main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Episode 3 feature a predominant Space Battle that ends the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ElfStar, Jun 14, 2002.

?

Should Episode 3 feature a predominant Space Battle that ends the Clone Wars?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Yes- It would contrast nicely with the land battle at the end of AotC

61.3%
  2. No, there should be another land battle.

4.2%
  3. A land battle and a space battle.

29.4%
  4. There should be no battles

0.8%
  5. Anything with explosions and CGI!

4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    not only should we have a nice space battle, the movie should be at least 4 hours long. YEAH!

(i'm not kidding)

2. Ken1138

Ken1138 Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    Well here is my 2 cents , i think that the biggest space battle in the whole saga should be in E3 , heres my reasoning , in RoTJ there was no real threat to the the empire (Or so they thought) so the where probly a lil lack on the navy , but in E3 the republic is up for grabs , its everyone for them selfs , the control of the entire galaxy is at stake , winner take all , and as far as a light saber deul , yes on a smaller scale (exept for the obi - ani thing )

3. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    yeah i want a big dirty space battle :)

4. fan_padawan

fan_padawan Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002
    I want the space battle to be around the death star and ani and obi fighting on a planet under it

5. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "I want the space battle to be around the death star"

[face_plain]

6. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    As long as it doesn't top ROTJ, I'll be happy. I mean, sure we all want the last Star Wars movie ever to be a massive conclusion, but we have to remember this isn't a conclusion. This is the middle of the saga, and things should getb etter as we go along. If everything in the OT was topped in the PT, everything would seem anti-climactic then.

7. Tool_of_Vader

Tool_of_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2002
    NO MORE LAND BATTLES!!! The one's we've had have been nothing short of AMAZING, but when i heared that episodes I, II & III were being made the first thing I thought of was SPACE BATTLES, and plenty of them!!

So far in the PT, we've not had much luck with this. Star Wars as the name suggests is founded on space ship combat. The best moments in the OT were the Death Star assults because they were the pinacle of what the films were about.

Unfortunatly the PT hasn't been kind to us in this respect (although the Jedi starfighter/slave 1 battle in II was very good indeed) and I think this needs to be addressed in III as much as the turning of Anakin!!

Imagine it: Star Destroyers launching waves of Tie fighters (no interceptors) against N-1's, Jedi starfighters, Z-95's, Y-wings with their original armor still on, several republic cruisers and so much more. Intercut this with Tie Bombers leveling such locations as Theed City while Obi-wan/vader/mace/dooku/yoda/etc fight it out with sabres. I never said we should scrap the other types of fighting, but there DEFINATLY needs to be a substantial space fighting element or I will be asking for my money back!

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I think there should be 3 battles
    1. there should be a space battle
    2. there should be a land battle
    3 there should be a water battle

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I'd kill to see a space battle. Not only will it contrast nicely with AotC's land battle, it'll be reminiscent of the OT. :)

GO 'CLONES!

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'm all for another major scale space battle.

11. The Sixth Stench

The Sixth Stench Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    I don't want another space battle. I want to keep something unique in the OT

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Another? Stinky, we've only had one decent-sized space battle in the entire PT. There's two massive ones in the OT, plus plenty of action with the Falcon. So far the PT has parallelled the OT in terms of battles, so there's already nothing original about it. Think about it:

Ep 1/4: Big final space battle, couple of smaller chase scenes

Ep 2/5: Big ground battle, close-up asteroid fight

Ep 3/6: HUGE space battle (hopefully, anyway)

If GL keeps up the parallels with the OT, he'll put a big space battle in.

13. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Yea, that would explain why Anakin has been praised as the best pilot of the Galaxy and a cunning warrior.

14. The Sixth Stench

The Sixth Stench Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 1999
    I'd hardly call the TPM space battle a "major" action piece. The lightsaber duels, palace infiltration and even the land battle far outclassed it. Most of the PT has been about land and lightsaber battles. The OT was about, mainly, space battles. I feel it should be kept that way.

