main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Should Barriss Return in Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 3, 2013.

?

Should Barriss return in Rebels?

1. yes

95 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. no

69 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. i don't know

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    No. Little miss strawman should have been executed for poorly thought out terrorism.

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Even if Barriss was sentenced to death, if the death row waits on Coruscant are anything like those in the USA then theoretically they might not have gotten around to the actual execution even by the time of the OT era. Maybe not even by the battle of Endor.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well, if there is one thing we have learned from TCW (where did that thread go). Republic prisons are pretty worthless at actually keeping inmates, ya know, in. Cad Bane has escaped atleast twice. Force users are harder to contain and Commander Fox's boys just fail at everything they do.

4. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I think the reason why this is so is rather clear: Commander Fox is a shiny!

Just take a look at his armor, compared to Rex's:
    [​IMG]

Looks much 'shinier' to me.

Darthgoodguy and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    ^Hah, we have had some fun captioning that picture.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    So... I know that Star Wars fandom has this weird unique thing about huge fan cults developing around really minor characters (paging Mr. Fett...), but what's the big deal with Barriss, anyway? People get really worked up about her. I don't get it.

Darth_Pevra, V-2 and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    From what I've seen, there appears to be a major subset of fans who read... probably rather more than was intended, into the exact nature of Barriss and Ahsoka's, erm, relationship.

If you don't know what I mean, run a google image search for Barriss and Ahsoka. But if you're at work, make sure safesearch is set to the max.

Much of the raeg over Barriss' face-heel turn probably originates with that lot. Eventually, it detached from its origin and spread to the wider fandom.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    No, I think most of the rage probably stems from the fact that Barriss was last in a speaking role three and a half seasons ago, and she was always (TCW and otherwise) as a peaceful Jedi. I don't think it has anything to do with the Ahsoka/Barriss shippers, at all, and all to do with the lack of context and logic in Barriss jump in characterisation. Oh, and also because the show's director came out and said basically, 'hey, yeah, you're not going to like who the terrorist is because it doesn't really make sense and is for shock value.'

That's just my two cents, though.

9. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I never really cared for Barriss. She was a pretty dull character as a Jedi and the twist about her being responsible for bombing the temple felt like it was done purely for shock value.

I want to see the real bad girls of the Clone Wars brought back for Rebels. It would be interesting to see what Ventress is up to now that the Empire has taken over. Mandalore is begging for a follow up with Bo-Katan rebelling against Almec's faction and the revelation of her being Satine's sister. Mother Talzin's storyline with Darth Maul also needs closure. And Aurra Sing? She's just too awesome.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Pretty much this. Much of the annoyance at Barriss' change of character comes from how completely out of nowhere it truly is. If they'd at least set things up properly in a way that respected Barriss' character as well as the audience's intelligence, it may have been an easier pill to swallow.

Also, I think most of the Barriss/Ahsoka shipping stuff is more done in humor than anything else.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This exactly.

The idea that people who didn't like the change, must have been 'shipping Ahsoka and Barriss is actually kind of offensive.

I'm not hung up on Barriss; I liked her well enough in Weapons Factory and Brain Invaders but haven't given her any thought since then, which makes sense as she hasn't shown up since then. I haven't read the MedStar books and I actually found her annoying in The Approaching Storm, when she seemed to ask Luminara's permission every time she needed to pee.

I didn't like what was done with her character because I like good writing, which would include not writing a plot point just for shock value, and would also include allowing the audience to see aspects of character development and relationship development that are important to the plot--as opposed to saying that "yeah, this happened off screen. Why did it happen off screen? Because we said it did. How did it happen off screen? You fans don't need to worry your tiny brains about that, just accept that it happened off screen because we said it did."

12. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'll outright state that I never cared for Barriss and always found her to be both annoying and uninteresting. Yet as others have pointed out her character arc came completely out of nowhere. There was no buildup or real logic to it.

