main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Should Barriss Return in Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 3, 2013.

?

Should Barriss return in Rebels?

1. yes

95 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. no

69 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. i don't know

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. tutor71

tutor71 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2014
    Just finished star wars season 5 and I love it!! Loved it so much I had a dream of it. In my dream I saw Ahsoka walking away in the season final but Barriss I wondered what happened to her? I was told she was just executed but I doubt she would be executed immediately and if it was Ahsoka it would be the same. in my dream she was in star wars rebels my guess is she was imprisoned whiting to be executed until “order 66” then recruited for the empire.

Barriss trying to hunt down Jedi/Ahsoka for the empire/vengeance and Ahsoka on the loose that is some great story to see.
    I see a potential villain to try hard and fail and then after long pain can see her true self and switches sides. I like them kind of story's.

like if you agree on story :)

Sudooku likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No unless she is part of the Emperors hand.

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Voted "I don't know" just to stay open-minded, but it really doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Like Darth Maul's return, it'd be the kind of thing that's only worth doing if done right.

4. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Well, with what we now know... they might have existed in Lucas' Star Wars, but it sure looks like they don't exist in Disney's Star Wars. :(

A pox upon the house of Disney. And so on and so forth...

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Actually much like my suggestion for Ahsoka in Rebels. Barriss could be an interesting character for Kannan who seems jaded himself to encounter although even more extreme and no longer would have the impact of being someone we knew used to be alot of sunshine like Ahsoka.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If she took Asoka's place at the trial the end result would be execution. Unless the Jedi following their shame with Asoka and allowing the Republic to militarily try and convict a jedi, they opted to rehabilitated her instead and follow their own religion instead of military show trial.

Or I guess its possible Sidious ordered Vader to release her and she joined up with them against Vader's will as Sidious apparently by Star Wars: Rebels has force trained Darksiders which presumably must be trained by Vader. The Inquisitor's age though, its hard too see this character being trained since he was a child unless some of the younglings were sparred and later indoctrined and altered by Sidious and their training following ROTS 10 years or so has been completed by Vader.

7. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

I'm not so sure. Rebels takes place about 15 or so years about RotS, plenty of time to start training Force sensitive children in the Dark Side without them being a Youngling. He very well could have been a child on Utapau during RotS, and when the Empire began taking over his Force abilities were discovered, prompting the Empire to take him in to be trained and to one day serve them.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    And the surviving Jedi also would've had all that time to start training force younglings themselves to rebuild their forces and fight a guerrilla war and many planets and senators were not pro-Palpatine or Clone Wars.

Sidious needed access to the Jedi holcrons/database inorder to secure youglings for himself, he apparently had not the means to do this himself. So far all of his apprenetices were either purchased or procured on Dathomir or former Jedi Knights(Dooku and Anakin).

Yoda in CW knows that the Jedi were gonna lose the Clone Wars and the Sith were near victory, so am sure he and the council would've taken preemptive measures to secure the future of the Jedi, especially after a break in by some mercenary non force sensitive like Cade Bane. They could've moved it to some secret location offworld and by ROTS the Jedi like Windu and Yoda did not trust Anakin, which I think all the more reason to get all the data they could to safe points.

9. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I say yes, but it needs to contribute to the plot, it can't be like (oh look, Bariss is back, yay!)

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I am one of the few that actually enjoyed the Barriss plot twist. It was, indeed, a brilliant move by Filoni and Lucas, and a fantastic way to end the Saga of the Clone Wars.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

That wasn't the end though; there's still the Lost Missions/Season 6 after that.

12. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    I am well aware. I consider the Fugitive arc and the Lost Missions to be the end of the Clone Wars altogether.

13. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I had no issue with the concept of Barriss being the traitor nor did I have any issues with her motivations in that arc.

What I had issue with was:
    1. Not expanding on her friendship with Ahsoka beyond what was shown in the Geonosis arc. This made Barriss betraying Ahsoka very humdrum and emotionless.

2. Making the fact that she was the traitor very obvious (No seriously how many times can Barriss make "Look at me! I'm clearly guilty of something!" facial expressions in The Jedi Who Knew Too Much?) especially when compared to the other reveals in the show.

3. The clear fact that there was little to no mystery despite the fact that it was a procedural based arc. Barriss being the traitor? No mystery here. Ventress being a red herring? No mystery there either. The fact that Palpatine would use Ahsoka's situation to his advantage? They don't even need to confirm something like that; we all know he would use that to his advantage. Practically all of the stuff, especially the way they handled Barriss's betrayal, in that arc was made painstakingly obvious. The only character role in that arc with any degree of subtlety was Tarkin's primarily because it could be debated whether he actually did think Ahsoka was the criminal or if he was lying about it through his teeth. But any type of mystery and debate of Barriss being the traitor after To Catch A Jedi? Nope.

Look I loved the Fugitive arc as far as voice acting, music, and animation was concerned. The script/dialogue was fine too. But Lucas, Filoni, any of the writers should have expanded on Barriss's friendship with Ahsoka and they should have made her betrayal more subtle. If they did this then maybe there would have been less weak writing/ideas in that arc.

14. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Reading through this thread makes me excited about Rebels. I only saw TCW through a netflix binge watch a few months so there is a lot I must of overlooked. It will be nice to take in Rebels week by week and then discuss it with you fine folks.

As to the topic, I can't imagine Barriss being a major character. If she is in the show she will probably feature in an episode or an arc. The best way they could use her is as a prisoner or as a rogue crusader against the Empire. Either way I imagine she will be a tortured soul if she is still around.

Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi_Kenobi32 : I had more problems with the arc than that, and didn't like it at all, but I agree with everything you mentioned. For an arc that was supposed to be a detective noir type story, the writers certainly didn't make the culprit the least bit mysterious. I kept hoping the week before The Wrong Jedi aired that we were all being played and there would be some nice twist. But nope.

16. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

One other huge issue I have with the arc is that Luminara is not present at all. I would've loved to see her reaction when Barriss is revealed to be the traitor, since she is her padawan.

17. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It would appear the writers retroactively attempted to include at least one such story in the TCW Comics UK, Issue 6.52, with the short story "Paradise Lost." It's a comic strip in a magazine clearly targeted for children.

The gist of the story is that Ahsoka and Barriss go on a mission together to fight off a Separatist invasion of the planet Phorose, and they later find themselves trapped underground from a cave-in caused by CIS attack drones, in a scene not unlike that in Weapons Factory. They find themselves within the burrows of a race of cute, diminutive critters known as the Ru, whom the native Phorosians consider nothing more than vermin, but as it turns out they are sentient and created an underground temple where they worship. The battle droids invade the burrows in search of the Jedi, and Ahsoka successfully fend them off while Barriss evacuates the Ru; however, a cave-in that destroys the droids also obliterates the Ru temple. It is here that Barriss expresses concern for the destruction that the Jedi have caused during the war, in the name of the Republic. It's more or less an extension of her discussions with Ahsoka in Brain Invaders, but one can see her doubts slowly influencing her toward her dark turn in the Fugitive arc. Ahsoka's response contrasts with Barriss', as like her Master she was still fully immersed in the idea that the war must be fought for the greater good, no matter the consequences. Next the two Jedi bring the Ru to Plo Koon's evac point, and tell the clone shuttle pilot to shuttle the Ru off to a safe zone far from civilization. Unfortunately, they are pursued by CIS vulture droids and the ship crashes, and Ahsoka, Barriss and three Ru are apparently the only survivors. :( At the end, Barriss is clearly distraught that their decision cost the lives of so many, and wonders whether guilt is an emotion that a Jedi should be wary of, along with anger, hate, and fear. It's a neat little story, if very simple, and hopefully they continue exploring the relationship between the two Padawans in a more mature story in the future. Especially considering that these comic strips may not be a part of the new canon. "Paradise Lost" was released last October, long before the canon announcement. It's a start, and the story shows that guilt and despair are the primary emotions that likely played a role in Barriss' descent to darkness.

This comic is barely even mentioned on the Wook, so I took some screenshots to show it exists, and of panels that I feel really drove home the point that Barriss really did have the Jedi Order's best interests and ideals in mind, but the tragedies of war ultimately drove her closer and closer to the brink...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully that ambiguous ending suggests that there will be more stories between the two Jedi on the horizon, but who knows?

18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    Circular Logic well a comic strip aimed at kids is better than nothing. However, I was referring strictly to their relationship in the show.

With that being said: Since Disney has declared the EU non-canon and therefore since MedStar Barriss is longer canon maybe one day they'll release a novel or comic series focusing on Barriss before, during, and maybe even after events of the Fugitive arc. It could expand upon her motivations, give the origin of why she became disillusioned with the Jedi, explain why she decided to frame Ahsoka, and of course show more of her friendship with Ahsoka prior to the bombing.

Of course Disney is focusing mostly on the OT (eg: The Tarkin novel, Rebels taking place a few years before the OT) and the ST so it will probably be a while before we see something like that.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be nice. I got the impression all the time that we were supposed to accept that the friendship developed off screen, and just shut up and not ask questions.

It was annoying. Releasing material developing that friendship would attempt to rectify that.

20. TheAvengerButton

Aug 11, 2011
    If you go by the episodes themselves, it really seems that Barriss never really had a high opinion of Ahsoka.

Darth_Pevra and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. Vilnu

Vilnu Jedi Padawan

Aug 1, 2013
    Someone over on Deviantart has recently started a short story that attempts to plausibly explain the gaps in the TCW story of Barris' turn and seems to be doing quite well so far.

Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.
  22. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I hope it isn't yet another Barris-Ahsoka femslash fic.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't click the link but...DeviantArt.

24. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jul 24, 2005
    I actually did read that fanfiction a while back after the Fugitive arc originally aired. It is well written and not like your typical DeviantArt fanfic. I'm glad you recommended it; its a good fic.

Darth Valkyrus don't worry it's not a Barriss/Ahsoka femslash story.

25. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Why not letting Palpatine handing her over to Dooku to make her another assassin in his famous Sith-Academy after he chased Ventress away and Savage flew hin too? Then in the same time homeless Ahsoka becomes the Darling of Darth Maul and both woman meet during a mission carried out by Barriss at Mandalore to weaken the regime of Maul. Puh - I have so many ideas.