main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Hayden or Ewan cameo in Rogue or Han spin off

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Star Searcher, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    If they get their own spinoffs, I'm in. There is so much material left for these 2 characters. I would be fine with then in Rogue One as well, Hayden more than Ewan as it would be more of a Vader-centric story and Obi-Wan is sitting in his hut on Tatooine at the time. I'm not even excited about the Han Solo spinoff so I couldn't care less who's in that or what it's about so I think the only thing that would interest me at all would be for Hayden or Ewan to show up. Heck, bring Natalie back too, just for kicks.

Shamear likes this.
  2. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2014
    No to both. Once Vader puts on the mask we shouldn't see his face again until ROTJ.

Obi Wan knows nothing of the theft of the Death Star plans, so shouldn't be in R1. Unless they want to violate canon and shrink the universe again, and then in that case, the droids being dropped on Tatooine is part of a grand scheme devised by Ben and Yoda to drag Luke into the GCW.

WookieeRage likes this.
  3. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I don't know that I agree with this. I don't think it would diminish A New Hope because obviously Bail sent Leia to him with the request to come to Alderaan and help with the Death Star plans, so something very clearly could have happened with them. I mean, she risked her crew, her ship, and herself to get to him, so clearly there is a potential role for Obi-Wan.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Shrugs, it may or may not be correct, but I won't be surprised if Disney keeps changing things and inserting whatever the hell they feel like just to keep the old characters in circulation and make those almighty dollars.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd disagree, I don't see how he could play any role that takes him away from Tatooine. He is obviously unaware of any plans to get him involved, and Leia's ship just arrived at Tatooine when ANH starts. If Obi Wan had been involved in anything prior to that, Leia wouldn't have needed to pick him up. His important role is the bit in ANH, that's what Leia's mission was supposed to lead to.

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  6. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I agree that he wouldn't be able to leave Tatooine, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't in communication with Bail Organa. And all we know from ANH is what Leia knows, which isn't everything. It's entirely possible to have had Obi-Wan apprised of things and just not tell her. After all, he keeps a lot of secrets close in ANH.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    None of that would be of any importance for the movie though. It would just be added for the sake of having him in the movie, with no apparent use for the storyline. Obi Wan had been out of the loop for ages, it seems very unlikely that the rebels would risk exposing their plan by telling it everyone they know, the more you communicate, the higher the risk of it getting intercepted. It's not like Obi Wan could have been of any help for the mission. He can't do anything from Tatooine, and getting involved himself is the best way to get everyone's attention, which is the opposite of what they tried to do.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This would be a bad thing. I don't think it would make sense for either of them to appear in either film, particularly Hayden.

9. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    You have no information that the bolded is true outside of head canon. It could in fact have been that Obi-Wan was involved.

And again, in an advanced society, he can do a lot from Tatooine. The attention thing is a risk, but we have no idea whether or not it is one that was taken.

10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Cameos no, Easter Eggs sure. I have no issue seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan far in the background on Tatooine at a table eating, looking for a new power generator, or something, while a young Han Solo is doing something important in the foreground. A full blown cameo though is too far.

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Its an interesting question.

If they show Vader unmasked in Rogue One then I firmly believe they should use Hayden.

If they show Obi-Wan being contacted about Leia coming to him then at Tatooine then of course it should be Ewan, but does that raise any continuity issues with the original films?

I don't think we should see Vader or Obi Wan in the Han movie though. To a similar degree I'm not keen on them showing Han in Rogue One either. We are now getting in to the same territory as the Marvel films with little cameos placed here and there to set up future movies.

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Since Rogue One is much closer to the OT timeline than to the PT, I think they should use an actor that looks more like Shaw. Definitely not Hayden. Or do an Ant Man thing with Shaw's face, as long as it's very brief.

Jedi Older Code likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm hoping for no cameos from the Jedi. I think this story should focus on the empire/rebellion side of things. I SUPPOSE I'd be ok with a Ewan Mgregor (with a reverse "Ant-Man thing") cameo if and only if it works for the story (which I'm betting it doesn't), not just shoehorning him in, or setting up a whole pointless scene to add him in, like Wolverine in X Men Apocalypse.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  14. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Ewan/Obi-Wan: No. To me, just wouldn't make sense and would come off as obvious fan service and nothing more. Save him for the Obi-Wan Anthology I hope to hell we get.

