JCC Should crack be legal?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Dec 8, 2012.

?

Should crack be legal?

Yes 5 vote(s) 15.2%
No 28 vote(s) 84.8%
  1. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    We also came up with equally dangerous things like science, learning, discovery, economics, politics, etc...
  2. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Religion, the opiate of the masses.

I am not so sure that's what Even was referring to though.
  3. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Meth maybe?

Let's play "guess what Even meant"!

You get 20 questions, step right up.
    Last edited by Violent Violet Menace, Dec 10, 2012
  4. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    yeah it was meth. seriously i need to just write guidebooks to the boards for the rest of you
  5. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    How many people do you reckon do meth and say, "oh god"?

Thank YOU, sir.
  6. THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master

star 2
    I think there should be a test that everyone who takes crack or wants to take crack needs to undergo. Can they survive if they do a bungee jump without the bungee? If they can, then let them go nuts and stay the £%^& outta their way.
  7. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Yeah, because ignoring the problem totally makes it go away, and stuff.
  8. George Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The JCC?
  9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    This is pretty much how I feel.

Actually, I didn't intend to relate this to abortion at all, but I understand why you would think that.

I'm actually very supportive of the principle of "my body, my choice", especially in cases of genital mutilation, contraceptives, alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs.

I wouldn't call this a legitimately held conviction. I definitely think tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana should be legal, very strongly. I feel like the net negative of having a black market for harder drugs is probably worse than the net negative of having them legal. Definitely open to other opinions, though.
  10. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    This model ignores the critical fact that drugs, by their very nature, grossly distort the decision-making capacity of the individual with regards to continued usage.
  11. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    legalizing crack would be lol. shortest span of time between passage and repeal EVER - the crack legalization act.

law-l
  12. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Your concerns are quite well-founded. As I indicated earlier in the thread, my views on this subject are quite tentative and certainly open to re-evaluation. (For some levity, here's a great Cracked.com article for the breathless "legalize all drugzz!!!11!" crowd that thinks doing so would be the panacea to all of society's ills). The problem as I see it is that we have this incredibly broad umbrella term for any substance that affects consciousness--"drugs"--that completely elides the wildly disparate risks and potential benefits that different drugs present. This is a very complex issue, and I think the discourse about it and policies ought to be commensurately complex. Public policy, however, incorporates virtually none of these distinctions, and the continued justification of the War on Drugs must subsequently fall back on outright, transparent, falsehoods (Marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug, meaning it's at least as dangerous as cocaine--really?). In addition, I think the current approach is pragmatically counter-productive in at least two respects. One, it lends a sort of alluring, "forbidden fruit" aura to drugs that makes acquiring and using them more appealing to rebellious adolescents, and two, and far more significantly, I think our relentless persecution and prosecution of drug users keeps drug users from rising out of the economic despair that makes habitual use of these substances so alluring as a crutch in the first place.
    Last edited by Condition2SQ, Dec 10, 2012
  13. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The only good John Cheese column I've ever read.
  14. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'll never forget when we had an open mic in the quad at my junior college when the California legalization measure was on the ballot. One moron went up to the stage and cheerfully asked "Okay, how many of you out there, by a show of hands, have driven drunk? Okay, now, how many of you have driven high? I've done both, and driving high was clearly less dangerous".

Ugh.
    Last edited by Condition2SQ, Dec 10, 2012
  15. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    That's clearly fake, everyone know crackhead's don't have any money to pay for crack.
  16. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    The minute I change my avatar from the Picard facepalm this thread pops up. [face_sigh]