main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Thats a pretty cool theory, just wondering if there would need to be a dooku if maul is still around. Someone would have to lead the seperatist, but it couldn't be maul, since they know maul works for sidious. the seperatist wouldn't trust maul.

I would say make tarkin the leader, but then how could he just switch teams from the droid army to joining the empire without no one realising something was up.

I guess it could still be possible for sidious to use Dooku. Dooku wouldn't have to be a sith, he's just a Jedi who is working against the Jedi order...wants to do things a different way..Just cuz he doesn't follow the jedi that doesn't mean he's a sith.

that would be kinda cool to see...we've only seen sith and jedi, but nothing in between. Dooku coulda been that.

anyways i'm writing alot. basically Maul could of been, and should of been alive throughout the trilogy as the main villian.

2. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    No,they should have let him live,he is a awsome
    bad guy,I wish they would make a movie just about
    Darth Maul.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Maul served his purpose and that was to kill Qui-Gon and then die.

Anything more would have gotten in the way of the story being told.

4. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

As JMaster, and most of the people have already said, Maul's survival into all thre movies would have really provided the audience with a more exciting trilogy. Heck, how would you have felt had Vader been killed at the end of SW, with the destruction of the first death star? One could easily say Vader's purpose was only to kill Obi-Wan, and thus start Luke in his training.Thus vader could then have died and luke gone on to fight the emperor. Boba fett and Jabba would have been the new villain the; would poeple who think Maul should not have survied like that theory as well?

IMO QUI-Gon should have survivied as well; Liam Neeson was just so fantastic as a jedi master. Much much much more of a jedi than anyone else, including obi-wan (though ewans great in his role too), mace (nothing against Sam Jack, who is a great actor, but man I hate mace; he looks like he is always laughing inside) Yoda, etc etc. A duel between Qui-Gon and Chris Lee would have been good as well.

Perhaps some other Jedi could have died at Mauls hands in ep 1, while Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan stayed with the queen. Or something...

5. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    the thing with qui gon and obi wan is...that i really would of prefered if obi wan did what qui gon did on tattoonie.....can you just imagine how cool it would of been seeing obi wan WANT to train anakin...imagine obi wan talking to shmi and feeling there is something special in anakin

"i was amazed how strong the force was with him, i took it upon myself to train him."

this describes qui gon better then obi wan. sure obi wan was amazed how many midichlorians anakin had, but obi wan never said anything else good about anakin in Ep 1. "another pathatic life form" "the boys dangerious they all sense it why can't you"

It'd still be cool to have qui gon, but since he's the more wise jedi it might been better for him to stay with the queen who is more important to protect, and send your padawan to recover the parts they need for the ship.

I seriously belive that if Maul stayed alive, and obi wan did most of the things that qui gon did on tattoonie then TPM would of been ALOT better.

6. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Lucas himself had Obi-wan do all the things that Qui-gon did... And had a Qui-gon like character come in half of the movie and get killed. Anakin was supposidly was to take this death very hard.

Lucas stepped back and realize that that didn't make sense. For the death of a jedi to have such an impact, it woudl be better if the one who FOUND him died. And thus the audience would get as upset when Qui-gon died as well.

7. Lord_Porkins

Lord_Porkins Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2004
    I don't no if he should have lived or died but he has be reincarnated here.
    http://www.disturbingauctions.com/view.php?item=54

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Maul was merely a pawn in Plpatine's game.

It might have been "cool" to have Maul survive, but it wouldn't have made any sense with regards to the story of Anakin Skywalker.

That's what the Shadow Hunter book was for. So you could get more Maul without screwing up the 6 film saga.

9. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    why do most focus on people saying "it'd be 'cool' if maul was alive"

the last few post here we've been talking about how Maul staying alive would improve TPM and the whole PT. why its importand, and how'd it improve the story.

yes a nice bonus will be that it'd also be cool, but the main thing is, it would improve the story and provide a solid threat in the whole trilogy (like vader in the OT)

If Maul were to be in all 3 movies, his defeat to Anakin would be so much greater. Seeing as how he couldn't be defeat in the first 2 movies.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Actually, I disagree. I think it would just get in the way of the story, which really has very little to do with Maul.

