main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Disney introduce pre-Republic/Hyperdrive era?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, May 3, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Or reintroduce Killiks on Alderaan. The human colonists come in contact with them, and some fighting ensues because of cultural differences. But the conflict of this period is not limited to just this planet, because this era can explore other issues happening, and how the Jedi are involved. While getting the exploration aspect of Alderaan, we see other places being visited for the 1st time by Man. All this happening but still maintaining a strong focus on the society and issues within Coruscant and its solar system. Really creating the star wars galactic feel, even in an age where their is less galactic community.

Darth Caliban and vncredleader like this.
  2. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    DS9 got away with war so I think Star Wars can get away with exploration. Bringing it to TV and/or cinema might be difficult though. Maybe if Star Trek: Discovery is popular Disney might want to capitalize.

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    If we ever do get a Star Wars version of "Enterprise, but good", I think it's more likely that it'll be something along the lines of "there's this small region of space we've never been able to get to before, let's explore it!" rather than dealing with the origins of the Star Wars galaxy. You can still do exploration stories in "present day" Star Wars, but there's a difference between covering the origin story of the Federation (centuries old, just a few generations from Kirk) and the Republic (millennia old, many generations from Skywalker). The later is more suited to novels, comics, or an in-universe history textbook than a show.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I first returned to Star Wars as an adult via the Knights of the Old Republic comics, Zayne Carrick etc. So I would just adore it if Disney did some Old Republic stuff. I think there's a lot going for that era, they could make films which are big and bold and colourful and yet lighter in tone than things like Rogue One. I think the Republic Era offers great opportunity for family films with classic good against evil struggles. They could even do it animated, it would look great.
    So I would definitely vote for Old Republic over pre-hyperdrive pre-Republic era stuff.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I would certaintly love to see such things explored.

I know it can be a tricky balance keeping something feeling like star wars while still showing a sense of progression, but I think it can be done. In particular, I like TOTJ's aesthetics overall, though I wish there were more ground vehicles and less non-jedi melee weapon users on a battlefield. I particularly liked the idea that travel used to be more limited which led to many space cities on major travel routes that were abandoned as technology improved and it easier to go from planet to planet.

I would also love it if at least one era had a Flash Gorden-esque retro rocket and reygun look to it, a shout-out to one of the franchise's main inspirations.

Nice.

I loved that one bit in TOTJ were we see flashbacks to various darksiders throughout history, and they included some guy in Greek armor and another in...I have trouble remembering, but some kind of middle eastern armor. It really inspired me to think about the pre-republic eras of the galaxy, and I had in my head a collection of short stories (comics specifically) of various battles between light and dark siders throughout history, starting on some bronze age battlefield, continuing with a paladin going up against a force lightning shooting wizard, then some force sensitive pilots dogfighting in the midst of steam- or diesel- punk air battle, ending with something in the modern day.

It is interesting to think that the Star Wars Galaxy must have been really Star Trek-y or Babylon-5-y at first.

In turn, makes you wonder if the Federation will become like the Republic in the far future of their galaxy.

Kylun and vncredleader like this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Pre-Hyperspace material could also explore origins of near-humans in star wars.

Near-humans looking so human like isn't a coincidence.

In Legends the ancestors to the Chiss were an ancient human pre-hyperspace colony.

So story should happen that explores human ancestors to the Chiss. Along way from their home solar system. Slept for a long time, now have to deal with the issues that arise from creating a new colony.

7. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

I really feel like the OT should override the prequels and they should hand wave away the dialogue in AOTC as just someone misspeaking.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    disney

does

not

run

star wars

9. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Legends hand waved that AOTC dialogue as referring to "The Ruusan Reformations" that reorganized the Republic about 1,000 years before the prequels. That's no longer canon, but the Propaganda book confirms that pretty much the same thing happened: There was an "Old Republic" more than a thousand years ago, and the AOTC dialogue just refers to them resetting the calendar. I hope the New Canon doesn't keep the "25,000 years old" date though, 5 or 10 thousand would be fine for me.

I bought some Star Wars graham crackers, and they were stale. It's all Disney's fault, somehow.

Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  10. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014

This is a huge oversimplification. The Walt Disney Company owns Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy absolutely reports to both Bob Iger and Alan Horn. Lucasfilm is an integral part of Disney's portfolio and Disney absolutely has a say in major creative decisions that will impact the brand and selecting the dates when projects will be released. For example while developing Episode VII JJ Abrams pleaded with Disney to delay the film to May 2016 they refused but did compromise with December 2015because Iger wanted Star Wars to be reflected in the earnings forecast for 2015. Disney also made the call to close Lucasarts and give the Star Wars license to EA for example.

So yes Disney does run Star Wars just not the day to day nitty gritty of it and get involved for major decisions (like killing off the entire cast of R1, what projects should get prioritized, when Episodes get released, etc.).

