Should Disney buy Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by P.Sam, Jan 28, 2013.

1. P.Sam Jedi Master

star 1
    Hi,

I didn't know exactly where to post this subject but since it is Disney-related (and so not far from SW) I decided to post it here.

I've seen a similar thread on a Trek forum and I found it interesting. The thread was about 50/50 in response. Many fans would not mind Disney buying ST if it would bring more Trek on TV for they think the corporation could give a new breath to the franchise just like they intend to do with Star Wars. But some were stricly against that for they do not think Disney could handle this Sci-Fi franchise.

Disney is getting bigger and bigger: Marvel comics, Star Wars (let alone ABC, ESPN ect)

so I'll ask the same question as I've seen on a ST forum:

We know that Star Trek is owned by Paramount but should Disney buy Star Trek?
    Last edited by P.Sam, Jan 28, 2013
  2. Roberto Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    No I don't want a disney monopoly. Avoid it all costs
  3. P.Sam Jedi Master

star 1
    I agree that it is good to have more than one player on the field. It allows competitions and that isn't a bad thing for the fans.

But the fact is, Disney continue to swallow franchise after franchise: The Muppets, Marvel and now Star Wars. I would be surprised if they stop there. Owning both the rights of SW and ST may be very profitable for them.
    Last edited by P.Sam, Jan 29, 2013
  4. Sistros Force Ghost

star 6
    imagine a star wars and star trek crossover film..

it will start WW3

started by extreme geeks on both sides

"how dare they show lightsabers are better than Fazers!!!!"
  5. Adirondackjedi27 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Thank the Force, the U.S has laws that keeps companies from getting too big. I think they are anti-trust laws? I'd have to go look it up, but they may have their eyes on Disney already since it owns so much. I'm totally against Disney buying Star Trek, it would start a geek war, many innocent geeks woul be lost.
  6. AdmiralSteven Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Don't like the idea one bit.
  7. Pearlsaber Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Don't like it. I'm one of those fans who likes to be separate from that other space franchise...Star Wrek Trek. I like the thought of Disney focusing only on SW.
  8. P.Sam Jedi Master

star 1
    @Pearlsaber I do as well but Disney doesn't only own Star Wars. They've got Marvel comics as a franchise who is pretty big too. The thing is, these franchises under the corporate umbralla of Disney work independently. Lucasfilm runs SW, Marvel runs itself ect.
    Pearlsaber likes this.
  9. Darth Claire Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes then Disney can truly become The Empire [face_devil]
  10. Merric Jedi Master

star 1
    "Ah man. Star wars 7 sure wasn't that big of A hit. What do we do now? *looks through book of things they don't own* Oh! Lets buy Star Trek next!" -Disney
    Last edited by Merric, Jan 30, 2013
  11. benknobi1 Chosen One

star 6
    I would be fine with it. As long as SW movies were better:p