Hayden/Vader: Yes, if there is a scene or scenes in Rogue One that require Vader to remove his helmet. That face we get to see should be Hayden's only. Now, Vader in a suit wouldn't have to be Hayden but personally I would still prefer it.

Side-mention to the ST: Seeing Hayden as Anakin's force ghost would be amazing and especially essential to Kylo, seeing his grandfather in some shape or form. This is what I am hoping for the most in regards to a "cameo" and is probably the best chance for HC.

Sepra likes this.
  15. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Getting an actor that "looks like Shaw" is not legal (please see Crispin Glover's law suit after Back to the Future II and I know he's dead but he still has an estate and you can also see Frank Sinatra on that account) and frankly since Hayden was Vader for over 4 hours of screen time he trumps Shaw's 4 minutes.

Deliveranze and QueenSabe7 like this.
  16. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Getting an actor who looks like him is perfectly legal. Getting an actor, then using prosthetics to make him look like Shaw without permission would not be legal.

17. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    You would have to add prosthetics, and I doubt any lawyer would want to skate the line where an estate would have a case, particularly when the alternative would be easier.

That's also not to mention that if any version of Vader doesn't make sense it's having a 70 year old play a 45 year old.

Edited: or the fact that to a large segment of people Hayden Christensen is Anakin/Vader. Hell, I grew up on the OT and he's more Vader to me than Shaw.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm not sure why it should be Hayden's face if Rogue One takes place immediately before ANH. In ROTJ, when we see Vader unmasked, it's Shaw's face. And, as far as I am aware, ROTJ is closer, in terms of timeframe, to RO than ROTS is.

So while I wouldn't mind if Hayden's face were used, I think it makes more sense to either use Shaw's face Ant Man style (if it's a brief glimpse), or to find an actor that looks more like Shaw. Though I suppose Hayden, with prosthetics, can be made to look like Shaw. So may not be a big deal.

There is nothing illegal about it, if they're careful. Shaw (or the Shaw family) do not own "visual depictions of people that look a lot like Shaw." As long as there was even a tiny difference between the prosthetic, and Shaw's actual face, there should be no problem with it. Easy ways around this, legally.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    And they did use prosthetics to make Wayne Pygram look like Peter Cushing. Although it looked awful so I hope they don't do that. Either get Hayden or another actor if Vader appears helmetless.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah, though it was a different art department that did the Cushing prosthetic. Plus, and this is an important difference, Vader's face (as both Shaw in ROTJ and Hayden in ROTS) is heavily burned and scarred, which makes a prosthetic version of it much easier to create than that of a regular old man like Tarkin. I think a prosthetic could be a good way to go if they're making another actor look like Shaw. But if they're going with Hayden's face, yeah. Just bring back Hayden.

21. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001

It's just my personal preference, to see Hayden's face rather than someone different. He is who I associate with Anakin/Vader more so than Shaw. As you say, with prosthetics and makeup a lot can be accomplished to make him more in line age-wise with the OT. I still think that if we will see Hayden return at all in the future, it is most likely in the ST than Rogue One, but I am staying hopeful. [face_praying]

Sepra and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Fair enough. Either way, it's not really a big deal, as Vader's face is heavily scarred and burnt. For me, even if they went with a different actor that doesn't look that much like either Hayden or Shaw, I would be OK with it. Just as I'm OK with a young Han Solo being played by an actor that doesn't look all that much like Ford. Ultimately, the actors are just playing the characters, just as different actors play the same Shakespeare characters. They are not the characters themselves.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  23. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    They had permission from Peter Cushing 's estate to do that in ROTS by the way. There's no guarantee that would happen again. George Lucas actually talks about getting permission.

But again, having an actor look like Shaw is not the right choice. Christensen is very close to the age of Vader in ANH (35 vs 43) so it makes more sense to keep it consistent. Shaw is the outlier at this point in looks.

As an aside I still wish Vader were out of this movie completely. But if there is an unmasked Vader, it really should be the same actor that has successfully played him.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Given the timeframe of RO, I think it's much more consistent for RO Vader to look like Shaw. However, I don't find significant value in this kind of consistency, so I'd be fine with Hayden, Shaw or someone who kinda, sorta looks like either one of them. As long as the short moment they have (if they have one) is well-acted.

25. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    No I don't think so. The only true cameo needed in Rogue One is Princess Leia! I think in order for this film to be fully satisfying we need to see the "hand off" of the Death Star plans to the Princess on board the Tantive IV. Nothing else will do really! I think that visual should be the last frame of the film. Just like Luke was in the Force Awakens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.