Ewan Tibbetts likes this.
  11. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    That's not quite right. The Old Republic is different from the later Galactic Republic if for no other reason than the latter is galactic. The dialogue in Attack of the Clones is a little more significant than just "resetting the calendar," it's also when the Republic established its capital on Coruscant and became the galactic superpower.

12. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    Why can't they just say the guy misspoke in AOTC. Politicians in real life misspeak all the time.

Even Obama by accident said USA had 57 states once.

13. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Why can't they say Kenobi misspoke in A New Hope? Not that I think either of them did, but seriously, it's as valid a reading. However, both can be correct, there is nothing inherently contradictory about the two statements.

Chancellor Palpatine's line in Attack of the Clones is "I will not let this Republic, that has stood for a thousand years, be split in two." Note his specific wording. This Republic.

This is connected to Ki-Adi-Mundi's line in The Phantom Menace. "The Sith have been extinct for a millennium."

Then you have the soon-to-be-Emperor Palpatine's line in Revenge of the Sith, "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy..."

The implication of the dialogue is that at one point the Sith ruled the galaxy, but a thousand years ago the Jedi saw their extinction and this Republic, the Galactic Republic, was established. Dialogue in The Clone Wars further bears this out, with talk of "the fall of the Old Republic" and the battles that were fought during "the Old Republic."

Kenobi is referring to the history of the Jedi Order as a whole, and he does not mention the Galactic Republic at all. "For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic, before the Dark Times, before the Empire." The Dark Times may refer to the rise of the Galactic Empire, clearly we are meant to infer so. However, Kenobi may take a larger view of history at this point; the Dark Times might be the entire existence of the Sith, thousands of years yes, but nothing compared to a thousand generations, nothing compared to the eternity of the Force.

There is room enough in the text for these kinds of complications, the complications we see in real history. It's only a contradiction if you want it to be.

Kylun likes this.
  14. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    No. There's slate-cleaning to want to play around in established eras, and there's making too much work for themselves.

First, yes, Legends was "wiped clean" ... with the caveat that sizeable chunks of it are sneaking in in new, altered, or even just straight-up imported ways from previous works.

Second, I can certainly understand Disney wanting to get all the $$ out of its' still relatively shiny and new toy, and that poking around in unexplored areas of the timeline is both financially wise and potentially awesome.

But IMHO, DOTJ was just fine - was it perfect? Not entirely, and a bit hand-wavium with the pre-Republic gathering of so many species together in one system. Still, I can see the Kwa playing shepherd out of a desire to want to see younger species do well against the Rakata someday.

(My personal suspicion is that the non-Force-sensitive Tythonians played ambassador to their respective ancient homeworlds once the Force Wars were over, and thus were far more integral to the Republic's formation than we got to see, but that hypothesis' mileage varies.)

It's far enough back in the timeline that instead of throwing hard work by Ostrander and Duursema in the metaphorical woodchipper, it causes less damage and ill will by just letting it alone. (Better yet, ask them back for 1 or 2 more mini-series to finish the Force Wars tales, and let the KOTOR/TOR stuff stand as well; enough people like that era, if not all of its details, that it's wasteful to just throw it out with the bathwater.)

Third ... the "thousand years" stuff from the prequels is just a headache. I read it as preferential IU POV of the last 1,000 years, based on fear of revisiting the trauma of the sheer hideousness of events between 2000 and 1000 BBY.

Plagues, entire sectors getting carved up by Sith, Jedi bad behavior during the Army of Light years, public fear of anyone with a lightsaber ... bad, bad times.

"Sith," to Yoda's Order, means revisiting extremely bad skeletons in the closet, and for the Republic Senate, it's almost certainly an invite to an era their historians don't want to freak out the public with. Tarsus Valorum and Farfalla yoink-ed the galaxy back from well-beyond the brink of disaster, so why wouldn't their spiritual descendants idealize the "Golden Age" of the last 1,000 years?

Which is why the lines in the Propaganda Book don't irritate me as much as they might. So, Disney doesn't want to deal with the (admittedly complicated) business revolving around Jedi vs. Sith? Fine. Let it ride, and don't poke the Great Bane Controversy over the original comic and the Karpyshyn novels with a stick yet again.

Instead, there's no reason there couldn't have been some Epic Climactic Battle (TM) on Coruscant, similar to but inverting the outcome of the "Deceived" trailer from TOR, where the Jedi won, and the current iteration of the Republic was established.

The Coruscanti lionize this Great Jedi Victory (probably with the Order's tacit approval, since - y'know, Ruusan involved child soldiers and other ugly details), and the 1K number becomes the Great Accepted Reset.

