main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Should Disney Do Special, Special Editions?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Jan 21, 2016.

?

Should Disney Make Changes to the OT That The Fans Would Want?

1. Yes, fix some of George's Special Edition screw ups

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No, leave the OT alone, it's been through enough already.

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Should Disney do Special, Special editions? I think they should and give the fans what they want. Changes:

ANH:
    • Remove or fix the Mos Eisley CGI
    • Han shoots first!
    • Fix the dated looking Death Star computers.
    ESB:
    • Very minor and subtle changes like some of the matte backgrounds. This movie is a masterpiece, don't want it messed with much.
    ROTJ:
    • Remove or replace "Jedi Rocks", and if it's replaced, use the original song.
    • Clean up the Jabba fight a little (like Luke whiffing on a kick and the guy falling over)
    • Multiply the number of Ewoks by 5, make the Ewoks outnumber the storm troopers 5 to 1 with swarms of Ewoks attacking the storm troopers. This would make the fight a lot more believable and be more of a "Battle of Little Big Horn" type scenario.
    • Remove Vader screaming Nooooo!
    • Put Sebastian Shaw back in the force ghosts.
    There's also a lot of CGI that could be brushed up in the PT. Like Anakin riding that hippo thing and some of the CGI battles don't hold up, particularly in AOTC.

DavidSword79, Worker11811 and Avnar like this.
  2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    My conscience tells me to leave the OT alone, because you can never please everybody, but the fan in my likes some of these ideas while dislikes others.

For example, I like the Mos Eisley CGI, and I think the DS computers look fine.

And in ESB, I'd take it further, and fix that issue with Luke's lightsaber in the Wampa cave. At the end, it make the "off" sound effect, but doesn't turn off.

I'd also fix the color timing issue in that movie that turns Vader's lightsaber pinkish.

Too-Gon Onbourbon and SlashMan like this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What fans? Me? You? These are movies, and movies should be what the artist wants them to be, not what the audience wants (as if the latter has a singular view to begin with).

Prisic Duskleap and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Please no. Just re-release the OOT so people can have more options.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I'd rather see the Prequels - especially episode 2 get a once over with the effects.

The orignial trilogy is pretty much the apex of what could be done with optical effects. The prequels are like the start of CGI - the ground floor everything else is based on.

6. ViktorShade

ViktorShade Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2016
    I'd want an additional scene where Boba escapes the Sarlacc. Only thing I'd leave alone would be the computers since in Force awakens they still have some outdated technology.

black_saber likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    There's nothing to fix so why would they?

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Apart from restoring and releasing the OOT, I voted for leaving the OT as it is. If Lucas came in and wanted to tinker with the films further, and if Disney allowed him to do so, I wouldn't like it but I would accept it, and that's the only situation in which I would accept it. If Disney decided to release their own special edition that would be treading ground that I don't think anyone, OOT or SE proponents, would be comfortable with on any level.

Ideal scenario: restore and release the OOT, keep both it and the 2011 "final drafts" of the OT-SE available for any and all to purchase from now until the end of time. Maybe even include the original 1997 special editions as a bonus feature with the "final draft" special editions, so the entire history of these films is made available, but no more tinkering.

9. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    what? no...

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  10. Bossk74

Bossk74 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Disney is remastering the original films prior to any Special Edition changes. At least that was my understanding of what they were trying to do.

11. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    In "fixing" them, they'll do more harm than good. I have a feeling any new special editions aren't going to be about improvement, but about consistency with the PT/ST.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Changes I'd like:

- fix the color timing
    - fix the lightsabers
    - Replace Palpatine's advisors in ROTJ with Mas Amedda and Sly Moore

14. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Should the mods cancel this thread? I think they should.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  16. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    If we get a high quality OOT remaster then the internet will quickly spring up with various different edits of the film (this is already happening to some degree with things like the despecialized editions)

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Now THIS is something I can say with absolute certainty that GL has prevented. In the past, he's worked actively against corporations altering the work of artists. Him altering his own work is one thing - He is the primary artist and sees it as his prerogative to do whatever the hell he wants with the movies - but if anyone else would make "official" alterations without his consent, he'd have their head on a plate.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    If possible COMPLETELY replace Ewoks with Wookies! :cool:

19. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Yeah because Wookies are cool and Ewoks aren't right? Child stuff isn't supposed to be in Star Wars!

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Nah get on with making more Star Wars films. Art that appreciates the grandeur of the best of the Saga. We all see foibles of some kind in the originals even after this length of time and the CGI they stand up. We can't keep living in the past and celebrating past glories. Take for example Jurassic Park epic movie, sequels okay now while Jurassic World is not nearly as good as the original it still had plenty of Dinosaurs to get enthusiastic about. They are now planning on more movies. I hope they do make better films and keep the series going well Star Wars is a little like it. More films that are good and keep in line with the original Trilogy. I sincerely believe this. The old stuff can remain for the collectors and those interested in the old stories.

21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    To quote Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo!

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Absolutely right. I don't think Disney will even consider it in large part due to that.

23. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    I think this is the best solution. Without the OOT, the rest wouldn't exist so at the very least it deserves the same level of respect the other trilogies get - to be made available in it's original form with the best quality video and audio available. That way every fan can enjoy the saga the way they want - chronological order or the order it was released which I feel is better. Narrative > Chronology.

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I would petition for exactly the original Academy Award winning theatre releases, in their maximum film fidelity.

25. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    They should release the original untouched versions so that all us 'whiners' will be placated. 'Harmy' and his team have almost done it. Disney just need to get it from them, slap it on a blu ray and all of us are happy.

Heroic BB-8 and Poe loves Rey like this.