as a bed. Her knees were drawn up, hidden by the ankle length skirt she wore, her arms wrapped protectively around them. She had been imprisoned in the small jail cell for almost forty-eight hours now, without any word as to when she would be released. Nor was she charged with a crime or allowed to see anyone. This scared her to no end.

Being a gypsy, she was accustomed to suspicion, prejudice and mistreatment by the numerous peoples she encountered on the numerous planets her clan had set temps on over the years. Her people were eyed with distrust and sometimes outright hatred for only their way of life. Thieves, beggars and parasites, they were considered by many because of fear and misinformation when the opposite was far more true.

Yes, they called no planet home, but that didn't mean they lived like the Tatoooine sand spider that would invade an animal's burrow, kill and eat it's occupants then move on after filling the burrow with left-over carcasses and excrement.

The Terrian's were a proud and self-reliant people, choosing to live outside the normal realm of society and for that they were often persecuted and reviled. Danian had fallen victim to it many times herself and usually at the hands of some so-called law enforcement officer.

It was not something new to her, this barred cell. This was not what bothered her as she sat rocking back and forth on the bench, her shoulder length chestnut hair swinging as she moved. After being discovered at the transport company she had quickly found out she had been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Whisking her away, they had interrogated her through the night, questioning her alliances, accusing her of spying. Of course they didn't believe the flimsy excuse she had used when first caught. It was stupid, to be sure, but being lost was the first thing out of her mouth and that obvious lie only incensed them, making them more determined to learn the truth.

It was pretty apparent

12. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Uh oh the Elder lass senses the guard's 'lord' Hrmmm makes ya wonder to whom it'll be.

Hehehe I like Janey *snrk* hehehe

Glad to see that Qui and Obi can somewhat get along ;) 'You scratch my back I'll scratch yours' type deal might work out even better than either of them thinks!

Great work :D

13. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ooh I missed a post during the move! I do apologize :D I got to read two posts instead of just one and they were both very very good. Hrm -- Obi-Wan in black leather eh :p

And as for Qui-Gon .. Diane I thought we had an understanding ;)

Very excellent work Leona!

14. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    Ever more intriguing! lol, that old lady seems very Yoda-ish. Bad guys are so... *squint* bad. Ah, yes but another good bit of story. Looking forward to more!

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Layren My understanding was that we'd share...LOL.

Good job with the delvings into the gypsies camp and their heirarchy. Since the dark one is coming, I assume it's a Sith or sith-like being. At least Obi-Wan has family since his own deserted him....

Keep going!

16. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    [face_dancing] I just found this. Yummy! I can't wait to read more.

This is fantastic, Leona. =D= Poor everyone if you ask me. I have a very bad feeling about who the big bad boss is that the pig-faced guard threatened Danni with.

More please?

KD

17. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Magdalena expressed a heavy sigh. ?I sense home is very far.?

?Worlds away,? Qui-Gon answered.

*sigh* Poor Qui-Gon! :(

Fantastic post - from Efrem's palpable hope that Obi-Wan had brought the money to Janey's reaction on seeing Obi again. And Grrrr! That guard tending to Danian needs to go on a diet! Being repeatedly run over by a Reek is very good for a flat stomach, I'm told!

Well done Leona! :) :) :)

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Wish I could leave a witty and smart post, but I'm afraid I can't at the moment, so I'll just say "wonderful job" and "can't wait for more!" :)

19. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    This is a perfectly wonderful story and I can't wait for more. I'm constantly amazed at the high quality of work on these boards. It makes my stolen computer time very much worth it! [face_laugh]

20. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    "I know you'd like me to believe that," he stated with feigned sympathy "but do I really look that stupid?" I know what a certain redhead would say to that (and was the first thing that popped into my head as well). "Well, yes actually."

Hmmm... A darkness... Too many possiblilties. Makes me eager to read more Leona! :D

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hmmm, I finally caught up! But hmmm, Quiggy is obi's connection to somehting that will bring darkness. A foreshadowing of the rest of the story or something ani-related? Sometimes, I read too mcuh into things.

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Kynstar - Thanks. They do seem to be getting along fine now, don't they??? heh, heh....

Layren - Hope you're all settled and relaxed. Moving can be so tense. My vision of Obi-Wan in this fic was from the cover of 'The Unauthorized Biography of Ewan McGregor.

AthenaLeigh - Thanks. For those old enough to know, I fashioned the elder gyspy woman after Maria Ouspenskaya, my all time fave gyspy woman.