OOU, Kenobi's classic (and still-awesome) "thousand generations" line remains intact, and the matter gets put to rest. Everybody wins.

(Plus - hey. Dan Wallace's Waymancy Storm stuff? Who doesn't want to see that recanonized and explored? There's entire chunks of awesome stories from the Atlas and EGt Warfare that cost nobody any continuity headaches to revive, as long as we keep pre-2000 BBY.)

Kylun likes this.
  15. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    I also don't like the line "There hasn't been full scale war since the formation of the Republic". It's just really unrealistic (and not to mention creatively limiting) that nothing really significant happened in the Republic for a thousand+ years until AOTC. I mean your really telling me that with a universe so huge and diverse as Star Wars that even with an orgranized government is shown to be unruly that there were no major wars or anything? C'mon

16. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Here's the full qoute:

So the Republic had previously occupied Coruscant, and depending on how many star systems it controlled before the Sith took over, the Republic could arguably be considered "Galactic" even back then. But yes, it's not just them resetting the clocks, its also about their decisive victory and (re)taking their place at the top.

This is one of those cases of Star Wars' fantasy roots showing. You know, that "The Kingdom was peaceful for a thousand years, before the evil overlord came" trope. I don't mind it for two reasons: 1) We're specifically told the Jedi Knights helped keep the peace, which makes sense considering they don't have the Sith occupying their time anymore 2) On a galactic scale, even a war between several planets involving millions probably wouldn't be considered "a full scale war". There's still room for smaller conflicts, and in some ways I prefer that for this era. Legends had the problem of the galaxy moving from one major war to the next with no time to breathe, not every conflict needs to be a massive battle for the very existence of the Republic itself.

StarWarsFan91 and Kylun like this.
  17. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Except that the ouster referred to in that sentence is that of the Sith from Coruscant, and the word "resettling" carries no connotation of a return. It simply means that the subject (in this case the capital of the Republic) was settled in one place, was moved, and then settled again (resettled) in another. To use the word in a real world sense, resettled refugees aren't refugees who've returned home, they're refugees who've had to establish another home elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I guess that's a fair interpretation. I have absolutely no evidence to back up my interpretation, but thematically I feel it's better if the "dark age" Palpatine referred to when he said "once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy" is the Sith overthrowing the Republic and taking Coruscant for themselves, not that the Sith were in charge ruling from Coruscant from the start.

19. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Well remember the history of the Sith is also far shorter than it is in Legends.The fact that it's a megalopolis means Coruscant has been important to galactic politics for far longer than the comparatively "mere" thousands of years of Sith history. So I agree, the Sith were not in charge of Coruscant from the start, I'm just positing that there could have been a non-Republic/non-Sith civilization with its center there, one that did not survive as a unique entity after the Sith conquest, the Jedi liberation, and the following assimilation into the new Galactic Republic.

20. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I suppose they could always retcon in a Pre-Republic, Pre-Sith galactic civilization based on Coruscant. (After all the Rakatan Infinite Empire didn't become a huge part of the Pre Republic lore in Legends until they were retroactively invented for KOTOR). But until/unless we get evidence for such a civilization, I'm inclined to believe the text simply means the Old Republic was driven from Coruscant by the Sith, only for them to take it back and become the "Galactic Republic". I don't think the "Galactic" prefix means they weren't previously a galactic super power, I think it's just to avoid confusing the Prequel Era "Old Republic" with the millennia in the past "Old Republic".

I think the author intention was to acknowledge the AOTC dialogue, include the "reset the calendar" loop hole to make room for more Ancient Republic stories should future authors wish to tell them, but at the same time avoid locking things into a certain time frame the way Legends did with the "25,000 years" figure.

21. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    No, you're misunderstanding me, maybe we're using "galactic" differently, I dunno. What I am proposing is that there is no "galactic" civilization before the Galactic Republic. Even the Galactic Republic isn't really "galactic" since Hutt Space is still a thing, Mandalorian Space is still a thing, etc. Through brute force the First Galactic Empire comes closest to a truly galactic civilization, but even there you have the Unknown Regions, you have the nebulous status of Outer Rim worlds like Tatooine.

Rather, what I'm proposing is a plurality of interstellar civilizations of which the Old Republic and the Sith Empire are two of several "nations", along with the Hutts, the Mandalorians, the Zygerrians, all in more prominent roles than we see them in the "modern" era, as well as cultures that don't survive the various conflicts of this era.

22. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Ah, I think I understand now. Yeah I'd be up for seeing more "space nation" super powers that rival the Republic, and it isn't until they kick the Sith off Coruscant that the Galactic Republic icontrols most of the known galaxy. (With exceptions like Hutt and Mandalorian space, Tatooine, ect. ). I still think Coruscant was the capital of the ancient Republic though.

Kylun and Jedi Princess like this.