main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Should future star wars films take more risks.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jangounchained1990, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Okay so this is something I have been thinking about. Allot of people say that the empire should not be the main villains through out the sequel trilogy and that disney is just making ANH 0.2. However star wars film have always been trying to get attention through familiarity. TPM is probably the closest I can think of when it comes to star wars films that was not feeding of fan service and even that film had R2-D2 and C3PO shoehorned because familiarity sells.

Personally I am fine with the old cast being back and the empire still being the main antagonists but to those who have been complaining should the second sequel take more risks and just drop all the old characters that has been us since the very first film and introduce new villains until the only thing that reminds us of the older films are the different species and planets?

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't mind seeing Luke, Leia, etc. but X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and Stormtroopers look out of place IMO. That makes it feel too familiar. Look at the in-story chronological evolution of equipment/soldiers from the PT to the OT, why hasn't there been more like that between the OT and ST?

DBPirate likes this.
  3. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Good question.

I don't mind seeing old characters as long as their presence in the movie doesn't seem forced or too coincidental for a film that spans the width of a galaxy.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think SW has to be 'modern' nor do I think many known elements are bad and it's likely FO is NOT simply just Empire but I'm GLAD they aren't acting like Endor equals crushed like some here. It's the Rebels and Jedi that stand to gain the most with actually dealing with them as people for once. Familiarity isn't fan service either.

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  5. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015
    How should they deal with them more as people? You mean using diplomacy as opposed violence.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, of course. First simply acknowledging it would be good but I mean being forced to *work together* so hopefully they finally see how futile the whole thing is. Yes, I know unlikely but I really do want the stupidity to cease. I am not one that enjoys pointless cyclical violence particularly when almost all difference is claimed by words and NOT shown.

7. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015
    Well the rebels never blew up a whole planet. Unless you count the two death stars but I always view them as space stations rather then planets. You may disagree but I do find the rebels overall to be better people.

DaveyWanKenobi likes this.
  8. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I don't know how much Disney will take risks, trying to win back the whining fanboys and all. George took a risk with Jar Jar and people didn't take him very well.

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I think future STAR WARS films should take some risks. I don't mind if they had brought in a few of the characters from the old trilogy or make some references to it. After all, the saga's main narrative has to be continuous. But there seemed to be too many aspects from the OT films for "The Force Awakens". It feels a bit too much like a rehash. And I really hope that the movie proves me wrong and display some true originality and not cave in to fan service and throw originality completely into the wind.

Since it is human nature to do stupid things or make a lot of mistakes, it's only natural that such traits will reflect in the characters. The two former trilogies reflected a good number of mistakes made by the characters. And it's only natural that the same will happen to many of the characters in this new trilogy. Without their occasional mistakes and stupidity, I feel there is no drama. I find it hard to relate to a character who is all knowing or all wise.

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The old guys are there to make the transition easier. I'm not worried about that.
    I think C3PIO and R2 are, as commonly said, the audience. They are not central to the stories, but they are our fellow observers.

Can Star Wars escape the John Williams Major Key Score Blockbuster?
    Can someone make a lower budget, less noisy, movie?
    Rogue One promises to be more War Movie, but it still has to be kid safe. It's not going to be American Sniper.

There are strong boundaries, that I think can only be broken in comics and novels.

11. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Yes, I think they should take more risks, but not to where it will ruin the story.