main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Episode IX be the final film in the Skywalker Saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KamenSentaiMetalHero, Dec 25, 2017.

?

Should the Skywalker Saga end with Episode IX?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes. The argument could be made it already is but we are down that road. Going forward, they need to create new stories.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    The Regular Mustache likes this.
  2. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    It already was a space opera (heavy on the "opera", as in soap operas with melodramatic storylines reminiscent of the opera genre made for housewives with advertisements for soap in between).

The fanboys were just hoodwinked from thinking icky things like will they/won't they romance, long lost relatives, murderous or conniving relatives, melodramatic revenge/redemption/tragedy plots and family drama didn't belong in between their cool space and lightsaber battles and funny creatures. The meat of the stories is pure space opera. The rest is mythologically-inspired, fantasy window dressing with a sci-fi flavor. The human element is still the story.

It wouldn't be Star Wars without the space opera family and romantic drama storylines, no matter how hard some try to pretend it isn't arguably the most important aspect of the saga.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    The force, cool spaceships, lightsabers, and lasers flying is all Star Wars needs nowadays it seems

4. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Considering the last Skywalker is currently a psychopath, it's pretty likely that SW is moving beyond the Skywalkers.

Bowen likes this.
  5. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Never!!!!!!!!!
    I want a future episode where maybe Ben solo becomes some kind of intergalactic entrepreneur running some kind of fuel company/conglomerate. And he marries a coruscanti socialite who their daughter despises for intruding in the skywalker dynasty. At the end of the first part of the new trilogy, his ex wife (we'll call her Alexis) will show up and move into a naboo penthouse in a building owned by Heather Locklear

more space opera. Or as Ben solo would say "MOOOAAARRRRR!!!"

6. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    Heather Locklear in Star Wars?

7. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    You didn't get my reference. Probably because you're young.

Cantina Regular likes this.
  8. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Yes IX will be the last of the Skywalker trilogies. I expect the end will show the New Jedi Order in its infancy which will be the legacy of Luke Skywalker. We will get ep 10-12 in a number of years, probably following Rian's trilogy and it will show the adventures of Rey, Finn (their children??), Poe etc when the NJO is established to some degree. They will want to bring these characters back for sure but will have a lapse for a while. RJ's trilogy fills that void nicely.

Bowen likes this.
  9. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    I got your reference. I also died a little bit inside.

Bowen likes this.
  10. edustarling

edustarling Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2017
    Don't forget that Leia is Skywalker. I still think they won't kill her offscreen. Possibly they will recast her (hello Meryl Streep, I'm talking to you, you already played Carrie on screen before)

11. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Episode 7 could have established the New Jedi Order, the legacy of Luke Skywalker. The adventures of Rey, Finn and Poe could've easily been set against that backdrop. But instead, we get a rehash of the OT to do away with legacy characters and make the new characters look stronger and generally better.

12. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    There is zero chance they will recast Carrie Fisher.

13. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    I don't see how they can make another Skywalker saga unless its just a rehash. But they could easily make more trilogies as the star wars world does have lot of good stories to tell.

14. KamenSentaiMetalHero

Dec 19, 2017
    Were you referring to Melrose Place?

15. KamenSentaiMetalHero

Dec 19, 2017
    When did Meryl Streep portrayed Leia?

16. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    She was in Postcards from the Edge.

She won't be portraying Leia.

17. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I think leaving it open works. IX can feel like it wraps up all 9 episodes, but there's no reason IMO to close it forever. In 20 years they could ask if they are interested in making another episode.

18. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Aaron spelling in general. Dynasty. Me prose. Since people were referencing space opera. Space. Soap.

It fell flatter than flat. Woe is me

19. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    I think 10 or 12 would be a more satisfying length for the series, but in some ways VIII seems to be the end.
    Someone said that if we had a fourth trilogy we wouldn't know what to call it, so I'm suggesting FT, which could stand for either Final Trilogy or Fourth Trilogy.
    There could be an IT (Interquel Trilogy) between the OT and ST, though they would obviously have to recast Luke, Leia, Han, etc, unless they wanted to go the controversial route of CGI à la Tarkin/RO Leia.
    I have reservations about aspects of how the ST has been handled, but that doesn't inherently mean that more episodes are a bad idea. RO is a prequel to IV (not an episode in the strict sense admittedly) and is almost a masterpiece.

20. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    nah, they should bring back Luke.

He is the only Jedi to come back from joining the force cause he is so cool.

21. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I disagree with the question as I reflect on it further.

It is the Star Wars saga. You just started with Skywalker centric entries. I no longer care about the trilogy format, not that I oppose it but I'm all for telling as many chapters as your storytelling requires.

If you only need two movies and not three then do it. If you've got four or five that I cool too.
    Three was a solid number for the OT though probably there were good stories to be told yet.
    I think the PT would have been stronger with at least four films instead of depending so heavily on a cartoon series that came later to tell the full epic tale and put some richness into the characters and their relationships.

I'm good with saga one offs too.

Don't have a story in the main line for decades so be it. Got them coming every two or three years for twenty is great.

Whenever you got some weird fantasy/fairy tale/space opera/serial a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away growing and branching from here that is what the Star Wars saga is for.

22. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    The Skywalker's have been the backbone of Star Wars forever, and I'm very sad to see the movies drift away from the generational/familial saga. However, if these two movies are how they deign to treat the Skywalkers? Then, yes, I'm glad they're moving on.

Though, I'm unsure if I'll come along for the ride.

23. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    He will be back as a force ghost. Guaranteed. IMHO LOL.

But I'm glad. Already had 8 movies about Skywalkers. I'm done with them. Brilliant while they lasted but I want something new. Bring it on.

24. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Well there will be 9 movies about the Skywalkers because of Kylo Ren, but yes, I don't need it to go beyond that.

25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, please stop with the Skywalkers. Then the childhoods will be preserved, and we can create new heroes which will be allowed to be human, you know, failing, and stuff.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018