main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Should Barriss Return in Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 3, 2013.

?

Should Barriss return in Rebels?

1. yes

95 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. no

69 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. i don't know

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I always have in mind when Barriss told Anakin proudly how good Ventress' two red light-sabers would suit her. And how she told the court that trust and truth are no longer the values she can adhere to. I think it would be easy for Palpatine to seduce her more into the dark side like he did with Anakin before revealing his Sith-identity. He may demand from her some compensary actions to minimize her guilt and to avoid death sentence. Of course in the name of the Republic. And when she is caught in a tighter and tighter web of atrocities she meted out for the honorable chancellor she may never escape when he would finally reveal to her his true identity. If she is ever that important to him.

Darth_Pevra and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I hate that line. That is the only thing about what they did with her that seems incoherent to me. Not impossible IU since you have to be pretty illogical to bomb the Jedi Temple because you think the Jedi are too dark side (?) in the first place (like most people who do this kind of thing in real life), but still bothers me OU.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I could take it or leave it. It's all down to handling. If she does appear I don't want it simply to be killed. That's cheap.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The red sabres made sense to me because they symbolised Barriss's opposition to the Jedi. Sith stuff is irrelevant (especially as the person she took them from wasn't Sith at the time).

Anyway, I voted yes but there are good reasons not to include her. It would just be fanservice as she's a nobody. An extra from one (or two?) of the less popular films. Only strange fans like us would even bother to look up who she is.

It would be nice to see her as an Easter egg or unmentioned background character, just because.

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Given the Rebels' look ahead preview, I actually would perhaps have preferred they made use of Barriss as an atoning villain.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Doesn't seem likely though since many act like Anakin is the first to be redeemed. However, I love redemption tales and it is high time SW stops treating it's topics shallowly. Just because you lose your way doesn't make you worthless. Plus, *Everyone* in SW was played and deceived not merely just the supposedly good Jedi. Imperials and regular citizens as well. I tire of the Force-Sensitive elitism.

Kablob likes this.
  7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Anakin was redeemed back to his Jedi self, so to speak. Maul was "quasi-redeemed" (not really redeemed, but he went from completely selfish to understanding compassion for his brother, and receiving compassion from Talzin).

I'm not saying that I'd like to see Barriss go back to being a Jedi like nothing ever happened, but still she could have even have been an anti-hero. Kanan learns she's alive, he rescues her thinking she's going to be some wise Jedi Knight that can help them out, and instead she's not what they expect and she's aggressive and not at all stoic, etc.

Her fall to the Dark Side didn't seem at all characterized by the same personal ambition that individuals like Asajj, Maul, Dooku or Vader had. She wanted the Jedi out of the war and wanted the Jedi that fought in the war to face justice, and she was willing to let her friend take the fall for a bombing that the military would use as leverage to conduct the trial in Republic courts rather than Jedi courts, setting a precedent that really curtailed Jedi autonomy and established them as being subservient to the Republic's justice system and answerable for their crimes. Then she sits in jail for 15 years and sees that the Republic that she wanted to judge the Jedi is actually led by a Sith who militarized the Republic and wiped the Jedi out. I could see her as kind of being a broken figure or anti-hero that needs to really learn her way again.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree that would be a worthy arc. I don't like it when characters act like nothing effects them either. These characters go through a lot. My problem stems that we very rarely actually see the effects. That is jarring and unrealistic.

TaradosGon likes this.
  9. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    Hopefully she wont, she has always been a cameo there is no need for her to be in rebels.

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Considering the death penalty was on the table for Ahsoka....I would have to believe Barriss got the ax....unless Sidious was able to use that Sith voodoo of his to twist her into an inquisitor??

11. King Joker

King Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2014
    I thought this would be an interest thread to talk about ideas and share theories about what would happen if Barriss showed up on Rebels. What would she be like? Would she be fighting with or against the Empire? Etc, etc...

12. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I feel like Dave Filoni was hinting at her being an Inquisitor in the latest interview with him.

King Joker likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I think she will appear in Rebels but it won't end well for her.

14. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm not sure about an Inquisitor...(aside from the fact that I would hate it.) I mean, we've already got one of those in the show.

It seemed he was getting at Barriss being used as a way to trap surviving Jedi. I'm thinking she might have gotten some brainwashing.

15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe. But there could be more then one Inquisitor.

That's possible too.

16. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I definitely think there's more than one Inquisitor, I just don't think we'll have others show up in the actual show.

Maybe they turned Barriss into something like the Winter Soldier.

17. King Joker

Sep 13, 2014
    The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai.

TheSilentInfluence and Kablob like this.
  18. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That would be cool.

For whatever reason I'm thinking about that scene where Ahsoka tells Barriss to stop attacking her in Brain Invaders though. Of course, it would be different now.

20. King Joker

Sep 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

Kablob likes this.
  21. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I can actually see her as a rogue rebel, now that she knows that Palpatine was behind everything.

22. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    "Who the hell is Barriss?"

If she was being a rebel, I'd want her to still be pretty darksidey. An anti-Imperial darksider would be awesome.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    She could be a Hand.

In the EU (I know I know) there were all sorts of different classes of Force users in the Emperor's service. Inquisitors, Hands, Adepts, the Prophets of the Dark Side, the Emperor's Shadow Guard, etc.

24. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I guess she would be classified as a Hand if she's been turned into Space Bucky Barnes.

Here's another idea:

The Ghost crew meets up with another Rebel cell that’s rumored to be led by a Jedi. They get there and discover that it’s led by none other than Barriss Offee. She claims that she managed to escape captivity, and is now launching some (quite brutal) attacks on the Empire. She's definitely somewhat unhinged still, and Kanan doesn’t trust her at all, but eventually they all come to an uneasy alliance against the Empire. They go on a big operation together, only for everything to go horribly wrong, almost like the Empire knew they were coming. The Inquisitor shows up and Kanan, Barriss, and Ezra prepare to face off against him…

And then the Inquisitor just smiles at Barriss and says:

"The Emperor has invited you to Lake Laogai."

And then Barriss attacks them.

This isn't the first time this has happened either. They send her out with the impression that she's just escaped prison, and she organizes a rebel cell. She unconsciously reports everything she does to the Empire, and her Darksidey tactics give the rebels a bad name. Eventually she unwittingly leads them all into a trap and gets everyone else killed - especially if she manages to find another Jedi. Then they activate her brainwashing, dump the last few months of her memory, and repeat the process.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  25. King Joker

Sep 13, 2014
    Sweeeeeet! I'd watch that!