It would be an unneccesary detour from what's important for the sake of seeing more of a "cool" character.

There is already a main threat.

Darth Sidious.

Strilo edit: Please don't allude to ROTS spoilers...

11. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    I think everyone is missing the point here.

Everyone who wanted Maul to live are doing so solely based on "he's cool", or "he looked awesome".

I have to be honest, that just doesn't cut it.

Remember that Dooku was a Jedi! Who would you rather have on your side; someone we assume was trained in the ways of the Sith from an early age (this is not taking the EU into consideration, the movies only)? Or someone who was a Jedi and trained by Yoda?

Simple choice really, Dooku is more powerful than Maul, he gave Yoda a run for his money until he put Obi Wan and Anakin in harms way, allowing him to escape

And by the end of TPM, Palpatine is more than aware of Anakins potential, Maul and Dooku were stop-gaps, and by the time AOTC comes around, Anakin is the next apprentice as far as Palpatine is concerned.

12. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    darth thump did you not just read my last post? i just responded saying that we dont want him in just cuz "he's cool" if you read the last page you'll see many gave good reasons why he should be in the movie. and its not just cuz he's cool.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    No I am reading back and I don't see anything really justifying WHY Maul should be kept around. I see a lot of HOW it could be done and lots of statements that it would be cool. But I don't seem to see any real justification for it.

14. Maranelo_Jori

Maranelo_Jori Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    ^totally agree.
    Maul was just minor charakter who was there just to kill Qui-Gon.No background no future.If he stayed alive he would sure get some deep etc.,but Mauls surviving would need diferent duel of the fates etc.
    Imagine:Qui-Gon is killed and Maul then escapes the people in cinema would leave...well,dissapointed.
    Yes,in ANH Obi-Wan died too,but it was different,he dissapeared and then wee hear him say to Luke to use the Force,but in TPM Qui-Gon was just frontaly stabed...

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree with J Master Luke on this.

The PT needed a solid villain throughout.

The reason we don't is because Lucas is making this up as he goes.

A solid villain would raise the bar for Anakin to jump over.

Sitara likes this.
  16. DrowsEvagus

DrowsEvagus Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    Do people on this list know that Ray Park did not do Darth Maul's voice? He was probably not cut out for a role with a lot of speaking. Park is a good martial artist, and made Maul look like a superb warrior, while Nielson and MacGregor were actors first, martial artists (if at all) second.

We know from A New Hope that Obi Wan is (or was once) a competent Jedi Knight. If Obi Wan didn't defeat Darth Maul, that would be sending a message that the dark side is more powerful than the light side, or that evil is more powerful than good.

But I agree that the way it was done was not convincing, b/c Maul's fighting looked so good.

How is this for an alternate plot?

Instead of flipping over Maul, Obi Wan stays hanging, while using the force to stab Maul with the lightsaber. In all of the video games, light-saber throw is a move, and because Maul was concentrating on killing Obi Wan by creating sparks, he might not have expected it. It would be more of a cheap shot, but much more believable. I realize that no one in the movies has activated a light saber by the force, by why not? I suppose if they could do that, then all opponents would simply turn off their opponents light sabers, but presumably conscientious jedi could guard against that.

17. Mustafar_Knights

Mustafar_Knights Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    No, he shouldn't have. Maul was a mindless tool... wait, so's Dooku. Damn. And Darth Maul is so much more badass than Dooku; even if his design was just made to sell toys, games, books, etc. Damn.

Had he actually had a character in TPM, sure, he would have been fine in AOTC. But he had no personality or character at all in TPM, so it's better off they killed him. Although his replacement isn't much better, and doesn't look nearly as cool.

