main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Should attempted rape be defined as rape?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    WHy haven't you responded to the comments calling you out on your backwards, ignorant views?

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Kinda??? I would totally wear those to work!

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because he'd rather grape you in the mouth.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Memories...

[​IMG]

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You wouldn't be the same class of victim as a female, either.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The CDC shows that it is not "overwhelmingly a women only issue". You have 1.3 million male victims of "made to penetrate" and 1.3 million female victims of "rape".

As for the rest of your post, while it fits the oppression narrative that I often see tumblr feminists espouse, it's simply silly.

"Only white males have a say in white male issues. I am a white male and think you are oppressing me. Oppressors do not get to define oppression!" That's simply silly, and that's what you're saying.

As for women decided what is rape and what is not, what if women disagree? What if a sizeable number of women think attempted rape isn't rape - but that it's attempted rape? What then? Are they right too, simply because they're women - and two sets of women, each holding mutually exclusive opinions, are both right?

I don't blame you for reflecting the oppression narrative that most of us have been taught (including me), but I've spent a lot of time reflecting on it and come to the conclusion that it's simply silly. "Rape is forced sex plus power. Males cannot be raped!" I have read the bloggings of women who truly believe that - and that is essentially what you are telling me. This is false. A male victim of rape is a victim of rape. Discounting his experience because he is male is sexist.

The CDC report does not contradict me. I am comparing "made to penetrate" directly with "rape" of females - the incidence is the same. Women are subject to more sexual violence than just that, but a significant number of men are victims too. Rape is not a "largely female problem" that males are excluded from discussing.

I'd like to thank you for actually discussing the issue. I immensely appreciate it.

I have never said, anyway, or ever, that non-consensual digital penetration is not rape. I do not think that way and it was incorrect for you to assume from my other posts that that is what I meant. You can have rape without penises, and I have never said or implied otherwise.

There is a sliding scale from unwanted attention such as a stare all the way to forced penetration. Where along the line does "rape" begin? That's a fair question - but to be clear, I did mean, "attempted criminal sexual penetration" vs "completed criminal sexual penetration". I think distinguishing between the two is proper and in line with how we conduct the rest of our legal system.

I've never made light of rape. In real life, victims of sexual assault and abuse, for some reason, feel extremely comfortable sharing their experiences with me and find talking with me about it therapeutic. It continues to horrify me how many of my friends (both male and female) tell me about unwanted sexual experiences that they have had. In high school, in the locker room, when my teammates would joke about their being sexually assaulted by women (typically seems to happen to us when we're asleep or passed out) - but again, we haven't been trained to view that as a sexual assault. I think my teammates simply didn't know how to handle it.

If you really detest sexual assault, then please, try to view me as an ally and not an opponent.

To be clear, is this directed at me?

I am unashamed of that comment and I stand by it. I will again say to both of you what I said in the thread.

As for the rest of you, I'll probably post an update in the foreskin thread sometime soon. Almost ready to get the tugger.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    for real just stop. I'd say quit while you're ahead, but you lost that opportunity when you made the first post of this thread.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Look at me!

I recall locker room conversations like that. It was soon quite clear that most, if not all, of them were lying, trying to seem like studs who women couldn't keep their hands off of.

So...what's your point? That everyone else has natural urges to rape people, but Saint OZK doesn't? Because re-reading that post from long ago, it certainly seems like you have that natural urge

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I saw a guy wearing these, except they were black with red and orange flames on the wings.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This thread in summary:

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As I recall, the original post came in the middle of a discussion about his decision to abstain from sexual intercourse until after marriage, which people were criticizing on the grounds that it suppressed a natural urge. He was trying, somewhat provocatively, to note that not every impulse experienced by humans is necessarily positive. Or that, further, even impulses that are completely mundane and harmless are either suppressed or modified. In this way, he was trying to present his own behavior as normal in type, if somewhat unusual in the specific circumstance where he'd applied it.

However, as often happens with attempts to shock--which is part of the reason I avoid this style of argument--it was very readily misunderstood, especially given his lack of clarifying remarks in the same post. Also common to these sorts of arguments, as you must realize, the parallel is actually sloppy in a lot of respects, and is based on ignoring things we shouldn't necessarily.

13. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Okay, this thread has been on the first page for days, and it really needs to just go away. I was loathe to comment before because I didn't want to give it another bump but clearly it's still alive and well regardless. EVERYONE JUST STOP.

OZK, you've made your point. And FWIW I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but there's really no point in belaboring the matter. I think we all can agree that:
    Rape is bad
    Attempted rape is bad
    Rape happens to men/women/transgender people and it is ALWAYS bad regardless of the gender of the victim

But by persisting in this, you're coming off as someone attempting to deflect the issue of rape against women. That's not your intent, but that's how it's coming off to some people. That's why you're getting all the angry comments.

To EVERYONE ELSE,
    let this go. You've clearly made yourselves heard. You've had your fun with the mocking. As someone who's not immune from popping off and going Social Justice Warrior myself, there comes a point where reacting with emotion or calling someone out whom you think is wrong descends into borderline baiting of your opponent. You aren't adding anything relevant anymore; you're just keeping a thread with a triggery title alive.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Posting in a thread is great strategy for keeping it from receiving more bumps/attention. It reminds me of how I avoid having a hangover through massive consumption of alcohol.

15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Just posting to say stop posting

Point Given likes this.
  16. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    I honestly laughed out loud when I read this thread title.

Also,

TTT !

Do we still say that? Probably not.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

Should attempted Snape be defined as Snape?

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think cosplay is the same thing as attempted costuming.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "The Thrawn Trilogy"? Yes, we do.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why am I not surprised you are of a mind with Lee?

Point Given likes this.
  22. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Twelve years ago I remember reading OZK posts and thinking, 'geez, I hope this guy grows a conscience and some common sense.'

Bummer.

23. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It is because Catholics are generally so burdened by guilt that other emotions and cognitive functions become relegated to the back seat.

harpua, Darth_Invidious and Ender Sai like this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No personal remarks, please.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.