main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Ep3 have an epilogue?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Vonn, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Even though Ep3 isn't the end of the saga (that honor goes to Ep6), should Ep3 go directly from the final shot to epilogue (very similar to the opening scroll)?

With Ep3 ending on a down note, it would be difficult to go from an ending shot directly into the happy SW theme music that every SW has playing in the credits.

It probably be easier if George used the Attack of the Clones theme to go to an epilogue then go to the credits.

At least this way George could get in any extra info that he can't fit into the storyline that plays out onscreen (aka Jedi Purge, building of the first death star, etc).

2. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Hmm...interesting idea.

However, I think Lucas will stick to his SW film endings, no matter how jarring it'll feel.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    No -- if this was the last episode of the saga I'd think differently, but it would be weird to plop this down in the middle of the saga.

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Sounds like a good idea to me. There's a big ole gap where a bunch of important stuff happens.

5. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    While I find the idea intriguing, I don't think it would be a good idea. It would be too easy for Lucas to give us a weak Episode III and then toss in an Epilogue reading:

"Oh yeah, and OB1 and Anakin had this kick-@$$ duel. Off-screen. Mace died gloriously. Off-screen. The Rebellion started. Off-screen."

It seems that Lucas is allowing thematically important things to happen, but focussing attention elsewhere (witness Yoda *describing* Anakin's slaughter of the Tuskens, as well as the rumors that the Clone Wars will be largely over by the time Ep. III starts). I want to *see* the important plot elements, not have them described to me. I think an Epilogue would give GL too much wiggle room with what he includes and what he doesn't.

6. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    it does sound like a cool idea, but like everyone else, it wouldn't work. think about people seeing it 1-6, they would be confused about why the have that stuck right in the middle.

7. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    While I think it would be nice to have something to tie up loose ends that MAY exist at the end, I think that all that stuff should be addressed in Ep III.

There really shouldn't be anything big happen in those years between films. We find out all we need to know from Obi-Wan when he calls those intermediate years the "dark times."

8. Dampo

Dampo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2002
    Maybe a quick 1..at the very end, right before the credits.

We saw some dead Jedi

The Death Star

9. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    No. Never will it happen either; more chance of Lucas erasing Jar Jar from MENACE.

10. The_Dark_Angel

The_Dark_Angel Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    I too think that it would be funny if the movie ended on such a dark note and then suddenly play the happy credits song. But I don't think he'll do this any differently than any of the other Eps.

11. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    No, it should not have an elipogue. It would be jarring, and it would look weird to just have an epilogue in the middle. Besides, the jarring is a good effect when we see how much has (and hasn't) changed in the OT.

"Holy banthas, that's luke skywalker? I remember him when he was just a baby! ...Still has the whine, I see..."

12. Eye_of_the_Droid

Eye_of_the_Droid Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2002
    I totally agree with Daughter_of_Yubyub, for people in future generations, who will watch the films in order, will probably think it's weird that right in the middle of the saga, there's an epilouge. Plus, I think it'll ruin the consistency that I love so much about Star Wars. AND, It'll split apart the two trilogies.

13. Darth_Marty

Darth_Marty Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2002
    The two trilogies are pretty split already.

14. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    If the film is handled properly, there will be no need for such a thing. If there are THAT many loose ends that still need tying up by the end of Episode III then I'll know Lucas really has lost it.

Stylistically, I don't think it will be jarring at all. Both ESB and AOTC end on a down note, but through good use of music and imagery it still seems perfectly natural when that up-tempo "Star Wars" theme kicks in. If Episode III did not end the same way as the others, it would break with the established style. It would be the "odd man out".

15. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    The epilogue should go like this:

INTERMISSION

16. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    I believe that an epilouge would be inconsistant with the other films. GL likes keeping things the same. He'll end the film with about a full minute of the yet-to-be-recorded Episode 3 theme with the imperial march pasted in somewhere. This minute of music should tie up loose ends and possibly throw a surprise at you. This'll be followed by the main theme and credits. NO EPILOUGE!!! Good ol' George. He's so predictibly brilliant!

17. eguang

eguang Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Well, it could end happily if the last scenes where the ones when Obi 1 delivers the twins to their surrogate parents with a talk that not everything is lost, that these kids are the future of the universe.

18. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    I think at the end instead of the normal end film music it should start playing the Imperial March full bore. I just think that would be cool.

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    It's funny you should mention the music because I always thought it was ihlarious that ESB ended on a pretty smber note considering and then just burst in with the happy jingle.
    You can end it plenty of ways and still have the music work without an epilogue.

20. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    i think the perfect "epilogue" would be:

PLEASE READ THE EXTENDED
    UNIVERSE
    FOR MORE THRILLING
    ADVENTURES.

READ ABOUT 30 DEATHSTARS
    BEING CONSTRUCTED AT THE
    SAME TIME AND OTHER CRAP.

THE EXTENDED UNIVERSE IS
    JUST AS REAL AS THE MOVIES.
    YOU SHOULD READ THEM...

talk about a depressing ending. i think i would cry.

21. ben_07

ben_07 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Maybe Lucas should redo the Episode 4 opening scroll so he can fit in stuff, because I doubt he'll have an ending scroll.

22. DarthDooku

DarthDooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2000
    The last few scenes of Episode III are going to be extremely interesting in terms of the content and the way that Lucas will express this content.

Will there be Epilogue? Maybe, it's an interesting idea. It could be driven by a character's soliloquy, by a montage set to music, or who knows what.

The story of Star Wars is the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. I would have to believe that the Image of Darth Vader will be included in the very last scenes, and will be coupled with Obi-Wan and/or his children.

Is there a thread out there for creating a last scene in Episode III?

DD

23. Darf_Vader

Darf_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    --Like many of you have already said, I think it would be a good idea, but I'm afraid it would make it too easy for Mr. Lucas to gloss over many important plot elements.
    --Specifically with regard to the Jedi purge, I don't think it will be shown on-screen. I think it should be set up with Vader telling his master (Palpatine) that he has vowed to destroy the Jedi. For those (like me) who are really interested, there's always the novels and comics. I think once Ep.3 is released, we're going to see an unbelievable amount of material being written about the Purge, and about the tyranny of the New Order in general.
    --I can't really tell GL how to do his job, but I think the best thing to do for the ending would be Vader standing next to Palpatine with the Imperial March blaring loud as heck, then cutting to Obi-Wan walking into the desert after he's handed Luke to Owen and Beru with Binary Sunset playing. Then the credits would play with the main them as usual.

24. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    It's Expanded Universe. Get it right. And GL would never do a thing like that anyway.

I think Episode III will be handled like any other SW movie. We'll probably just get a hint of what's to come towards the end of the film, but if that's done right, I'll be satisfied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.