main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Boba ever show his face even to someone whom he sleeps with?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

[​IMG]
    Stop it! Just stop it!! Dammit woman, I told you I don't want to hear the details! That's it -- I'm leaving! Happy now??

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought they were business partners, old friends? They had a relationship??? [face_sick]

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Reread the last several chapters of Revelation.

Actually, on second thought, don't do that. No one should have to suffer through that book.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Why, that was just the ultimate cosplayer

Traviss was the one responsible for that? I thought that was a FOTJ thing. It seems her assassination of Fett's character is complete.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Sadly he is to dead to be blamed for this.

Who else that has written SW would even come up with such an idea?

Dr. Steve Brule and Lady_Misty like this.
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I was under the impression that Traviss actually liked Fett, and that he was the only one free from her wrath. Clearly not if she would make him the boytoy of the EU's most depressing running gag.

As for Kast, rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated. All part of the act, you see.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, Traviss randomly threw that into the last few chapters of Revelation, because it wouldn't be a Traviss novel without weird shipping.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    She also happens to like Daala, something not even Anderson does and he came up with the character.

He keeps around 80 kilograms of minced meat on him just in case he has to fake his own death in an explosion? Hmm... actually yeah that sounds like Jodo. [face_thinking]

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, I actually think Revelation isn't a bad book. But I remember nothing about Boba and Daala's relationship being...personal.

10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Nothing is worse than this.

Barriss_Coffee, RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    My eyes. Give me back my eyes.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    This part, I always assumed the Mandalorians didn't know Boba and Daala had worked together, not that they'd been..."together."

13. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Well stone me for this, but I liked Traviss perfectioning of Fett and showing his other sides that nobody got to see in other works but that certainly did exist. She did not change him but perfectly tie all versions of him together. I like her writing style, sure she got her issues and favoritisms but all in all she rocks as an author. I miss her in the EU.
    Boba with Daala sure was weird, especially since he was so close to getting Sintas back.. and had her back when he did Daala all over again. But it makes sense too kinda, given Sintas being too young kinda, preserved in carbonite. still it is weird, sure. and a lot is sad for him and his life. but I liked that component added with Sintas, their teenager years, their tragedy later on etc.

Also, despite Daalas insanities and issues, I like some of her characterisations and character logic. She did change a lot over the years and kept some attitudes but that is progress I'd say. Ultimately she did not change enough, but neither stick to a stereotype anymore too. a good thing in my opinion.

sure the overall feel of the scenes and story and road the EU has taken is not optimal, but the details and individual elements that is composed of I do love. SW can't be same same all over again with people not changing, so progress makes sense.. in whatever direction it goes ;)

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

They exist in a whole collection of comics and short stories, as well as in novels like the Han Solo Triology and even the sometimes pretty terrible Bounty Hunter Wars.

Not until Traviss pulled her out of nowhere and made her some supposedly god send person in Revelation.

A Practical Man is perfect in how badly she missed the mark with it and forces her whole Mandoism on him out of nowhere, whilst he could not have cared less for any of it for all of his 56 years before that, sure you can make it a “dying man finding his religion” thing, expect for that Boba already had his convictions and morals set very straight before that. She could have thrown this stuff at any Mando character she came up with on the spot and it would fit better and be less insulting to the Boba stories told before.

Also her murdering Ailyn for no good reason (something she does to a lot of characters in LOTF) is outright wtf especially so she can just get replaced with a replacement daughter for Boba which he can brainwash so she doesn’t hate him like Ailyn and Sintas (who gets boxed and memory wiped for hating Boba). Boba does not even actually take revenge for it, no he delegates it to a Jedi, whilst he is busy mucking about making sure Mandalore gets wiped from the galaxy once again. Also the whole whitewashing of Bobas past got outright painful in Revelations.

Dr. Steve Brule and Lady_Misty like this.
  15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Traviss can't write pre-existing characters unless they were minimally characterized in the first place. Her versions of Boba Fett, Pellaeon, Spar, Daala, Lumiya, and the Skywalker-Solos were completely divorced from the majority of their prior characterization. She doesn't develop characters organically, she just rewrites them the way she wants them to be. There's a difference between exploring a side of a character we've never seen before and abruptly transforming Boba Fett into a lovesick patriot with sixty-year-old daddy issues and a heart of gold, imo.

To be fair I think Boba Fett-as-Mandalore started with Luceno in TUF (although his characterization was completely off in that book too) and then Abel expanded on it in "History of the Mandalorians." I don't think it's a terrible idea in concept, although I don't understand why Traviss still has him bounty hunting decades after he retired and started Mandaloring full-time, but the way it was handled wasn't very interesting or organic.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Wha-de-whade-WHAT?!

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Though funny enough History of the Mandalorians makes Fett taking up the role sound like a complete exception, as well as the Protectors actually fighting somewhere other than in the Mando Space, as well as hinting at Fett dropping the Mandalore title as soon as possible.

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

LOTF is a series all authors planned. So do not blame all on her just because that fragment ended up in her book ;) Allston even confessed that some killideas were his! Even if some started as a joke :p

I too critique that Fett never learned Mando'a.. that was stupid. Cause his freaking SLAVE 1 has control systems that only show Mando'a letters which he did read as a young boy in AOTC ;) so I am not praising it all my friend.

I agree that Ailyns death was very sad. And that I was surprised to Fetts reaction. But in the end ultimately Fett was Mandalore then and could not go on personal vendettas anymore without endangering his people.. bringing down the Jedi or GA on Mandalore is not wise. He chose the right thing, enact his vengance through a proxy. it worked.

