main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Anakin should've defeated Maul in an aggressive and violent way, which Sidious would've bared witness to. Good..good. I can feel your anger

2. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Considering I don't normally agree with you Jcuk, I'm fully with you on this one! Dooku as a military officer fulfilling the same role, Maul as the continuing Sith character.

Imagine Obi Wan vs Anakin vs Maul at the beginning of RotS? Obi Wan fighting for the vengeance of Qui-Gon once more... Amazing!

Sitara likes this.
  3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't mind Dooku being a force user, I just don't think he should have used lightning,

it made Sidious using it in ROTS redundant and "eh..so what?"

4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Or maybe just Obi Wan avenging the memory Qui-Gon? The whole 'and so we meet again' thing.

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I always felt like the lightning should have been unique to Palpatine

Sitara and eht13 like this.
  6. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I agree,

especially after seeing ROTS,

or if Lucas really wanted Dooku to use it then have Sidious do something even better in the third film

as it is it kinda makes the "POWER UNLIMITED POWER" not as awe inspiring as it should have been, I was half expecting Anakin to quip "I've seen that before you know"

Sitara and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.
  7. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    There's a lot I didnt quite 'adhere' to with Dooku but that's for another thread.

8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm sorry but, refresh my memory. Where had Anakin seen force lightning before Dooku used it on him? I take it your referring to AOTC?

9. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    no I'm talking about when Palpatine uses it on Mace in ROTS :p

10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Despite that. Apart from Sidious in all 6 episodes and Vader in the OT, I think the Sith have been poorly represented in the saga as a whole. It was almost like Darth Sidious's search for a half decent apprentice in the PT.

11. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Well it's not like he can advertise it;
    Position vacant: sith junior role,
    Essential : Force sensitivity,leaning for the darkside.
    Desirable : Jedi experience or ruthless killing machine.
    Apply to.......it's a secret. But it's NOT the supreme chancellor, repeat NOT!!

Darth Venator, lbr789 and mes520 like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Part of that may have been by design from Palpatine though. Despite the whole Rule of Two, I don't think he really wanted an apprentice who could ever actually kill him and become the new master. Maul had a use. Dooku had a use. They both fit into his plan at the time that they were most appropriate for. Now with Anakin, he might have meant it when he said "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us", but we don't really know if he believed at that point (pre-Mustafar) whether it was true of if he was just trying to mess with Yoda. I don't think he thought Luke could ever replace him either, just that Luke could replace Vader. Ultimately, I think Palpatine's intentions were always to stay in power for as long as possible... not to be replaced by anyone until he was basically ready to die of old age.

lbr789 likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    What I was trying to say was that rather than having 'this' apprentice and then the next film 'that' apprentice why not have a solid, strong apprentice through both films right up to the point when he realises he's 'got' Anakin, and then personally kill that apprentice. Like a sacrifice. Just a thought.

14. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    That'd work for me, but i'd have Anankin do the killing, almost as a Sith trial to fulfil the apprentice position.
    Anakin killing Maul would also have a vengence element to it, as regards to Qui-Gon.

15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah I agree with your apprentice position idea totally. But Anakin was too young to have any supposed hate to want to avenge Qui-Gon. He wasn't mature enough emotionally to have that desire with in him. On Qui-Gon dying he simply said,'so what is to become of me now?'

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    There are some aspects of the Dooku character that I liked. I think that in many ways Dooku forshadows Vader. The deep voice the tall commanding presense. The style of dress, the elegant fighting style. The elegant nature of the character in general sort of evokes the James Earl Jones version of Vader. There are many visual cues there that evoke Vader.

Coupled with the Grievous character, which evokes the mechanical nature of Vader, the combination of these two characters is Vader.

In some ways those characters fail as well, especially Grievous. But there are aspects I like.

eht13 likes this.
  17. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    I was meaning in RotS as if Maul had been included until that point (after all that is the thread). Dooku could still be included just not in the same role, possibly in a similar way that Grevious was.

18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah but despite that, what true purpose has Anakin got for avenging Qui-Gonn? Obi wan had been his master for many years to that 'theoretical' point. Qui-Gon was a distant, childhood memory. Not something that would've been pertinent to Anakin.

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    That idea was banded about. That Dooku and Grievous both mirrored what Anakin would become. But why have that? What the bad guy can't be an individual? He's gotta be some echo of what the main protagonist is destined to become? That didnt wash as far as I was concerned. Almost like Vader was a contrived villain rather than the ultimate bad mutha******!!!

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I have a harder time with the Grievous character. I'm OK with Dooku, at least on his own. I do hate that name though

21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    IMO the fact he only appeared in ROTS proves he was only conceived as an idea late on in the scheme of things. Otherwise he was pointless. He wasn't part of the grand scheme. (If there was one, which I personally doubt)

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree, he served little purpose.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really wish he did. He would've been amazing to see in AOTC & ROTS.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Exactly. And it harpers back to the original point that I think Sidious should've been the one to 'waste' Maul in front of Anakin.

25. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    Was he not designed as a Boba Fett or Jabba style character to show that the threat wasn't just from Empire/Sith? I did think he was a pointless story ark though, designed to link into TCW series and sell merchandise was his main purpose wasn't it?!