main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should George go back and remake the CG graphics/scenes in Episode 4-6?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Indy3, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Should George go back and remake the CG graphics/scenes in Episode 4-6?

Iam watching Episodes 1-2 and thinking about Episode 3 and it occurs to me after you watch Episode 3 with all the awesome CG and 3d that when you watch episodes 4-6 its going to look horrendous quality compared to episodes 1-3.

So should George go back and tweak/make/modify all the CG scenes to make the scenes more up to datee?

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Polish 'em up, sharpen the image as much as possible, eliminate the last few matt line faults etc and put it in 5.1 surround.

That should be what they need to do, no need to re-do shots or anything. Just polish it up :)

3. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    what about the stormtroopers?

should be make them CG like AOTC?

ANd he needs to sharpen them up

4. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh no. Now you've done it.

** Enter OT purists any second now **

Personally it wouldn't bother me if they tweaked some of the effects, but I don;t want to see any additions.

5. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    not additions replacements

6. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yeah I'm for tweaks but not replacements. Too obvious.

I warn you, the OT purists will turn up eventually, and I'd be ready with your flame-retardant suit. They don't even want the emperors slugs removed they're that strict. EDIT: I'll add in a ;) because I didn't actually mean it that seriously.

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm an OT purist and I think you're exaggerating how bad we are. The graphics should be touched-up. There's nothing wrong with that.

8. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
  9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    As am I, well to a very large extent. I don't really want any new additions, however, I would not mind the graphics being sharpened up and adding in Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine in ESB.

10. DARTH_CONFEDERATE

DARTH_CONFEDERATE Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    They should remake Jabba in ANH because he looks totally different from TPM and ROTJ. Also, in ROTJ, they should bring back the original music from Jabba's Palace.

11. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    "touching it up" is what's needed...but why on earth would you want REAL people in REAL stormtrooper armor replaced with FAKE-CGI (COMPUTER GENERATED IMAGE) !?!?!?

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    replaced with FAKE-CGI

Uh, as opposed to...?

I forgot a point above, they should put McDiarmid in ESB as well.

13. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Maybe its just me, btu I think the FX in the OT stand up fairly well, especailly givent he look Lucas was going for in them. There are only a few touch-ups that would need to be done.

-ANH's lightsabers.
    -Fix up Jabba a bit, at least make it so Han's hand doesn't disapear into him.
    -In ESB, you can see light colored boxes surrounding the TIE Fighters.
    -The Rancor matte lines

That's all that comes to mind.

14. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    As others have said just polishing and touching up some of the images and effects - no new additions. Why mess with a good thing? :)

15. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I think he should touch it up with ILM
    like the explosions

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm not against touch-ups as long as CGI is not involved. The removal of matte lines and the little white boxes around ships are all that is needed. We don't need to see CGI stormtroopers and CGI X-Wings and TIE's. I don't care what anyone says, models and people in costumes and masks look better than stuff created on the computer.

17. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    1. Fix Jabba in ANH
    2. All the targetting screens in ANH. They clash with every other screen interface in both CT and PT. (My biggest pet peeve.)
    3. That red screen showing the process of destroying DS1 in ANH...the one with that "blip-blip-blip" sound.
    4. DS1 and DS2 explosions.
    5. Obi-wan's light saber during Obi-wan vs. Vader.
    6. Add/Insert targets for the Storm-trooper line-of-fire so they don't look so inept compared to their Clone-trooper counterparts.
    7. Get rid of that Hoth monster hand puppet and asteroid hand puppet. Also, change the CG Hoth monster...they used the same model for one of the aquatic creatures in TPM (the one biting the smaller fish in half).
    8. Fix matte lines and vaselined pics (e.g., speeders).
    9. Luke force throws a rock/something to close gate on that monster in ROTJ. (optional, not necessary at all)
    10. Add shot/scene of Imperial Senate disbanding.(also optional, not necessary)
    11. Fix "Uncle Owen! This R2 unit has a bad blah blah."
    12. Fix Han understanding Hutteese in ANH but not understanding Hutteese in ROTJ.
    13. Either remove "new" zooming/reframe effect from AOTC and probably Ep3 or add simulated zooming effects somewhere in CT. Putting that into AOTC was a mistake and throws the cinematographic aesthetic of SW movies out of whack.
    14. Add extended score into ANH (pretty silent at the beginning...and it's made more obvious because of the rest of the SW movies constant score).
    15. Add scene of Naboo at celebration end with a statue of Padme in background(optional, not necessary).

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Han does understand huttese in ROTJ. When Threepio explained what would happen to them, he didn´t translate what Jabba was saying right then, he said something Jabba had said to him earlier.

19. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    "1. Fix Jabba in ANH
    2. All the targetting screens in ANH. They clash with every other screen interface in both CT and PT. (My biggest pet peeve.)
    3. That red screen showing the process of destroying DS1 in ANH...the one with that "blip-blip-blip" sound.
    4. DS1 and DS2 explosions.
    5. Obi-wan's light saber during Obi-wan vs. Vader.
    6. Add/Insert targets for the Storm-trooper line-of-fire so they don't look so inept compared to their Clone-trooper counterparts.
    7. Get rid of that Hoth monster hand puppet and asteroid hand puppet. Also, change the CG Hoth monster...they used the same model for one of the aquatic creatures in TPM (the one biting the smaller fish in half).
    8. Fix matte lines and vaselined pics (e.g., speeders).
    9. Luke force throws a rock/something to close gate on that monster in ROTJ. (optional, not necessary at all)
    10. Add shot/scene of Imperial Senate disbanding.(also optional, not necessary)
    11. Fix "Uncle Owen! This R2 unit has a bad blah blah."
    12. Fix Han understanding Hutteese in ANH but not understanding Hutteese in ROTJ.
    13. Either remove "new" zooming/reframe effect from AOTC and probably Ep3 or add simulated zooming effects somewhere in CT. Putting that into AOTC was a mistake and throws the cinematographic aesthetic of SW movies out of whack.
    14. Add extended score into ANH (pretty silent at the beginning...and it's made more obvious because of the rest of the SW movies constant score).
    15. Add scene of Naboo at celebration end with a statue of Padme in background(optional, not necessary)."

DS1 and DS2 explosions look fine. Leave em alone.

"Add/Insert targets for the Storm-trooper line-of-fire so they don't look so inept compared to their Clone-trooper counterparts." no. leave it alone.

"Fix "Uncle Owen! This R2 unit has a bad blah blah." scene." no. leave it alone.

"Fix Han understanding Hutteese in ANH but not understanding Hutteese in ROTJ." what! I thought he understood it perfectly well in ROTJ also. leave it alone.

"Either remove "new" zooming/reframe effect from AOTC and probably Ep3 or add simulated zooming effects somewhere in CT. Putting that into AOTC was a mistake and throws the cinematographic aesthetic of SW movies out of whack." Um, pal, they do that in all of the OT films too, not so much in ANH though. I might add a few shots of zoom in ANH, but that's it.

Other than those disagreements, I agree with the other changes you posted. Although some of your changes are absolutely unnecessary and stupid, the others are very good.

I completely agree about extending the score in ANH, and fixing Jabba in ANH, the targeting screens, the Death Star plans, the lightsabers, the matte lines, and adding Naboo at the end celebration in ROTJ.

I'd also fix all lightsabers throughout the trilogy.

20. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    I am certainly not a purist but it seems funny that people cry for all these changes, but then when he gives them to us, we rip the changes up (special edition). I dont like all the changes but there have been alot of great ones that I feel make it hold up against the prequels (technology wise).

Its ironic that people would hate the thing they ask for.

21. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    They need to change the Death Star plans in ANH to the ones we see in AOTC. The ANH plans look like crap, and it doesn't even resemble the actual DS!

22. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I'd like to see some of the things listed above fixed as well as the TIE fighters; in the beginning of the space battle in RotJ they appear out of nowhere.

And like that...he's gone.

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Lucas already did remake CGI sequences.

It was called the SPECIAL EDITIONS!

24. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think the DS1 and DS2 (slightly better) explosions look too fireworks-like. It just goes BOOM! The Droid Ship in TPM exploded correctly. Okay, I defer. Didn't bother me all that much. optional :)

I still stand by the zoom-in. I was referring to in AOTC in 2 scenes in particular during the end battle. Far away shot of Jedi Convoy ship (can't think of the actual name right now) and since it was digitally shot, you can "crop" zoom into the interior of the ship. That wasn't in the other movies because they weren't digitally filmed and couldn't allow for such a clean sudden crop zoom (again I forget the correct term for this). AOTC was also credited as the first movie to ever do that. The same effect happens near that scene when they zoom through the sand blowing into a tower full of clone-troopers walking around. I just figure either take that out of aotc...its jarring or you could add a similar effect to a scene like Cloud City and Leia's walking around in that tower (SE). That's already been digitally altered enough that it could be passable. Plus it's the same camera shot/angle as the CTrooper zoom in AOTC. So...preferably, take it out of AOTC instead of altering OT.

Added: The zoom is sort of like a Super-Zolly-In.

25. Tracer_Bullet

Tracer_Bullet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    I am completely in favor of Lucas going back and "tweaking" the graphics in the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.