main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. DeadDooku

DeadDooku Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    Darth Maul was a gimic to sell toys. He is a kiddie villain. Vader always had depth. Sidious has depth, and yes Dooku does as well. Maul more interesting than Dooku? Please! A mindless killer is more interesting than a fallen Jedi trained by Yoda himself? Dooku would own Maul in a battle if not by saber then certainly in the force

2. Jedi_Nexus

Jedi_Nexus Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2003
    It would be cool to see a mature Anakin fight Darth Maul. [face_devil] That would have been one for the ages! Not like the slow fights from the OT. [face_tired]

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah has anyone noticed that the Jedi duels get better with each film? Imagine what Ep.III would be like if the opening duel was Ani/Obi vs. Maul instead of Ani vs Dooku. THAT one would one for the ages.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Lucas should have not have killed him off.

5. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    I liked Maul, but he simply had to die. Dooku has to be able to become Sidious' apprentice to lead the Seperatists. I don't remeber who, but someone posted that he was all brawn and no brain and that's pretty true. Can you imagine maul leading the Seperatists?

And for those who continue to complain about how Obi-Wan kills Maul: I agree that it would be cooler if Maul blocked the hit and they continued to fight, but still have Obi-Wan win-we needed to see how skillful Obi-Wan is.

However, I don't mind how he died. It proves how Sithly he is-he was overconfident, thinking he had Obi-Wan and that Obi-Wan couldn't possibly escape. So when Obi-Wan, an apprentice I might add, Force jumped while bringing the saber to him at the same time Maul was too shocked to react.

So that's what I think...ta!

6. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    maul was so sweet. however, he didn't have anything interesting about him to keep him in the movies, aside from the fact he was a warrior. as much as i would have liked for him to return in aotc or rots, he really didn't have a purpose beyond tpm.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I could see him leading the separatists as easily as Lucas can General Grievous. ;)

8. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    [image=http://cargobay.starwars.com/books/comics/specials/159307311901.jpg]

9. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    An easy way to keep darth maul alive would be that when Obi wan was force pushed by maul into the pit, just make Darth Maul leave the room. He'd think he pushed obi wan to his death...when maul leaves the room the camera pans down and lets the audience know that obi wan is alive.

Obi wan gets out and still gets the message from Qui Gon. Then Darth Maul realises its to late to destroy the queen. the battle droids are already shut down and the queen has gotten a hold of the vicroy.

So he leaves....Then an extra scene could be added where Maul meets up with sidious saying how he had failed. Sidious says something like "That matter no longer conserns me...i have a new mission for you. (something hinting at maul will start being the leader of the seperatis union. but not to specific to give away episode 2 stuff.)

but point being is he could of stayed alive and been the leader of the union (Maul could be the leader...he's not stupid....what is it impossible to be a bad a@@ and smart?)

this way the fight at the end of AOTC would have ALOT more meaning.

Obi wan: "anakin we'll take him together...dont rush him...you dont know what he's capable of" (knowing that maul killed obi wans master)

and maul will defeat obi like dooku did and yoda would come in and show finally that someone can compete with darth maul seeing as how obi and anakin would of been beat by him.

And in episode 3 when anakin beats him then it will show just how powerful anakin is, seeing as how no one other then yoda could compete with darth maul.

just my thought :)

Sitara likes this.
  10. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    That's an interesting scenario, but none of it explains why Darth Maul should've remained alive.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thank goodness Darth Maul died--he served no purpose and was a tatooed ugly joke, compared to Tyranus and Vader.

12. ObiWanKaitobi4

ObiWanKaitobi4 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    Darth Maul was awesome, it would have been interesting to see what would happen if he didn't die, I bet there would me more lightsaber fights, and his lightsaber was pretty neat. But, I think Obi-Wan needed to kill him to sort of show that he was able to train Anakin. And Darth Maul killed Qui-Gon and he couldn't just walk away without a fight. So, yes I think he should have died.

13. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    He was cool, But not needed he didn't show any story behind him.

14. CETS4491

CETS4491 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2004
    i say he shouldnt of been cut in half because i would wanna see him in ROTS that would be cool because they would think he was dead sooo......you know

15. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Darth Maul could have survived and lived on to Episode II. But he had to die. Obi-1 becoming a Jedi Knight was why Maul had to die.

16. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    Should darth maul have died?

In my opinion, yes.

