main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Augusta National have to admit women?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Coolguy4522, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Good call No Blasters, I can't wait for winter so I can join the women's ski team.

I've already said it once, and it was said above once. It is a private club. It is not taxpayer funded, it is it's own enity.
    I hate elitism like anyone, believe me, but it is a private club. Women have plenty of private clubs, they just don't have the prestige of an Agusta. Fine, MAKE YOUR OWN CLUB, and BUILD YOUR OWN COURSE and only allow women. Be a trailblazer instead of crashing someone elses party.

Why do you even want to be there. Would it make you feel better if they had to invite a women, would you feel victorious over them. Boycott them, boycott their sponsors, and if there are more of you than there are people who agree or don't care, then you have a little bit of democracy in action.

I would never want to be part of a club that didn't want me. By crying foul and begging to have your gender represented, your insisting that they have something you can't live without. If a women commanded the attention of say a Tiger Woods, then I promise, she would be invited.

While we are at it, I think it is disciminatory that women can play sometimes over 100 yards closer to the pin. Agusta should make it mandatory that anyone having membership play from the Blue tee area.

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Do not get me confused here, I am all for women's rights and what not.....but Augusta National is a Private Club. They make their own rules......rules that have been in place forever.....

They should not be enforced to admit women. They will do it when they are ready.

3. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    Does the woman's group protesting allow male members?

If not they are being hypocritical.

4. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    There is a point that hasn't been brought up yet. The fact is that women in general cannot play golf as well as the men. A woman who has a lot of cleavage has a much harder time swinging the stick. A CBS announcer got fired a few years back because he made this statement.

5. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Quoting No Blasers!
    What possible reason could you have for excluding approximately 52% of the population from a game that everyone is capable of playing?

Apparently you didn't read my earlier post. They exclude a lot more of the population than 52%. It's more like 98 or 99%. It's an exclusive club. It's not like just any man can walk up there and golf, and they have bouncers that kick out all women. So what if the only members that can get in are men? That's their perogative.
    I don't see it as being predjudiced against women, but just as a club of men that own a golf course and only let themselves and their friends use it. Women golfers so not have, on average, the same golf scores that men do. The Augusta National is for the best really good golfers. If the owners feel that none of the women they come across meet the standards of golfing at their club, that's their decision. Just know that the vast, vast majority of men don't meet it either.

6. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    This course is not accepting federal money is it? If not...then No...they don't have to admit anyone.

Why do I get the feeling that this issue was media influenced? I mean, come on!!! Its GOLF. Golf has always been dominated by rich white men. Nothing will change that. Do you think Tiger would be playing there if he didn't have the almighty god NIKE backing him up?

Money talks...

7. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Let them be. It is a private club. They can do what they want IMO.

I mean, my apartment is like a private club, I only let women come in. Not men. Is that wrong now? Am I being a bigot because I only let women in my apartment?

8. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    Goodness you people get your dander up when discrimination is pointed out to you.

Yes, it's a private club.

No, it doesn't accept tax dollars.

Yes, it has the all male "tradition".

So what?

Until 1990 they had a no No Blacks policy, which was wrong. And they still have a No Women policy, which is also wrong.

The fact that it's a private club has no bearing on the morality of its discriminatory policies.

(And if someone points out again that only the best golfers get invited to join, I'll point out that I highly doubt that its 300 members are all, to a man, better than every pro female golfer on the planet. The suggestion alone defies logic. And would you also have argued back in 1990 that no black could ever be as good a golfer as a white man?)

And no, the womens groups have no policy barring men from their ranks. Why on earth would they turn away someone willing to pay dues and help the women's movement?

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I say sue these women's organizations for slander and infringing upon rights. If they want an all male club, let 'em. I go with the video game comment. If you don't like a place, just don't go there. I think women's groups are really dumb some times. They promote equality, yet they want inequality. Some of them anyways. So what if they don't allow women? Who the hell cares? And who are these people to dictate PRIVATE policy? Bah! PSHAW! on women's groups. I don't believe they're necessary now either. The only time they're even relavant is as rape victim consultants. And yes, my views are extreme. But I don't believe in pushing your views on someone else. Especially a private organization.

10. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    (And if someone points out again that only the best golfers get invited to join, I'll point out that I highly doubt that its 300 members are all, to a man, better than every pro female golfer on the planet

I'll take that bet! As I pointed out above, women start from a different tee. Over 100 yards closer to the pin at some courses. If a women can play from the blue tee and still beat any of those 300 men, I say, let her in.

But just as there will never be a women SEAL, unless they lower the standards, so will it be that women could never be contenders playing by the same rules in golf. It doesn't make you less than men, just different. Embrace your differences and go and make your own club.

The problem is that unless something is open to the public, which Agusta is not, then discrimination rules don't apply. And if you force the issue, then you are saying you don't believe in the right of free association, no matter how racist or sexist.
    Can you tell me there aren't places for women, that men are forbiden?, And I'm not talking about public toilets either.

11. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    I agree with son_of_the_tear on the apartment thing.

Your home is private, no? You discriminate against who you let in, no? You are allowed, in your home to do certain things that you aren't allowed in society. For instance, smoking inside is not allowed most places you go. You can smoke in your house if you want. If you had a homeless person sleeping outside your residence, you'd probably call the cops and have him removed, right? Now you're discriminating against homeless people? No, you're just keeping the standards you know and love in your home.

Various organizations are allowed certain freedoms over others. Get assistance from the government and you have certain rules you have to follow. Recieve no assistance from anyone other than your 'members' and you can pretty much do what you like. Excluding a certain type of human is something that they can do. I bet the course isn't real big on letting in the handicapped either. Guess people in wheelchairs aren't as big a deal at the golf course.

You don't have to like it or even acknowledge it, but they can do what they feel is right (certain unalienable rights) as long as they are not breaking any laws. Does mean it's economically viable? No, but then again, most clubs aren't in it for profit, they're just in it so they can do something.

And guess what, if a bunch of women got together, built a course, started a club and decided to not let men in, then that would be great. Would I be crying about it? Nope. I could send my wife to that and I'd hit Augusta. Just kidding. But really, maybe if NOW or whoever put their efforts into say, making an all-woman golf club, rather than try to infiltrate what some would call an institution, maybe we'd all be happier.

12. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    Once again, I think the point of this thread is not to protest Augusta's RIGHT to refuse women as members, but to ask whether one of the most prestigious sporting events of the year should be held at a venue that discriminates. I have no problem with Augusta refusing women, but when a nationally televised tournament is held there, it is promoting the venue.

So, let's turn the question to: should the PGA participate at a venue that discriminates?

13. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yes, it would be wrong not to let blacks in.

Because that is discriminating against race and heritage.

But it is not wrong to not let women in because gender is a different subject and it is a men's club.

This reminds me of the ridiculous story in the late 80's about that little girl who sued the Boy Scouts because they would not let her join.

She lost.

And I am glad she lost because the Boy Scouts are for BOYS. Not girls.

She said the girl scouts was not good enough for her. She prefered the programs the Boy Scouts offered more. They did not let jer join, so she sues.

Ludricous!

It is a men's club.

If this keeps up, us guys will never be able to have a private club ever again.

It is tradition. Women are permited to play, but as a guest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.