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I think the crappiness of the TPM space battle is exactly why people want at least one big skirmish in Ep3. It was still integral to the larger campaign in TPM, though. Land battles are all well and good, but I still have no clue why Anakin is the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy. I'm hoping GL can explain this with a few visual aids in Ep3.

16. FisherSpeaker

FisherSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002
    yeah, a huge space with lots of things blown up.

:D

[face_devil]

17. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Yes, to see Anakin being the best star pilot in the galaxy! And Kenobi being a General, maybe.

:D

18. DarthDooku

DarthDooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2000
    Black_Saber,

I was thinking along the same lines. I envision the following for the opening scene of Episode III:

After the introductory scroll we pan down to find ourselves right in the middle of the action of a huge intense space battle. Everyone is involved -- the Jedi, the Naboo, the Republic Star Ships and the Separatists (Trade Federation).

The battle rages on for several minutes as we begin to see more and more similarities to PT fighters and ships. Anakin and Obi-Wan are pilots and are leading the air attack, with Anakin performing some amazing flying maneuvers, sometimes to save Obi-Wan, to turn the tide of the battle.

The battle takes place above a planet with a heavy atmposhere, and we can see ships dancing in and out of the clouds as ships evade each other in space and underneath the atmosphere. The camera pans down again and we zoom into a bird's eye view of a massive, massive land battle similar to Episode II. We see low flying transports, ground assault vehicles, Jedi, driods, etc. Padme is working with the Jedi to coordinate efforts of the land battle, and the separation from Anakin is lending tension to the scene, as she is endangered several times by ground attacks.

Whew.....this is tough work!!

19. petetbfilms1

petetbfilms1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2002
    It has to be dramatic, climatic and epic!!! It's the last SW!!!! It has to top everything that has ever been; sci-fi, fantasy, and action films together!!!

20. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    The lack of space combat has been one of the disapointing aspects of the PT as far as I'm concerned. This is the chance to correct that and given the fact that their should be two reasonably well matched military forces it has the potential to be the best SW battle ever.

21. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    No space battles, like someone else said, that should be something that happens more in the OT. A land battle at night time on a misty planet is what we should get. I vote nay.

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm a little ambivalent towards this. On the one hand, a huge space battle in E3 would give Lucas the chance to show off just how KEWL the Empire is (and needless to say, on the slim chance that Vader were to be given a role in the battle, I would be even happier). On the other hand, Lucas could end up upstaging himself if the E3 battle were much better looking effects-wise than what the OT had to offer.

23. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    The space"battle" in TPM sucked. And there wasn't anything like space battle in AOTC. OB1 chasing Slave 1 isn't a "battle", it's just a space chase. So a fleet of VSDs driving through a fleet of TradeFed-kugelships would be great. With hundreds of fighters. HUNDREDS.
    I wouldn't dislike another land battle, because it looked cool in the earlier films. Maybe we could see AT-PTs, too. Not that I cared too much, but it could be nice.
    And there's no way that EpIII huge space battle would top ROTJ-battle, because there couldn't be so many huge ships. The scale would be smaller.

24. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    We are due a major capital ship to captital ship battle like ROTJ. We have had 2 major awesome land battles. It's time for an awesome space battle. Something that crushes the separatists war fleet.

25. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Remember, what the ROTJ battle has going for it in addition to the space battle is the final showdown between Luke and Vader. Opening Episode III with a space battle would work fine even with a huge, impressive clash of starships, because it wouldn't have the underlying drama that the ROTJ battle did.

Lucas intentionally pulled his punch with the TPM space battle, and it shows. He can't do that in the last ever Star Wars movie and get away with it... if he has a space battle, it's gotta be one for the ages, and let ROTJ continue to stand on its own. IMHO it always will because of the unique drama inherent in the ROTJ battle.

Let it rip, G.!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.