main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Chewie come back?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Oct 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Should Chewie be resurrected? I figure that since there was no body, there's a chance he might have made it out alive. He might be stuck in some small piece of the planet, floating around out in space.

2. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Aw, not this again :(

3. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Small problem with that. When the moon hit Sernpidal it compressed the atmosphere to the point where it ignited. Second, a moon hit the planet, and what atmosphere was left after the fire storm would surely be lost as the planet's gravitational field had changed and reduced (same problem with Mars, for example, the planet does not have enough mass to sustain an atmosphere). So in the unlikely event that Chewie survived the impact then the atmosphere igniting, he would not have survived afterwards because the planet would have lost most of its breathable air. Plus, the moon came down practically on top of Chewie's head. Even if it wasn't directly 'on' him, it doesn't matter. It'd be like living in St. Paul if our own Luna were to strike Minneapolis. Dead is dead.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Chewie is more than dead. Imagine an ant crawling on a huge anvil. Now image that there's a huge warhammer which head has been superheated to the point where the very air around it combusts. This hammer smashes that anvil where the ant is crawling. Dead is dead, but we're talking total obliteration here. The scale of my analogy doesn't even begin to approach what happened to Chewie.

5. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    I just hope they don't make a clone of him. Now, that would really screw things up.

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    You really miss polls, aren't ya ?

7. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    This has been brought up before. To put it simply, the answer is no. Chewie's death served to destroy the illusion that characters were invincible. The loss of that illusion, the destruction of that bubble, has helped to fuel all of NJO since. If he comes back, it will make it seem like the past two years of books were just a dream. I'd feel ripped off.

8. ganner_rhysode

Jul 7, 2001
    Yeah it'd be a huge insult to the reader
    base.

9. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    No. But I think Jimmy should be. Chewie's death was fitting. But it was not time for Jimmy to die.

10. ganner_rhysode

Jul 7, 2001
  11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Chewie's death was handled great. Bringing him back now would be an insult to him.

12. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    i cant say that his death itself was handled great but the events afterward with Han's emotions and actions...

it would to big of an insult to bring him back.. even though i wasnt him to be back.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I would hate any return of the Wook. He's dead, they've had the funeral, Han's had enough grief.

14. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Nope. I hope they stick to their guns with Chewie and make sure that he doesn't come back.

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Don't bring anyone back.

I don't mind characters coming back from the dead under certain circumstances, usually when a highest power has planned out the entire thing beforehand. Gandalf coming back in LOTR and UnCat in ASOS are two examples that spring to mind.

But generally bringing characters back from the dead is a bad idea.

16. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    n00bie

wk

17. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    Chewie's death was a farce, a real joke....plastered by a moon. That was a horrible way to lose a major character.

Doesn't really fit with the opening Star Wars comment.

They were in the worng place at the wrong time....naturally they became heros!!

In Chewies case....RAS must have through like this.....Chewie was in the worng place at the wrong time..Naturally, he became, well, he became dead. yes dead, by a falling moon, that will work nicely. What a Joke!

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It was neither a joke nor Salvatore's decision.

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
  20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Gandolf...
    "But generally bringing characters back from the dead is a bad idea."

But that's assuming that certain characters are dead to begin with. If no one ever died, then they wouldn't have to be brought back from death. ;)

21. dark_jedi

dark_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2001
    chewie is one with the dark side now!

22. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Okay, now that we've got that figured out,
    [and I've been marked as an idiot] The question is, should another Wookiee come on the scene?

23. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Wookies rock!
    'nuff said.

24. DemolitionBoy

DemolitionBoy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2001
    He should come back as one with the Force. Like at the end of RoTJ. But so everyone can see him, or maybe just Han...

25. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Wookies are cool...but in one book, they shouldn't just open with, "Han's NEW and IMPROVED wookie copilot Ryneranbacca..."

That would be BAD. I liked Droma, but he definitley suffered from wookie replacement syndrome. Leia works as hans copilot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.