main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Disney reboot/re-edit the Prequels eventually?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiSpamBaloney, Nov 9, 2014.

1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I think maybe films about the Clone Wars would be good. I.e. Between Episodes II and III.

Also films showing the solidifying of the Empire and the hunting down of the remaining Jedi Knights/Children of the Force. I.e. Between Episodes III and IV.

Also might be cool to do an alternative ending/series if Mace Windu kills Palpatine in Episode III.

Otherwise a film about how the entire Imperial Fleet and Imperial Military with thousands of ships at its disposal and millions of clone, volunteer and other loyalist troops, loyal to the command of the legitimate (yes dictatorial, but legitimate in terms of evolved from the Old Republic) government on Coruscant/Imperial Center just happened to abandon their posts and go to bed after the destruction of the second Death Star. I mean Palpatine played the system to defeat the Jedi and become ruler of the galaxy, but the Rebel Alliance pretty much just assasinated the Emperor and his second in command Vader. Yes they also destroyed a few ships out of the virtually unlimited resources of the entire Empire. They still wouldn't be the legitimate rulers of the Empire or whatever Republic they might proclaim to replace it, because they didn't work the system (i.e. use the Imperial Senate and any loopholes in the Imperial constitution). Unless whoever inherited the throne and became Emperor/Empress was on the Alliance's side the whole time... mmm.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    To be fair, we don't really know what state the galaxy is in at the start of EpVII. Maybe the Republic has just recently been officially reinstated?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    no,

the saga has been messed around enough, (I-VI)

it's is a huge universe with literally thousands of years worth of stories,

I'll be thankful if ep IX is the last of the Skywalker saga to be honest.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TPM-Tone JJ down a lot, Add Dooku in.
    AOTC-Add Grievous, add Padme family scenes
    ROTS-Add Petition of 2000/Rebellion scenes/Yoda arrives on Dagobah.

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I like this post bro. I say good luck to Disney, they paid their billion, they well see a return. Its just people are hyping these new movies up....but they fail to realize Hamill, Fisher and Ford will not be the STARS of these new movies. Star Wars is about fights, action, running, jumping, flipping. You need YOUTH to do all that. These movies will have new actors, new heroes, new villains. You know what?? Star Wars is like a drug for some people, and im starting to see that on these forums. They just want more and more and more. DISNEY is satisfying that inch, but George did enough. These movie or NOT the continuation of the OT lol, its 30 years after Palpatine and Anakins death. The OT big 3 wont be the big 3 of this NEW story. And when that hard pill is finally swallowed some fans will rage out and pick apart every detail of the disney films, protest how they suck, we will hear about bad dialog, bad actors, stupid props, yadda yadda. Sorry i dont trust Star Wars fans to behave, too many of them have showed their azz the past few years. Me personally I wont be seeing the new movies, i dont need to see them. I dont have the energy for that fight, and it will happen. George should have allowed more time for the PT and OT to gel, they were starting to unite, starting to be respected as one then Disney came and the PT bashing started again, when it was seriously dying down. People want to say 1-9 is one saga, but its 2 different stories. Yea Dooku and Grevious died in the PT but Vader and Palpatine lived, everyone that mattered DIED in ROTJ, Vader, Palpatine, Boba, Jabba, Yoda...dead dead dead. Who is left to be the villain after 30 years? When fans see they didnt get another Vader or Maul, it will very interesting to see how they handle it all.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Uh, Disney knows that they're not the stars of the ST. That's what the new cast is for. But they're still in the story because that's how Lucas had conceived the idea before he sold the company. As to the fanbase, well, they'll have to deal with it as they always have to.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    And we know all too well how fans DEAL when Star Wars doesnt go the way THEY want it to go, if Mark Hamill doesnt get 1 hour and 15 minutes of screen time watch the online riots that start. This is only the beginning for Disney Star Wars bashing, Jan 2016 it will be at a fever pitch.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    What if they made a new Star Wars: Infinties trilogy except it's about the Prequels? What do all of you think of that idea in giving fans better versions of the Prequels?

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sure. It would go good with the inevitable rebooted OT.

ShaneP and CoolyFett like this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    What is it with everyone implying that Disney is suddenly in charge of making the movies?
    They only offer executive input. Otherwise, LFL is still holding the reins

FRAGWAGON and Andy Wylde like this.
  11. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Then what if the Disney versions suck? Are we just going to keep remaking the same movies over and over again until every single fan is 100% completely happy with the way they turned out, forever and in perpetuity? Just leave the prequels alone. The story's been told, it's over.

That might be how it is in practice, but at the end of the day, Disney is absolutely in charge of making the movies. And I get the impression they might have given Lucasfilm a bit of a shorter leash than they have Marvel. Disney absolutely needs this movie to work. They spent a lot of money on this franchise, and they want to make it all back plus a few extra gajillion, or else they won't be happy.

