PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. darthanku Jedi Knight

star 1
    well i just saw t.p.m. for the millionth time and asked my self darth maul a very pathetic way,should he have died on naboo?i mean he oblivously saw obi-wan jump slowly out of danger and could have saved himself by blocking the stomach attack.
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Panesar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Darth Maul should never have died. In my opinion it should have went like this:
    Darth Maul kills Qui Gon and flees Obi Wan
    He returns in ATOC and fights along side Dooku against Anakin and Obi
    Finally, Maul, Dooku, Greivious, Vader and Sidious should have had a final show down against Plo Koon, Mace, Ki Adi, Obi and Yoda.
    Jedi loose, Yoda and Obi escape. Leaving the sith. Vader and Sidious then betray the rest and kill Maul, Dooku and Greivious.

But off course looking at the story now i'm way off.

So, in my opinion. No, he shouldn't have died.
    whostheBossk likes this.
  3. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    He served his purpose, IMO.
    SerRoel likes this.
  4. Crow_T_Robot Force Ghost

star 3
    Panesar: "Always two there are. No more, no less."
  5. Bjork Jedi Master

star 4
    One of the main difficulties with the PT is that it's purpose is to further the storyline to where the OT begins - because of this Lucas can't have too many villains running around only to abruptly kill them all off in the last minutes of Episode III to fit ANH. I think Maul's death had to happen to make way for Dooku and Palpatine/Sidious, plus Vader of course. ;)
  6. darthanku Jedi Knight

star 1
    well if (of course he already died) he died,then he should of died some other way.he did die a pathetic way.have to admit.because what obi did was very slowly push himself up then sliced down in the middle of maul.he could have blocked it.
  7. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    "Slowly"? he was fast as hell!
  8. darthanku Jedi Knight

star 1
    he was really slow coming out of that hole and darth maul could easily block that attack!
  9. darthanku Jedi Knight

star 1
    besides,obi_wan was not fast as hell.i would have to say that he was fast enough to get out but to slow for darth maul to start attacking again!!!
  10. JediPriestess Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope. Id have rather had Maul remain Sideous' apprentice until Anakin could take him out. Dooku does nothing for me.
    On another note do the banners in this part of the baords (TPM) never change?
  11. Ryloth_bounty_hunter Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes, least favorite character. :p
  12. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Darth Maul was impressive. But I think he did all he could do. It was important to see how the great Obi-Wan Kenobi that we knew from the Original Trilogy became a Jedi Knight and so Maul was used for that purpose, I think.
  13. Qu_Klaani Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the fact that people so badly want more Darth Maul shows how succesful Lucas was in creating the character. If he'd survived and ended up in AOTC then maybe he wouldnt be much of a fan favourite.
  14. newwillorder Jedi Knight

star 2
    I love Darth Maul but I like the idea of him dying in that it parallels what happens in Episode IV. I can't take credit for this following illustration because I saw it in another thread on another board, so whoever thought this up, thanks!

Episode I - Darth Maul dies leaving Sidious by himself.
    Episode IV - Obi-wan dies leaving Luke by himself.

Episode II - Dooku is now Sidious' apprentice.
    Episode V - Yoda is now Luke's master.

Episode III - No spoilers here, but come on, we all know what happens.
    Episode VI - Yoda dies, leaving Luke and Leia as the last Jedi.

In the prequel trilogy, Sidious keeps losing his apprentices and in the classic trilogy, Luke keeps losing his masters. It's also funny to see the "rule of two" unofficially being used by the Jedi to defeat the Sith, the same way the Sith used it to defeat the Jedi.
  15. darthanku Jedi Knight

star 1
    well i am saying is that mual was so cool i think he should have stayed.
  16. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Yes, he should've died. He fulfilled the functions for which he was created. There was no need to keep him around.

TPM: "Darth Maul needed depth. We should've been told about his motivations, his backstory, etc."

AOTC: "Giving Boba Fett a backstory totally ruins his mystique. He was so much cooler when we knew nothing about him."
    Valairy Scot likes this.
  17. Shiro Jedi Knight

star 3
    I always liked the idea of Darth Maul somehow escaping then returning in AOTC as sort of a rival for Obi-Wan....then again, what do I know? =P~
    Sitara and SithStarSlayer like this.
  18. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    jerome is correct, in tpm we needed to see how skilled Obi-Wan is in handling a lightsaber, so what better way then a Sith, who is talented enough to kill off Jedi. The same applies to aotc, where we have to see just how far Anakin is developing his skills. As w/ much of the pt, episode iii will be the payoff.
    Lee_ likes this.
  19. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
    As much as I love Maul and all. He had to die in order for Obi-Wan to train Anakin and so he could become a Jedi Knight.
  20. Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Knight

star 3
    I personally think that if they were gonna get rid of a character that early in the series, get rid of Dooku and keep Maul. He just seemed so much more deadly and intimidating.
  21. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Yes he should of died but he deserved a decent death...which he didn't get.
  22. YPL Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think he should have, but get a funny image trying to image Maul uniting the Sepertists in AOTC.
  23. DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I personally think that if they were gonna get rid of a character that early in the series, get rid of Dooku and keep Maul. He just seemed so much more deadly and intimidating.

Maul was all brawn and no brain. He would've never been able to replace Dooku in Palp's schemes. He died because of his over confidence. Just look at the fight. He focus's on Qui Gon, ingnoring Obi wan as if to say "I'm to good to fight a Padawan" and that's exactly what got him killed. He would not have been a good leader and that's what Palp's needs to have his plot come off.
  24. STRIKE Jedi Knight

star 2
    He is unique to Episode I which is a good thing in a way, cause there's not a lot people like about the film. Personaly I think it's a cool film
  25. Clear_Water Jedi Knight

star 1
    In a perfect world, George would've written all 3 at once - the whole big battle would have happened a little earlier in the movie and we would have *seen* Dooku leave the Jedi Order and join Sidious. Maul could've been deadlier and more proactive that way, dogging out heroes at every turn - his death would have had more impact that way.

However, TPM is my favorite episode so far, that isn't meant as criticism.
Moderators: Bazinga'd