13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I think the biggest sin of all was Luminara being NOWHERE to be found.

Mzukiller likes this.
  14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It's almost as if they're were like, "yeah, ****, we can't work out a way she can be in this episode and it can somehow maintain what little sense it has", so they simple pretended she didn't exist.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yet another example of extremely poor planning.

If the writers actually thought this out before last Thanksgiving, I'll eat Cad Bane's hat.

16. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm not sure I understand this complaint about Barriss. We're complaining that her betrayal came out of the blue with no warning? Well yeah - it won't be a very effective betrayal if it doesn't, will it? What did we want her to do - walk around for a few episodes with a sign around her neck saying: "Disgruntled: May Plant Bomb Soon"?

V-2 and darth fluffy like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There was not enough friendship shown between her and Ahsoka for Ahsoka to feel "betrayed". As I've said, a comparison would be one of us feeling "betrayed" if someone we worked with a few years ago and chatted with over the break room water cooler, committed a crime. If we took such behavior as a personal betrayal, that would be our problem for assuming the world revolves around us and every decision that anyone makes, is done with us in mind.

Also, do you really see no middle ground between showing no sign whatsoever of being disgruntled with the Jedi, and wearing such a sign around her neck? I would have at least liked a scene in season 5 in which she talks the way Dooku does in the Plagueis novel, expressing disgust with the direction that the Order has taken.

18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I would love to see Barriss return as a Dark Jedi in the employ of Sidious. It would be awesome if it happens and Palpy explains that with her actions she tried to rebel against the "evil Jedi".

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    As opposed to...well thought-out terrorism? I think you just explained in the most succinct way possible what is wrong with all the complaints about her rationalization for her actions not being sufficient. There's really no such thing as well thought-out terrorism. People who do things like that in real life as well as fiction typically have very poor rationales.

V-2 likes this.
  20. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    9/11 was simultaneously well thought out and poorly thought out.

It was well thought out in that it went off near-perfectly. They managed to take over planes and hit the WTC and Pentagon, bring down the towers and kill thousands of Americans. (Ironically, the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania could possibly have been the most destabilizing for the country if it had reached its target... thought to be the Capitol. Congress was in session at the time, and could have been mostly wiped out in its entirety if a 757 had come diving through the dome.)

It was poorly thought out in that America went berserk, invaded Afghanistan, invaded Iraq, Saddam ended up hung, Bin Laden ended up shot in the head... It's like they didn't think of the repercussions.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    9/11 was planned out for over seven years. The suicide pilots trained on American soil. It was well-thought-out terrorism on Al Qaida's end.

But I don't want to get too real-world here. I'm not a fan of the death penalty so I don't want to say that Barriss should be executed, but if she is, it should be for terrorism, period, not a particular brand of terrorism.

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    [face_dunno] o_O [face_worried]

How the heck did we get to this dark corner... after talking about Barriss in "Rebels"...

JackG likes this.
  23. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Wait - so which was the part that was destabilizing and damaging to the country? The part where they tried to kill all of Congress, or the part where they missed?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Really? I don't care what anyone's politics are, I would like to believe that no one is actually going to promote the idea that murdering over 200 people for their beliefs would be a good alternative.

eht13 likes this.
  25. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    If they'd managed to kill all of congress, that would have been more destabilizing than knocking down the Twin Towers, or trashing one-fifth of the Pentagon.

When people think of 9/11 they always think of the World Trade Center. And even if the Capitol was also hit, people would still think of the WTC when they think of 9/11. Because of the sheer horrific spectacle of it. The planes hitting the towers. The towers burning. People jumping to their deaths. The towers collapsing. And all of it recorded on video from multiple angles, and disseminated across the world's TV networks, and later on the internet.

In the general public consciousness, the WTC is the face of the 9/11 attack. But it's actually the run on the Capitol that could theoretically have done the most damage to the country, had it succeeded.