Critique on that would be like people being upset that Wedge no longer flies in a cockpit but turned General in an office. And nobody did that as far as I am aware of.

As for whitewashing the past. I loved his past explored in Bloodlines. Revelation sure was not the best book for him and his history, see my not amused rant about him sleeping with Daala despite having Sintas back.

Travis excells at writing preexistant characters especially cause I really loved her characterisation of Jacen, Jaina etc. and others when she gave us insight into them. Spot on for me most of the time. Talking Bloodlines here that is. Sacrifice and Revelations are not up to Bloodlines greatness, but still not as bad as some people claim. But I acknowlade several issues and even I was not happy with sacrifice and revelation. but large chunks of them I too enjoyed.

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yes, but Wedge grumbles about being a desk jockey and spends as much time as he can piloting, or at least commanding a ship, until he retires.

Fett being a wise and noble Mandalore, leading them to a glorious rebirth, would be more like Wedge deciding to run for an office in the GFFA Senate or something. Boba Fett before Traviss was a pragmatic loner with a code of honor, who used so called allies to further his own ends without their knowledge or consent.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh you can tell, it got so bad Dennig and Traviss were outright making fun of each other between the lines. :rolleyes:

They must have really had no ideas on what to write then, if even stupid jokes serve as plot points.

What? That’s just outright stupid, Slave 1 was not even a Mando ship, hell I am surprised they even have an Alphabet, though from the look of it is just stolen Aurebesh letters anyway and Mandos properly use basic words for technical terms anyway ;).

Yeah so he makes sure to endanger them in other ways like murdering the elected ruler of Corellia. :rolleyes:

Thing is Wedge has been a general for a long time and is known as a skilled tactician (the thing he did in the NJO and in the later years of the Civil War). Fett has no skill at running a government or politics whatsoever, even for the “we do what we want anyway and are totally decentralised” utopia the Mando supposedly are, the funny thing is he even proves how inept he is at it by his actions, but Traviss still right him as supposedly making the best decisions ever.

I recall Mara being so badly ooc it hurts badly, very badly. Also the whole spoiled Jedi Princess for Jaina was so out there you wonder if Traviss even realized that Jaina spent just about every day in her life since she was 16 fighting in wars and skirmishes.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

I recall Mara being so badly ooc it hurts badly, very badly. Also the whole spoiled Jedi Princess for Jaina was so out there you wonder if Traviss even realized that Jaina spent just about every day in her life since she was 16 fighting in wars and skirmishes.[/quote]

I've heard about this a lot. I'm really curious about it: how bad did it get? What did the two make fun of about each other?

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    may I remind you Wedge held office.. in the corellian government as Minister of Defense ;) so he kinda did that! so your point being?

Fett still is a loner and outsources most Mandalore work to his new best Mando boyfriend. Still his decisions affect an entire civilisation now. So there is a perfect match between his loner and new head of state role.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Denning vs. Traviss.. I noticed.. she killed Jedi, he killed Mandos. Well, we all are human and work reflects real live.

Nono the Mando'a in Slave 1 is canon.. look it up. It is in the visual dictionaries, guides, everywhere. That even was mandalorian alphabet befoer Traviss ever joined the EU as per making of notes in the making of and art of books !

Well murdering the elected ruler of Corellia... it was Thrackan... and corellian ruler = killspot anyway as of recently. So guess corellians elect those as ruler they want disposed of :p

Mara out of character in Sacrifice: I agree. Jaina though worked fine.. Jaina is seen too whitewashed by fans anyway. And I am a Jaina fan. I just dislike what they did with her as a killer without turning to the dark side.

PS: Fans often critique stuff they do not like.. that does not mean it is out of character. It can be reasonable, just not expected or wanted. Please differentiate between that and stuff that really is out of character because often the confusion of that creates problems that are none actually.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Cabinet Minister position is a bureaucratic/command posting, not a political office.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Oh Denning had a great time making fun of Mandos and slaughtering them by the Dozens, also he actually made sure Boba could never ever go back to Mandalore by having the planet bombed with a virus that attacked Fett DNA, which means all those left over Clones from Republic Comics Traviss so loved are supposed dead, but then Traviss of course claimed in 501st that no they won’t because the Imps for some reason had used a variation of some 60 year old virus developed by the Sepis against which her beloved Clones had been inculcated and of course the immunity carried over to children born of them, or some such BS, ask someone who read 501st for details.

Minister of Defense is at least something related to his skills. ;)

Then make him the f.... Mandalore if he is already doing the job anyway and just have Fett hang out there if he has to.

And he shows to utterly suck at it. I mean small scale commando leader or something I can imagine him being good at, but not leader of a people or galactic politics, in which he clearly is not good in. It is like Bossk suddenly deciding to become a Jedi Knight. [face_dunno]

I know I know it is still utterly hü?!

He Sal Solo was popular at home, otherwise why would he keep getting elected even after his stint with the Brigade. Which he btw. only did to protect Corellia. :p

Yeah, Denning doesn’t seem to keen on ROTJ Redemption ideas. On the other hand did we really want Young Vader running around as a second Kyp Durron? I mean he would have needed to go into hiding on Kathol or something to avoid getting hunted down, though the divide caused by this would actually have been a better set up for FOTJ... [face_thinking]

Why the hell am I even thinking of LOTF and FOTJ again?!?!

*grabs his Legacy TPBs and reads something fun*