17. DarthRodriqueeze

DarthRodriqueeze Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    if darth maul had died, how could dooku be a sith? wait a minute
    I gotta question... if ventress (from clone wars ) isn't a sith what is she. she got a red saber but there can only be 2 sith (sids and dooku)

18. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    IMO, Darth Maul should not have died. He should have become the Darth Vader of the Prequels. Not a charismatic leader, but rather one who rules by fear. For the one who unites the Separatists, I would not use him, but rather use Tarkin, to explain why he is so powerful in ANH ("I should've expected to find you holding Vader's leash"). Maul could've been the general of the Separatist armies, much like Grievous (except with Maul around there'd be no need for Grievous). Instead, he was killed in a totally unconvincing manner and we get an old man who makes this tiresome chain of Yoda>Dooku>Qui-Gon>Obi-wan>Anakin. I'm sorry, but as a Dark Lord of the Sith Dooku did nothing for me. I didn't find him at all frightening or compelling; he was just another guy. And he is one of the only characters in any of the SW movies that couldn't do the fight scenes with his actor; the face had to be digitally mapped onto a stunt double. Come on.

We haven't seen Tarkin yet at all, and while he'll be in ROTS, I think he would've done much better as the Separatist leader than Dooku. Tarkin would have been privy to Sidious's plans, much like Maul would be (except for Sidious's intents for Anakin). If more time had been invested in one bad guy instead of just creating throwaway villains for each prequel movie, the battle between Anakin and the one bad guy would be much more compelling.

*Sigh* If he DID have to die, he should've at least gone out looking like the same character who fought two Jedi to a standstill, not some Force newbie who can't comprehend a Force-assisted jump.

19. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    I agree on some of your points except one. Tarkin couldn't lead the seperatists then suddenly switch sides and join the Empire. No wars really work that way. The public would probably think something fishy was going on, some sort of weird science. So Palps had to make up some Dooku guy somehow and send him to go do stuff to create the clone war instead.

It would have been super cool though if Maul stayed alive and continued to do Sid's dirty work. Dooku's a cool mysterious guy and all, but he's so out of nowhere ya know... like... totally man...

20. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    Maul should die and he died.I dont think that he would survive to AOTC if he survived TPM.
    In TPM he was fully trained and AOTC is 10 years after TPM.Maul was wery ambicious for sure.He would try to kill Sidious and Sidious would kill him.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Not necessarily. Vader was at Palpatine's side for 20+ years.

Maul could've done the same.

JMaster Luke, good scenario. :)

22. Master_Trance

Master_Trance Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    Maul had no personality he was just an angry looken sith that kicked ass.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Which is what vader was in Star wars. That's why you keep Maul around for the whole PT: character development.

Sitara likes this.
  24. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Thats true about Vader now that you bring that up....he was nothing in ANH. if it wasn't for obi wans "vader betrayed and murdered your father" vader would be just the same as Maul. just two angry siths. only in ESB did vader start to get developed.

25. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

Jmaster, good post. :)

Anyhow, I am annoyed why so many posters here seem to look at things backward. Why are you all saying yadda yadda yadda separatist, blah blah, when the script for ATOC was not even begun when TPM was released?
    Anything could have been done in TPM, and it could all have been easily fit into the ATOC script. As for the useless argument that Obi-Wan's lucky victory was to show how good he was with a saber, then how come Obi-Wan did not fight anywhere _NEAR_ as good in ep2? He gets fought to a stand still by jango (though jango then runs like a 7yr old girl) and then gets defeated easily by Dooku, in a duel that does not even come _CLOSE_ to what we saw Obi-Wan do in ep1 against Maul.

The separatists could have had a simple politician (chis lee) as a leader; or Sidious could simply have broken the rule of two and 'led' Dooku along. Sidious's plan: Use dooku to make a separatist rebellion, then use his clones to crush it. Except in this scenario Dooku would not have known about the clones; he would have been duped just like Nute Gunray and everyone else.

Note that he _did_ try to betray Sidious in ep2; he tried to recruit obi-wan. And this was a genuine attempt; if you do not believe melisten to the commentary during that scene.

He was supposed to be a sad clown figure, no one believed him. Even when Obi-Wan said that Dooku might be telling the truth at the end ot eh atoc, Yoda of all people said that Dooku was lying. Great job there jedi master, if you had believed obi-wan and dooku the future could have turned out much different.

Anyhow, as I was saying, had Maul survived and Sidious duped Dooku, in ep3 Maul could have been sent to kill off Dooku on board the ship, when he outlived his usefulness. Ofcourse, there he would have met Obi-Wan and Anakin, provoking a dangerous 4 way duel. Maul would survive, obi-wan would be knocked out, and Dooku would be dead. Then, with Palpatine in the background we would have anakin vs Maul. Note, this would all have been orchestrated as a test by palpatine; to both kill of his enemies (obi-wan and dooku) and to see who would be a better apprentice.