main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Chewbacca have died?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TalonHawk, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I think so, but who would of saves Finn/Rey... Well next time. ;)

2. HyMay1180

HyMay1180 Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2015
    I think a piece of him died with Han Solo, but physically I hope they don't off him...I can't take anymore death to my heroes. How long do Wookie's live anyway?

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    No, Chewie should never die. Ever.

Also he was one of the best characters in this movie. He's practically the big Kahuna now. Everyone looks up to him, figuratively and literally. Well maybe besides Leia. Heck, Han might have been holding him back.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "patience viceroy, he will die."

5. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    Chewie's not going anywhere!

(please writers lol)

6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Being non-human, meaning no human is playing the character and can age out, so Chewie, like R2 and 3PO will live on...

-C

appleseed likes this.
  7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Exactly. Killing Chewie would just be incredibly stupid. Wookies have long life spans, they already have a new actor handling him in the action scenes and doing well, and unfortunately Peter won't be able to don the suit forever. Killing him, R2, 3PO or BB8 would be dumb.

clone3131 likes this.
  8. VibrantCybran

VibrantCybran Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2013
    Yes, I would have killed him off. There are too many characters to focus on, without having to worry about giving Chewie, 3PO and R2 some screen time just because they "have" to be in there. It would have been incredible if Chewie (after seeing Han killed) was surrounded by Stormtroopers and took a pile of them out before finally being overwhelmed and killed. Chewie and Han came into this story together, and they should have left it together.

9. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Definitely not in TFA. Maybe in the next film or two but right now it's too soon, not to mention the deaths of two classic/original trilogy characters would be too much. I'd rather not ever see him die but taking Peter Mayhew's advancing age into account I could see it being a real possibility somewhere down the line.

10. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    And don't forget the Millennium Falcon! Some people wanted Chewie and Han to Kamikaze it into some ship or something!

At first I thought they would eventually kill off Chewie because of Peters health and age. However it looks like they are already doing a gradual hand off:

29-year-old Joonas Suotamo
    [​IMG]

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Chewie should definitely not have died in TFA, and I hope we don't see him die in 8 or 9 either.

Dra--- and HellasLEAF-Jedi like this.
  12. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I don't want him to die, in the old EU he got a moon dropped on him, and since the writers won't give the Skywalker a reprieve, I hope he gets one. It'd already angry fan reaction at the deat hof Han, everyone would lose it if Chiewie dies (again).

13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Absolutely against Chewie dying. I loved him more in this film than in any other SW film, which is saying something. I like him being Rey's co-pilot on the Falcon in the next films.

Dobradoompa likes this.
  14. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    No. I imagine that he will be out for revenge in Episode VIII; maybe he will get a fight scene with Ben.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    Good point. The fandom never really got over Chewie's EU death.

light_sabe_r likes this.
  16. JediDrunk

JediDrunk Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2015
    If he died trying after ripping one of Kylo Ren's arms off It would have been alright.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I get where you're coming from. I hope they go a different way. I'm seeing Chewy as just now coming into his own in Star Wars after the death of Han. He's his own Wookie now. He might go around with Finn and Rey for a bit. He might be with Luke. He can do his own thing. Maybe he gets a robot arm. There is so much Chewy can do now. He might be no more than Admiral Ackbar in some of the movies. There are big things and small things coming up for Chewbacca in the future I hope that we can all enjoy. He's such a great character and truly he is ageless.

18. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    No. Chewbacca forever.

19. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I thought Chewie's grief and "rage" was more than appropriate. The only thing missing were arms being ripped off. You could see (and hear) the worry Chewie felt for Han as he walked out on the bridge, but then his REACTION was what I would expect from Mayhew (or the new double)

I loved Chewie in this movie. He was perfect!

So no - Chewie shouldn't have died!

and I'm not keen on him dying in this trilogy either.

20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    No. Chewie was one of the best things about the movie. Not only did he have a lot to do. His interplay with Han and the range of actions and emotion he shows sees him have a more integral role than he ever has before. I think they did a good job of improving him in this film.

Dobradoompa and Dra--- like this.
  21. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    No, you monster.

Chewie stepped out of Han's shadow in TAF, even before Han died. He had more personality in this than in all the other movies combined. The only thing he lacked was a bit more grief after the death of his old friend. One quick sulking shot and one shot of him walking straight past Leia didn't feel right.
    I hope he's not sacrificed in this trilogy, let him grow as his own character. Rey speaks wookie. Keep them together.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I can see how they might kill him off at some point, but I wouldn't. He adds something that other characters just don't, almost like he's a stand in for certain audience emotions and reactions. I guess R2 and BB8 play that role too, but Chewie can express our rage better.

Plus, he's an alien who lives a few hundred years, right? No hurry to kill him off.

I also don't see any great replacement alien team members waiting to step in.

EHT and Norminator like this.
  23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Killing Han was tough, if they had killed Chewie too, that'd have been too much in one movie. I get the OP's idea, but no.....I think he can do more with Rey and Leia.

24. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    yes there is no reason to kill Chewie. Even from a business standpoint. He is highly marketable and his character lives for hundreds of years and is played by a guy in a suit. WHY KILL HIM?

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Chewie shouldn't die, you can pair him with Finn or Rey in the next films, whoever has the Falcon really.

I hope it's Rey, I absolutely loved her character and she seems a natural fit with the Falcon.

A jedi with the coolest ship in the galaxy? Please make it so.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.