The only thing I could think of would be to make TPM like it is and AOTC like it is, but bring him back somehow in ROTS as a surprise. I know of a way to do this; but it'd be a spoiler for Revenge.

18. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    He should not have died i mean when me and all my mates see him for the first time we said that he was the best bad guy since Darth Vader from the OT...and when he died we were so dissapointed...i mean i would have loved to see him in AOTC and ROTS...but it was not meant to happen :(

19. mustardlyman

mustardlyman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    NO he shouln't have died. Thats the problem with the PT. It's obvious that GL is making up the story as he goes along, this wasn't some grand six film epic that he had written 25 yrs ago(almost too many twists and turns to be believable). Killing Maul off in the 1'st movie was a huge mistake, Vader should have killed him at the end of ep3 to prove his worthiness. Although it would be cool if GG turned out to be Maul but we all know the chances off that...slim to none.

20. LORD_MICKOLAS

LORD_MICKOLAS Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    Yes Maul should have died but in better circumstances like flee but he could'nt thats not the sith way in his eye's but he could of made Kenobi flee well would@nt you after your master has just been struck down, well Jinn's fault that he died but back to the point the or an other situation could be that he died but should have put up a better fight against Kenobi don't you think so?

21. dunestrider

dunestrider Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2005
    Off topic: but is it ironic that when Sith die , they always fall down a shaft

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Strilo: I see your point hows this...

The "reasons" Maul should have survived his duel with Obi-wan are as follows: He would have remained as the Phantom Menace, that elusive Sith in the shadows. Becoming Obi-wan's first nemesis would have made for a greater second episode. Maul could have been dueling with Qui-gon, the shield goes down and Obi-wan joins the fray. Maul toys with them and realizes that in close quarters its better to survive to fight another day. Maul knocks Obi-wan to the ground. Then he stabs Qui-gon and escapes... Obi stays to aid Qui-gon, who delivers the "promise me" dialogue. This would've allowed us to see Maul progress in the power of the Darkside. How wicked would his character had been over the next 10 years? Instead of boring Dooku, we could have seen the real definition of "Tyranny" by having Maul be the one who keeps all the Trade Federation "lackeys" in line. Always showing his power to them in the most brutal manner. Sneaking up on random Jedi, killing them in cold blood, in a manner to mock the Jedi Council. Only to return to the shadows, flaunting his power. Dooku NEVER exhibits any tyrannical behavior at all. I love C. Lee but his character is even more poorly developed than what we got out of Maul. Seeing Gunray cower in front of Maul for every screw up would have been funny. Sidious ever the master strategist would come to the realization that Maul's tunnel vision will ultimately be his downfall; therefore, he sets the wheels in motion towards Anakin. Maul escapes Episode II much like Dooku did, and the Jedi are foiled once again..."elusive!" In episode III Anakin vs. Maul duel would have been the ultimate Jedi vs. Sith! That would 've been awesome. What a way to open ROTS..."

That would have been cool.

Sitara likes this.
  23. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    I like that...but i think in TPM Maul shouldn't flee, since that is what he'd be doing in AOTC...it'd kinda suck to see him run away 2 times.

I think if you read my theory that it might made more sense for Maul to 'assume' obi fell to his death when he force pushed him into the pit. When Maul leaves the room then the camera would pan down showing the audience that obi wan isn't dead.

At this point of the movie Padme has taken control of the viceroy and the battledroids have been defeated. So Maul would make the wise choice to go back and report to Sidious.

Sitara likes this.
  24. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I think Maul could have easily been the apprentice up until the Invisible Hand sequence. The only plotpoint that would have to be changed is that Nute does not view his arrest as 'a betrayal', more a setback and Maul ad he would have rounded up the separatists.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    JM Luke, that is a great idea. He would leave because he thought the job done.

I still have Dooku as part of the story, but he's not a Sith. He's just one of the "Lost 20" and an idealist(like Ki-Adi mentions in AOTC).