Big_Benn_Klingon and CoolyFett like this.
  12. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    You do know what Infinities is right? It's just a one-off comic that's a giant "What-If".

I think they should do one for the Prequels.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT Infinities comics were pretty good. A PT version of those would be interesting to see.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I know what Infinities is. There's still no reason to do it. Why would Disney release a major film trilogy, re-telling a story that was already told, and explicitly market it as having no canonical bearing on the continuity their Sequel Trilogy takes place in? It makes no sense from an artistic or a brand perspective. And jeez, talk about having to live up to impossible expectations. It would be even worse than the first time around.

I agree. An Infinities PT comic that explores different plot possibilities in the way that the OT ones did would be interesting. But that's different than what's being proposed. We all know why certain people would like a prequel trilogy remake. But "I personally didn't like the movies" isn't really a compelling enough reason, IMO.

Big_Benn_Klingon and Andy Wylde like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The films are guaranteed to make money because the franchise is a money maker. People will want to see the films and they will earn a nice profit, plus what they get off the merchandise. It would have to bomb right on opening day for it to be a waste.

Not just that but it would serve to confuse the audience. They're not all geeks like us that will understand what "Infinities" is and how it isn't canon. Just deal with what's out there like you've always had.

Big_Benn_Klingon and Andy Wylde like this.
  16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Fair point, but I'd imagine they'd very much prefer it if there wasn't an extremely vocal backlash like with the prequels. They'd make bank either way, but it would be an immeasurable boon to their future with the franchise if all the critics and hardcore fans were on board with them. The don't want an aura of negativity surrounding their first entry into the franchise.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    No.

Extremely minor edits... maybe. But nothing major.

And absolutely NO main saga title reboots. Ever. In the history of all time. For all eternity. Amen.

The only thing I'd be ok with seeing rebooted is maybe the Clone Wars movie - cartoon. But leave the movies be. They are fine.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    They would be leaving the existing movies alone if they rebooted them. The reboots would just be remakes.

I would argue remakes would do less harm to the originals than the SEs have done.

I'm all for it as long as the originals are preserved and showcased. However, wait until the ST is finished and the stand-alones are well along. Basically wait a decade before thinking about it.

19. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I highly doubt Disney would but the movies should be left alone.

Well that is a little prejudice...If a single SW movie gets rebooted, the whole saga should...the fandom would be mad equally. :p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If it was Lucas doing it, I would be worried about this. Disney might but who knows?

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

There's no way that isn't going to happen. There will be a fair amount of negative reactions from people who find the whole thing to be a wash, because of a variety of reasons. Age of the big three, the use of CGI, Abrams, Kasdan not being as good as he used to be and the plot being not worth it.

Andy Wylde and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  22. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    I'd be mad with happiness if The Phantom Menace got a reboot but it would better if it wasn't done as a feature film preferably a comic. Now that everything is one canon, it would be just as valid as a movie.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I agree there will probably be a faction of naysayers, but I'm talking about the dominant cultural narrative that arises out of their release. The prequels were actually fairly well-liked, all in all, but the narrative that came out of their release was that they were cinematic abominations that people with good taste either hated or were disappointed with.

I'm thinking the new movies will face a reaction much like Abrams' Star Trek films. There'll be contingent of fans that strongly dislike them, but they'll get decent reviews and the narrative will be that they're good movies and just what the stale franchise needed. It won't have much to do with their quality or box office returns. It's just the next natural step in the Star Wars cultural narrative: the prequels were disappointing, the new movies without the hated creator's involvement are a return to form. Everything's already been decided. Not in a weird conspiratorial way--it's just how the zeitgeist flows.

If they're somehow beyond awful in a way that's as close to objective as you can get, obviously this won't apply. But I doubt that will be the case. Abrams and Disney are guaranteed to produce a movie that's at least passably competent.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Far more than that I'd say but they are not LOVED like the OT movies were or more in particular that IV was by the general public and V was by the fans who champion it as being the best thing ever.

The narrative is shaped by those who were disappointed that Star Wars didn't need them and "left them behind" Obviously going on about the films when they are current and massive with the series ongoing the reality of what is happening overrides that narrative. Once the films are "old" and out of that zeitgeist then that narrative can take over which is really no different than the last time after ROTJ was done.

I'm sure that rather hilarious narrative will continue along with the use of "practical effects" and "less CGI" and all the other nonsense.

Meanwhile I forsee having a grand old time laughing at that warped storyline while enjoying VII.

No they are excellently executed. You just don't like them.

It already has it. You just don't want to recognize it.

Again you don't like him. Meesa love him.

You must be really bored with how much time IV spent there.

Better add scenes of Alderaan's destruction too then.

Now your just being silly. You do realize you were supposed to feel awkward? It was done exactly as it needed to be.

Let's do the same for the OT as well then. It needs it way more.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Just because you disagree with someone is no reason to be snide. Perceptions differing doesn't mean someone is wrong or stupid.