main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should future high quality SW games be as canon as the movies?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by San-Tarah, Nov 22, 2012.

?

Should they be?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2021.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    The gaming industry evolved a lot since Kyle Katarn left the gaming scene. If they would put out something as good as ME i would want it to be D/G level canon. What is your opinion?

Mav Edit: This really isn't an Episode 7 discussion. I'm going to move this to games.

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Only the films should be cannon.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  3. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    The games should only be known as games.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To hell with canon.

CT-867-5309 and Cantina Bassist like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If there was a SW themed cannon would that be considered canon? Likewise, if they shoot the films using Canon cameras do the cameras themselves qualify as canon?

LANDO_ROCKS and The_Hellhammer like this.
  6. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    Even when they are batter cinematic experience then TPM. ME is superior compared to TPM. Better dialogue , better aliens and better story

7. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    Would you like to see a reimagined jedi order where only gungans can use the force?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would like to see people stop bickering what is canon and what is not and just enjoy whatever piece of franchise suits them most.
    Your overly extreme example is wide off the mark.

fenton likes this.
  9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    That actually sounds like it could be a crazy fun animation project.

MrZAP and Random Comments like this.
  10. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I would like to never see the words "Jedi Order" again. Every time I do I involuntarily roll my eyes. I'm obviously an intolerant Anti-EUist.

11. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    What is your beef with the Order?

12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I enjoy the games. In fact up until about 2005 I only played SW games. In fact I'm playing The Old Republic MMORPG right now.

That said there's some lame elements included in the games that aren't worthy of being canon. Also, the movies shouldn't be shackled to games or EU elements. In order to have the strongest, most exciting story the producers should be able to pick and choose or ignore any element from the EU to include games.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  13. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Good question. Disregard my post. I'm posting before thinking again.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  14. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    "
    That said there's some lame elements included in the games that aren't worthy of being canon. Also, the movies shouldn't be shackled to games or EU elements. "

If they want to they can easily pick an era where there is next to nothing. They are not shackled.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The games have been going steadily downhill since 2005 or so. So no. :p

Zeta1127 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I disagree. By having to pick an era where there is next to nothing the producers would be shackled. Screw EU even the games and make the best movies possible. In fact, I think we're going to see the next series after the ST be set in the times of the Old Republic when there are plenty of Sith and Jedi battling. And KK and co shouldn't be constrained to what has already been released.

17. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    "The games have been going steadily downhill since 2005 or so. So no.'
    We don't know for sure unless we see 1313.

18. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    I still don't get how they would be shackled. What is the knid of story that they could not do?

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    It's simple really. IF you conceptualize that everything that came before or after the movies is canon -- written in stone -- the producers are shackled. This is how. Say they want to bring Kyle Katarn into the ST. They can't because "it's canon." Kyle Katarn existed before the OT.

IMO the producers should not even consider the EU or games, for that matter, except if there are elements they like. In another thread I said I'd like to see the Mandalorians, Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and Black Sun in the ST even if those elements are out of place according to the EU.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    One game, even if it is extremely good, doesn't displace 7 years of lazy Battlefront mooching and the TFU mess. At least not to me. :p

I mean, seriously. Lucasarts has been a freaking mess for nearly a decade. TFU was apparently "okay", TFU 2 sunk the series. They haven't managed to get off a third Battlefront game, which is insane given that the second one was their best-selling game of all time and is still pretty popular. They haven't pandered to the smaller Bounty Hunter/Republic Commando fanbases, despite Republic Commando 2 speculation STILL popping up as recently as April 2010. Whoever is/was making marketing decisions over there is a moron, especially given how wide-spread popularity is enjoyed by the rest of the EU.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    edit: nevermind

22. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Battlefront was a great game.

23. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    It's highly unlikely that they would want to use EU characters.

24. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Personally, I thought the SOTE project was great back in the day. Though the flip side to that is TFU which is now not considered official canon and falls on the same level as all the other games, books and comics. The TFU is too destructive in my opinion to be canon anyway.

As to future games be considered canon? I don't think so but I do have an open mind... It all depends on the project, the quality, reason behind it and the execution of it... and most importantly: the level of George's involvement. Using a different film franchise as an example; Aliens: Colonial Marines. It is considered to be the official sequel to Aliens and had some involvement and influence from Ridley Scott and several other people that worked on those films. They also hope to even make you see and think differently about Alien 3. The reimagined version of GoldenEye had Daniel Craig... and also had the set designers and script writers from the original GoldenEye film to help 'modernise' the story for this type of Bond.

It has potential but they are two different mediums with different expectations... especially comparing the linearity of films to the multiple levels of interactivity the player experiences/choices in the game format.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I was of the impression TFU is pretty much canon anyway given how much input Lucas had in the story. Essentially it was his official bridge between Episodes III & IV, at least in part.