Diane - Thanks, all I did was picture the Wolfman for my inspiration of the gyspy camp. :D :D

KD Welcome! :D Glad you're enjoying this. Hopefuly I'l get more up shortly.

Jemmiah - ROFLOL!! Not the diet I would want to try. [face_laugh]

Miana - Believe me, knowing you're reading and even more enjoying is all I need to feel good! :D :D

LukesTheMan- Another new reader!! *giggles with glee* Welcome and thanks!! :D

Mouse - I can so hear Rela saying that. LOL!

Ish - Hmmmm... who knows. ;) Well, Okay I do.. and maybe some others here but you'll find out... eventually. Heh heh.

23. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Very good post, as expected. I love the world you created for Obi-Wan. It's very believable with all the customs, the language and the many different people. It shows his life apart from the Jedi perfectly. I'm really curious about the 'lord'. Can't wait to read the next chapter. This is just so good. :)

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Just found this. WOW!! More soon!!

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Indra - Thank you. This next post should go a long way in relieving that curiosity.

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - Welcome! Always nice to gather another new reader!

Over an hour later, Efrem joined them, panting from physical exertion. "Breakdown is well underway," he announced, taking a seat at the table. "three of the trailers are already on their way to the transports. Shouldn't take us more than a couple of hours till we're gone."

"Now, my friend," Efrem turned to the tall Jedi "tell me how we get Danni."

It was decided the Jedi and Obi-Wan would go alone even though Efrem argued there were able bodied men willing to join them.

"I wish to avoid violence at all costs, the more men we take only increases the chance of injury." Qui-Gon advocated.

Obi-Wan took Efrem aside "Efrem I agree with the Jedi. Too many men only makes us more conspicuous. You need everyone here to finish breaking camp." Casting a furtive glance at the Jedi he lowered his voice so as not to be overhead "And believe me my friend, one Jedi Master is more capable than an army of Wookiees."

"If you insist," Efrem agreed doubtfully, "I'll trust your judgment."

"What I need you to do is make sure everyone gets off safely, safety of the clan is priority." Obi-Wan put his hand on the elder man's shoulder, his gaze emphatic.

"And your escape?" Efrem questioned.

"Leave the small shuttle on the opposite end of the city."

"That ship carries no weapons or hyper-drive." Efrem interjected worriedly.

"If they're looking for us they'll come here first. Having the ship on the opposite side of town should give us more than enough time to be safely away. Once they see the camp vacated I'm counting on them feeling sufficiently vindicated with having run us off and don't anticipate they'll feel the need to bother with us further."

"Yes, logical reasoning." Efrem assented. They'd been in worse trouble on other worlds and found that most of the time all it took was a hasty departure to be left alone. "Then till together again." he grasped Obi's shoulder giving a light squeeze before leaving.

Watching the older man leave, Obi-Wan smiled to himself.

It had been amazing how quickly he had found kinship with these people. From that first fateful encounter he had found friendship and acceptance never experienced in his thirteen years at the Jedi Temple. He was even looked on as an equal and often a leader at an age when most young men had little understanding of true responsibility and commitment. But there was something more he had found here, something he valued more than his own life.

"Ready?" Jedi Jinn asked, pulling him out of his reverie.

Across the street from the constable's office, two forms blanketed themselves in the deep shadows of evening. The older stood with eyes closed, deep in thought while the younger cast nervous glances down the empty street.

"Can you sense Danni, is she alright?" Obi-Wan inquired anxiously.

Gathering the Force, Qui-Gon reached out, feeling it flow around him and through him, offering strength and serenity. Directing a thread to the building across the street he could sense the life forms inside. Stretching out to the one consciousness whose signature differed from the rest he could easily feel her. Fingers of anger and fear washed through her mind.

"She is unharmed," Qui-Gon told him sedately as he reached out to her, sending waves of calming reassurance. The Jedi Master was not surprised when he felt her mind respond to his light touch. He had already sensed the same Force-sensitivity he had felt in the elder Magdalena Omsprey.

The young woman?s mind had at first expressed relief, extending out to his, then suddenly fleeing at the unfamiliar presence. Qui-Gon could feel her mind pushing at him in an attempt to raise mental shields. Opening his eyes, he had half a mind to inquire on the young man's obvious hand at teaching the Jedi arts to the woman, but lack of time and the realization this was not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.